Code of Conduct

Default If we were to create a fragrance 'canon', what would be included?

I'm sure this question has been asked before, perhaps under a different guise, such as 'the best fragrances one should try'; that said, I thought it might be interesting to ask it again, under a more specific notion of wondering whether we can create a canonical 'list', and/or approach, to perfume.

Personally, I'm dubious about the notion of fragrance as 'art', per se, but I see many refer to it as such. Evidently there is something artistic about perfume, at the very least, and for all the 'postmodern' developments in perfume over the last, say, 20-30 years, where anti-perfume seems to be as popular or even more popular than the idea of creating something neo-classical, there is evidently a lot of love for what may be deemed the 'golden age' of perfume and the vintage fragrances that were created in that era. That's not to say that the list must solely be 'classical' perfumes, or comprised of vintage fragrances, but it surely has to be built upon the foundational concepts and creation of fragrance (or does it?).

So, if we can all agree that there is at the very least something artistic about perfume, for the sake of argument: if there were to be an attempt to include fragrance in the canon...

- how would you/we/whoever decide what is included, and the reasoning behind any inclusion/exclusion?

- what would you choose to be included (and excluded), and why?

Bit of a heavy one, I know, but hopefully something to sink your teeth in to if/when you have the time!
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Default Re: If we were to create a fragrance 'canon', what would be included?

I've gone back about 35 years and they are all masculines. I think they represent either movements away from the norm and so are quite bold/daring or are very typical examples of what the big houses think will sell in astonishing amounts, so making them interesting for that reason alone.

I don't actually like all of these, but, for me, they are all fascinating and should at least be tested and be included in any 'canon' of male fragrances. I have hardly touched any 'niche'.

Versace - L'Homme (original)
    Rive Gauche PH
    Habit Rouge
    M7 Fresh
    Cool Water
    Fahrenheit
    Bulgari Black
    Jubilation XXV
    Derby
    1Million
    Bleu
    A*Men
    Terre d'Hermes
    Dior Homme
    Aventus

Well I'd tentatively add 4711's Eau de Cologne should be a good starting point. Hopefully for obvious reasons.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Versace - L'Homme (original)
    Rive Gauche PH
    Habit Rouge
    M7 Fresh
    Cool Water
    Fahrenheit
    Bulgari Black
    Jubilation XXV
    Derby
    1Million
    Bleu
    A*Men
    Terre d'Hermes
    Dior Homme
    Aventus
    This is a good representation.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

I'll start with the letter A -

Aramis EDC
    il_1140xN.2261667935_6gi9.jpg

Azzaro Pour Homme EDT
    IMG_5875 (1).jpg

Avon for Men Cologne
    1554203148399.jpg

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain
    Currently wearing: Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Alphabetical canon, that's a great idea. Good call.
    For modern canon, I'd include Acqua Di Gio.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

I think fragrance has closer ties to fashion rather than art. Look at the 80s fashion which was brash, loud, garish sexuality, very much like the fragrances such as Poison and Jovan Musk.

For canonical works, I tend to think of legendary fragrances that define a fragrance family or an era. For example:

Jicky - the first modern perfume to use synthetics
    Mitsouko - reference chypre
    Shalimar - reference oriental
    Chanel No. 5 - reference aldehyde and probably still the most well-known perfume in the world
    Jean Patou Joy - legendary floral, marketed as the ultimate luxury in fragrance for decades ("costliest perfume in the world" etc)
    Opium - legendary spicy oriental evocative of the 80s
    L'Eau d'Issey - launched the aquatic trend
    Angel - launched the gourmand trend (bad Mugler, bad!)