Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: The Downside (?) of Try Before You Buy

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    A blind buy or even an impulse purchase based on an initial sniff in store certainly gives more of a rush.
    A real HIGH, dare I say...
    FREE AS THE WIND!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    A real HIGH, dare I say...
    Probably cheaper to develop a pot smoking habit!

Basenotes Plus

Oh! Oh! I almost forgot:

One time, I was trying some of the Annick Goutals they had out on the counter at Hudson's Bay Company, and a sales associate came up to me and said, "oh yeah! I would buy those for my old granny!" (Seriously...and I was thirty-something at the time..so yeah..she was dissing me!)

Okay, I'm done now! XD

PS: My mom actually bought me a bottle of Yardley's English Lavender EDT for Christmas, and TBH, I wear it almost every day now and it's currently one of my favorite things! I kind of feel like..why did I not just buy this way sooner? XD I guess I just never think of it. It's honestly one of the best lavender fragrances though! I really love both that and Yardley's Lily of the Valley.

I decided to take a walk on the wild side and ordered my first ever total blind buy: Under My Skin by Francesca Bianchi

I was considering ordering the sample set first, but recently I went through 2 samples sets (ELDO and Nishane) where I barely liked anything at all and I hate now having all these samples I never want to wear again. Bianchi also sends samples and free shipping with full bottle order so I went for it! (and it's my bday next week!)

I'm with LadyDragonFire in that I don't really like decants. The cost can add up and I guess I'm a bit anal about my collection I don't want the clutter of all these small amounts of fragrance in decant bottles. I always try to score an official samples with the purchase of something else, and occasionally buy a travel size first. But I can see how decants can be essential for someone living out in the middle of nowhere.

I think I'm done buying sample packs, I used to have a rule that I won't pay to sample anything and I think I'll go back to that. The other advantage is by reducing what I sample, I'm also reducing the potential list of new things to I'll want to buy and distract from what I've already got.

Another question for people, which house's perfumes do you think need the most time to appreciate? For me it's Chanel 100% because so many of them have such huge development. Bel Respiro and Rue Cambon for example I loved at first sniff but not so much on the dry down. On the other hand, only after wearing Bois des Iles and No. 18 a good 5-6 times did I start to love them.

MFK is similar for the opposite reason, many of them have appealing starts but then I'm annoyed by their persistent and pedestrian smelling base and want to wash them off before the day is done.

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    I decided to take a walk on the wild side and ordered my first ever total blind buy: Under My Skin by Francesca Bianchi

I was considering ordering the sample set first, but recently I went through 2 samples sets (ELDO and Nishane) where I barely liked anything at all and I hate now having all these samples I never want to wear again. Bianchi also sends samples and free shipping with full bottle order so I went for it! (and it's my bday next week!)

I'm with LadyDragonFire in that I don't really like decants. The cost can add up and I guess I'm a bit anal about my collection I don't want the clutter of all these small amounts of fragrance in decant bottles. I always try to score an official samples with the purchase of something else, and occasionally buy a travel size first. But I can see how decants can be essential for someone living out in the middle of nowhere.

I think I'm done buying sample packs, I used to have a rule that I won't pay to sample anything and I think I'll go back to that. The other advantage is by reducing what I sample, I'm also reducing the potential list of new things to I'll want to buy and distract from what I've already got.

Another question for people, which house's perfumes do you think need the most time to appreciate? For me it's Chanel 100% because so many of them have such huge development. Bel Respiro and Rue Cambon for example I loved at first sniff but not so much on the dry down. On the other hand, only after wearing Bois des Iles and No. 18 a good 5-6 times did I start to love them.

MFK is similar for the opposite reason, many of them have appealing starts but then I'm annoyed by their persistent and pedestrian smelling base and want to wash them off before the day is done.
    31 Rue Cambon does have a disappointing dry down doesn't it? That is the not often considered redemption of fragrances that don't last a long time -- you get a wonderful opening, and then the heart, and it's gone. No sickly ambery-vanilla, no woody amber, no patchouli or vetiver.

Yes, blind buying can be fun but unless the bottle is very cheap, I sample first if possible. Even with the cheaper ones, I never buy JUST because of the low price as I don't want anything in my wardrobe that I never wear.
    My Most Worn by Decade
    90's: YSL Jazz
    00's: Clinique Happy for Men
    10's: Armani Code Sport
    20's: Aramis Havana, L'eau Bleue d'Issey, Fahrenheit

Basenotes Plus

Today on Fragrantica I just saw a line of perfumes that are all named after famous song titles!

I almost feel like blind buying some of those!

There is seldom a downside to "try before you buy". I always "test drive" fragrances, women and vehicles before I invest time or money. It's the prudent thing to do.

Basenotes Plus

Cool Re: The Downside (?) of Try Before You Buy

Quote Originally Posted by JJ The Terrible View Post
    There is seldom a downside to "try before you buy". I always "test drive" fragrances, women and vehicles before I invest time or money. It's the prudent thing to do.
    Based on the "price tags" of some of the things that tend to get recommended around here too (no offense) I agree with the car comparison 100%! XD

So far, all the blind buys I've gotten are on the lower end of the price range too! Not super expensive niche perfumes, unless you count all the decants and sample sets I've bought, which honestly, add up and get to be expensive too!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ The Terrible View Post
    I always "test drive" women....
    you ride them a lot first

Dependent

I used to do a lot of blind-buying in the past, and it was pretty exciting !

But to be honest I rarely took any big risks - I mostly put together a collection of Lutens and L'Artisan things that I'd heard recommended. I'd search out partial bottles of the original formulations on e-bay, and obtain them at a discount that way, and never was ever disappointed.

Too risky for that today I'm afraid, so I've become a try-before-I-buy person now.

But it sure was fun collecting all those classics, and smelling them for the first time when they arrived.
    Currently wearing: Potion by Dsquared2