Code of Conduct

Default A noob on TF Grey Vetiver

Opening is disgusting. Like fresh rubber and burning lemon grass. After a few minutes it's less burning but still rubber and still not pleasant at all. Yup, suspicions confined, I don't at all like the overpriced garbage people on these forums keep pushing! I get the feeling many of you are paid spokespeople.

Yeah, another hard pass, much like with anything Creed, Ford can take a long walk off a short pier. Peace!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: A noob on TF Grey Vetiver

I think you made your feeling quite clear on this one! By the way, not a fan either.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The EDT is much better, TF's best citrus fragrance in my opinion. Unfortunately both have something cloying about them. I think it's the vetiver as well as whatever 'DNA' Tom Ford uses as I find it true from several of his fragrances. The EDP is weirdly overrated in my opinion. The EDT absolutely nails the clean, safe, 'grey' vetiver vibe while still smelling nice. The EDP just smells too rough without smelling anything like the kind of roughness you'd expect from more earthy or 'real' vetiver.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I'll stick with the far superior Encre Noire thanks much.

I wore it a bunch while decent the dry down is too soapy I lost interest and moved on from this one. It does have its place, if you enjoy it great if not not to worry lots of Vetiver fragrances to experience.
    The finishing piece to my day’s attire is always a solid fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I wore it a bunch while decent the dry down is too soapy I lost interest and moved on from this one. It does have its place, if you enjoy it great if not not to worry lots of Vetiver fragrances to experience.
    Truth!

Also just tried black orchid and it too was disgusting trash. Extraordinarily feminine. Zero likes here. I'm fact most of what I try based on recommendations here are highly feminine or ancient in scent. Really want to determine what it is I like in a fragrance but so far I cannot pinpoint it. I can only say what I hate and it's pretty much everything you guys recommend and love.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Factory View Post
    Also just tried black orchid and it too was disgusting trash. Extraordinarily feminine. Zero likes here. I'm fact most of what I try based on recommendations here are highly feminine or ancient in scent. Really want to determine what it is I like in a fragrance but so far I cannot pinpoint it. I can only say what I hate and it's pretty much everything you guys recommend and love.
    If you tell us a few fragrances or olfactive notes that you liked (instead of bashing what you personally dislike and the taste of who took time to answer you), it might be more productive to help you.

Basenotes Institution

Respect your honesty. Different strokes for different folks.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I can only say what I hate and it's pretty much everything you guys recommend and love.
    Considering this remark and the content of your other threads, why did you bother making an account here? Surely not to make friends.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Clubman by Pinaud

Basenotes Plus

For long term impact, I recommend broadcasting your opinion about the fragrance in the form of a review and not in the form of venting via a thread that will disappear into oblivion. Eventually. Your point of view could be far more helpful to people worldwide, members or not, that are on the fence about purchasing the fragrance. Write a review. I too have had buyer’s/tester’s remorse over fragrances that were highly recommended. Several that are touted as the greatest thing ever don’t even move the needle for me. I test, and either I buy or move on. Sorry you didn’t like the fragrance. Best wishes moving forward.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Basenotes Plus

I'll stick with the far superior Encre Noire thanks much.
    Encre Noire is garbage. I'll stick to the Extreme A L'extreme thanks.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Pathetique by O'Driù

Basenotes Plus

Truth!
    and nonsense.

Basenotes Plus

"so far I cannot pinpoint it."

Try a little Socrates ":Know Thyself"

I get a rubbery feel from a lot of vetivers. But not this one. Personally I love TF Grey Vetiver. But maybe you need to stick to the earthy / rooty vetivers.

-- not a paid spokesperson.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Creed - Royal Oud
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Creed - Bois du Portugal
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

I'm surprised Grey Vetiver can provoke such hostility -- it's so dull.

It's like having Daniel Plainview back on the boards! I liked that guy

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I get a rubbery feel from a lot of vetivers. But not this one. Personally I love TF Grey Vetiver. But maybe you need to stick to the earthy / rooty vetivers.
    I get a nice nutmeg note from TF Grey Vetiver which I think acts as a way to bind the opening with the base. Alas, the base didn't do much for me so I sold my bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    Try a little Socrates ":Know Thyself"
    Currently wearing: Déclaration by Cartier

Roja Vetiver is a much better version

The TF is pretty good though.

Do happen to like and recommend this only in the EDP version, having for some reason (s) never liked both the concentration and the actual smell smell of its EDT rendition.

Nevertheless, if having to mention vetiver scents do like even more than this one, likely to add and/or second one a significantly much more involved extent:
    Guerlain Vetiver, Creed OV, Chopard Noble Vetiver, the discontinued Yves Rocher Eau de Vetyver and Lanvin Vetyver, l'Occitane Eau de Vetyver
    Currently wearing: On El by J del Pozo

But it is feminine, and is marketed as feminine, and I agree that it's a bombshell/femme fatale type of fragrance, more feminine than I'll ever be. I mean, some guys are able to pull it off better than I could, but I wonder why you're trying a feminine fragrance and then complaining that it's too feminine. I mean, duh, of course it is.

I like Grey Vetiver though.

Your threads are entertaining, keep on going. But I'll agree with Diddy, do put your observations in the reviews section, too.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I get a nice nutmeg note from TF Grey Vetiver which I think acts as a way to bind the opening with the base. Alas, the base didn't do much for me so I sold my bottle.
    +1 on both the nutmeg and the base. I also love the use of iris here. If the base was smoother, Grey Vetiver would probably be one of my all time favorites. I tend to be really picky about how smooth I want a base to be though.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Royal Oud
    Endymion
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Interlude Man