Code of Conduct
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Re: The NEW HERMES H24 Eau de Toilette

Quote Originally Posted by Arij View Post
    Opens like Acqua di Giò Profumo with its sage and woody rosewood (replacing AdG's patchouli),
    with the steamy sclarene behind oddly akin to the mysterious s-note (?) in Mugler Cologne,
    as the narcissus evens out the composition in the base with a smoft rounded floral musk,
    performance and materials are akin to most of La Collection Des Parfums Jardins.

If you like: Acqua di Giò Profumo, Mugler Cologne, Le Male Superman Eau Fraiche
    Thanks a lot!

Where did you try it? I'm asking since is under lockdown.
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

I got a sample from The Bay at Rideau Centre, Ottawa

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Thanks a lot!

Where did you try it? I'm asking since is under lockdown.
    Leave the GTA and find a bay, they should have samples. Very unfortunate, we're the only North American city still in a lockdown
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Buy try or pass?

Quote Originally Posted by mistersmellgood View Post
    Buy try or pass?
    Buy for me! Actually, bought.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Buy try or pass?
    Try. I bought it and have no regrets, but my track record thus far with Hermés has been spotless, so it was a fairly low-risk gamble. Others seem to have less luck with the brand.

I'm wearing it again today, and am finding the fougére accents more noticeable than in my first few wearings, although still quite pale. The drydown smells like Paco Rabanne Pour Homme just passed by me in a car.

I tested it today, on paper. To me, it's very similar to Terre d'Hermès. So I dropped the bottle and went out the store.
    Currently wearing: L'Homme by Roger & Gallet

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Buy try or pass?
    Bought.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Bought it blind and very happy with it. My son and I are wearing it today.

Worth having IMO. Wore it to work yesterday and felt great.
    Thank you God for guiding me the way you want to guide me.

I’d try it first, but then I’d try everything that costs more than a fancy hamburger first.

Aside from that, though, I think it is a “try” with a full wear because the base is quite distinctive and may not be for everyone. The top smells familiar...need to give it time to get the full story.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    Try. I bought it and have no regrets, but my track record thus far with Hermés has been spotless, so it was a fairly low-risk gamble. Others seem to have less luck with the brand.

I'm wearing it again today, and am finding the fougére accents more noticeable than in my first few wearings, although still quite pale. The drydown smells like Paco Rabanne Pour Homme just passed by me in a car.
    Paco hmm... so this is versatile?

You think it would be okay in a pair of shorts to a suit?

Been wearing it for a week now. I like it. Perfect daily wearer and works good in the work environment. Today after applying it, my 13-year old daughet stopped in front of me and in her own unfiltered way sakd «you smell like a pine tree and shaving foam» ��

Buy try or pass?
    Hard pass for me until it hits discounters and even then I am not sure
    Currently wearing: Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

I think H24 is a unique and outstanding scent. Green - virbrant - clean - woody - metallic. So different from anything else I've smelled. It reminds of of a soft Antaneus. It will be a star. I'm fine with the packaging ... it's all about the juice. On me it only lasted about 2 hours so I'm wondering when the EDP will come out!

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Rock72 View Post
    Been wearing it for a week now. I like it. Perfect daily wearer and works good in the work environment. Today after applying it, my 13-year old daughet stopped in front of me and in her own unfiltered way sakd «you smell like a pine tree and shaving foam» ��
    Whether she meant it as a compliment or not, this as much as anything makes me want to try it.

Paco hmm... so this is versatile?

You think it would be okay in a pair of shorts to a suit?
    Absolutely versatile - it's fresh enough for casual wear but smooth and elegant enough for something more formal. It doesn't feel like it's trying too hard in either direction.
    Last edited by subhuman85; 7th March 2021 at 09:42 AM.

This is pretty strong stuff on my skin. That kind of burnt, metallic "steam" note in the base is still faintly detectable on my forearms almost 24 hours later (3 sprays total; one on each arm and one on my chest).

First full wearing.

Oh boy, there’s a lot to unpack here and I’m in no way inclined to review this yet. I think I can talk about it, though.

To begin, I did one spray on my wrist early yesterday evening and I woke up with a fairly indicative memory of it in the morning as it was still present but faint. Already H24 is surprising me. This is an Eau de Toilette??? With this staying power? Well, I found out something interesting yesterday at the Hermès boutique at the fragrance counter: H24 will be released as a Parfum in 2022. Yes, they will completely skip over the eau de parfum . . . at least that is the word on the street in Hermèsville.

Narcissus, sage, and rosewood . . . yes, they are detectable and, to be honest, to a nose untrained to detect the new chemical compounds outside of my usual radar (ambroxan, ISO, calone, etc.) this does venture well beyond into a modern chemical structure outside my familiarity. It’s not a chemical mess, however. We’re way too early to say that and it wouldn’t be fair. Yet beyond the those 3 notes I can detect (however they are derived) Nagel and Hermès have succeeded in creating something new with the futuristic atmosphere it implies.

The subtle comparisons to other fragrances you might have already read about are just that, and nothing substantial enough to latch onto - H24 will succeed in assuming its own place, that I feel can be said. A “high-tech fougère” as per the campaign literature? Sure, why not? It does carry the green posturing of a fougère, and metallic note you’ve read about is but very slight, but all of this feels rather, um, ethereal . . . if that makes any sense? Yes, I’m one who usually shies away from calling something a “fougère” that is absent of lavender, but I’ll just go with it and listen to the words of the artist here in an effort to better understand it. Sometimes we shouldn’t judge too early and let the artist give us some direction before we come back to draw our own analysis.

I do want to note, however, that some might struggle with the idea that this is a masculine release. This is, of course, as every Hermès counter will remind you, their first masculine launch and destined pillar in 15 years. Is this “masculine” because marketing is telling us this is so? I really dunno. Because until my brain is aligned - I suppose - with the marketing and reviews telling me this I’d say this is unisex with an ever so slight slide into masculine. And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that! I suppose calling this “masculine” is par for the course in 2021. What I can say, however, is that this is not your older brother’s Terre d’Hermès in either feel or scope.

Something did occur to me, however, that might help us understand this as a masculine Hermès scent in 2021: While in the boutique yesterday I remembered that Christine Nagel said that she drew her inspiration for H24 by visiting her designer friend who works on the male line of Hermès ready-to-wear. Yes, you’ve probably already read that she was inspired not just by the surrounding textiles being used (a mix of modern, tech materials and the traditional cottons, silks, wools) but also by the smell of steam from the pressing that ensured their readiness for presentation, if not also further cutting/adjustments. I get that part. But leafing through the catalogue yesterday and seeing the new styles and expressions - of the cut of the clothes as much as the materials - it occurred to me that H24 was more apt than ever to be the suitable fragrance pairing. Additionally the male models were extremely skinny and slight, wearing impossibly contoured cheekbones, and just having a modern countenance about them. The clothing was loose, airy and playful. Hermès felt young and vivacious and not like the countryside bourgeoisie that might have featured 20 years ago. These young gentlemen do not give the vibe that they also have the matching Hermès saddle tucked away at their family homestead in Burgundy. That is to say, were you to look at a 2006-2008 Hermès menswear catalogue I think the style lines and expressions utilized would give a better nod to Terre d’Hermès. So in light of where Hermès is at now (a modern, vivacious urban sensibility for the modern young man) H24 does make sense, and thus further plays with (or adjusts?) our sense of the masculine in the 21st century.

H24 is original and unto its own. To me, it seems like something that could have snuck into the Hermès Jardin collection and nobody would have batted an eye. Perhaps. Hard to say. I guess it would stand out but I also believe it would have been marketed as unisex in the Jardin line if JCE authored it.

As for me? I’m intrigued. It’s already growing on me. My own fragrance compass, however, says this is a Spring-Summer scent to venture out in. Longevity it has but it’s still plays within a civilized, close proximity around the wearer. Mind you, I might require some other human beings around me to back up that statement better ... lol! The Parfum edition, of that comes to fruition in 2022, will surely address the Fall-Winter season. But it feels atmospheric and ethereal. A high-tech fougère? - I can abide by the artist’s words and general conveyance here. Sure. But H24 is undoubtedly going to be full-bottle worthy for many. This will certainly include the new, younger collectors who are having their first introduction to the house. Remember when you were first introduced to TdH or Hermès? . . . well, this is their moment. And there will also be those of us already accustomed to the house who, once they transition themselves through this rather considerable change in direction, will allow H24 to grow on them too.

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    Absolutely versatile - it's fresh enough for casual wear but smooth and elegant enough for something more formal.
    Agree.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabidsenses View Post
    First full wearing.

Oh boy, there’s a lot to unpack here and I’m in no way inclined to review this yet. I think I can talk about it, though.

To begin, I did one spray on my wrist early yesterday evening and I woke up with a fairly indicative memory of it in the morning as it was still present but faint. Already H24 is surprising me. This is an Eau de Toilette??? With this staying power? Well, I found out something interesting yesterday at the Hermès boutique at the fragrance counter: H24 will be released as a Parfum in 2022. Yes, they will completely skip over the eau de parfum . . . at least that is the word on the street in Hermèsville.

Narcissus, sage, and rosewood . . . yes, they are detectable and, to be honest, to a nose untrained to detect the new chemical compounds outside of my usual radar (ambroxan, ISO, calone, etc.) this does venture well beyond into a modern chemical structure outside my familiarity. It’s not a chemical mess, however. We’re way too early to say that and it wouldn’t be fair. Yet beyond the those 3 notes I can detect (however they are derived) Nagel and Hermès have succeeded in creating something new with the futuristic atmosphere it implies.

The subtle comparisons to other fragrances you might have already read about are just that, and nothing substantial enough to latch onto - H24 will succeed in assuming its own place, that I feel can be said. A “high-tech fougère” as per the campaign literature? Sure, why not? It does carry the green posturing of a fougère, and metallic note you’ve read about is but very slight, but all of this feels rather, um, ethereal . . . if that makes any sense? Yes, I’m one who usually shies away from calling something a “fougère” that is absent of lavender, but I’ll just go with it and listen to the words of the artist here in an effort to better understand it. Sometimes we shouldn’t judge too early and let the artist give us some direction before we come back to draw our own analysis.

I do want to note, however, that some might struggle with the idea that this is a masculine release. This is, of course, as every Hermès counter will remind you, their first masculine launch and destined pillar in 15 years. Is this “masculine” because marketing is telling us this is so? I really dunno. Because until my brain is aligned - I suppose - with the marketing and reviews telling me this I’d say this is unisex with an ever so slight slide into masculine. And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that! I suppose calling this “masculine” is par for the course in 2021. What I can say, however, is that this is not your older brother’s Terre d’Hermès in either feel or scope.

Something did occur to me, however, that might help us understand this as a masculine Hermès scent in 2021: While in the boutique yesterday I remembered that Christine Nagel said that she drew her inspiration for H24 by visiting her designer friend who works on the male line of Hermès ready-to-wear. Yes, you’ve probably already read that she was inspired not just by the surrounding textiles being used (a mix of modern, tech materials and the traditional cottons, silks, wools) but also by the smell of steam from the pressing that ensured their readiness for presentation, if not also further cutting/adjustments. I get that part. But leafing through the catalogue yesterday and seeing the new styles and expressions - of the cut of the clothes as much as the materials - it occurred to me that H24 was more apt than ever to be the suitable fragrance pairing. Additionally the male models were extremely skinny and slight, wearing impossibly contoured cheekbones, and just having a modern countenance about them. The clothing was loose, airy and playful. Hermès felt young and vivacious and not like the countryside bourgeoisie that might have featured 20 years ago. These young gentlemen do not give the vibe that they also have the matching Hermès saddle tucked away at their family homestead in Burgundy. That is to say, were you to look at a 2006-2008 Hermès menswear catalogue I think the style lines and expressions utilized would give a better nod to Terre d’Hermès. So in light of where Hermès is at now (a modern, vivacious urban sensibility for the modern young man) H24 does make sense, and thus further plays with (or adjusts?) our sense of the masculine in the 21st century.

H24 is original and unto its own. To me, it seems like something that could have snuck into the Hermès Jardin collection and nobody would have batted an eye. Perhaps. Hard to say. I guess it would stand out but I also believe it would have been marketed as unisex in the Jardin line if JCE authored it.

As for me? I’m intrigued. It’s already growing on me. My own fragrance compass, however, says this is a Spring-Summer scent to venture out in. Longevity it has but it’s still plays within a civilized, close proximity around the wearer. Mind you, I might require some other human beings around me to back up that statement better ... lol! The Parfum edition, of that comes to fruition in 2022, will surely address the Fall-Winter season. But it feels atmospheric and ethereal. A high-tech fougère? - I can abide by the artist’s words and general conveyance here. Sure. But H24 is undoubtedly going to be full-bottle worthy for many. This will certainly include the new, younger collectors who are having their first introduction to the house. Remember when you were first introduced to TdH or Hermès? . . . well, this is their moment. And there will also be those of us already accustomed to the house who, once they transition themselves through this rather considerable change in direction, will allow H24 to grow on them too.
    Nice write up! I agree with your assessment.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Tried, liked, and reviewed in the directory. I don't want to restate anything I've already written there, so I'll just say it's par for the course post-Ellena Hermès from Nagel. Does a bit of what Terre did, same transparency, but a bit more urbane and office-friendly. Bringing back green to the scene after a decade of blue from everyone else.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader
    Currently wearing: Tres Nuit by Armaf

Man, I just didn’t click with it. Just a watered down Viking/Beach Hut Man to me. It had a very short stay in my wardrobe. Just my honest opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Man, I just didn’t click with it. Just a watered down Viking/Beach Hut Man to me. It had a very short stay in my wardrobe. Just my honest opinion.
    Oh no! Overall I like it. I'm looking forward to wearing it more in the heat. I think it could be a great summertime office/casual fragrance. The notes given are all there, plus the juicy fruity note in the opening, a smooth grapefruit in the mid along with the narcissus, and lesser herbal/mineral notes in the mid and base. It seems like the rosewood allows the fragrance to retain a slight sweetness through the base that contrasts nicely with the sightly bitter metallic green feel. But since the overall feel is light and translucent, the base remains fresh and clean. One big thing is that the fragrance remains "cool" in coloration throughout. It never starts to feel warm. There aren't any spices. The juicy floral mid and mineral aspects remain cool. It's not mentholated, but there is a cool breeze underneath the entire fragrance. It never feels warm. That's why I look forward to wearing it more during the spring and summer. I'm also curious to see how the tart metallic green base holds up. It's very persistent on skin and I'm curious to see if it will reactivate and waft more when the heat and humidity are higher. Overall it seems moderate in the projection department, I can't tell how the sillage is really, longevity is good due to the persistent modern base, it feels cooling throughout, and it's translucent and futuristic while having discernable "natural" notes like the clary sage and narcissus.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

I went to the local Sephora last week and there were no Hermes in the store. I was disappointed. They use to carry their line, but maybe since the 'demic, they've trimmed things down. My local Nordstrom doesn't carry Hermes either.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Sorry to hear that!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I went to the local Sephora last week and there were no Hermes in the store. I was disappointed. They use to carry their line, but maybe since the 'demic, they've trimmed things down. My local Nordstrom doesn't carry Hermes either.
    I went to Sephora as well this weekend and mine still had TDH and even Voyage. I didn't see H24 yet though.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Yeah, sorry to hear. I'm sure it was easy to resell.

For me, I'm all in. Love the direction and looking forward to wearing it more come spring time. And, if rabidsenses' info is correct, I'm picking up the parfum version as well.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Sorry to hear that!
    Plenty of fish left in the sea! As Foo Fighters sing "...on, on, on to the next one..."

Plenty of fish left in the sea! As Foo Fighters sing "...on, on, on to the next one..."
    That's the spirit!

Wore it yesterday. Also didn't click for me either. I'll give it maybe another wearing or two for the final decision.
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast