Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: If you could go back in time and smell the original formulation of ANY fragrance...

First generations of:

Serge Lutens
    Frederic Malle
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Tom Ford Private Blends
    Amouage

90's versions:

Chanel
    Dior
    Make It Happen!

Current Top 10 Of All Time
    1.Encens Mythique d’Orient
    2.L’Heure Perdue XI
    3.Le Monarque II/Sultanate Of Oman/Pierre de Velay No. 1/Black Cashmere/Pearl Moon/Semi Bespoke 21/Parfum Royale No.1
    4.Candy Aoud/(Dior) Vetiver/Santal Noir/Great Britain/Correspondence/Dasman/Symphonium/Al-Khatt/Nuit de Bekelite/Richwood
    5.Les Sables Roses/Mon Patchouly/1996/EL/Vision In A Dream Psychedelic/Argentium Halo De Lune/Torc/FDB Velvet Amber
    6.L’Heure Mysterieuse XII/Au Hasard/#laislablanca/ Luci Ed Ombre/Tabac Rose/Russian Tea/Oud & Ambre
    7.Opus VI/Prolixe/Jump Up & Kiss Me Hedonistic/Alseif
    8.Le Monarque III/V/MAAI/Malesia/Absolue Pour le Soir/Ganymede
    9.Fetish Parfum Pour Homme/Dhajala
    10.Cuir Intense

Default Re: If you could go back in time and smell the original formulation of ANY fragrance...

Guerlain Shalimar, Mitsouko, and Vol de Nuit.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Would love to smell the first version of Creed Selection Verte.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Basenotes Institution

Gucci Pour Homme

Chanel Sycomore

Basenotes Plus

Hmm,

If it's just one, then most likely I would echo many in here and say Fougere Royale. That is one magical gem as it is today with what Houbigant is selling.

Others I would be interested in are Penhaligon's, Acqua di Parma Colonia and how about Pinaud Clubman? Clubman even today is really nice on a bang-for-buck basis. Definitely Old Spice because so many liberties seem to have been taken with it over the decades (although Shulton seemed to have a standard going from the 50's to 80's that everyone remembers the most). So many people have tried to duplicate Old Spice with poor outcomes. So, it's obviously not a scent that one just dupes without common people sticking their noses up at it and saying "this isn't Old Spice".

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    Hmm,

If it's just one, then most likely I would echo many in here and say Fougere Royale. That is one magical gem as it is today with what Houbigant is selling.

Others I would be interested in are Penhaligon's, Acqua di Parma Colonia and how about Pinaud Clubman? Clubman even today is really nice on a bang-for-buck basis. Definitely Old Spice because so many liberties seem to have been taken with it over the decades (although Shulton seemed to have a standard going from the 50's to 80's that everyone remembers the most).
    Oh, yes, I'd love to smell the original Colonia.

Chanel's Cuir De Ruisse or Caron's Tabac Blond. Really curious about the early long discontinued Guerlain's from the 1800s as well.

If it's a case of owning the originals it would be a lot of 1980\90s stuff. Things I remember from when I cam of age, but where the reformulations aren't as good.

Basenotes Plus

Shiseido versions of Iris Silver Mist and Muscs Koublai Khan
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

vintage Dior Homme and Dior Homme Intense

I recently acquired a bottle of vintage Dior Homme that didn’t quite smell like I remembered from the old silver stem version

Never smelled vintage DHI

Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    The original Fougere Royale.
    Ooh that's a good one. That would top my list.

Here's a few more:

Shalimar
    Jicky
    Chanel No 5
    Kouros
    Coty Chypre
    Knize Ten
    Derby
    Bel Ami
    Old Spice
    Brut
    Formerly known as BeardedBarbershopFan - Still have a beard and still a barbershop fan

Jean Patou:

Patou pour Homme

Patou pour Homme Prive

It would also be cool to smell the fragrances, whatever they were, that adorned the tables of the Italian aristocracy in the mid 1800s.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Aramis Calligraphy Rose, Penhaligon's Esprit de Roi, PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Knize Ten
    Bel Ami
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Iris Silver Mist
    Will winter never end ? Incense, fougeres, cold, leather. Selecting from :
    (FBs) Penhaligon's Elixir; CdG Avignon, Zagorsk; Etro Heliotrope, Gomma, Vetiver, Palais Jamais. Aramis Tuscany; Jacomo de Jacomo, Knize Ten. Decants/samples - Unum LAVS; Knize Sec; Rook Thurible; Heeley Cardinal, Eau Sacree; Odin 07 Tanoke. Rogue Fougere L'Aube; TF Beau de Jour; Houbigant Fougere Royale; Penhaligon's Sartorial; Knize Forest; Diptyque Eau de Minthe, Etro Patchouly; Hermes Equipage (vtg), Bel Ami

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Even though It's a fragrance I owned I would love to go back to 1991 and take a long sniff of my first bottle of Fahrenheit.
    Favorites
    Fahrenheit/Fahrenheit Parfum - Dior
    Aventus/Bois du Portugal/Green Irish Tweed/Royal Oud - Creed
    Danger- Roja Dove
    Jubilation XXV - Amouage
    Baraonda/Pardon - Nasomatto
    Naxos - Xerjoff
    1962 - Floris
    Pegwell Bay - Haeckels
    Heritage (edt & edp) - Guerlain
    Beau de Jour - Tom Ford
    Currently wearing: Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    All of Roudnitska's creations:

Femme de Rochas
    Mouche de Rochas
    Moustache
    Diorama
    Eau d'Hermes (especially!)
    Eau Fraiche de Dior
    Diorissimo
    Eau Sauvage
    Diorella
    Dior-Dior
    Ocean Rain
    Parfum de Therese
    I would love to smell his formulas that never made it into production. I bet many of his unfinished and discarded works were phenomenal too. Great artists always have works in progress, scribbles, doodles, demos, the stuff that rolls around in the back of their mind, that somehow makes it to some stage of physicality that they never got around to finishing or were unhappy with.

There are three based purely on memory of the bottles because they are the only two where I kept bottles after they were fine just to smell them later.

1) Polo...from my old plastic splash bottles as a teen in the 80s

2) Lauder for Men 1991-1992 range. The drydown to this was intoxicating and I’d smell the sprayer. I got this from Lauder a few years back and did not recognize it

3) Cool Water 93-96. Wore this as a signature I’m my 20s. Most compliments and most confidence
    "Desperation is a stinky cologne."
    --Super Troopers
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Santos de Cartier

My dad wore Santos and I always thought it was amazing stuff, but I never wore it myself. Recently, I sampled the newest reformulation. The top notes were glorious, and the scent was pretty close to how I remember it, maybe even better. The dry down though was something else. As opposed to the opening wish has some greenness and comes across almost as a fougere, it dries down into an extremely dry oriental, with prominent nutmeg and cumin. It's okay at that point but not my style whatsoever. Most people though claim that this reformulation is pretty faithful to the original, losing only a bit of depth.

I'd like to sample the vintage stuff, just to see if the drydown is more tolerable, if not a different smell altogether. But if it's just as dry, and nutmeg and cumin heavy, just blended slightly better, then I could write off my memory of the scent as rose-tinted nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    vintage Dior Homme and Dior Homme Intense

I recently acquired a bottle of vintage Dior Homme that didn’t quite smell like I remembered from the old silver stem version

Never smelled vintage DHI
    I remember the days when these formulations were readily available. I appreciate them more now than I did back when I first tried them 10 years ago.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Fresh bottles of the fragrances that started me on this journey in the 80’s would be fascinating.
    Brut - Dad

Old Spice - Dad
    English Leather - First fragrance gifted to me
    Chaps - High School
    Stetson - High School
    Polo Green - High School
    Pierre Cardin Eau de Cologne - High School
    Antaeus - High School
    TSAR (green) - Start of career
    Eddie Bauer Adventurer - Start of career
    Beauty is in the nose of the beholder.

all
    Currently wearing: African Leather by Memo

Would be cool to smell original (non-aged) bottles of Dior Eau Sauvage and Guerlain Vetiver.

I feel fortunate to remember (fairly well) the smell of Polo and Cool Water when they first came out, but it would be neat to smell them again in true original formulation (from a fresh bottle). I still have small amounts of Aventus from some different batches through the first few years and enjoy breaking those out for a smell now and then. I wore a lot of Drakkar Noir back in it's original form and have fond memories of smelling my Grandfather's splash bottle of Old Spice when I was very young. Would be cool to smell those again exactly how they were back then.

Quote Originally Posted by ThVH View Post
    all
    Amen
    The finishing piece to my day’s attire is always a solid fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    Hmm,

Others I would be interested in are Penhaligon's, Acqua di Parma Colonia and how about Pinaud Clubman? Clubman even today is really nice on a bang-for-buck basis. Definitely Old Spice because so many liberties seem to have been taken with it over the decades (although Shulton seemed to have a standard going from the 50's to 80's that everyone remembers the most). So many people have tried to duplicate Old Spice with poor outcomes. So, it's obviously not a scent that one just dupes without common people sticking their noses up at it and saying "this isn't Old Spice".
    I'm enjoying a bottle of Old Spice I ordered from India on eBay which is said to be the same as the most recent formulation before P&G changed the formula to put it in plastic. I've got a plastic bottle of the aftershave and edc as well and they really smell shrill compared to the Indian version. I'm happy with this version as long as it is available but man would I love to smell a bottle from the 30s in its glory
    Formerly known as BeardedBarbershopFan - Still have a beard and still a barbershop fan

Polo and I miss my old Habit Rouge EDT from the 90's.
    Currently wearing: Lui by Mazzolari

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Amen
    I feel it would be the closest to the respective creative idea
    Currently wearing: African Leather by Memo

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    Polo and I miss my old Habit Rouge EDT from the 90's.
    Aren't you hunting them on ebay?
    I always stumble across a bottle.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    Chanel Sycomore
    Excellent choice, I started late in this hobby and never got a chance to smell this one even the EDT prior to discontinuation when they switched to EDP.
    The finishing piece to my day’s attire is always a solid fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

to bring back the memories...Dior Jules and Davidoff by Davidoff
    FREE AS THE WIND!

Aside from the E.Roudnitska sketchbook / works in progress it would have to be pristine first formulation Old Spice and Cool Water.

Going the Delorean route would have to go back to when fragrances were being made in Ancient Egypt and Cyprus and experience some resins and fumes from a different age.

Cool water for me

It was the first I knowingly purchased at 13