Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Finally another good manly fragrance

I don't know if there needs to be a subforum for hetero guys or I just need to learn what I consider manly better, but most of what is recommended to me on this forum is disgustingly feminine. Usually grandma feminine, in fact. But through some searching of my own outside this place I finally found another scent I actually like and, of course, it's from Chanel!!!

Sycamore! Fresh, spicy, woody... That's all I can say from the one spray sampling so far, but far far far better than all the Tom Ford and Creed garbage I've been trying, based on terrible recommendations here so far.

3 frags from Chanel have blown my mind to this point. Bleu De - Parfum, Platinum Egoiste and Sycamore. Jaw dropping scents for sure. Although the first is a mite bit juvenile and the latter two are quite "old manish". Might seem an odd 3 selection because of that, but I think it's the woodyness in them. Yet to be determined, but perhaps.

All Is Beautiful

Default Re: Finally another good manly fragrance

They are super good and high quality. I love PM, Egoiste, and Cuir de Russie but enjoy all of them.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I don't think sexual orientation has anything to do with perception of masculinity, especially given that Sycomore was originally composed in 1930 as a feminine perfume for founder Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel, and what you're smelling is a modern reformulation by Jacques Polge in 2008 (EdT)/2016 (EdP) that is marketed as unisex now.

Many women here on Basenotes use Sycomore, in case that affects your decision to continue liking it.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Basenotes Institution

+1 on Chanel Bleu Parfum.

There are plenty of great fragrances in the same vein of Sycamore out there, and lots even more “manly”. TONS of threads here that give thousands of great options....so I’m just not sure you’re looking properly.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Old Factory View Post
    I don't know if there needs to be a subforum for hetero guys or I just need to learn what I consider manly better, but most of what is recommended to me on this forum is disgustingly feminine. Usually grandma feminine, in fact. But through some searching of my own outside this place I finally found another scent I actually like and, of course, it's from Chanel!!!

Sycamore! Fresh, spicy, woody... That's all I can say from the one spray sampling so far, but far far far better than all the Tom Ford and Creed garbage I've been trying, based on terrible recommendations here so far.

3 frags from Chanel have blown my mind to this point. Bleu De - Parfum, Platinum Egoiste and Sycamore. Jaw dropping scents for sure. Although the first is a mite bit juvenile and the latter two are quite "old manish". Might seem an odd 3 selection because of that, but I think it's the woodyness in them. Yet to be determined, but perhaps.

If you could provide examples of the scents which you have found "Disgustingly Feminine", you may invite more interesting responses. Perhaps suggest a new Subgroup (ala Creed Aventus) "Men Who find Perfumes that are Disgustingly Feminine" or such.

Perhaps, also, describe ( Fill out your Generalizations) of the Perfumes marketed Masculine. "old manish" and "mite bit juvenile" are rather juvenile statements.

I will invite you, as having identified yourself as novice, to engage in writing Reviews of Scents.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

I could see a hetero manly man forum with a chat room, so we straight dudes can meet up to wrestle and shower together without the interference of women and girly smelling men. Actually, I think I've been to a club like that once and everybody wore leather and there was a bathtub in the middle of the room. I think it was called Stiefelknecht (it was in Cologne) which means something like boot servant.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't know if there needs to be a subforum for hetero guys or I just need to learn what I consider manly better
    Good grief.

I feel sorry for guys who trap themselves in stereotypes. I'm a straight guy, but I love lots of scents women could easily wear, and the feedback I've gotten from women has been incredibly enthusiastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah1919 View Post
    There are plenty of great fragrances in the same vein of Sycamore out there, and lots even more “manly”. TONS of threads here that give thousands of great options....so I’m just not sure you’re looking properly.
    THIS.

You (the OP) would probably do better in the Just Starting Out forum.

Figuring out what appeals to you shouldn't mean degrading people who enjoy a style that doesn't appeal to you, unless it's a case where a fragile ego can't handle the thought that some people enjoy styles you do not.

I remember standing at the Bond No 9 counter years ago, next to a huge guy. He was at least 6'4" and big but fit. I assume he was an athlete, but hell, I have no clue. I just remember he was huge & both he and his girlfriend (wife?) looked like a million bucks. And I couldn't help noticing he smelled frigging amazing. Anyway... when he left the counter, I asked the SA if she noticed - I should have asked him, but he and his GF were talking and I didn't want to interrupt. The SA said she just sold him a bottle of Chinatown, and when she sprayed it for me, I knew "Yup. That's it." I couldn't pull off Chinatown. It doesn't suit me, but on that guy it smelled awesome and undoubtably masculine.

When you find your sense of style, that's fantastic. Go with it and enjoy. But the idea that anything which doesn't suit your style is inherently bad or not-manly... well... that's juvenile.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Royal Oud
    Endymion
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Aqua Celestia
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Amouage Silver Man
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Universalis
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer

Considering how much you said you like Encre Noire, it's not surprising at all that you like Chanel Sycomore. They are very similar.....Sycomore being noticeably more smoky.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    I could see a hetero manly man forum with a chat room, so we straight dudes can meet up to wrestle and shower together without the interference of women and girly smelling men. Actually, I think I've been to a club like that once and everybody wore leather and there was a bathtub in the middle of the room. I think it was called Stiefelknecht (it was in Cologne) which means something like boot servant.
    Be warned Old Factory. Russel is a HeavyWeight.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

And here's the perfect fragrance for OP to wear to the manly man's club.
    Tom_of_Finland_100_ml_1200x630.jpg

Seriously though, masculinity/heterosexuality seems to be such a restrictive cage for some, thank god I am neither!

Encre Noire is worn by many women too.

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    And here's the perfect fragrance for OP to wear to the manly man's club.
    Tom_of_Finland_100_ml_1200x630.jpg

Seriously though, masculinity/heterosexuality seems to be such a restrictive cage for some, thank god I am neither!
    There's a Finnish church here and its Christmas market featured some ToF items, which was pretty masculine. Not the perfume though, unfortunately.

I would recommend sampling Antaeus and Pour Monsieur. Both are great classics and the vintage formulations are even better.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

Send the Tom Ford and Creed garbage my way bruh!
    "Do not believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I'm getting American Beauty vibes here...
    "No one wants advice - only corroboration." - John Steinbeck

Incidentally, Chanel Sycomore has been the perfume most popular with literally grandmothers (and my own mother), and has a history as a fragrance for women. I think it's actually hilariously overpriced feminine trash juice but hey, you do you, sir or madam; I don't know that I personally could stand smelling like my grandmother in polite company.

I'm not sure what other "terrible recommendations" you're talking about, but you should check out Tom Ford Grey Vetiver if you want a really masculine vetiver scent. My cowboy uncle has a bottle of that one that he loves -- it smells great and literally came with a pair of new snakeskin cowboy boots and an antique revolver that had the sweat of John Wayne stained on the grip.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I don't know if there needs to be a subforum for hetero guys or I just need to learn what I consider manly better, but most of what is recommended to me on this
    OK, we get it. You’re a manly man who only wants to be surrounded by manly masculine man things. If we suggest a scent, it had better be woody. It has to be a rock solid, throbbing manly woody.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Basenotes Plus

Sycamore is not overly masculine. It is thoroughly unisex. Try some 80s frags, like:
    Quorum
    Kouros
    Drakar
    They read as pretty masculine to me.
    I smell.

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk
    Currently wearing: Casbah by Robert Piguet

TGIF

Basenotes Plus

disgustingly feminine”, huh? Wow. Not a remark I’d expect to hear from any female-loving hetero. OP must be dating a guy then, eh?

But props for that clever username.

I'm gonna be honest I came here for the comments.
    I was actually in the middle of typing something else but it's honestly not worth pointing out things that have already been said or will fall on deaf ears.
    Remember to adhere to the CoC and atleast try to develop a more accepting attitude. If not, you have a couple months tops here in all likelihood.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    OK, we get it. You’re a manly man who only wants to be surrounded by manly masculine man things. If we suggest a scent, it had better be woody. It has to be a rock solid, throbbing manly woody.
    LMAO hilarious......

Sound Scents

Hmm... Finding the recommended perfumes from others smelling “disgustingly feminine,” “old mannish,” “grandma feminine” and “juvenile.” You don’t leave many out of your web of offense...
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    7) Nombre Noir (Shiseido)
    8) Lucifer (Renaissance Fragrances) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Yes, Sycomore was originally marketed for women -- oh dear

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    If you could provide examples of the scents which you have found "Disgustingly Feminine", you may invite more interesting responses.
    Egoiste was mentioned in the other thread...

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    If you could provide examples of the scents which you have found "Disgustingly Feminine", you may invite more interesting responses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Egoiste was mentioned in the other thread...
    Why? Because of the rose?

Let's be very clear. Women being very cunning, plotted against men, stealing them their rose. It was one of the greatest injustices in history, thus depriving men of one of the most gorgeously smelling flower.
    The rose is 100% masculine. Jasmine and tuberose on the other hand are 100% feminine, because I don't like them.

All the notes I love are 100% masculine by default.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

So random person on the internet was not recommended the perfect fragrance from other random people on the internet? I find that very hard to believe.

But personally I would put many fragrances from Creed / Tom Ford far above Sycamore on the "manly scale". Sycamore is a nice scent however, so I am glad you found something you like. I hope I wasn't one of the people who miscalculated your olfactory manhood. I don't ever want to steer someone in the wrong direction.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Creed - Royal Oud
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Creed - Bois du Portugal
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I don't think sexual orientation has anything to do with perception of masculinity, especially given that Sycomore was originally composed in 1930 as a feminine perfume for founder Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel, and what you're smelling is a modern reformulation by Jacques Polge in 2008 (EdT)/2016 (EdP) that is marketed as unisex now.

Many women here on Basenotes use Sycomore, in case that affects your decision to continue liking it.
    Best me to it. When you start out a t post with we need a “hetero” area, I think the post may be a fail. As a hetero man I think I can distinguish what I like based on smelling it, especially since a large amount of fragrances these days are unisex. I’m not even sure what would go into the “Hetero Hall of Fame” if that was a section of the board I can see the threads in there now. “What would a Gladiator wear?” “Does your chest hair help with longevity?”
    "Desperation is a stinky cologne."
    --Super Troopers
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed