Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which one is less "formal": Boucheron pH or Lalique pH Lion? (EdT/EdP)

I'm thinking of blind buying either one because the price is good. I've read they bear some resemblance to each other. FWIW, I love Cerruti 1881 Men, which I've read is in the same vein.

So I've got actually four choices, as both come in EdT and EdP. "Something tells me" I might like the EdT's more (maybe I'm thinking the EdP's might be too opulent?)

As perhaps can be seen from my wardrobe, I'm not the biggest fan of sweetness in fragrances, not that a slight vanillic vibe bothers me (say, like in Jaguar for Men). But for example, Armani Code Absolu is definitely approaching sickly/cloying territory for me.

I like citrus.

I think Equus is fine, but find it a bit introverted and restrained.

I don't mind smelling "old" per se but I'm not a fan of opulence (think: most Amouages). I love many of the old (reformulated) classics, as is evident from my wardrobe. I don't mind the florals in Knize Ten or Fahrenheit but I think Aramis 900 or Grey Flannel is a bit much. Caron pour Homme to me is "too old" in a stuffy way.

Hmm, any suggestions based on the above ramblings?
    My Most Worn by Decade
    90's: YSL Jazz
    00's: Clinique Happy for Men
    10's: Armani Code Sport
    20's: Aramis Havana, L'eau Bleue d'Issey, Fahrenheit

Default Re: Which one is less "formal": Boucheron pH or Lalique pH Lion? (EdT/EdP)

Boucheron also has an edt and edp and are a bit different from each other imo.......which one do you refer to?
    My Top '12':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco/Aoud Vanille
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - Initio: Side Effect
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - PdM: Layton

Default Re: Which one is less "formal": Boucheron pH or Lalique pH Lion? (EdT/EdP)

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Boucheron also has an edt and edp and are a bit different from each other imo.......which one do you refer to?
    I would anyway go for the Lalique ph Lion (edp!)
    My Top '12':

- Antaeus (vtg)

Quote Originally Posted by motorcade View Post
    I'm thinking of blind buying either one because the price is good. I've read they bear some resemblance to each other. FWIW, I love Cerruti 1881 Men, which I've read is in the same vein.
    If you like Cerruti 1881, then Boucheron PH EdT is the way to go - the EdP has an imbalance of notes which steer further away from the classic 1881 accord. I like Boucheron much more than the Cerruti mind you.

Blog Entries

Personally, if I was looking for what you’re looking for, I’d go for Mancera Hindu Kush. It’s actually a high quality gents’ scent which has similarities to Boucheron brought into the 21st century.

The Lalique is about as formal as it gets.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

I would anyway go for the Lalique ph Lion (edp!)
    I was kind of referring to all four (2 EdT's & 2 EdP's).
    My Most Worn by Decade

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    If you like Cerruti 1881, then Boucheron PH EdT is the way to go - the EdP has an imbalance of notes which steer further away from the classic 1881 accord. I like Boucheron much more than the Cerruti mind you.
    At some point, I was already close to blind buying Boucheron pH EdT. If I remember right, the supposedly high amount of "old lady" floral notes turned me against it. Someone also said the Boucheron pH EdT smells "stuffy", which made me cautious. An example to me of stuffy/dull would be Caron pour Homme, which I did not like, although of course I'm aware two fragrances can be perceived as stuffy yet smell very different.
    My Most Worn by Decade

The Lalique for me any day (either)

Boucheron PH smells like an old Aunt

I was kind of referring to all four (2 EdT's & 2 EdP's).
    Ok, but mind that Boucheron edt and edp is different in smell while the Lalique is not (only difference in strength mainly)
    My Top '12':

- Antaeus (vtg)

Ok, but mind that Boucheron edt and edp is different in smell while the Lalique is not (only difference in strength mainly)
    Thanks! Good to know. I already knew that with the Boucheron, EdT would most likely be more suitable for me.
    My Most Worn by Decade

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    The Lalique for me any day (either)

Boucheron PH smells like an old Aunt
    I've yet to find a Lalique (or a Bentley produced by Lalique) which wows me, so I'm kind of hesitating to blind buy any more from them. Lalique White was one of the few fragrances I've owned that I simply didn't want to wear.

To me "old Aunt" is a melange of many different floral notes thrown together, something like Grey Flannel. Are we talking that kind of old Aunt here? Then again, I personally love the rose in Declaration d'un Soir and Etro ManRose (my wife complains they're old woman's scents though).
    My Most Worn by Decade

Hmm, I think I should start a thread titled "Anyone out there who loves Cerruti 1881 Men but hates Boucheron pour Homme?"

I think that should give me some idea, because Cerruti 1881 Men is great IMO,
    My Most Worn by Decade

I've yet to find a Lalique (or a Bentley produced by Lalique) which wows me, so I'm kind of hesitating to blind buy any more from them. Lalique White was one of the few fragrances I've owned that I simply didn't want to wear.

To me "old Aunt" is a melange of many different floral notes thrown together, something like Grey Flannel. Are we talking that kind of old Aunt here? Then again, I personally love the rose in Declaration d'un Soir and Etro ManRose (my wife complains they're old woman's scents though).
    Oh -- it seems like our tastes differ as I like Lalique's White quite a bit even though I remember it being a little shy.

The Aunt I am talking about is a sort of dusty, lemony one who wears lots of face powder. It just feels very dated to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    The Aunt I am talking about is a sort of dusty, lemony one who wears lots of face powder. It just feels very dated to me.
    Hmm. I guess the next question is, is it a lemony FRESH aunt? I just don't like to smell like a stale/stuffy/musty aunt.
    My Most Worn by Decade

Hmm. I guess the next question is, is it a lemony FRESH aunt? I just don't like to smell like a stale/stuffy/musty aunt.
    No, the opposite to 'fresh'.

Hey, it's just my take on it - lots of basenoters love it, but it's not a fragrance I would recommend buying blind.

Boucheron PH feels fussy and stuffy to me.

Lalique pour Homme EDP is the best scent in the Lalique masculine lineup. Crisp and comforting. Better than the likes of Equus and White. (Second-best Lalique masculine behind Lalique PH is probably Hommage à L'Homme, which is a unique take on violet.)

Hmm, I think I should start a thread titled "Anyone out there who loves Cerruti 1881 Men but hates Boucheron pour Homme?"

I think that should give me some idea, because Cerruti 1881 Men is great IMO,
    Ha, I'm the exact opposite - love Boucheron PH (particularly EDP), but dislike Cerruti 1881. To me they are not that similar, with the exception of a few shared notes.

Quote Originally Posted by maksidrom View Post
    Ha, I'm the exact opposite - love Boucheron PH (particularly EDP), but dislike Cerruti 1881. To me they are not that similar, with the exception of a few shared notes.
    Yeah, the more I read, the clearer it seems there's not as much similarity as I had thought/hoped.
    My Most Worn by Decade

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Boucheron pH EdP

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution

The Lalique is more formal.

Tending to agree that while both are quite classic, gentlemanly and formal, Bopucheron PH is the slightly fresher, sportier and more casual one among these two.
    While Lalique Lion PH in EDT/EDP version has perhaps an extra formality mainly but not exclusively due to more pronounced lavender notes.
    Currently wearing: Denim Musk by Denim

Lalique PH to my nose is slightly less formal.
    Yet from your information looks like you'd enjoy the Boucheron more.
    However! Personally, I hardly ever reach for the Boucheron(EDT). Feels a bit too fusty and made up and After an initial honeymoon period, it's a too floral and cloying for me once the opening citrus burns off. Prefer the Lalique, EDT, and would 100% recommend having a nose in the least.

Boucheron Pour Homme EDP is like a mix of Acqua di Parma Colonia (top & mid) and Abercrombie & Fitch Woods (base) in the clear bottle.
    Nice for the price, but still prefer the more rounded Lalique Pour Homme EDP.
    My opinions in weblog form: FragranceReviewer.com
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I feel the total opposite To me the EdP is much closer to the 1881 accord.

The EdT for Boucheron PH is far away.

I agree

To me the Lalique pour Homme edt is a very solid buy. Safe blind buy.

I enjoy the Declaration D'un Soir quite a bit as well btw. Good fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Boucheron PH feels fussy and stuffy to me.

Lalique pour Homme EDP is the best scent in the Lalique masculine lineup. Crisp and comforting. Better than the likes of Equus and White. (Second-best Lalique masculine behind Lalique PH is probably Hommage à L'Homme, which is a unique take on violet.)
    I agree if talking about Boucheron EdT. Very fussy and stuffy. Feels like a fragrance for characters in the film The Leopard.

The EdP is much easier going. I find it a really good masculine. Awesome stuff to have.

Lalique pour Homme EdT, then EdP for me. Then yeah, I feel Hommage a L'homme is the next best scent from Lalique. Not crazy for the cedar heavy Equus or the ho-hum White.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Aramis Calligraphy Rose, Penhaligon's Esprit de Roi, PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Both Lalique's are less formal than Boucheron......

I own Boucheron ph edp and love it. I would say it has some similarities with Cerruti 1881 so if you like that one I find almost impossible not to love Boucheron edp. I've never tried the edt version.

How would you rate the sweetness of Boucheron pH EdP in comparison to Cartier de Pasha?

When I first sampled Pasha, I thought it was a bit too sweet, but upon re-testing I completely fell in love: just the RIGHT amount and kind of sweetness for me.

From what I understand, all of the four scents I'm looking at here (Boucheron EdP/EdT & Lion EdP/EdT) are pretty sweet in the base (?).
    My Most Worn by Decade

Well they both have minimum sweetness in them as far as I'm concerned. I'd say maybe boucheron edp is sweeter but I wouldn't think about it that is a very minuscule amount of sweetness anyway.

I feel the Boucheron pour Homme ( in either formula) is definitely much less sweet. I really recommend the EdP.

Interesting how there is a mix of opinions on both the Lalique and Boucheron being less formal.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Aramis Calligraphy Rose, Penhaligon's Esprit de Roi, PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Can only speak to Lalique pour homme, but I find it pretty formal. It can be worn dressed down, I've worn it in jeans and a t-shirt many times but having also worn it with a button down, it feels better suited to an occasion when you are well dressed.

BTW wearing Bois du Portugal today. Lalique pour homme smells quite similar to BDP, but missing the richness of the ambergris and sandalwood. Lalique pour homme gets you 80% of the way there, but it definitely smells less opulent and wealthy. They say Bois du Portugal was a signature scent for Frank Sinatra (if anything Creed says is to be believed) and that is the type of person who best suits a scent like Bois du Portugal or Lalique Pour Homme, a refined gentleman with exceptional taste from a previous era
    Formerly known as BeardedBarbershopFan - Still have a beard and still a barbershop fan