Code of Conduct

Default Purchasing fragrances from abroad to be shipped to the UK post-Brexit

PLEASE READ: This thread is not meant as an opportunity to discuss politics or political issues, which remains outside the forum's code of conduct. Any violations will be promptly dealt with.

As it is widely known, the UK left the European Union and the subsequent Transition Period ended on 31st Dec 2020.

With the UK now a 3rd Party to the EU, various companies (including couriers) have changed their delivery charges and policies when exporting goods to the UK. As a result, consumers have been affected in multiple ways. Some examples can be found in this article.

With respect to fragrances, it would be of benefit to members - both current and future - if we create a list of non-UK stores that have either changed their:
    • delivery charges
    • return policies
    • VAT (tax) collection policies

and anything else you see as relevant.

For example, First in Fragrance of Germany no longer posts for free to the UK where the order value is over €150. Instead, UK orders are subject to an €89 delivery charge. According to the value of the order, this will additionally incur UK VAT at the point of delivery, plus any handling fees the courier charges for processing the tax charge.

If you aware of a change like this, either from personal experience or something you noticed on the stores website for example, we would encourage you to please post it here. We are not interested in a discussion on whether this is fair or not, we are simply crowd-sourcing information that will be easy to find for our members going forward.

Once again, we are only concerned about fragrances here and must keep political discussions out of this (or any) thread. Thanks for your time!

Default Re: Purchasing fragrances from abroad to be shipped to the UK post-Brexit

While browsing through the nose.fr site it shows that they now display prices to the UK without vat. They still ship free for orders over a certain value, but they won’t charge vat. That means your handler will charge the vat and a charge for dealing with it.

Most seem around the £12 mark on top of the 20% vat.

I guess if you are saving more than the handling fee then it is still worth it.
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

Default Re: Purchasing fragrances from abroad to be shipped to the UK post-Brexit

ParfumDreams (source of Knize Ten etc) : costs have risen
    https://www.parfumdreams.co.uk/Shipping-Costs
    Will winter never end ? Incense, fougeres, cold, leather. Selecting from :
    (FBs) Penhaligon's Elixir; CdG Avignon, Zagorsk; Etro Heliotrope, Gomma, Vetiver, Palais Jamais. Aramis Tuscany; Jacomo de Jacomo, Knize Ten. Decants/samples - Unum LAVS; Knize Sec; Rook Thurible; Heeley Cardinal, Eau Sacree; Odin 07 Tanoke. Rogue Fougere L'Aube; TF Beau de Jour; Houbigant Fougere Royale; Penhaligon's Sartorial; Knize Forest; Diptyque Eau de Minthe, Etro Patchouly; Hermes Equipage (vtg), Bel Ami

Thanks both - much obliged for your responses.

Keep them coming!

Basenotes Junkie

Just had an email from Avant Garde, Oliver & Co. as was.

"I'm very sorry to inform our UK based customers that from now on I cannot ship to the United Kingdom due to the recent Brexit situation which is affecting to he customs and goods exportation.

Sorry for the inconveniences caused by this situation.

Oliver Valverde"

As a repeat customer, I understand but am bloody annoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark.B View Post
    While browsing through the nose.fr site it shows that they now display prices to the UK without vat. They still ship free for orders over a certain value, but they won’t charge vat. That means your handler will charge the vat and a charge for dealing with it.

Most seem around the £12 mark on top of the 20% vat.

I guess if you are saving more than the handling fee then it is still worth it.
    I received an email from Nose Paris, regarding Brexit.

They state that they continue to deliver to the UK using the DPD courier (which I might add has been very reliable in the past).

For orders below £135, 20% VAT applies at checkout (as before) and an additional €5 surcharge "due to Brexit costs".

For any orders above £135, 20% VAT applies at checkout (as before), an additional €5 surcharge "due to Brexit costs" and a further €5 charge "for customs and clearance fees with DHL".

I hope this helps someone.