Code of Conduct

Default Dior fragrances since 2020 - weaker?

A month ago I picked up a mid-2020 bottle of Fahrenheit. although most reviews say it is a beast in terms of performance my experience was that it was barely a skin scent after an hour, so I returned it. Yesterday I picked up a bottle of Dior Homme (the new 2020 EDT version) as well as another bottle of Fahrenheit on sale at Walmart for $50. Both are 2020 production...and again both are barely skin scents after an hour or two.

Iíve seen a few other threads of similar issues over the past few weeks. Seems this may not be related to exclusively Fahrenheit 2020+ production. Is anyone noticing similar issues with recent production Dior fragrances?

Default Re: Dior fragrances since 2020 - weaker?

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillacs&cologne View Post
    Seems this may not be related to exclusively Fahrenheit 2020+ production. Is anyone noticing similar issues with recent production Dior fragrances?
    Unfortunately, I also have the impression that Dior has watered down some of the fragrances and changed the scent itself (it's not all about performance).

When Dior Homme Intense appeared in the new bottle design, SAs reported that a lot of customers who bought the fragrance were disappointed and wanted to return it.
    I've also heard from several people who have been wearing DHI for years that they are no longer so happy with the current version - even though the formula code has not been changed. But that has absolutely nothing to say at LVMH, since I already had different batches of various fragrances with the same formula code that smelled and performed quite differently - and I test them really carefully with several A/B blindtests to rule out that my nose plays tricks on me.

Dior Homme Parfum is also no longer the same as the original version in the 75 ml bottle (though also still the same formula code). But that shouldn't surprise anyone if you consider that on the one hand the 2020 bottles were all produced with thinner glass than the old ones to save production costs, but the amount of juice in the bottle has now been increased from 75 ml to 100 ml - so why should Dior Just give 1/3 to the customer for free? That doesn't make any sense.

I also talked to a Dior representative who should know and was told, that there were indeed "minor changes".

I can only encourage everyone to smell and compare with their own nose and not be misled by the formulation codes.

If 2020 Fahrenheit EdT is also watered down, then I suspect that maybe the Fahrenheit Parfum was watered down as well. It's good that I also have a few backup bottles from 2018.

I have already seen this coming and at the time I had recommended to buy them when there were really good batches of Dior Homme EdT, DHI, DHP; Fahrenheit EdT and Fahrenheit Parfum in late 2018 and 2019.

Depends very much on the respective scents and their flankers.
    But from a personal viewpoint alone, still perceived/perceiving the Intense, EDP, Parfum etc. versions of the Dior still strong, even in or post 2020.
    Currently wearing: Fate Man by Amouage

I had to hunt around locally but found a December 2019 bottle of Fahrenheit and September 2019 bottle of the new Dior Homme 2020. I’ll test them further over the next week and report back.

I had to hunt around locally but found a December 2019 bottle of Fahrenheit and September 2019 bottle of the new Dior Homme 2020. I’ll test them further over the next week and report back.
    A made in September 2019 bottle of Dior Homme 2020?
    I thought they started production a little bit later.

Please note, that Dior Homme 2020 is an entirely new fragrance and it has a good longevity and projection.

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    A made in September 2019 bottle of Dior Homme 2020?
    I thought they started production a little bit later.

Please note, that Dior Homme 2020 is an entirely new fragrance and it has a good longevity and projection.
    Correct - a Dior Homme 2020 bottle produced in September 2019. Batch code 9J04. See my photo below. I too was surprised to find this.

The prior bottle I had was a 2020 production. The longevity was poor, after 2hrs it was barely a skin scent. Itís too early to say but so far while testing this evening this bottle does seem to have better longevity. I tested the Fahrenheit this afternoon and it seemed to have better longevity as well.

I got the 2020 bottle of DHI and it smells the same as a 2018 bottle. No changes whatsoever.

2018 of Fahrenheit EDT is much stronger than 2019 bottle.

Their new privees are catered towards the Chinese market which prefers lighter scents, but you cannot just water down a preexisting fragrance formula. Same reason you can’t just make an existing fragrance stronger by increasing the amount of fragrance oil, the formula is specific to that level of concentration. What I’m saying is you can’t take say Leather Oud, and lets just for argument sake say it’s at a 18% concentration. You can’t make that concentration 13% (watering down) without changing Leather Oud to the point it’s not Leather Oud anymore.

Correct - a Dior Homme 2020 bottle produced in September 2019. Batch code 9J04. See my photo below. I too was surprised to find this.
    Thank you very much for posting this!

Then Dior even produced the old Dior Homme EDT and the new Dior Homme 2020 in parallel.
    I also have a 9K01 batch of the original Dior Homme that is a week younger.

Quote Originally Posted by e_s1950@yahoo.com View Post
    2018 of Fahrenheit EDT is much stronger than 2019 bottle.
    I have both, 2019 ones are reformulated and slightly different.
    But after a few months since the first spray my 2019 bottle performs very good, nothing to complain about.
    I do prefer the 2019 ones over the 2018 ones - but both are very nice.

2020 DHI vs 2018 DHI is no contest if you ask me - and I understand why people are already paying high prices for pre-2020 bottles of DHI.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Is anyone noticing similar issues with recent production Dior fragrances?
    I personally haven't noticed this phenomenon.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Honestly if they have watered down Dior Homme Parfum that’s probably a good thing .

I have just purchased Leather Oud and Dior Homme Original. Leather Oud certainly seems weaker than it used to be, but I am not an expert (had only sampled it previously). Again, might not be a bad thing in this case... I will report back re Dior Homme Original, as that one would be a shame if it has been watered down. From first appearance, there is nothing obviously different about the colour of the liquid.

I have DHI in the new packaging and the performance and scent seem fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
    Honestly if they have watered down Dior Homme Parfum that’s probably a good thing .
    Yes, the original 75 ml DHP is a monster - so you only need 2 sprays.
    But the scent itself is also great and that's the problem when people say something is watered down it usually is not only that the concentration of the oils has been lowered but the how it smells has changed too.

The brand as a whole has gone down hill , also Dior does heavily cater to the East Asian market where watery light scents are desired.

Good to know, if indeed true. My Fahrenheit EdT is from April 2019, if I remember correct, and I like it a lot. Certainly potent enough (mind you, I practically never face longevity issues; I can smell current Paco Rabanne pour Homme for 16 hours, for example). I like the 2019 Fahrenheit more than my vintage Fahrenheit, where the violet note is barely noticeable by now.
    My Most Worn by Decade
    90's: YSL Jazz
    00's: Clinique Happy for Men
    10's: Armani Code Sport
    20's: Aramis Havana, L'eau Bleue d'Issey, Fahrenheit

I have a new bottle of DHI my first-and I was expecting something stronger from an edp "intense".
    Dior told me I can exchange it if I'm not happy with it.
    I'm on the fence with this one. I will give it some more time. I'm just not getting much oomph from it.
    On the Dior website they give it a 3 out of 4 for intensity while the parfum gets 4 out of four.

Isn’t your skin a sponge?
    I donít understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Memoir Man by Amouage