Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Noob thoughts on GIT

It's a much cleaner and smoother version of Coty Aspen and in that regard, it being darn near identical like a copy, it garners very little respect from me. However I do appreciate how much higher grade it clearly is.

Anyway, maybe it's because I'm not applying as much from this stupid little dabber in my sample vial as I would from an atomizer in a full size, but I get almost zero performance out of GIT. It just doesn't have any silage and the longevity is maybe 3-4 hours until it fades into basically nothingness. I think it must be the lack of application, it's so impossible to get anything out of this tiny bottle without feeling like I'll just dump half the thing all over me. I'm going to try to find a way to get more next time, but so far I'm vastly underwhelmed.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Noob thoughts on GIT

Quote Originally Posted by Old Factory View Post
    I think it must be the lack of application
    That's my guess.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Being sprayed from a bottle makes all the difference, you can get splits of this for reasonable prices. It’s a quite nice fragrance and is made with quality ingredients not found in the similar fragrances which is key why it’s miles better than what it smells like. It’s got a following for a reason and whether you agree is a matter of opinion and there is nothing wrong with that, hopefully your able to get the full experience of this one soon.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Basenotes Plus

Well,

One thing you can do is rub a little glycerine vegetable oil on the skin where you want to spray then spray. Moisturized skin helps a scent last much longer. Dry skin is notorious for hurting performance. Then, if you have sprayed 2 good sprays on a single spot, that should be enough to last many hours. You can spray on the your upper chest first then the side of your neck to ensure you will be smelled as a last resort. If you still can't smell it, then it's anosmia. Your brain learns to "tune out" a smell that it realizes is not dangerous to you in favor of being alert to harmful smells. Your sense of smell as a human is first and foremost used as a means of protecting you from bad food or detecting food when you're hungry. If you wear a scent very often, this will happen to most people. This is one of the reasons I switch fragrances around everyday to different scents.

Basenotes Junkie

I would call it beast mode.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

Is GIT also watered down these days?

Besides that, who knows what's in the sample vial (if it isn't an original sample from Creed) - there are many clones out there, just like with Aventus.

Dependent

Beast mode!

Basenotes Institution

Great fragrance.

You definitely need to spray it on to get a better application of it. Consider getting a small decant of it, it will make a difference.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

maybe it's because I'm not applying as much from this stupid little dabber in my sample vial as I would from an atomizer in a full size, but I get almost zero performance out of GIT.
    It's the dabber.

I'm a huge believer in sampling before buying, but it's important to understand that how the juice is applied impacts the way it wears. Dab samples are good for judging whether or not I like how a scent smells, but they don't always give me a good idea of how a scent will perform unless there's something really obvious, like a harsh note or something thick that lasts for ages.

I get excellent performance from Green Irish Tweed. The whole scent is great, but I have to heap extra praise on the base. It's smooth, long lasting, and has just enough sweetness to leave behind a really welcoming smell on skin long after the scent has stopped projecting. I'd say I get around 8 hours from GIT in the air, but the base keeps going much longer up close on skin.

I've never tried Aspen, so I can't compare the two, and I can't say whether GITs high price is worth it for anybody but myself... but to me, it is, because smoothness is something I prioritize and am willing to pay for. That's something I really enjoy, and GIT does it so well.

EDITED to add: I wear 3 prays.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 18th January 2021 at 06:55 AM.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Royal Oud
    Endymion
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Aqua Celestia
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Amouage Silver Man
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Universalis
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    It's the dabber.

I'm a huge believer in sampling before buying, but it's important to understand the difference between how the juice is applied impacts the way it wears. Dab samples are good for judging whether or not I like how a scent smells, but they don't always give me a good idea of how a scent will perform unless there's something really obvious, like a harsh note or something thick that lasts for ages.

I get excellent performance from Green Irish Tweed. The whole scent is great, but I have to heap extra praise on the base. It's smooth, long lasting, and has just enough sweetness to leave behind a really welcoming smell on skin long after the scent has stopped projecting. I'd say I get around 8 hours from GIT in the air, but the base keeps going much longer up close on skin.

I've never tried Aspen, so I can't compare the two, and I can't say whether GITs high price is worth it for anybody but myself... but to me, it is, because smoothness is something I prioritize and am willing to pay for. That's something I really enjoy, and GIT does it so well.
    That's totally fair. I think I'll have to try a spray decant of it next time to get an accurate rendering. Thanks for the thoughts.

Can at least partly relate to this, although the personal reply will be a bite more differentiated:

while the notes did not add much to further male/unisex designer and/or niche scents, did so far have the luck to get (even by mere coincidence alone) anywhere between decent to good projection and longevity if testing and wearing this one.

Thus significantly more than, often at least the double of 3-4 hours regarding both of these requirements.
    Currently wearing: Brut by Fabergé

It's a much cleaner and smoother version of Coty Aspen and in that regard, it being darn near identical like a copy, it garners very little respect from me. However I do appreciate how much higher grade it clearly is..
    GIT is not a copy of Coty Aspen. GIT was launched well before Aspen, and if anything, Aspen is a copy of Davidoff Cool Water. To me, neither Cool Water nor Aspen that closely resemble GIT.

With regards to your concerns about longevity and strength, I can only guess that, as you mentioned, you’re not getting enough from the tiny dabs you are applying. One or two sprays from the full size bottle for me have monster performance, lasting throughout the day, though the notes change throughout the day. The front is sporty and green, and then the base notes come up for me after two or three hours, and to my nose there’s nothing quite like it except for maybe Bond No 9 Chez Bond which seems to share the same base.
    Currently wearing: Missoni Wave by Missoni

Just tried it again, used almost a third of the vial, nothing. No silage at all, very disappointed. You can say what you want, but I don't give second chances with something that the scent isn't impressive anyway. Peace GIT... Worthless!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty McFly View Post
    GIT is not a copy of Coty Aspen. GIT was launched well before Aspen, and if anything, Aspen is a copy of Davidoff Cool Water. To me, neither Cool Water nor Aspen that closely resemble GIT.

With regards to your concerns about longevity and strength, I can only guess that, as you mentioned, you’re not getting enough from the tiny dabs you are applying. One or two sprays from the full size bottle for me have monster performance, lasting throughout the day, though the notes change throughout the day. The front is sporty and green, and then the base notes come up for me after two or three hours, and to my nose there’s nothing quite like it except for maybe Bond No 9 Chez Bond which seems to share the same base.
    You're right, but I wore Aspen 30 years ago, only heard of Creed maybe 5 years ago, but I do see that GIT was released 4 years before Aspen so good on you for that. I was a child at the time with parents whom neither could nor would afford such a ridiculous extravagance as a $200 bottle of cologne. And after the extreme disappointment I've gotten from my sample, neither will I now.

As far as cool water, I smell zero similarity between it and the other two. Zero.

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    Is GIT also watered down these days?
    Yup, current stuff is a joke. The verbena opening has been gutted out and replaced by some green fern-like chemical note which makes me sneeze. Latest GIT I would go with is 2015 to be on the safe side, though some 2016 batches were good.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I liked Green Irish Tweed from sampling, but not enough to spring for a bottle. It was surprisingly synthetic, I thought, but I could understand why it’s a hit.

I did wear Aspen deodorant in 1994, doing a study abroad. I also tried Cool Water on that trip, which someone had recommended, but I didn’t like it. I tried Green Irish Tweed from a sample here at the house in 2015.

I liked Aspen.

I think GIT is only superficially like Cool Water (a greenness) and I don't really like either.

I'd say that CW's drydown is plasticky and GIT's is richer and don't smell alike by then anyway.

Just tried it again, used almost a third of the vial, nothing. No silage at all, very disappointed. You can say what you want, but I don't give second chances with something that the scent isn't impressive anyway. Peace GIT... Worthless!
    Just curious, where did you get your sample?
    Currently wearing: Missoni Wave by Missoni

Blog Entries

It's a much cleaner and smoother version of Coty Aspen and in that regard, it being darn near identical like a copy, it garners very little respect from me. However I do appreciate how much higher grade it clearly is.

Anyway, maybe it's because I'm not applying as much from this stupid little dabber in my sample vial as I would from an atomizer in a full size, but I get almost zero performance out of GIT. It just doesn't have any silage and the longevity is maybe 3-4 hours until it fades into basically nothingness. I think it must be the lack of application, it's so impossible to get anything out of this tiny bottle without feeling like I'll just dump half the thing all over me. I'm going to try to find a way to get more next time, but so far I'm vastly underwhelmed.
    If you're new to Creed, you should be aware of batch variations and inconsistencies. I have a bottle from 2010 that smells fantastic and performs like a monster, while I have another that smells fantastic, but performs like a skin scent. They're both authentic, and purchased from reputable sellers.

People say with Creed's they have to "marinate" for a couple years to get stronger. I am hoping this to be the case with my nearly full bottle from 2017, because as of now, the performance sucks, and I have little from the 2010 bottle left.

One of my friends on here has a batch from 17 as well and he says it's super strong, even saying, the strongest batch he's smelled.

I don't think GIT has quite the variants as Aventus. With GIT it's more about performance issues and people thinking they have fake bottles because they don't last long.

Dependent

I get moderate performance, which is fine for the type of scent that it is.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Yup, current stuff is a joke. The verbena opening has been gutted out and replaced by some green fern-like chemical note which makes me sneeze. Latest GIT I would go with is 2015 to be on the safe side, though some 2016 batches were good.
    I actually hate the fresher opening that is incorporated in the more recent bottles, I started noticing it as early as 2011. To me GIT got pulled more in the direction to appease a wider audience and consequently it lost much of its glow.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

It was one of 4, don't recall which...
    Perfumed Court
    Fragrancenet
    Microperfumes
    Indigo Perfumery

Could also have been FragranceX I guess but I don't recall using them for anything in years so I don't think so.

Very rarely does a sample vial spray as much as a bottle. Surrender to chance has uses terrible spray vials, for example; darn things always get stuck.

Splashes and dabbers? Forget about it.

On that note, I get great performance from my (recent) bottle of GiT. Great in late Spring - mid Summer.

Give Chez Bond a go if GIT doesn't sit right with you. Personally I prefer GIT, but Chez Bond is rather similar, perhaps smoother and sweeter. This gives it a more synthetic feel to GIT, put I don't necessarily think that's always a bad thing.

Anyway, maybe you'll get better longevity from CB? Although I've never found that a problem with GIT.
    Please see my "wanted partials"
    Currently wearing: Herod by Parfums de Marly

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

I tried Aspen last night and I don't see any similarity. CW, yes. But current CW is so damn harsh. I use to wear Aspen in high school but I got sick of it. It was too harsh as well, so I gave it to a friend of mine.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I tried Aspen last night and I don't see any similarity. CW, yes. But current CW is so damn harsh. I use to wear Aspen in high school but I got sick of it. It was too harsh as well, so I gave it to a friend of mine.
    I agree..

Aspen smells like a cheaper CW imo. If you want a good, although, not as natural smelling GIT on the cheap, Armaf Tres Nuit is the best out there.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    Give Chez Bond a go if GIT doesn't sit right with you. Personally I prefer GIT, but Chez Bond is rather similar, perhaps smoother and sweeter. This gives it a more synthetic feel to GIT, put I don't necessarily think that's always a bad thing.

Anyway, maybe you'll get better longevity from CB? Although I've never found that a problem with GIT.
    Agree, it's worth a try. I liken Chez Bond to "GIT's younger brother".

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    If you want a good, although, not as natural smelling GIT on the cheap, Armaf Tres Nuit is the best out there.
    Rasasi Egra is the best clone IMO. Top and mid notes are identical. The base isn't quite as good but you don't notice it until several hours into the wear.

Ask yourself if it's really the kind of scent you feel you need to wear often, and also if another, similar scent is a reasonable substitute. That has saved me a huge amount of money over the years!