Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default What the @#$% happened to Fahrenheit?

Ok, so I had Dior Fahrenheit back in the day. Loved it, went through a big bottle then moved on. Haven't really smelled it in 20+ years. I was curious and got a decant from MaxAroma. This smells nothing like the original. WTF? Only for the slightest moment, waaaaaaaay back there amongst the BS something triggers the scent memory. I mean I know fragrances go through re-formulation but damn this isn't a shadow of what it used to be, it's a different fragrance all together. So sad as this current version is complete garbage; there's nothing special about it.

The only saving grace is a family member bought a bottle around the same time I did and he has about 1/3rd of his left. He doesn't wear it anymore and is sending it my way.

Praise the Lawd!
    "Do not believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Default Re: What the @#$% happened to Fahrenheit?

Hmm, maybe a bad sample does happen the current stuff from a bottle smells excellent and no reviews say it’s a shell of its former self.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Hmm, maybe a bad sample does happen the current stuff from a bottle smells excellent and no reviews say it’s a shell of its former self.
    That crossed my mind. I kept thinking there's no way this is what it smells like now. At first spray, it smelled nothing like it. So I let it air out for a minute or two. Then, I did catch a glimmer. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    Ok, so I had Dior Fahrenheit back in the day. Loved it, went through a big bottle then moved on. Haven't really smelled it in 20+ years. I was curious and got a decant from MaxAroma. This smells nothing like the original. WTF? Only for the slightest moment, waaaaaaaay back there amongst the BS something triggers the scent memory. I mean I know fragrances go through re-formulation but damn this isn't a shadow of what it used to be, it's a different fragrance all together. So sad as this current version is complete garbage; there's nothing special about it.

The only saving grace is a family member bought a bottle around the same time I did and he has about 1/3rd of his left. He doesn't wear it anymore and is sending it my way.

Praise the Lawd!
    Sometimes memories play tricks... Personally I find it identical to what I used to have in the 90's.
    Currently wearing: Bois Noir by Robert Piguet

Vintage bottles are still pretty easy to find. Check out the Facebook groups.

Banned

I have the current version and vintage offerings. They're very much not the same up close, but have a similar sillage scent. I actually find the current version much darker

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Own the original and have tried many that came out in later years and although not exactly the same, thought they were all fine.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Wow welcome to 2021.
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

EDIT: Comment deleted. I purchased from Max Forti, not MaxAroma.

I apologize for mixing them up.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 18th January 2021 at 03:52 AM.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Royal Oud
    Endymion
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Aqua Celestia
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Amouage Silver Man
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Universalis
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer

Didn't care for Fahrenheit at all until I smelled the original formulation. It was only then did developed an appreciation for it. To this today I still don't care for the modern formulation.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

All Is Beautiful

2018 is pretty good. Earlier vintages are better but all are quite good.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Dependent

Not much difference really.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I bought a decant from MaxAroma a while back. I'm not going to say what I bought (it was niche), but the juice I received wasn't legit. I didn't realize this until too late, which was my own fault for not having checked it better when I got it, so I never bothered getting in touch to do anything about it. I just considered it a lesson learned the hard way, but I certainly won't buy from his shop again.

I'm not saying he intentionally sold me fake juice. For all I know, he unknowingly received fake juice which he split & sold. Regardless, I don't find his shop trustworthy and I absolutely do not recommend it.
    Interesting. I have about 20 decants from them plus around 10 FBs. I never had any issues. This was the first one that gave me pause.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Wow welcome to 2021.
    Yeah, there is this other thing called life that has been getting in the way the last 25 years. Although I realize how important, and relevant I might add, the history of Dior Fahrenheit is, researching said history hasn't been a priority.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Sometimes memories play tricks... Personally I find it identical to what I used to have in the 90's.
    Same thoughts here. I have a bottle from about 20 years ago and it's not that different. More floral and not as powerful as the current stuff.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Are you talking about a 2020 bottle of Fahrenheit?
    I personally haven't tried them yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it's really watered down after knowing what Dior did with the Dior Homme line in 2020.

Please take a look at my thread about the new 2019 Fahrenheit reformulation: https://www.basenotes.net/threads/46...8-A?highlight=

Those 2019 bottles are really nice and I bought a lot of backup bottles of them, because they smell so good and I get over 10 hours longevity with them.
    If the 2020 ones are really that bad now, I probably did everything right.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    Are you talking about a 2020 bottle of Fahrenheit?
    I personally haven't tried them yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it's really watered down after knowing what Dior did with the Dior Homme line in 2020.

Please take a look at my thread about the new 2019 Fahrenheit reformulation: https://www.basenotes.net/threads/46...8-A?highlight=

Those 2019 bottles are really nice and I bought a lot of backup bottles of them, because they smell so good and I get over 10 hours longevity with them.
    If the 2020 ones are really that bad now, I probably did everything right.
    I'll definitely check out the thread. Sounds like I need to get my hands on a 2019 bottle. Thanks!

At least you can be happy that it took you so long to discover this travesty. The first formulation took place in the mid to late 90s and it was never the same. Before that, Fahrenheit was the closest thing that I ever had to a signature.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I'm not saying he intentionally sold me fake juice. For all I know, he unknowingly received fake juice which he split & sold. Regardless, I don't find his shop trustworthy and I absolutely do not recommend it.
    Do you have evidence of such statement, or is it only based on your "unbiased/absolute nose"?

I bought 3 decants and a couple of bottle at Maxaroma, and aside of the poor building quality of the travel spray, I can tell that juices were legit, and I was satisfied.
    Currently wearing: Bois Noir by Robert Piguet

I've added this topic to the thread I've linked above so people can find it in future.
    I don't want anyone to buy 2020 bottles just because of my recommendation for the 2019 ones if the 2020 ones are really crappy.
    Added my thoughts on this in my Fahrenheit thread.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Do you have evidence of such statement, or is it only based on your "unbiased/absolute nose"?

I bought 3 decants and a couple of bottle at Maxaroma, and aside of the poor building quality of the travel spray, I can tell that juices were legit, and I was satisfied.
    BTW, I think they have improved the travel sprayers over the last year. They now have a rubber grommet and have a more consistent spray. At least this has been my experience. I personally love the site and have been very pleased.

Having tested this in various recent versions of the regular EDT, did not notice so far any significant changes of either the scent or its performance, however with two major disclaimers as well:
    a) not sure to have tried this in the most recent formulation and b) the vintage (s) tested so far may have not been the best, oldest and/or more complex renditions of this
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

BTW, I think they have improved the travel sprayers over the last year. They now have a rubber grommet and have a more consistent spray. At least this has been my experience. I personally love the site and have been very pleased.
    Maxaroma is one of my main sources for fragrances, free shipping and no sales tax the price you see on the page is what you pay unless you upgrade shipping. I have never had any issues with authenticity of fragrances and everything arrives in excellent condition within quicker than most shipping times. I’ve used them for a few years now and the experience is always the same, mistakes happen not the end of the world they are always quick to make it right and willing to answer all questions asked via chat nice perk!

Basenotes Plus

I'll definitely check out the thread. Sounds like I need to get my hands on a 2019 bottle. Thanks!
    If you have a CVS, Drug Mart or something similar, go to them and ask to see the Dior Fahrenheit's .
    Even Wal Mart should still have some of those 2019 batches .
    I'm sure you know how to look for batches . If you're like me, bring pocket magnifier , you'll find the years if you're looking for .
    I did , and found 2 8L05's and a 2019 .Got the 2018's from CVS, and the 2019 from Wal Mart.
    Paid $49.99 for the 2019 and CVS was having a sale , so about $51 each . All three are 1.7's
    I found these last year, so they are still around.
    Certainly check out FragFrog's thread about the 2018/2019 batches.
    Also, I have gotten a number of decants from MaxAroma and never had any issues, even with decants.
    Maybe they sent you something else. We are all human, so we do make mistakes .
    Have you contacted MaxAroma about this issue ?
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Blog Entries

Yeah, there is this other thing called life that has been getting in the way the last 25 years. Although I realize how important, and relevant I might add, the history of Dior Fahrenheit is, researching said history hasn't been a priority.
    It's not just Fahrenheit. What I meant was that, all fragrances that are at least 20 years old have been reformulated, some with minor changes, others with major facelifts, some completely reformulated. Fahrenheit is just much weaker than it once was. Actually, the current version of it is much better than the previous 10+ years. It has more of the gasoline/petrol/leather again, it's just a lot less powerful that the og 80's/90's formulations.
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Hell, there are some CVS stores by me that carry the older bottle with the bubbled cap and blue top box.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Hell, there are some CVS stores by me that carry the older bottle with the bubbled cap and blue top box.
    Wow, very nice .
    I'd love to have one of those .
    Are you going to get one ?
    I picked up a 2013 Dior Eau last year from Drug Mart.
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Basenotes Institution

The older versions seemed a little stronger, but the recent versions are still good.

Basenotes Plus

Time to raid the local WalMart and CVS. Great tip. Thanks!

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

EDIT: Comment deleted. I purchased from Max Forti, not MaxAroma.

I apologize for mixing them up.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Royal Oud
    Endymion
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Aqua Celestia