Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dedicated thread to the House of Memo Paris

Greetings to everyone!

Decided to start a thread dedicated to Memo Paris.
    1600414883-2620843148-g_n.jpg
    I cant say that everything this house produces is good, matter of fact i only like maybe 2 or 3 perfumes out of the whole range, but what i surely cant deny is the brilliant presentation. They definitely found perfect combo of elegance and simplicity and each of their releases triggers curiosity in me.

Please utilize this thread as a hub to share opinions, news and reviews!

memo_1200x1200.jpg

memmemo-uu74hjpg.jpg

Memo African Leather.jpg

Default Re: Dedicated thread to the House of Memo Paris

To start with, very curious about their new release called Argentina. Who tried it, positive or negative reviews?

Argentina_banner_site_web_800x800px_x800.jpg

Thanks

All Is Beautiful

I enjoy African Leather and Winter Palace the most.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Vintage african leather is the best, especially 1 spray to the chest during summer heat. I find it opens up exceptionally.

Memo has never been a popular line on Basenotes. They get dissed frequently because people don't think their quality justifies the high cost, and because many people report that they just flat out don't like most of their fragrances.

I'm one of the few that has always liked their fragrances. I have purchased 8 in total, including Irish Leather, Italian Leather, African Leather, Shams Oud, Tamarindo, Moroccan Leather, Ocean Leather, and Sintra. I did wind up selling Irish Leather, but only because I found it too much like Italian Leather to justify keeping both of them. I enjoy all of them very much.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Basenotes Plus

When Memo first hit the market, I got all excited because of all the leathers in their line, and I ordered a huge discovery set from France, something like 18 samples. And there wasn't a single one that I wound up liking enough to buy.

There's something in the house "base" that I find terribly irritating, a sort of weird electrical "buzz" that runs through several of their scents and that I've never been able to isolate to one ingredient or accord.

Plus, as mentioned above, they're overpriced for what they are.

How vintage can a fragrance that's only been out since 2015 be? lol

I've only tried Sintra and I didn't like it at all. Seems to check all the current "niche" trend boxes, sweet, amber, mega strength and projection. I didn't like it at all, way too sweet and cloying.

Also, I hate to be the political correctness police because I do find "call out" culture often goes too far and is rarely helpful.... but in this case the whole brand presentation and names like "African Leather" "Oriental Leather" are a bit cringey and out of step with current times. And the gold and black presentation reminds me of a parody of some 70s perfume (and 70s attitudes about cultural appropriation) in the infamous Anchorman scene. I would give it a pass if it was an actual vintage brand, but for a brand founded in 2007 by an Irish man that also calls itself "Memo Paris" makes me roll my eyes more than a little.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it racist, but this dated invocation of the "exotic" orient or Africa (full of exotic lions and tigers, smells and spices oh my!) seems pretty out of touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mak-7 View Post
    Vintage african leather is the best, especially 1 spray to the chest during summer heat. I find it opens up exceptionally.

Dependent

Underrated house IMO. I don't get the hate. I've tried African Leather, Winter Palace, and Italian Leather. They were all big hits.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I own their newest releases - Argentina, Jamal's Desert, Jamal's Palace and Odeon along with all of their other men's and unisex releases since when they started. I very much enjoy the house.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    How vintage can a fragrance that's only been out since 2015 be? lol

I've only tried Sintra and I didn't like it at all. Seems to check all the current "niche" trend boxes, sweet, amber, mega strength and projection. I didn't like it at all, way too sweet and cloying.

Also, I hate to be the political correctness police because I do find "call out" culture often goes too far and is rarely helpful.... but in this case the whole brand presentation and names like "African Leather" "Oriental Leather" are a bit cringey and out of step with current times. And the gold and black presentation reminds me of a parody of some 70s perfume (and 70s attitudes about cultural appropriation) in the infamous Anchorman scene. I would give it a pass if it was an actual vintage brand, but for a brand founded in 2007 by an Irish man that also calls itself "Memo Paris" makes me roll my eyes more than a little.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it racist, but this dated invocation of the "exotic" orient or Africa (full of exotic lions and tigers, smells and spices oh my!) seems pretty out of touch.
    Haha, maybe you are right regarding vintage. Till 2017 african leather that i tried in Dubai was so much stronger, longer lasting (12 hrs believe it or not), and notes themselves were very distinct and of high quality. If i could ever get my hands on older bottle i would be very happy.

Regarding your 2nd half about names, racism and all that - i think currently people seem to be oversensitive and life is so good, they have too much free time to overthink stuff. I never for a second saw any ill intent in the name or what colors they used, and as far as i know, there is no special PDO regarding color combinations. Lets maybe leave this topic for a forum that is designated to problems of racism.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I own their newest releases - Argentina, Jamal's Desert, Jamal's Palace and Odeon along with all of their other men's and unisex releases since when they started. I very much enjoy the house.
    Hednick, can you give us more of a description to what you smell and if there are any comparisons to any existing products from other brands?

Please describe Argentina in details. Thanks

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Please describe Argentina in details. Thanks
    I have had it only for about two weeks and my first impression is that it's somewhat of a rose-oud combo, more dominant on the oud tangent, with an added sweetness and muskiness which I'm guessing is from the ambrette. Aromatic to a degree. Performance on my skin is excellent.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

African Leather and Italian Leather were two that stood out to me from the collection.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Heaven's made of oakmoss

I think it's an interresting house and I have my eye on a handful of them, Russian Leather in particular.
    Furthermore I thoroughly enjoy their presentations and, especially, their posters/layouts. Beautiful artwork and colours, that sometimes evoke, in style, the 40s or 50s but still with strokes of the present. I very much look forward to get my nose on them.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    African Leather and Italian Leather were two that stood out to me from the collection.
    I LOVE African Leather, but Italian Leather was a scrubber for me. That tomato leaf note (I believe) just ruined it. So sharp and synthetic smelling.

I am excited to try some of Memo's other offerings, like Winter Palace.
    Current Favorites:
    African Leather, Ombre Nomade, Costume National Homme, Fahrenheit (EDT and Le Parfum), Ombre Leather, TF Extreme, Ormonde Man, Rogue Derviche, CdG Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    When Memo first hit the market, I got all excited because of all the leathers in their line, and I ordered a huge discovery set from France, something like 18 samples. And there wasn't a single one that I wound up liking enough to buy.

There's something in the house "base" that I find terribly irritating, a sort of weird electrical "buzz" that runs through several of their scents and that I've never been able to isolate to one ingredient or accord.

Plus, as mentioned above, they're overpriced for what they are.
    +1 -- I have never taken to this House. I like Jannat though.

'brilliant presentations' don't really interest me

Never got into them but of the few I tried I did enjoy Irish Leather which I found quite moreish.

Basenotes Plus

I have enjoyed what I’ve tried from the house. Never got around to buying a full bottle. I was interested in getting possibly the most simplistic of them, with Eau de Memo, as I find it to be an infinitely wearable leather for my hot humid climate, but the pricing has deterred me.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    I have enjoyed what I’ve tried from the house. Never got around to buying a full bottle. I was interested in getting possibly the most simplistic of them, with Eau de Memo, as I find it to be an infinitely wearable leather for my hot humid climate, but the pricing has deterred me.
    They are often appearing on discounter sites and usually around 40% discount. Dont recall if i tried eau de memo though.

Basenotes Institution

Tried a few of them. African Leather was the most enjoyed. So far, all of them were pretty good.

I quite like the house of Memo.

I also have a specific question: is Moon Leather just the EdP of Moon Fever? It cost more than twice as much which confuses me.

Any reason I would chose ML over MF? I like MF quite a bit and it is quite affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I've only tried two - African Leather which was okayish, and Tiger's Nest which was nice but way too similar to Ambre Sultan.

Basenotes Plus

They are often appearing on discounter sites and usually around 40% discount. Dont recall if i tried eau de memo though.
    Thanks for the info! For whatever reason, Eau de Memo seems to hold it’s value. I’ll keep on the lookout.

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Thanks for the info! For whatever reason, Eau de Memo seems to hold it’s value. I’ll keep on the lookout.
    Fragrancebuy from Canada generally have good prices on Memo.

Shams Oud is one of my favorites from the house along with African leather.

Basenotes Plus

One of my favorites is Shams Narcissus. Great twist on Shams Oud.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    Fragrancebuy from Canada generally have good prices on Memo.

Shams Oud is one of my favorites from the house along with African leather.
    Thanks!

I have a few of them: Shams Oud, Tiger’s Nest, Manoa, Quartier Latin, Grenada, Irish Leather. Not a big favourite house but a few nice ones. I do love the artwork.

My first encounter with MEMO was at Marina Mall in Abu Dhabi.
    I too get the "electric buzz" that Cook.bot talked about; feels like my nose hairs were singed lol.

I really enjoy African Leather but Irish Leather got my attention the most, although I can never wear it alone.

Last year, I found True Leather by ZARA which is bang on Irish Leather for a fraction of the cost. I use it to layer as a masculine "notice me" boost.
    Waiting for Hednic's 8th star

Default Dedicated thread to the House of Memo Paris

Interesting. Are you from the US?

I have yet to find a single discounter (Europe based) that has Memo on significant discount.

Although Memo (as most Europe based fragrances houses) are significantly cheaper retail than in the US to begin with, so maybe that‘s why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in Canada and price here is around 160 € or 250 cad, versus 400cad original price