Code of Conduct

Default Noob take on Tom Ford Black Orchid

Very very interesting fragrance. I don't know how to describe it... At some points I think Gourmand, others I find it somewhat outputting in a slightly feminine way, but then there's a maybe woody base that "man's it up" just enough to enjoy and wear. I guess I'm still on the fence with this one, not sure it's worth the price tag, which is probably why I should immediately determine that, for me, it's not, but there's a quality to it that I really like. Maybe a good bed time fragrance?

Today I wore it to work and 1 hour in am starting to regret it. I feel like this one is more of a date night kind of juice, not a work appropriate thing. Either way it definitely gives me reason to consider TF products in the future. After my severe disappointment with the highly touted Grey Vetiver I was thinking I'd steer clear in the future. Now I can't wait to try the Neroli sample I have ordered.

Default Re: Noob take on Tom Ford Black Orchid

One of my most regretted blind buys. Wife also asked me never to wear it again. I believe she said I smelled like her grandmother. She was right. I got rid of it shortly after.

I really wouldn't enjoy smelling it on a woman either to be honest.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Creed - Royal Oud
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Creed - Bois du Portugal
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Not my favorite to smell on a woman either.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Dependent

Personally found it quite feminine and didn't care for it.

Basenotes Plus

When I first tried this many years ago I was intrigued by it, but felt it leaned feminine & was unsure if I could pull it off.
    Wore it any way & fell in love with the scent & didn't care how it came across.

I've had the opposite reaction from women when I wore it, received many compliments, I've even had a past female boss of mine follow my scent trail just to find out who in her words "smelled so amazing"?
    Make It Happen!

Current Top 10 Of All Time
    1.Encens Mythique d’Orient
    2.L’Heure Perdue XI
    3.Le Monarque II/Sultanate Of Oman/Pierre de Velay No. 1/Black Cashmere/Pearl Moon/Semi Bespoke 21/Parfum Royale No.1
    4.Candy Aoud/(Dior) Vetiver/Santal Noir/Great Britain/Correspondence/Dasman/Symphonium/Al-Khatt/Nuit de Bekelite/Richwood
    5.Les Sables Roses/Mon Patchouly/1996/EL/Vision In A Dream Psychedelic/Argentium Halo De Lune/Torc/FDB Velvet Amber
    6.L’Heure Mysterieuse XII/Au Hasard/#laislablanca/ Luci Ed Ombre/Tabac Rose/Russian Tea/Oud & Ambre
    7.Opus VI/Prolixe/Jump Up & Kiss Me Hedonistic/Alseif
    8.Le Monarque III/V/MAAI/Malesia/Absolue Pour le Soir/Ganymede
    9.Fetish Parfum Pour Homme/Dhajala
    10.Cuir Intense

Quote Originally Posted by RawMia View Post
    When I first tried this many years ago I was intrigued by it, but felt it leaned feminine & was unsure if I could pull it off.
    Wore it any way & fell in love with the scent & didn't care how it came across.

I've had the opposite reaction from women when I wore it, received many compliments, I've even had a past female boss of mine follow my scent trail just to find out who in her words "smelled so amazing"?

Almost same here.

Although the compliments/positive feedback were (personally speaking) were not the main reason for enjoying this, somehow always perceived Black Orchid as quite unisex appropriate, at least to certain extents.

Especially in EDP or above concentrations, maybe less in the EDT version.
    Currently wearing: Brut by Fabergé

Basenotes Plus

One of my most complimented fragrances by the opposite sex. It never fails to get me a compliment when I wear it. One of my favorites from the regular TF line as well.
    Current Winter Favorites
    Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    Xerjoff Naxos
    MFK Oud Satin Mood Extrait
    Pure Distance M
    Nasomatto Black Afgano
    Dior Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'instant de Guerlain Extreme
    Clive Christian X Twist Tabac
    Xerjoff JTC More than Words
    Amouage Tribute Attar
    Tom Ford Black Orchid Parfum
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Almost same here.

Although the compliments/positive feedback were (personally speaking) were not the main reason for enjoying this, somehow always perceived Black Orchid as quite unisex appropriate, at least to certain extents.

Especially in EDP or above concentrations, maybe less in the EDT version.

The compliment factor was not the main reason for me as well, nor has it been for any fragrance, just stated it to show I've had a different experience than the others in the thread.
    Make It Happen!

Current Top 10 Of All Time
    1.Encens Mythique d’Orient
    2.L’Heure Perdue XI
    3.Le Monarque II/Sultanate Of Oman/Pierre de Velay No. 1/Black Cashmere/Pearl Moon/Semi Bespoke 21/Parfum Royale No.1
    4.Candy Aoud/(Dior) Vetiver/Santal Noir/Great Britain/Correspondence/Dasman/Symphonium/Al-Khatt/Nuit de Bekelite/Richwood
    5.Les Sables Roses/Mon Patchouly/1996/EL/Vision In A Dream Psychedelic/Argentium Halo De Lune/Torc/FDB Velvet Amber
    6.L’Heure Mysterieuse XII/Au Hasard/#laislablanca/ Luci Ed Ombre/Tabac Rose/Russian Tea/Oud & Ambre
    7.Opus VI/Prolixe/Jump Up & Kiss Me Hedonistic/Alseif
    8.Le Monarque III/V/MAAI/Malesia/Absolue Pour le Soir/Ganymede
    9.Fetish Parfum Pour Homme/Dhajala
    10.Cuir Intense

Blog Entries

It's nice if you wanna smell like a woman.

Two strikes on this one for me - smells very feminine and I just didn't like the smell. I keep testing it out when I walk by the TF counter, but cannot understand the love for it. But hey, scents are subjective so I get it.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Roja Parfums H The Exclusive Aoud
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Molinard Patchouli
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa
    Currently wearing: H24 by Hermès

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

This was a scrubber for me. Maybe the base is more attractive, but I couldn't put up with it that long.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley

It's one of my worst blind buys as well. Absolutely horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    One of my most regretted blind buys. Wife also asked me never to wear it again. I believe she said I smelled like her grandmother. She was right. I got rid of it shortly after.

My favorite scent and gets as many compliments From ladies as the rest of mine apart from the the designer ones nobody wants to admit getting the best reactions it’s also my favorite scent on a woman, but I think it takes a certain character to pull it off for both men and women.. if you don’t project a confident aura, the fragrance won’t have the same effect

One of my favourite fragrances, but it is definitely not work safe. It's an evening scent, and it is wonderful on both men and woman. Some people are just hung up on what is feminine and masculine. Forget all that and just enjoy the scent.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Factory View Post
    Today I wore it to work
    Black Orchid is not a work scent unless you work in a strip club or perhaps a boudoir boutique, but I'm guessing you recoiled at the word 'boudoir' (and probably also 'boutique' as they're not lumberjack-masculine vocabulary).

Black Orchid is a boisterous, playful, and even naughty, night-on-the-town type of scent. I think it's a masterpiece, but it doesn't suit me, so I rarely wear it (I have a few ml, which is plenty for how rarely I wear it).
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Royal Oud
    Endymion
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Aqua Celestia
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Amouage Silver Man
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Universalis
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer

I’ve gotten two samples of this now and I want to like it, but don’t. The notes seem promising, but to me it feels closer to Eau de Macy’s Counter than something from Tom Ford. It just has that nondescript sweet warm base that seems like the feminine equivalent of ambroxan in men’s frags.
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne

Basenotes Institution

Potent and more on the feminine side.

I'm not at all a fan of feminine scents, but the right woody base gives it that manly twinge that allowed me to like it. Once you get past the opening feminine top notes it's still quite feminine, but not too much so for me. It is rather juvenile in a way also, which usually I detest, but again, something about the mixture in this one kept me intrigued. I'm fairly certain I won't be buying a full bottle or even another sample of it, I'm just pleasantly surprised that I kind of like it and wouldn't consider this something I'd try to avoid, like so many other fragrances out there.

Basenotes Junkie

I don't find it really feminine
    and based on the number of men who wear it I think a lot of people agree with me

It's okay nothing amazing to my nose.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by ionone View Post
    I don't find it really feminine
    and based on the number of men who wear it I think a lot of people agree with me
    It's just individual taste based on individual sense of smell. There's no accounting for it, it's not a mathematical equation, and that's what's kind of cool about perfumery to me. You and I can smell the exact same fragrance and yet smell two or more completely different things in it, having polar opposite feelings about it. It's really quite cool and a conundrum to me, but not a problem to solve, nor an offense to take when someone else's senses aren't attracted to something I really like. I don't wear, say or do anything for anyone else. Everything I do, I do for me, and that's how I ensure self satisfaction and happiness.

It's kind of like when you see this pictures going around on Facebook or whatever, of the dress or shoe that is a certain color, but for some reason half the people who see it see a completely different color in them. I think it was a gold dress that some people saw as blue or something like that... Does that ring a bell? Anyway, I found the opening feminine and the middle and base very unisex. Either way, I determined it just wasn't quite masculine enough for me to truly enjoy so I gave it to my fiance and she loves it! And I'll love it on her! Win win situation right there!

Now I've given Grey Vetiver another shot and still there's this rubbery almost earthy undertone to it that just doesn't cut it for me. I like earthy tasting beers and wines, but not earthy smelling fragrances. It's the reason I've scraped many popular and highly recommended fragrances in the past, like Hermes. I can see why some might like it though, it's not your standard run of the mill kind of Vetiver scent, like the Encre Noire and guerlain, which almost all smell the same to me. It's more matured maybe? Just not what I'm looking for sadly.

It's quite nice, wore it a few times as an ex owned it, but also quite loud* and recognisable. The same ex also wore Angel.

*works very well if you ever have to deal with a smelly fridge.

I really liked Black Orchid. An acquaintance had it and wore it often. It was so powerful, exotic and, yeah, easily recognizable.
    But when I first wore it, it became very cloying and monotonous - the same and the same odor for hours.

The same thing happened to me with Tobacco Vanille.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron