Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Do you know any men's frag from the 90's or earlier that has never been reformulated?

If so, I'd love to know!

Default Re: Do you know any men's frag from the 90's or earlier that has never been reformulated?

Houses not following regulations I’d assume, look forward to the list as well there has to be a few that are still untouched.

Default Re: Do you know any men's frag from the 90's or earlier that has never been reformulated?

My related question: is there any evidence that reformulations based on possible health-related matters are making any difference? Are doctors seeing fewer asthma patients related to fragrances? Fewer allergy cases? My guess is no, in part due to natural aversion among the inflicted.

So yes, I’ll whine: all much ado about very, very little. Bring back oakmoss first, please and thank you.

IFRA's dictates are so pervasive that I doubt there is anything unreformulated. Pretty much all perfumes contained either oakmoss or coumarin or animalics (not to mention bergamot, jasmine, birch tar, and so on and so on)

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    is there any evidence that reformulations based on possible health-related matters are making any difference?
    Good question!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

I have the current and vintage versions of Aramis Havana (1994), Aramis Tuscany (1984) and Aramis Devin (1978).

I've worn them all a bunch and the smell is 99% identical current vs vintage. The only real difference is the vintage may have a bit more longevity, but not by much.

I'm sure all of these have been re-formed to some degree, but their overall profiles are remarkably consistent.

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

I doubt there's any mainstream fragrances that didn't have some kind of tweaking that occurred over the past 20+ years.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Sure, but they're all vintage.

I'm certain all of them have been altered in some way or another since their release.

only to be found on EBay at inflated prices

Off topic: In general, my asthma is triggered more easily by older juices than modern reformulations. Thank you IFRA? Just kidding, haha! My solution with asthma is to hold my breath while spraying and then moving to another room before breathing in (I spray under my shirt).

I'd say even without IFRA, a decades old fragrance would have very likely undergone some change or another due to business-related or whatever reasons (availability or cost of ingredients, the constant pressure to make more profit, changing trends in people's taste etc.). And still we wouldn't know for sure, because an old bottle would likely smell slightly different than a fresh one, even without any reformulation. Not to mention batch variations.
    My Most Worn by Decade
    90's: YSL Jazz
    00's: Clinique Happy for Men
    10's: Armani Code Sport
    20's: Aramis Havana, L'eau Bleue d'Issey, Fahrenheit

Never been reformulated?

Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Creed - Royal Oud
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Creed - Bois du Portugal
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by JJ The Terrible View Post
    Sure, but they're all vintage.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

To a certain extent, perhaps Chevignon Brand
    (a citrus leathery-vetiver chypre fragrance first released in the early 1990s, did test in the late 90s and buy in the early 2000s without sensing any significant change of in the late 2000s to the early 2010s did last retest this)
    Currently wearing: 9.0 by Zara

I've heard that even Jeremy's Fragrance One Office for Men is reformulated these days.

No, you can expect fragrances to be reformulated about every 2-5 years.
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

you would have a hard time finding something from the even the mid 2010s that hasn't been reformulated .