Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Cant get past the bottle design.

Hi.Iknow its wrong to " judge a book by its cover" but due to bottle design,there are certain houses i never go near without even trying them!!!!
    Paco Rabanne,Jean Paul Gaultier and Montale are perfect examples.
    Crazy i know,its of course whats inside the bottle that matters,but i just dont want to see them in my collection.
    On the flip side ,other brands im drawn to because of bottle design e.g. zoologist and ELDO.
    Any one else influenced like this?
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Default Cant get past the bottle design.

Not so crazy. Bad bottle design puts me off trying in the first place. Were I to receive a sample randomly and really liking it, it would not put me off buying, however.

I also like when houses have a coherent bottle design (e.g. Acqua di Parma, Creed, Parfums de Marly, etc.). I can‘t stand having multiple bottles from a house and every bottle looks different. It‘s just a bad CI/CD choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dependent

Default Re: Cant get past the bottle design.

Quote Originally Posted by jal123 View Post
    Yep.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I am not. Actually I do like quirky bottles - designer brands have more fun bottles than so-called niche and artisanal brands.
    Currently wearing: Ambra Aurea by Profumum

Missing Oakmoss

I could do without Guerlain's reworked bee bottles, especially for heady classics like Samsara. But overall, bottle design is not a deal-breaker for me.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

For me - bottle design has no bearing on my choice of a fragrance to purchase and add to my collection.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Bottle design isn't really too much of a deal breaker for me as there's not anything out there that I would want to wear that I can think of that has a bottle that I think is hideous.

I like the look of the A*Men bottles, but the sprayers on them are terrible.

What I really like is when a line has a design that is clean and cohesive. The Louis Vuittons and Diors are my favorites. I like the Slumberhouses and Le Labos. Those are all nice and smooth to hold.

I despise the look of the Mugler A*Men bottles. They look incredibly tacky to me.

Otherwise, I'm not super picky.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I despise the look of the Mugler A*Men bottles. They look incredibly tacky to me.

Otherwise, I'm not super picky.
    +1 on that.

Adding Carolina Herrera Bad Girl and Bad Boy. Moschino Fresh.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

If really liking a fragrance, not caring much about or paying very little attention to the bottle and/or box design
    Currently wearing: 9.0 by Zara

It's pleasing when everything comes together, great smell, cool bottle and reasonable price --- Dior Homme comes to mind

Basenotes Institution

All about the juice.

Coach and 1 Million and its flankers.

Completely agree, especially the first two you mentioned including their scents. However the Montale bottles look great from what I've seen, absolutely love them. Also really detest the Abercrombie fierce bottle with that stupid male model background picture. I'm hetero, I don't want to look at male bodies at all, ever, so that one really turns me off, however I actually love the scent of it, unlike the other two. With Paco Rabies, as I call it, those golden bar bottles just turn me off because I find gold ridiculously hideous and gaudy in general plus it smells juvenile and feminine to me. With JPG stuff its like Fierce times 10, no thanks, plus they smell horrendously juvenile and feminine to me no thanks.

Anything with the sprayer built into the bottle body not a fan of those at all. I’m also not a fan of the Bvlgari Man bottles the sprayers are crap and over time shoot like squirt gun total waste of time and money. I might add a few as I think of them but presentation and sprayer quality is very important to me especially after being exposed to the quality sprayers of some brands.

One I make an exception for is Costume National Homme, the fragrance is 10/10 but the sprayer is quite cheaply made feels like it could easily break and puts out a small amount of fragrance which is a good thing due to the strength of this fragrance but the sprayer as a whole deserves to be a lot nicer.

Same. I will never own a JPG fragrance. I will not use another mans torso and junk to spray myself down no matter how the juice smells.
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

I keep all fragrances in their original box, in a drawer. I do appreciate nice bottles though.

Basenotes Plus

Paco Rabanne and Jean Paul Gaultier have some fragrances that smell pretty nice actually.

That said, I know what you mean about the bottles. They're pretty kitschy.

Plus, those are already super popular. They don't need any more help!

Basenotes Plus

I had to actually sit and think about this question for a bit. It turns out, I love so many perfume bottles that I had a hard time trying to think of ones I hate! XD
    (Yes..I like High Kitsch! XD)

Then I googled "ugliest perfume bottles", and I learned that Fragrantica has a thread that is many, many pages long with lots of visual examples! XD
    I realized I actually agree with quite a few of them! XD

First, though, and foremost, I want to add: Kenzo World! I completely forgot about it until just now!
    The bottle just gives me the creeps, I don't think I could ever own that! I can't even recall what the perfume was like (obviously not good enough to make up for the bottle!)
    But..Kenzo World is definitely one where the bottle scares me so much I almost don't even care about what's inside! XD

Another really good dishonorable mention (lol) is that creepy one from Azzaro that looks like a phallus. (Seriously.) Yeeeahhh..
    I look at that and think..not so much!! XD

Jean Paul Gaultier actually does have at least a couple that I can hardly look at!
    I thought of mentioning that one from Moschino that looks like a Windex bottle, but it makes me laugh! XD I don't know if I would everr buy it, but at least it amuses me!

Dependent

My situation is a little different: I've lost interest in Slumberhouse since the flask style bottle was abandoned. It was the perfect aesthetic to go with the house. The rectagular bottle with the big metal plate and the current ones are fine, but just don't scream Slumberhouse to me. They might as well be cheap decant bottles.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jal123 View Post
    Hi.Iknow its wrong to " judge a book by its cover" but due to bottle design,there are certain houses i never go near without even trying them!!!!
    Paco Rabanne,Jean Paul Gaultier and Montale are perfect examples.
    Crazy i know,its of course whats inside the bottle that matters,but i just dont want to see them in my collection.
    On the flip side ,other brands im drawn to because of bottle design e.g. zoologist and ELDO.
    Bond No. 9

The ugliest bottles to me are the ones that try to hard to convey some faux sense of prestige and luxury but usually end up looking tacky and cheap. Parfums de Marley is the worst of them, but I also hate how Clive Christian, Xerjoff and those Penhaligons with animal heads look.

I don't think a bad bottle would deter from buying a scent I love, but if the brand aesthetic is totally contrary to my tastes I probably wouldn't bother to try it in the first place. I must say I do like the look of all my simple modern bottles of Frederic Malle, Chanel and Hermes together.

I absolutely love Gaultier for putting a naked male torso in so many straight men's bathrooms.

Edit: Oh yes Bond no 9 are terrible I forgot about them, thanks bklow

Spice bomb. Those idiotic skull bottles.

I'm less likely to buy an ugly bottle. And I won't touch those ridiculous Moschino bottles.

Interesting read actually

Basenotes Plus

I hated Mugler Pure Havane and hated the bottle only a little bit less

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

As more than a token minimalist I struggle with many bottle designs more than I should. Such a feeling does not come in so handy for a hobby I love. It engenders a lot of inconveniences.

With the bottles placed in proximity to one another I don’t often sense the aesthetic/beauty that others do. In fact, being one of those people who keeps them in a drawer - albeit neatly, of course - kinda tells you all you need to know. And those bottles which are minimal in design often get a separate placement, about as close to a display as anything in my humble abode.

I agree with what was said above about those houses that strive for continuity in bottle design, and naturally I get drawn to those houses, which of course becomes an impediment that I need to overcome to discover and test new wonderful things. Thus I became a moth to a flame when Tom Ford first released the private collection. Again, too, when I tried Creed, Le Labo, PdM, Margiela, Helmut Lang, etc. It’s actually pretty sad/bad that another sense other than smell would be my first directive. Sigh, I think I’m going to organize my dishes (again) . . . lol!
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

Never understood the motivation of this bottle:
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by PartySnake View Post
    Same. I will never own a JPG fragrance. I will not use another mans torso and junk to spray myself down no matter how the juice smells.
    Agreed!!

Basenotes Plus

I plead ‘GUILTY’, your Honour.

Offending culprits:

House of Oud - Easter-egg-gone-crazy aesthetic.

Diesel’s fist bottles.

CdG’s awkward space-hoarding pebble-shaped bottles.

Guerlain Listerine mouthwash bottles

And I share Bangkok Hound’s disappointment with Slumberhouse’s questionable decision to repackage. I’d have bought one just for the old bottle but the new ones? Not a chance.