Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1

    Default Recommendations based on what I love so far?

    I've liked a lot of stuff I've tried and loved about a quarter of that. Are there any recommendations some of you might make for someone whom hasn't quite figured out what it is about what he really likes yet, based on what he's loved and hated so far? Or maybe you can spot a pattern in my taste that I've failed to be able to??? Because that could help tremendously!

    A good sample of what I've loved so far, in no particular order..
    1. Lalique Encre Noire EDT
    2. Chanel Platinum Egoiste EDT
    3. Lalique Encre Noire A l'Extreme EDP
    4. Ralph Lauren Polo "Green" EDT
    5. Prada Amber Intense EDP
    6. Dior Home EDT
    7. Azarro Visit EDT
    8. Lalique Encre Noire Sport EDT
    9. Dior Fahrenheit EDT
    10. Yves de Sistelle Thallium EDT
    11. Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme Intense EDT
    12. Carolina Herrera Herrera Aqua EDT
    13. Ferrari Silver Essence EDP
    14. Salvatore*Ferragamo Pour Homme EDT
    15. Clubman Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum
    16. Chanel Bleu de Chanel EDP
    17. Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme EDT
    18. Ungaro Pour l'Homme III
    19. Iceberg The Iceberg EDT

    A few I can recall absolutely loathing that I've tried...
    1. Joop!
    2. LeMale
    3. Kuoros
    4. Jacques Bogart one man show

    And if given time I could come up with about 100 of the standard store counter stuff you find at any department store from over the years that I've enjoyed. Such as almost anything Givenchy or Guerlain, heck even Tommy, Nautica, Polo and Hugo. But I'm hoping for some not so common stuff. I'm all about longevity, silage matters very little to me. I don't want presence, I wear fragrances for me, not others.

    Sorry for being long winded. Lastly, I'm not interested in spending hundreds, so most the niche stuff you can just bypass. I think a pattern I have noticed is potency. A lot of EDP and intense/extreme stuff in my favorites. Anyway thanks in advance for your time!

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    334,074

    Default Re: Recommendations based on what I love so far?

    Perhaps check out some of the Montale or Mancera offerings.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  3. #3
    Basenotes Junkie Mark.B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    502

    Default Re: Recommendations based on what I love so far?

    i see you list chanel bleu de chanel, and platinum egoiste as ones you loved.

    both have a similar vibe - maybe try Acqua di Gio Profumo as an alternative?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Recommendations based on what I love so far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Factory View Post
    I've liked a lot of stuff I've tried and loved about a quarter of that. Are there any recommendations some of you might make for someone whom hasn't quite figured out what it is about what he really likes yet, based on what he's loved and hated so far? Or maybe you can spot a pattern in my taste that I've failed to be able to??? Because that could help tremendously!

    A good sample of what I've loved so far, in no particular order..
    1. Lalique Encre Noire EDT
    2. Chanel Platinum Egoiste EDT
    3. Lalique Encre Noire A l'Extreme EDP
    4. Ralph Lauren Polo "Green" EDT
    5. Prada Amber Intense EDP
    6. Dior Home EDT
    7. Azarro Visit EDT
    8. Lalique Encre Noire Sport EDT
    9. Dior Fahrenheit EDT
    10. Yves de Sistelle Thallium EDT
    11. Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme Intense EDT
    12. Carolina Herrera Herrera Aqua EDT
    13. Ferrari Silver Essence EDP
    14. Salvatore*Ferragamo Pour Homme EDT
    15. Clubman Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum
    16. Chanel Bleu de Chanel EDP
    17. Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme EDT
    18. Ungaro Pour l'Homme III
    19. Iceberg The Iceberg EDT

    A few I can recall absolutely loathing that I've tried...
    1. Joop!
    2. LeMale
    3. Kuoros
    4. Jacques Bogart one man show

    And if given time I could come up with about 100 of the standard store counter stuff you find at any department store from over the years that I've enjoyed. Such as almost anything Givenchy or Guerlain, heck even Tommy, Nautica, Polo and Hugo. But I'm hoping for some not so common stuff. I'm all about longevity, silage matters very little to me. I don't want presence, I wear fragrances for me, not others.

    Sorry for being long winded. Lastly, I'm not interested in spending hundreds, so most the niche stuff you can just bypass. I think a pattern I have noticed is potency. A lot of EDP and intense/extreme stuff in my favorites. Anyway thanks in advance for your time!
    Sean John 3AM, cheap but good

    Iceberg Man

    Chanel Allure Homme Eau Extreme

  5. #5
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    3,181

    Default Re: Recommendations based on what I love so far?

    Platinum Egoiste, Dior Homme, and Fahrenheit are three that I wear. Polo and Bel Ami could be good options.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Recommendations based on what I love so far?

    That in fact is a sample I have ordered and very much look forward to. I've always loved the Acqua Di Gio EDT, but recently tried it again after a long departure from my standard scents and found utterly lacking in longevity any more. So either my nose has grown weak or their concoction has been diluted, either way I opted to try the Parfumo version in hopes I might rekindle that long lost love for something similar. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Recommendations based on what I love so far?

    Polo as in the OG green bottle? Because that's one of the top in my list. And I'll have a look into Bel Ami, thanks much!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Recommendations based on what I love so far?

    Wait a minute upon inspection I do recall trying Bel Ami many years ago when first getting into fragrances and not liking it very much. I might have another go at it if I can find a sample size somewhere.

  9. #9
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    3,181

    Default Re: Recommendations based on what I love so far?

    Yes, Polo green. From Hermes, the two classics I like are Bel Ami and Equipage. I like Bel Ami because it's stronger. For something lighter that I imagine wearing to be discreet, Equipage seems like one of the best options.

    For someone who likes Fahrenheit, though, I think Bel Ami would be a good match.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Recommendations based on what I love so far?

    Very cool suggestions. Never even heard of these. Just ordered a sample set of the Montale, don't think I'd much like the Mancera stuff though, reading through the scent profiles of them. Not at all a vanilla, Iris or rose fan (floral scents in general really turn me off) and they use a lot of those 3. A bit too feminine for my taste, or at least what I've identified as feminine anyway. Thanks so much for the recommendation!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Recommendations based on what I love so far?

    I'm going to have to spend some time seeking out sample sizes of these somewhere. Thanks much!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Recommendations based on what I love so far?

    Then it sounds like a round two sampling is in order! Thanks again!

  13. #13
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    3,181

    Default Re: Recommendations based on what I love so far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Factory View Post
    Thanks again!
    I'm using "reply with quote" to show the text I'm responding to, and I like removing non-essential parts to have more focus.

    It's great to have a friendly new poster with such a well-chosen username! Thank you!

    You can reply to several posts at once using the "multi-quote" button ("+) and then hitting "reply with quote" on the last one.

  14. #14
    Basenotes Institution
    sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    46,391

    Default Re: Recommendations based on what I love so far?

    Encre Noire Sport is a good one.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Recommendations based on what I love so far?

    Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Encre Noire Sport is a good one.
    I think that one is on my list at top, but appreciate the recommendation!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I'm using "reply with quote" to show the text I'm responding to, and I like removing non-essential parts to have more focus.

    It's great to have a friendly new poster with such a well-chosen username! Thank you!

    You can reply to several posts at once using the "multi-quote" button ("+) and then hitting "reply with quote" on the last one.
    Ahhh, very useful, I was trying to figure that one out. Thanks!

  16. #16

    Default Re: Recommendations based on what I love so far?

    Terre D’Hermes (plus maybe Terre D’Hermes Eau Intense Vetiver)
    TF Beau de Jour

  17. #17

    Default Re: Recommendations based on what I love so far?

    Great recommendations already, also adding to a possible (re) testing list in no particular order:

    Lalique Homme EDP
    Boucheron pour Homme EDP
    Azzaro pour Home l'Eau and/or Azzaro Bright Visit
    Knize Forest
    Ungaro III Parfum Aromatique, Gold &Bold Edition and/or Oud
    Creed Royal Mayfair and/or Aventus
    Eau des Baux

  18. #18
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    493

    Default Re: Recommendations based on what I love so far?

    Id recomend sampling acqua di parma

    Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

  19. #19

    Default Re: Recommendations based on what I love so far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Factory View Post
    That in fact is a sample I have ordered and very much look forward to. I've always loved the Acqua Di Gio EDT, but recently tried it again after a long departure from my standard scents and found utterly lacking in longevity any more. So either my nose has grown weak or their concoction has been diluted, either way I opted to try the Parfumo version in hopes I might rekindle that long lost love for something similar. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.
    Get a sample of Every Storm a Serenade from Imaginary Authors. Sort of like ADG but way better performance. Just go easy on the trigger!

    And since you like Encre Noir, get a sample of Wonderwood from Comme de Garcon. It's similar but there is an added pepper note that I think makes it a better overall fragrance (if you like pepper).

    If you really want to go indie, there's always Norne from Slumberhouse. As far as woody fragrances go, my personal favorite so far.
    "Do not believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

  20. #20

    Default Re: Recommendations based on what I love so far?

    One that I'd suggest trying would be Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche. A nice creamy lemon scent. Versatile and great for the warmer months.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

  21. #21

    Default Re: Recommendations based on what I love so far?

    Seems that you like fragrances that are

    Woody
    Have a strong vetiver note
    Green
    Semi-sweet /dry

    And you dislike

    Very sweet
    Have a strong powdery aspect
    You might perceive as feminine / not masculine enough




Similar Threads

  1. Tea-based scents: Your recommendations
    By epicurean in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 6th January 2015, 04:21 PM
  2. Your Recommendations For Me, Based on What I Already Like
    By bilkay in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10th July 2011, 03:39 AM
  3. Need recommendations based on what I like
    By dpnote in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2nd May 2010, 04:41 AM
  4. Recommendations based on what I like..
    By spinn74 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12th July 2005, 10:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000