Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Dependent
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cant get past the bottle design.

Yes, that can really persuade me from buying a bottle, and even influence my perception of the sent.

Abercrombie and Fitch-Fierce

It's like they wanted to do something like LeMale but had no budget, so went the 99cent store route and had a generic clear rectangle bottle and slapped a sticker on the back. I like the scent but I don't want that tacky bottle in my collection.

Mambo for Men looks like it's for women, but it even looks cheap. I get the bottle matches the name, like it's shaking its hips, but it looks like they made a mistake with the mold.

In fact, most of the Liz Claiborne men's fragrances have lousy bottles. Bora Bora is extravagant but also extremely tacky and cheap looking. Curve is one of the best men's scents ever but the bottle is very teenager-like and even feminine.

Basenotes Junkie

O D'riu
    fit.32283.jpg

Divine (very 80's looking)

1 Million, some of the newer Bogart bottles, the skull ones (Diesel?), the trophy/urn one, the barbell and gambling one would have to contain really good perfume to become tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Never understood the motivation of this bottle:
    Didn't this brand also have the Boy Toy one? Seems like they're catering to the bear market. Does the owner look hairy?

Never understood the motivation of this bottle:
    Jeremy Scott was the creative director at the time, not sure if he still is. He put bear designs on the t-shirts as well. I think it's fun.

I forgot Diesel only the brave, IMO designed to appeal to teenage boys. I also think the Nemo Y-shaped bottle looks weird.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PartySnake View Post
    Same. I will never own a JPG fragrance. I will not use another mans torso and junk to spray myself down no matter how the juice smells.
    Is the 'junk' actually displayed on the bottle? I need to go back and look at some of these JPG's.
    Currently wearing: Aura by Thierry Mugler

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Guerlain Listerine mouthwash bottles
    I like the look of these!

Yep! Personally not bothered by the “kitsch” bottles like the JPG range, but I do have a problem with the more gaudy/tacky designs like the Valentino Uomo line, anything Roja and some of the Arabic lines.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cologne Cabinet View Post
    I hated Mugler Pure Havane and hated the bottle only a little bit less
    I remember buying this 10 years because it was the last one in stores and for nearly the entire time I owned it I hated it. Those were the days.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Wingie View Post
    Is the 'junk' actually displayed on the bottle? I need to go back and look at some of these JPG's.
    there's a bulge but not an outline of a penis or anything. it's not really any more tasteless than a statue of a woman with breasts showing imo, but to each their own.

Basenotes Junkie

A common theme of reviews of CK1 Shock PH is that it could have been marketed very differently. The bottle is juvenile, and more mature packaging might have made a world of difference. Funny how so many people say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I like the look of these!
    As do I the sprayers are nice as well, I like the wooden style caps too.
    The finishing piece to my day’s attire is always a solid fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Those L'Occitane bottles that look like cough mixture are a turn-off for me - they may have been re-vamped by now though.

I try not to let bottle design influence my decisions on what to try or buy, but House of Sillage stuff is so repellent and ridiculously priced that I've never been tempted by any of their perfumes.
    I'm also not a fan of sticking crystals on things - like Micallef and Roja, but these I will try out if the opportunity presents itself.
    At worst, one is in motion; and at best,
    Reaching no absolute, in which to rest,
    One is always nearer by not keeping still.
    Thom Gunn 'On the Move'

Basenotes Plus

I remember buying this 10 years because it was the last one in stores and for nearly the entire time I owned it I hated it. Those were the days.
    Sounds right on....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Funwithfrags View Post
    A common theme of reviews of CK1 Shock PH is that it could have been marketed very differently. The bottle is juvenile, and more mature packaging might have made a world of difference. Funny how so many people say that.
    I have to agree, not a fan of the graffiti logo. I was surprised the bottle was painted, after seeing pictures online before I bought it I presumed it was a plastic sleeve. The sprayer also drenched your arm. A lot of people say it should have been marketed as a new masculine fragrance as it bears no DNA with CK One. I see it more as CK's answer to Pure Havane.

Rogue perfumery

I like the fragrances, but find the bottles hideous to have on display
    Selling decants in US, Tom Ford, Creed, Bortnikoff, MFK, and more!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/478...-Lush-and-more

There’s definitely some odd bottle designs out there, but it makes you appreciate the good ones so much more.

Some bottles on which I‘ve changed my mind:

Tauers: Hated them at first. That 90s glassware blue! Pentagonal? ... Since I got LADDM and have had the real bottle in hand, I love it. Looks mysterious, sticks out visually, is aesthetically pleasing and well thought out.

Histoires 60ml bottles: I almost didn‘t buy Noir Patchouli because these cut in half things didn‘t appeal to me. Looks like you didn‘t get the full product or something. Glad I got it anyways. Noir Patchouli is wonderful and again, as soon as the bottle had arrived, I suddenly liked the look. It‘s a pity that their 15mls do not further the concept, as in also being just a cut of the big 120ml ones.

BOND! Although I don‘t have a very positive attitude towards the brand due to various reasons, I‘ve started to like the bottles somehow. First I found them disproportionate, tacky, overly decorated, ... Until one day, I was in a bit of a melancholic mood, and suddenly realized that when put next to each other they look like a line of happy, cheering people. I find that so sweet, I just cant dislike the general design concept anymore.
    Last edited by ThVH; 23rd January 2021 at 03:51 PM.
    Currently wearing: African Leather by Memo

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    Abercrombie and Fitch-Fierce

It's like they wanted to do something like LeMale but had no budget, so went the 99cent store route and had a generic clear rectangle bottle and slapped a sticker on the back. I like the scent but I don't want that tacky bottle in my collection.
    That's another one that I would simply refuse to own because of the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    I could do without Guerlain's reworked bee bottles, especially for heady classics like Samsara.
    You're in luck! Guerlain's phasing them out, in favour of the bottle already used for Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue.

Screenshot 2021-01-23 at 19.39.17.jpg

I like to tell myself that I'm impervious to packaging, but these look pretty stylish.

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    You're in luck! Guerlain's phasing them out, in favour of the bottle already used for Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue.

Screenshot 2021-01-23 at 19.39.17.jpg

I like to tell myself that I'm impervious to packaging, but these look pretty stylish.
    inb4 all classic Guerlains are shit now with new bottles. They last literally 2 seconds, and smell like a highschooler made them in a bathtub. Not a big fan of the bee bottles as they are now there's something cheap looking about them compared to the splash version, and these look cheap too compared to the vintage bottles. When you stretch that design out it looks like a bread loaf.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    inb4 all classic Guerlains are shit now with new bottles. They last literally 2 seconds, and smell like a highschooler made them in a bathtub. Not a big fan of the bee bottles as they are now there's something cheap looking about them compared to the splash version, and these look cheap too compared to the vintage bottles. When you stretch that design out it looks like a bread loaf.
    Have they been reformulated again with these new bottles? I've tried the bee bottle reformulations and some (not all) seemed fine to me.

Samsara took a hit in the bee bottle and is a shadow of its former self, most Guerlain fragrances hold their own even while reformulated. I’m not sure why they let this happen with Samsara maybe the newer bottles will bring this one back my wife quite enjoys it and only has a 1.7oz in the older all red vase style bottle.
    The finishing piece to my day’s attire is always a solid fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by chypre View Post
    Have they been reformulated again with these new bottles? I've tried the bee bottle reformulations and some (not all) seemed fine to me.
    I've not heard any reformulation rumours in connection with the new packaging.

From what I understand they haven't even been launched in the US yet.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I have a bunch of campy old Avon. I have no horse in this race.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    I've not heard any reformulation rumours in connection with the new packaging.

From what I understand they haven't even been launched in the US yet.
    Ah I see. I really hope they've kept the recent reformulation of Apres l'ondee, which was great.

Basenotes Plus

Im super bottle picky. I definitely wont buy a frag if i dont like the bottle. Deal breaker. Worst
    1 million
    Invictus
    Bad Boy
    Moschinos
    Alien Man
    Mugler Pures
    I smell.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast