Code of Conduct
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Default Re: The NEW HERMES H24 Eau de Toilette

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Did you get iso-E super in it?
    I'm not sensitive to iso-E super and so I do not get it, at least not in great amounts.

I just walked the dog and even though it's a bit cold (probably in the upper 40s), I get good whiffs of it when I turn my head. I put a full wearing on about 1.5 hours ago. The whiffs I get is barbershop-y so probably some lavender? Either way, I'm enjoying it as a full wearing. The clary sage is quite prominent in the opening - herbal, green. Not sure if the lavender is coming from the clary sage 1.5 hours in.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    I'm not sensitive to iso-E super and so I do not get it, at least not in great amounts.

I just walked the dog and even though it's a bit cold (probably in the upper 40s), I get good whiffs of it when I turn my head. I put a full wearing on about 1.5 hours ago. The whiffs I get is barbershop-y so probably some lavender? Either way, I'm enjoying it as a full wearing. The clary sage is quite prominent in the opening - herbal, green. Not sure if the lavender is coming from the clary sage 1.5 hours in.
    I’m a bit sensitive to it, specially in high doses. Not as sensitive as to ambroxan though. If we had the chance to give full wears of all fragrances we try we would be bankrupted, wouldn’t we?
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Okay. the deep dry down is definitely similar to Eau Sauvage Parfum.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Sounds like H24 will be a pass for me then...

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    To me to, for the same reason. I'll test it on Saturday.
    Currently wearing: Agua Brava by Antonio Puig

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Yummy.
    Currently wearing: Météore by Louis Vuitton

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

deltasun's comparison is enough to convince me to do the opposite! I'm more excited than ever!
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    deltasun's comparison is enough to convince me to do the opposite! I'm more excited than ever!
    Lol, each to their own I guess. I can’t express in words how much I despise ofEau Sauvage Parfum.

Lol, each to their own I guess. I can’t express in words how much I despise ofEau Sauvage Parfum.
    The journey is quite different to get to that dry down. Do you despise Eau Sauvage Parfum's dry down as well?

But yeah, if that's the case then H24 may not be for you. Like I said, they do get there quite differently as I described almost real time. In the end it lasted about 6 to 7 hours on my skin. I did not pick it up when I woke up, though when I jumped in the shower the heat from the water somewhat activated it again and I got whiffs of it. Here's the caveat - I've been having some weird reactions to my neck area the past week, so I've not been wearing fragrances there, just my chest, torso, and arms.

Either way, it's not bad for an EDT. This would be one fragrance I wouldn't mind seeing a higher concentration flanker(s) in the future.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Do you despise Eau Sauvage Parfum's dry down as well?
    Yup. The dry down is the worst part to my nose. I don't mind the opening for a bit, but whatever goes on from mid to base, it is hard to get me to like that.

It's going to be near impossible trying H24 for the time being with England still firmly in lockdown and shops not due to open until 12th April (I think). But these written comparisons are really helpful.

I sampled this on paper last night and am giving it a full wear today.

Based on the comments so far, I was expecting it to be sweeter and softer. I find this to a very angular, assertive sort of green scent, but also polished as opposed to gritty. There is clary sage of course, and something that seems close to galbanum, but could be a like a green herb like basil, green lavender, and/or something like violet leaves. It is sort of a mysterious, abstract green; no specific note jumps out at me. I'm not overly familiar with narcissus as a standalone note, so maybe it's more obvious than I realize.

Not getting a stereotypical rosewood, though I can entertain the possibility that this is a very green, stemmy rendition of the note. No metal detected, thankfully.

The steamy effect of the sclarene is really the headline feature as it evolves.

First there is a sense of wet mineralism. Where Terre was flinty and dry in its angularity, this is more like wet river stones or something, with greenery. There is a moist "thickness", which I think is the "steam" that is being referenced. It's like heavy spring air. It's not sweet to me, but I get that people might associate this sensation with sweetness. This effect is almost overwhelming up close, but nice in the sillage. Deeper in the base, the "heavy/steamy air" effect intensifies and begins to soften and smooth out, now sitting against something that reminds me of clay and cut grass/hay. "Languid" is maybe a word I'd use for the effect.

Someone above associated the "feel" of H24 with Eau Sauvage, and I get that. Eau Sauvage also features a sense of wetness and steaminess to me, in that case thanks to the then-novel overdose of hedione. Here, a similar effect is created using the now-novel sclarene.

The sillage is very powerful and long-lasting. Last night I sprayed some on a strip in the kitchen, then went for a walk for over an hour with the strip. When I came back in the kitchen, I could tell it had been sprayed. That is amazing. I remember Sauvage being pegged as a lightweight when it was released, and now it's widely regarded as a modern powerhouse. Might see a similar thing play out with H24.

It's entirely unique in the designer market. Having spent some time with it, I would know immediately what I was smelling if I smelled it in the wild. The wet mineral steam thing in a focused green context just isn't something I've smelled before. The opening smells somewhat familiar, but I really cannot associate the base closely with anything in memory, except maybe Sartorial, but the overall impact is very different here. This could be a massive trendsetter if it sells.

I'd hesitate to call this a fougere, except maybe in the vaguest sense in the base...the warming/softening of the base could be coumarin, and there is likely lavender on top, but these are light. I'm not sure it falls into any traditional category, being based as heavily as it is around sclarene. Whether you like it or not may depend on whether you like the effect this stuff creates - it is singular and obvious to my nose. I think I do like it. I was hoping for approachable novelty, and am not disappointed.

OK, stopping now.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 3rd March 2021 at 07:47 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: R by Révillon

Are you sure it’s not Sauvage?
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Yup. The dry down is the worst part to my nose. I don't mind the opening for a bit, but whatever goes on from mid to base, it is hard to get me to like that.

It's going to be near impossible trying H24 for the time being with England still firmly in lockdown and shops not due to open until 12th April (I think). But these written comparisons are really helpful.
    Ah okay, wow, that's the part I like the most with Eau Sauvage Parfum. The strip of paper I sprayed this on yesterday is not as pronounced Eau Sauvage-wise as how it was projecting off my skin. But it's definitely there. By the way, that strip of paper is still quite moderate after almost 24 hours.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    It's entirely unique in the designer market.
    I was hoping for approachable novelty, and am not disappointed.
    These statements alone seal the deal for me. Must test it now.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    The wet mineral steam thing in a focused green context just isn't something I've smelled before. The opening smells somewhat familiar, but I really cannot associate the base closely with anything I've smelled, except maybe Sartorial, but the overall impact is very different here. This could be a massive trendsetter if it sells.
    This is my experience, too. The opening is pleasant, but not the "Wow!" punch of something like Terre d'Hermes, for example. But the longer H24 sits on my skin the more it opens up and breathes deeply - the green and floral aspects really come to the fore, along with a textural, synthetic quality that's uncanny and quite compelling. It feels like a futuristic, watercolor fougére with a velvety sage sheen. Legitimately unique - someone commented saying that Christine Nagel is one of the few house perfumers creating new accords, and I agree - but entirely wearable. It's a friendly scent, yet there is something slightly alien about it. I love how it smells as I sit here trying to parse it.

The bottle looks and feels nicer than in photos, but clearly the focus for this project wasn't its presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Sounds good to me still too, will eventually seek this one out.
    Current Top Favorites:

Ralph Lauren Polo
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017
    Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Costume National Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Caron Le 3ème Homme
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    These statements alone seal the deal for me. Must test it now.
    I think you'll find it interesting. Sartorial would make a good compare and contrast sniff as well, to see another way the steam effect has been used. That one is much more of a direct fougere.

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    This is my experience, too. The opening is pleasant, but not the "Wow!" punch of something like Terre d'Hermes, for example. But the longer H24 sits on my skin the more it opens up and breathes deeply - the green and floral aspects really come to the fore, along with a textural, synthetic quality that's uncanny and quite compelling. It feels like a futuristic, watercolor fougére with a velvety sage sheen. Legitimately unique - someone commented saying that Christine Nagel is one of the few house perfumers creating new accords, and I agree - but entirely wearable. It's a friendly scent, yet there is something slightly alien about it. I love how it smells as I sit here trying to parse it.
    Yes, I agree with this. Well stated. I didn't focus on the abstract quality of the steam/mineral thing, but that's definitely a component of it. It's soft, as in the texture of a stone sanded matte smooth. A novel and effective use of synthetics.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 4th March 2021 at 01:43 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: R by Révillon

Argh, my bottle's leaking a bit. It happened when I pulled the cap off and of course, when I sprayed it. I hate refillable bottles, but seems to be tight that way. It may just be the usual "new" bottle leakage. I'll be watching it though or it's going back for an exchange.

Starting to really enjoy this opening more and more. Got that green sweetness, but should dissipate as it goes into the mid and eventual dry down.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Argh, my bottle's leaking a bit. It happened when I pulled the cap off and of course, when I sprayed it. I hate refillable bottles, but seems to be tight that way. It may just be the usual "new" bottle leakage. I'll be watching it though or it's going back for an exchange.

Starting to really enjoy this opening more and more. Got that green sweetness, but should dissipate as it goes into the mid and eventual dry down.
    Hermès has this problem. I don’t get it. I already had 3 leaking bottles. Now my Voyage D’Hermès EDT is leaking and it seems to be coming from the sprayer.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

TBH green sounds good. Also relieved to hear that it isn’t really a fougere as that would’ve ruled it out for me.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Homme by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Hermès has this problem. I don’t get it. I already had 3 leaking bottles. Now my Voyage D’Hermès EDT is leaking and it seems to be coming from the sprayer.
    Yeah, and having a refillable bottle ain't helping. I'll be watching it for the next few days and hopefully it doesn't continue doing it.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

My bottle has been riding around on a FedEx truck for the past 3 days in my town. Hermes requires a signature, won't leave at a drop-off point, and with my work schedule and my wife's, we're never at home to accept delivery. And FedEx keeps attempting delivery at the same time every day. Hermes is supposed to change the delivery address to my work, but when FedEx sent me an email this morning, it still had my home address listed. I fear I'm toast. At this rate, it will get sent back to Hermes in about 5 more days. Maybe I'll get a refund from Hermes.

I'll never order from Hermes again. Should have stuck with Nordstrom. Lesson learned.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    My bottle has been riding around on a FedEx truck for the past 3 days in my town. Hermes requires a signature, won't leave at a drop-off point, and with my work schedule and my wife's, we're never at home to accept delivery. And FedEx keeps attempting delivery at the same time every day. Hermes is supposed to change the delivery address to my work, but when FedEx sent me an email this morning, it still had my home address listed. I fear I'm toast. At this rate, it will get sent back to Hermes in about 5 more days. Maybe I'll get a refund from Hermes.

I'll never order from Hermes again. Should have stuck with Nordstrom. Lesson learned.
    Oh no, that sucks. I absolutely DESPISE the bottle hanging on for another day and stuff on the truck. Especially with hot Texas weather. It annoys me to no end, lol.
    Like.. no, I do NOT want my bottle getting more and more ruined hanging in your humidor boxes for another 6+ hours in 90+ degree weather - just give me my damn package!
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Sorry, Chuck...that's annoying. They'll probably get it switched to your work address on the weekend and then you have to do that dance again. Hopefully, you get it soon anyway.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Oh no, that sucks. I absolutely DESPISE the bottle hanging on for another day and stuff on the truck. Especially with hot Texas weather. It annoys me to no end, lol.
    Like.. no, I do NOT want my bottle getting more and more ruined hanging in your humidor boxes for another 6+ hours in 90+ degree weather - just give me my damn package!
    Same here, hate the thought of any extra time in trucks.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    TBH green sounds good. Also relieved to hear that it isn’t really a fougere as that would’ve ruled it out for me.
    Same. I noticed that they already have travel-sized sprays, so I may spring for that (if I can find another 3 that I want).

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Same. I noticed that they already have travel-sized sprays, so I may spring for that (if I can find another 3 that I want).
    Do you have link?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found them on the French website.

coffret-4-nomades-a-composer--4NOMADEGIF-context-2-868-80.jpg

It seems they're not refillable, which is stupid. Talk about 'greenwashing', haha.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

I know the feeling Chuck, very annoying.

Would be best if you could somehow choose for evening delivery at Hermes.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Hoover View Post
    I know the feeling Chuck, very annoying.

Would be best if you could somehow choose for evening delivery at Hermes.
    Well, Hermes did actually change the shipping address to my work address. So my fingers are crossed...

Well, Hermes did actually change the shipping address to my work address. So my fingers are crossed...

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast