Code of Conduct

Default Colognes with no citrus & no woods???

Hello I was wondering if anyone knows are there are any colognes out there with NO citrus and NO woods???

Default Re: Colognes with no citrus & no woods???

Woods of some sort are quite ubiquitous in masculine perfumery, hard to think of a drydown that's not woody in some sort of way. Citrus-less is somewhat easier.

Off the top of my head, Caron pour un homme, lavender and vanilla. Not much citrus discernible up top, nor woods in the vanillic base.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Dior Homme Cologne - citrus + musk

Basenotes Plus

Aramis Tobacco Reserve
    Dior Homme
    Jacomo de Jacomo Original
    John Varvatos Vintage
    Jovan Sex Appeal
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Polo Blue
    Polo Supreme Leather
    Salvatore Ferragamo Uomo Signature
    Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque
    Tea For Two
    TF Tobacco Vanille
    Versace Dreamer

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Basenotes Plus

Molecule 02? Lol. Dior Lucky probably.

If this was a though exercise the above is my answer. That would usually leave animalic facets, spices, florals, and fruits. I feel like you may be able to find this more readily in the feminine section.
    I think a decent amount of fruity floral shelf clutter would fit in this nicely. If it is more in practice I will allow some semblance of woods or citrus if they are not readily discernable.

Kouros
    Cuir Intense
    Musc Noble
    L'air du desert Morocain
    Ganymede
    A*Men
    Bentley Infinite
    Kiehls original Musk
    Declaration
    Last edited by notspendingamillion; 23rd January 2021 at 08:03 AM.
    I smell.

Do you mean cologne in the traditional sense (a short lived refreshing fragrance), or as in a lower concentration fragrance (as opposed to EDT or parfum), or as a catchall term for men's fragrance?

In the traditional sense, no. By definition a cologne contains citrus to gives it's temporary zing.

In the second sense, an interesting one that comes to mind is Hermes Eau de Neroli Doré. Like a cologne, it doesn't last long and you can apply liberally, but it uses neroli with a touch of saffron to give a delicious golden creamy orange flower effect, no woods or citrus in sight! Other alternatives might be things like Heeley Sel Marine or Menthe Fresh, where aquatic or mint notes are used in place of citrus for refreshing effect.

In the third sense, there's a lot! Although it is true men's fragrances do tend to rely on these notes quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Woods of some sort are quite ubiquitous in masculine perfumery, hard to think of a drydown that's not woody in some sort of way. Citrus-less is somewhat easier.

Off the top of my head, Caron pour un homme, lavender and vanilla. Not much citrus discernible up top, nor woods in the vanillic base.
    That particular cologne has bergamot,lemon,cedar and oak,you mightve went to fragrantica which doesn't even list the notes I mentioned,I know this is gonna be a very hard task,I've developed fragrance allergies to some citruses,mainly lemon,lime and woods mainly cedar and oak(moss)smh,thanks anyway my man...My journey continues...

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by SCENTMASTER "OG" View Post
    Hello I was wondering if anyone knows are there are any colognes out there with NO citrus and NO woods???
    Don't really know, but let's find out, hmm....challenge accepted!
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

Great recommendations already, also adding Rochas Man, Endymion EDC by Penhaligon's and Jaipur Homme by Boucheron
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Highness Rose by Montale
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by SCENTMASTER "OG" View Post
    That particular cologne has bergamot,lemon,cedar and oak,you mightve went to fragrantica which doesn't even list the notes I mentioned,I know this is gonna be a very hard task,I've developed fragrance allergies to some citruses,mainly lemon,lime and woods mainly cedar and oak(moss)smh,thanks anyway my man...My journey continues...
    I thought you were asking due to preferences. If it's an allergy issue then that is an entirely different question. Look into companies that produce natural fragrances through the distillation of essential oils instead of chemical fixatives. One of the best I have tried is Juniper Ridge.

https://juniperridge.com/?gclid=CjwK...oCQOUQAvD_BwE#

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post

Declaration

Is full of birch wonderfulness!!!!

Basenotes Plus

Grand Soir
    "Do not believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post
    Is full of birch wonderfulness!!!!
    ...and has bitter orange in the top/mid notes. Great fragrance.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Aramis Calligraphy Rose, Penhaligon's Esprit de Roi, PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    Do you mean cologne in the traditional sense (a short lived refreshing fragrance), or as in a lower concentration fragrance (as opposed to EDT or parfum), or as a catchall term for men's fragrance?

In the traditional sense, no. By definition a cologne contains citrus to gives it's temporary zing.

In the second sense, an interesting one that comes to mind is Hermes Eau de Neroli Doré. Like a cologne, it doesn't last long and you can apply liberally, but it uses neroli with a touch of saffron to give a delicious golden creamy orange flower effect, no woods or citrus in sight! Other alternatives might be things like Heeley Sel Marine or Menthe Fresh, where aquatic or mint notes are used in place of citrus for refreshing effect.

In the third sense, there's a lot! Although it is true men's fragrances do tend to rely on these notes quite a bit.
    While it disappears quickly, Sel Marine has a definite whack of lemon in the opening. Definitely contains vetiver, which is arguably a woody note. Note list also gives driftwood, cedar. Menthe Fraiche uses bergamot and there’s definitely a woody base (notes list white cedar).

Id accept neroli as a white floral rather than citrus because it’s the flower rather than the fruit of a citrus. Where does one classify petitgrain? It’s the leaves and twigs of the bitter orange, but is greener and woodier than the oils from the rind.

If the OP has developed allergies to certain ingredients it gets tricky, because the notes aren’t a great reflection of the ingredients, and the listed ingredients are mainly those most likely to cause allergic reactions if I recall correctly. Oakmoss should be listed and some citruses, but I’m not sure about cedar. A listed note of cedar may actually be iso e super or some other synthetic rather than cedar, or there might be a mix of natural cedar and synthetic woody notes.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Fahrenheit Parfum might be worth testing.

Which fragrances are you still able to wear that don’t cause you an allergic reaction?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    ...and has bitter orange in the top/mid notes. Great fragrance.

Agreed!!!