Code of Conduct

Default Roger and Galet, the Open saga

Not sure how many or if any of you are fans of the good old cheapie Roger and Galet Open, but I'm a huge one!

I recently discovered that there are actually a few versions of it. The original, White, Gold and Black. I've now got all 4 bottles and have sampled three. This is my take...

Open: An amazingly classic and simple, albeit synthetic overdose, fragrance. Basically all I smell is a sugary lemon with heavy tobacco undertone. I love it passionately, but nobody else does. Lol

Open White: I'm quickly coming to realize how much I detest the so called note "powdery". Most vile thing ever and I much loathe this fragrance. Powder equals feminine to me. Like a babies changing room. Zero respect from me and now I've got to dump it down my toilet or something.

Open Gold: Slightly feminine, Grandma like, version of the original, still the sugary citrus and maybe a woody/tobacco base, but with a floral undertone added that fems it down a bit. I don't hate it, but I definitely wouldn't buy it again.

Open Black: Just odd. Grandma vibe for sure, in a very off-putting way. R&G really should've left well enough alone with this fragrance and the original. I'm not sure what it is about this one that I dislike but I truly do, equally to the White version I'd say. Another dump it down the drain junker.

Default Re: Roger and Galet, the Open saga

Quote Originally Posted by Old Factory View Post
    Not sure how many or if any of you are fans of the good old cheapie Roger and Galet Open, but I'm a huge one!

I recently discovered that there are actually a few versions of it. The original, White, Gold and Black. I've now got all 4 bottles and have sampled three. This is my take...

Open: An amazingly classic and simple, albeit synthetic overdose, fragrance. Basically all I smell is a sugary lemon with heavy tobacco undertone. I love it passionately, but nobody else does. Lol

Open White: I'm quickly coming to realize how much I detest the so called note "powdery". Most vile thing ever and I much loathe this fragrance. Powder equals feminine to me. Like a babies changing room. Zero respect from me and now I've got to dump it down my toilet or something.

Open Gold: Slightly feminine, Grandma like, version of the original, still the sugary citrus and maybe a woody/tobacco base, but with a floral undertone added that fems it down a bit. I don't hate it, but I definitely wouldn't buy it again.

Open Black: Just odd. Grandma vibe for sure, in a very off-putting way. R&G really should've left well enough alone with this fragrance and the original. I'm not sure what it is about this one that I dislike but I truly do, equally to the White version I'd say. Another dump it down the drain junker.
    Your Open (original) must be reformulated........sugary lemon? My bottle smells to me mainly like a very dry tobacco based lavender-vetiver combo with small citrus hints the first minute of the opening and with soapy nuances throughout the fragrance.
    Open Black: wait for the drydown.......
    My Top '12':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco/Aoud Vanille
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - Initio: Side Effect
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - PdM: Layton

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Happen to own and like all of them, but prefer the original.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

...Open: An amazingly classic and simple, albeit synthetic overdose, fragrance. Basically all I smell is a sugary lemon with heavy tobacco undertone. I love it passionately, but nobody else does. Lol...
    Wrong! I love this too
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Open is fantastic, a drier brother of Aramis Havana, which I also love! I've had a hard time finding tobacco scents that I can love, as most are way too sweet. I don't find Open synthetic - or more precisely, "synthetic" doesn't bother me as long as the smell is good.

I also like Open Black, which to my surprise is closer to the regular Open than I expected. Interesting that the OP mentions "grandma vibe", which I can't say I detect at all. To me Black is just more patchouli-dominant and a little more soapy in comparison to the regular Open.

White and Gold I've not sampled and probably never will based on what I've read about them.
    My Most Worn by Decade
    90's: YSL Jazz
    00's: Clinique Happy for Men
    10's: Armani Code Sport
    20's: Aramis Havana, L'eau Bleue d'Issey, Fahrenheit

Basenotes Plus

Open Black: Just odd. Grandma vibe for sure, in a very off-putting way. R&G really should've left well enough alone with this fragrance and the original. I'm not sure what it is about this one that I dislike but I truly do, equally to the White version I'd say. Another dump it down the drain junker
    Nobody else??? You're just hanging out with the wrong people. I thoroughly enjoy my vintage Open bottle. Wouldn't say I love it, but I'm glad to have it.

Blog Entries

I find them all pretty good except for White, which is horrible. The original is best, followed by Black.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

Basenotes Plus

Actually wearing Open today

It is an excellent lavender / dry herbs / tobacco blend with some vetiver smoke on my skin. I don't get any sugary sweetness at all in the opening.

IMG_6734.jpg

I also own Open Black and agree with the previous comments that you need to be patient and let it breathe a bit. Another great old school soap / patchouli bomb, love it in cooler weather.

The fact that both can be had for around $20 each for 100ml makes them one of the best values on the market today.

IMG_5099.jpg

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Your Open (original) must be reformulated........sugary lemon? My bottle smells to me mainly like a very dry tobacco based lavender-vetiver combo with small citrus hints the first minute of the opening and with soapy nuances throughout the fragrance.
    I have to agree. The Open I smelled was one of the most dry, nearly brutal takes on woody/smoky tobacco that I've never smelled.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: H24 by Hermès

Having so far always found affordable purchasing (re) sources for the regular Open with little effort and occasionally also sighted the White and the Black flanker of this at equally inexpensive prices, while happy to wear and own the regular Open, still willing to test and experience more variations
    Currently wearing: Denim Musk by Denim

I definitely get a creamy, sweet lemon at the start of Open (the Amalfi lemon listed in the notes pyramid). It then transitions to a very woody, dry lavender fougere with an ashy, robust cigar tobacco note.