Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Default Re: The NEW HERMES H24 Eau de Toilette

Quote Originally Posted by mistersmellgood View Post
    Is this more casual than TF BDJ?
    It's as casual as it gets. I wouldn't compare it to TF's, RGPH or APH and so on. It is a fougere alright. But it is light, gentle and transparent. It stays on clothes forever though. On the sweeter side in my book. Don't beat me with a stick, but it reminds me the drydown of DH2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sgSswUl49w

This is the first review of it from UK quite positive

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Hoover View Post
    An editor at Fragrantica said the following:

So she mentions calone and amberwood. I thought this scent didn't have any amberwood in it? It could be a personaly observation of course, but it's weird that even in a scent like this amberwood would be present, considering reviewers such as Persolaise said it was devoid of any amberwood accords.
    I sense, like many who reference aromachemicals, she's guessing. An 'aquatic' smell could be calone, or it could be cascalone, or it could be...etc

Same goes for amberwood.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by ihxb01 View Post
    Don't beat me with a stick, but it reminds me the drydown of DH2020.
    I'm not overly surprised by that.

Is theree any sort of citrus in it? Or 'fruit' within the sweet?

I don't get any citrus just the several green notes which I cannot dissect into officially stated clary sage and narcissus. Don't get any fruitiness of it ether. FYI

001_IMG_1109.jpg

Thank you.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

A lot of you guys buying this up......so I think I'm going to hold up and wait for one of you to part with yours out of disappointment.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    For you guys that have sampled this already, what other fragrances would you compare it to as far as the actual smell goes?
    None it is quite unique but vaguely Mugler cologne with its green and citrusy notes but here there is a note which smells like "iron pressed' clothes but it gives the scent profile a very clean, abstract, and futuristic feel.

Ok, I'm old enough to ask the gauche questions and not care. What about its strength, projection and endurance? I don't want a light and airy 5 minute fizz.
    Currently wearing: Invictus by Paco Rabanne

Just ordered this...

Quote Originally Posted by ihxb01 View Post
    It's as casual as it gets. I wouldn't compare it to TF's, RGPH or APH and so on. It is a fougere alright. But it is light, gentle and transparent. It stays on clothes forever though. On the sweeter side in my book. Don't beat me with a stick, but it reminds me the drydown of DH2020.
    Thanks we have it already here in the tropics I guess I should head to the department stores and test it soon

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Ok, I'm old enough to ask the gauche questions and not care. What about its strength, projection and endurance? I don't want a light and airy 5 minute fizz.
    I'll answer that Chuck when I get my bottle. I'm not a fan of the 5 minute fizz. I want full workday performance.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

On day 2, and it's growing on me. I agree with the comment that it's transparent. The sage stands out to me the most and it's lovely. It makes me think of French scents from the 2000s (pre-Bleu de Chanel and Sauvage). I want to say Declaration, but it's been a while since I've sampled it. No curry though, don't worry. It's fresh and classy, probably not going to be a hit with the younger folks.
    I wouldn't call it weak, but it's definitely not a monster. I did 6 sprays and it feels perfect, I'm not an over-sprayer. The real test for me is what happens later. With fougeres and barbershop scents, I find they go sour later in the day on me. We'll see.
    I'm still boggled by the bottle, the name, and the presentation in general. It's like the goal was to have it go unnoticed. It's nearly invisible on a counter. And no relation to what's inside IMO. And they have a lot of nice bottle designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    A lot of you guys buying this up......so I think I'm going to hold up and wait for one of you to part with yours out of disappointment.
    Many mediocre releases I’m holding off as well not that $100 is a huge blind buy but I want a solid freshie so waiting on the feedback for this one.
    Current Top Favorites:

Ralph Lauren Polo
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017
    Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Costume National Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Caron Le 3ème Homme
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I don't want a light and airy 5 minute fizz.
    You just described all Hermès colognes. They leave us with a feeling of “wanting more”.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Just ordered a bottle from Hermes. Surprised to see that it retails for less than Terre D'Hermes EDT. Maybe that's evidence that they are reaching out to a younger demographic.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    You just described all Hermès colognes. They leave us with a feeling of “wanting more”.
    I don't feel that way about Terre. I get good performance and longevity.

Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smellyD View Post

I got good performance from the first batch of Terre. Subsequent batches were weak on my skin.
    Currently wearing: Invictus by Paco Rabanne

Just picked up the last 100 ml bottle at my local Hermes boutique. Coincidentally, I checked with Nordstrom’s first and they had it in stock, but had agreed not to sell it until 3/1...

I’m blown away. I also think most guys that are into modern designers will not like this. Narcissus is a beautiful Ingredient, but very strong. Nagel says it was co-diluted with a “mystery ingredient”, and if I had to guess I would say something along the lines of grapefruit. Synthetics are apparent, but it also smells more natural than every other modern designer (clary sage might be giving that impression). Rosewood is also detectable.

All in all...Versatile, futuristic Fougere that’s especially perfect for spring. I imagine this will be a first intro to Narcissus for many. Can’t wait to hear everyone else’s thoughts!

**update: I wished the opening lasted longer. More synthetics come out in the dry down and it becomes more traditionally masculine while retaining a slightly dewy greenness. Someone mentioned the “steam clean” accord found in mugler cologne, and I can see that as it’s kind of soapy. Still fantastic overall, but I would re apply just because the Narcissus in the opening is so beautiful
    Last edited by DonBos; 25th February 2021 at 10:53 PM.

But Terre doesn’t belong to the Cologne lines of Hermès.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Heading to mall tomorrow to see if local Nordstrom has it. Anyone know if saks and neiman also carrying?
    Thank you God for guiding me the way you want to guide me.

Quote Originally Posted by DonBos View Post
    Just picked up the last 100 ml bottle at my local Hermes boutique. Coincidentally, I checked with Nordstrom’s first and they had it in stock, but had agreed not to sell it until 3/1...

I’m blown away. I also think most guys that are into modern designers will not like this. Narcissus is a beautiful Ingredient, but very strong. Nagel says it was co-diluted with a “mystery ingredient”, and if I had to guess I would say something along the lines of grapefruit. Synthetics are apparent, but it also smells more natural than every other modern designer (clary sage might be giving that impression). Rosewood is also detectable.

All in all...Versatile, futuristic Fougere that’s especially perfect for spring. I imagine this will be a first intro to Narcissus for many. Can’t wait to hear everyone else’s thoughts!

**update: I wished the opening lasted longer. More synthetics come out in the dry down and it becomes more traditionally masculine while retaining a slightly dewy greenness. Someone mentioned the “steam clean” accord found in mugler cologne, and I can see that as it’s kind of soapy. Still fantastic overall, but I would re apply just because the Narcissus in the opening is so beautiful
    Tried contacting my local Hermes as well, but I'm getting ignored like the busboy at Hooters. I wonder if they're getting slammed, so it'll probably have to be Nordstroms for me. Though I got the same info of not selling me a bottle till 3/1.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Dependent

What an ugly bottle. Wonder if the scent's any good.

Sillage Monster

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    What an ugly bottle. Wonder if the scent's any good.
    Your post made me curious so I searched for an image of the H24 bottle. You are right - it is very unattractive. I don't care for the lettering on the box either. Both bottle and box look coldly industrial.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    Your post made me curious so I searched for an image of the H24 bottle. You are right - it is very unattractive. I don't care for the lettering on the box either. Both bottle and box look coldly industrial.
    Strange, since Hermes usually does such a meticulous job on bottle design when they introduce a new scent -- Jour, Galop, Twilly, etc. I'd like to know what their thinking/intent was with this one.

For me the most important sentence of the article is: "In answer to a question I was able to put to Nagel myself about potential influences on*H24*(which, by the way, she calls a “high-tech fougere”)..."
    I think you left out the most important part of that quote from Persolaise's review:

In answer to a question I was able to put to Nagel myself about potential influences on H24 (which, by the way, she calls a “high-tech fougere”), she cited Germaine Cellier‘s Vent Vert for Balmain. And perhaps that’s the perfect scent on which to end these initial musings on what will probably turn out to be a heavily-discussed release. Cellier’s green masterpiece is now rightly seen as one of perfumery’s finest expressions of windswept naturalness, but we mustn’t forget that it was also considered quite shocking for the uncompromising way it conveyed its hyper-verdant vision.

The mentions of narcissus had pretty well put me off trying H24, but making a comparison to Vent Vert has revived my interest.

I tried it at Nordstrom today and also walked away with a sample vial. I was pretty set on buying it but I'm glad I sampled first because it is a "no" for me.

The opening is quite sharp almost nose stinging. It is vaguely herbal and green but in a very synthetic way, if you're thinking dewy crushed leaves in a meadow this is not it! I also get the sclarene right out of the gate. It really does smell like dry cleaning chemicals which is neat but not really pleasant. After about 30 minutes that metallic laundry chemical smell is just about all I get and the fragrance starts to get annoying, frustratingly one dimensional and synthetic smelling.

It reminds me a lot of something else I've smelled that I can't put my finger on, anybody know? It might be Nagel's Eau de Narcisse Bleu which also used narcissus and has a harsh synthetic vibe. It does also smell as dated as the packaging, it reminds me of 90s minimal unisex clean scents. It does lack the contemporary popular amberwoody notes but replaces it with something almost worse.

I generally don't have any problems with synthetics or industrial smells, I love CDG after all. But, my standards are pretty high and I rarely find any mainstream designer release that I like. I even find the much loved TDH a scrubber, too synthetic/designer-y smelling to me, so your mileage may vary.

Sillage Monster

Delete
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Man it is $162 for me for 100ml

Taxes suck

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    What an ugly bottle
    The 3.3 oz bottle is quite handy and nice actually. Here's a cute video about it: https://youtu.be/L3qu3JR1ogs
    I'm not sure about the slogan they use though, a new men's vibrations. I do prefer periodic motions.

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    The opening is quite sharp almost nose stinging. It is vaguely herbal and green but in a very synthetic way, if you're thinking dewy crushed leaves in a meadow this is not it! I also get the sclarene right out of the gate. It really does smell like dry cleaning chemicals which is neat but not really pleasant. After about 30 minutes that metallic laundry chemical smell is just about all I get and the fragrance starts to get annoying, frustratingly one dimensional and synthetic smelling.
    I get that from the newly opened bottle but it changed after 10-15 sprays. The ironing accord became three-dimensional, cannot find anything cheap or synthetic in it. I do not know whether is the sclarene since I never smelled it before.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast