Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Blue Beast

Basenotes Plus

Default The Blue Beast

I have owned a decant of Interlude Man for about a year. I keep revisiting it and cannot get past the oregano\smoke combo. I like other smokey fragrances, Hyde, City on Fire, Bois D'ascese. I think it's the combination of oregano that is really off-putting.

Now as far as longevity and projection go, it's in it's own class. Beast mode doesn't accurately describe the nuclear projection of this juice. I read something funny on Fragrantica where a person said something like "this fragrance really shows it's beauty about 45 days after the first spray. Just wait for it..".

There's no real point to this thread other than this is the first fragrance I really dislike and it's not for lack of trying.

Wondering what others think?

Anyone try the newer Black Iris flanker? I know the oregano is gone which could be a good thing (for me that is)...
    "Do not believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Default Re: The Blue Beast

Interlude is one that I don't wear often, but love it when I do decide to spray it on in the dead of winter. Sweet, spicy smoke. Haven't tried the newer flanker to compare.

The Original and flankers are all good! I here now and then some (like you op) get put off by a certain note, presumably oregano, but sooo many people that I’ve seen here and other places seem to really love and appreciate Interlude’s quality, smell, and uniqueness....just as I do! But of course, not for everyone.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Personally never took a liking to Interlude
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Yup, no idea what made them choose Oregano over 100,000,000,000,000,000 other notes. I prefer it in the drydown when the oregano finally starts to calm down and the opoponax/amber combo kicks in.

Interlude is one that I haven't tried, I'd be open to try at least once.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I love Interlude, but it's HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE. One spray is enough for an entire 24 hours.

I especially love the later stage, after a few hours when something deep in the base starts to smell like caramel.

My favorite time to wear Interlude is in the dead of winter, but it's surprisingly great in summer if humidity is really low. August in Florida? No way. August in Arizona? You bet!

I wouldn't be surprised if I'd enjoy the Black Iris flanker even more. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like it could be right up my alley.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Royal Oud
    Endymion
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Aqua Celestia
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Amouage Silver Man
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Universalis
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I had a decant. Never found it that Smokey. More of a dry herbal Amber along the lines of Ambre Sultan, supported with Oud and smoke.
    The dry amber, oregano and smoke is a pretty acrid combination and I can see how it might feel too much for some people.
    i like the oregano both in Interlude and Ambre Sultan. I find it less prominent in interlude and it settles down pretty quickly from my memory.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah1919 View Post
    The Original and flankers are all good! I here now and then some (like you op) get put off by a certain note, presumably oregano, but sooo many people that I’ve seen here and other places seem to really love and appreciate Interlude’s quality, smell, and uniqueness....just as I do! But of course, not for everyone.
    This x 100
    FREE AS THE WIND!

I enjoy interlude, and my nose doesn't really pick out the oregano note that well. That said, I don't wear it often, maybe just a few times each winter. I was going to suggest just what you said OP, and to try the black iris version. I believe it's supposed to be a bit smoother and missing the oregano note as well. I might give that a testing myself at some point.
    Current Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    MFK Baccarat Rouge 540
    Creed Royal Oud
    Armani Prive Myrrhe Imperiale
    Amouage Jubilation XXV
    MFK Grand Soir
    Roja Dove Elysium Cologne
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Creed Viking
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Currently wearing: XJ 1861 Naxos by Xerjoff

Try Black Iris. The biggest difference from the OG to my nose is the lack of a noticeable oregano note. It’s also beastly, but a bit more reasonable to wear. I like both, but now prefer the Black Iris flanker for its increased wearability.

I like it a lot, to me it's a good combination of spices, amber, and smoke. and I like the fact that it's powerful-now that perfumes, even niche, tend to be more subdued.

But powerful it is-and if one doesn't like it, I can see it would be impossible to wear.

cacio

Yes. The oregano was way overdone. Ruined what would otherwise have been a masterpiece. Overdoing one single offensive note has become common for them.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Creed - Royal Oud
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Creed - Bois du Portugal
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

It's a highly accurate recreation of shisha smoke. It's not really something you're meant to enjoy wearing yourself but no doubt is the kind 'oh wow' fragrance that will turn peoples' heads as you walk past them on the street.

I don't think it has anything to do with the oregano, personally. That's such a small component in the blend. It's almost certainly opoponax, which is a prominent note to create the main leather accord.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

The most recent bottle I purchased of this earlier this month, the oregano seemed less prominent. What surprised me the most was the bergamot was quite noticeable whereas it wasn't for me before in the previous bottle and samples.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

I like it, but it's not something I can handle very often.

Basenotes Institution

Great winter gem.

The oregano is really off-putting for me too. Even more than the kind of smoky it uses (an ashtray smell).
    But I can see its appeal for many, like in many other fragrances that aren’t just for me.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Kenzo Power by Kenzo

Love the oregano note, which my nose reads as green-herbal, not really specific oregano.

I think the more you wear Interlude the less you will notice the oregano as a separate note.
    Currently wearing: Myths Man by Amouage

Dependent

I actually liked Interlude the first time that I tried it. It's a very bold scent, and that oregano note is certainly powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcelello View Post
    Try Black Iris. The biggest difference from the OG to my nose is the lack of a noticeable oregano note. It’s also beastly, but a bit more reasonable to wear. I like both, but now prefer the Black Iris flanker for its increased wearability.
    I never cared for Interlude because of the orégano note; it really “popped” on my skin. This comment re: Black Iris from Jcelello is something to consider... He’s got a great nose and has one heck of a collection for reference.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

I'm also in the hate the oregano category. I wore it like four times and never could tolerate that note. It smelled way too foody to me in a way I did not like.

I'd guess it's one of those issues that some people are able to just easily disregard and appreciate the other notes. I could not. It's the only note that registered with me. Sold it last year.

I do notice it has been eliminated from the INTERLUDE flanker.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

All Is Beautiful

I adore Interlude. I use four sprays on clothes. Love the opening and the dry down.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    I adore Interlude. I use four sprays on clothes. Love the opening and the dry down.
    I'm surprised you're upright after 4 sprays...
    "Do not believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    I'm surprised you're upright after 4 sprays...
    I wore 4 sprays from a decant and found it to be strong but optimal for me.

Can I just say that sprayed on bedding and pillows it smells absolutely divine and you get nothing of the oregano note, for those worried about such things.
    Currently wearing: Myths Man by Amouage

Dependent

I love Interlude as well, and am also in the 4 spray camp. I don't get the "super insane beast nuclear" thing everybody else seems to get. Sure its strong, but its no stronger than Aventus, or Red Tobacco, or Tuscan Leather or any other booming performers. Its longevity, on the other hand.... well it lasts for weeks on clothes.

I also agree that it is wearable year round (except high heat, high humidity as someone said) and for me its very versatile. On top of that, its one of my wife's favorites on me. She never fails to comment on how good I smell - and comment on how "thats one of my favorites on you".

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    I love Interlude as well, and am also in the 4 spray camp. I don't get the "super insane beast nuclear" thing everybody else seems to get. Sure its strong, but its no stronger than Aventus, or Red Tobacco, or Tuscan Leather or any other booming performers. Its longevity, on the other hand.... well it lasts for weeks on clothes.

I also agree that it is wearable year round (except high heat, high humidity as someone said) and for me its very versatile. On top of that, its one of my wife's favorites on me. She never fails to comment on how good I smell - and comment on how "thats one of my favorites on you".
    Can recall using this fragrance for the first time years ago, just 1 small spray on top of my hand, from a 2ml vintage vial and the complete living room smelled like this fragrance for hrs, that strong it was.
    My Top '12':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco/Aoud Vanille
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - Initio: Side Effect
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - PdM: Layton

Quote Originally Posted by Jcelello View Post
    Agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Can recall using this fragrance for the first time years ago, just 1 small spray on top of my hand, from a 2ml vintage vial and the complete living room smelled like this fragrance for hrs, that strong it was.
    Haha! It really is a BEAST isn't it! I've a 10ml sample and I'm wishing I'd bought just 5ml as I'd have to wear it every day until I was 153 years old to use a whole 10ml...!