Code of Conduct
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Default Re: The NEW HERMES H24 Eau de Toilette

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    But Terre doesn’t belong to the Cologne lines of Hermès.
    Im assuming he meant cologne as a generic term for men’s fragrance rather than Hermes’ cologne line.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Black by Bulgari

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    Both bottle and box look coldly industrial.
    I couldn’t have said it better. Exactly! Very disagreeable with the brand that is specially famous for its artisanal articles.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Im assuming he meant cologne as a generic term for men’s fragrance rather than Hermes’ cologne line.
    I got it. And that’s why I explained it.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Blog Entries

Received my bottle today. It’s a nice office fragrance, white florals, greens, pears, and lots of flint/mineralic notes. Not a wow, but certainly nice.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

For me it is a must have. I can compare it to a android. It has something from the past, some old style notes, male notes, classical vibe but also this is new edition of it. Very innovate and fresh. I will buy a full bottle soon.

It's on the way to me. I can't resist a new Hermes.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Best of luck that it works out.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Enjoy!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    What an ugly bottle. Wonder if the scent's any good.
    Really?!

I'm surprised to see criticism of the bottle and branding. I understand apathy perhaps, given how plain it is.

However I really like that Y2K type minimalism. Gucci Rush for Men, Armani Lui...there's something nice about the 'glass and concrete' style of architectural perfume bottle that was popular in the late 90s and early 00s.

The advert seems to attest to that being the inspiration as well.

Perhaps it's just an age thing, and a cultural resonance of when fragrance and fashion grips you, but I really like the clean, clear retro-futurism. It seems to me like this style of bottle only went out of fashion as the internet made visuals vastly more important. Lord knows that many people must buy fragrances with their eyes, based almost solely on the bottle! But that same bottle that stood out from the crowd online may well feel a bit...tacky when you get it home. I mean...Toy Boy for instance...haha.

I think ostentatious and bold bottles should be reserved for more oriental and bolder types of fragrances.

I don't think you or anyone else is 'wrong' for disliking the branding, just chiming up to say I like it - a lot. It manages to go for something classical enough, while evidently different without looking like a Chanel or Dior or YSL exclusive line bottle.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    I tried it at Nordstrom today and also walked away with a sample vial. I was pretty set on buying it but I'm glad I sampled first because it is a "no" for me.

The opening is quite sharp almost nose stinging. It is vaguely herbal and green but in a very synthetic way, if you're thinking dewy crushed leaves in a meadow this is not it! I also get the sclarene right out of the gate. It really does smell like dry cleaning chemicals which is neat but not really pleasant. After about 30 minutes that metallic laundry chemical smell is just about all I get and the fragrance starts to get annoying, frustratingly one dimensional and synthetic smelling.

It reminds me a lot of something else I've smelled that I can't put my finger on, anybody know? It might be Nagel's Eau de Narcisse Bleu which also used narcissus and has a harsh synthetic vibe. It does also smell as dated as the packaging, it reminds me of 90s minimal unisex clean scents. It does lack the contemporary popular amberwoody notes but replaces it with something almost worse.

I generally don't have any problems with synthetics or industrial smells, I love CDG after all. But, my standards are pretty high and I rarely find any mainstream designer release that I like. I even find the much loved TDH a scrubber, too synthetic/designer-y smelling to me, so your mileage may vary.
    Thanks for this.

I get the sense it is aiming to challenge the Dior Sauvages of this world, including the Prada type 'metallic' developments, while going their own way and still making something interesting and proficient in craftmanship etc that cannot be immediately copied/bettered so as to give the scent a chance of developing in to a commercial success.

Your description suggests that is what it is - something to be smelled by others rather than the wearer. It's not something to enjoy by dissection but rather it's in this new style of scent, something super synthetic like Dior Homme 2020 that is made for the overtones rather than the nuances.

I'm guessing, of course, but your criticism is good and useful. I really want to try it now haha. I like the idea of synthetic metallic notes, less so the narcissus, which I've found to be hit and miss.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Really?!

I'm surprised to see criticism of the bottle and branding. I understand apathy perhaps, given how plain it is.

However I really like that Y2K type minimalism. Gucci Rush for Men, Armani Lui...there's something nice about the 'glass and concrete' style of architectural perfume bottle that was popular in the late 90s and early 00s.
    I do prefer simple, elegant - and not ostentatious - bottles in general. The shape and branding of H24 just doesn't work for me, though. It reminds me, as has been said by others earlier in the thread, of a Montblanc-style branding. The "Y2K type minimalism" tries so hard to be modern when in fact it is seemingly just the opposite: dated. I guess my disdain for the styling of this bottle stems from the fact that it is the epitome of "mall fragrance department".

One look at it, and it has "modern man" written all over it. And I've never really been sure what that means, anyway.

Just now reading up on this one.

I’m not surprised at the skepticism for the reasons that have been discussed at length...but this sounds like a potential winner to me.

The steamy tailor shop fougere thing was done in Penhaligon’s Sartorial. Not sure how this will compare, but a take on the theme with bumped up aromatics and a distinctive floral sounds really appealing, and exactly like what I would hope a high end designer flagship would do. Broadly appealing but with a distinctive nuance.

I will sample. We shall see.

But yeah, that bottle ain’t Hermes.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Just now reading up on this one.

I’m not surprised at the skepticism for the reasons that have been discussed at length...but this sounds like a potential winner to me.

The steamy tailor shop fougere thing was done in Penhaligon’s Sartorial. Not sure how this will compare, but a take on the theme with bumped up aromatics and a distinctive floral sounds really appealing, and exactly like what I would hope a high end designer flagship would do. Broadly appealing but with a distinctive nuance.

I will sample. We shall see.

But yeah, that bottle ain’t Hermes.
    It’s more Kenneth Cole. Seriously ��

I don’t mind the bottle and feel it stands out amongst the current signature men’s line bottles. Hopefully the fragrance isn’t as simplistic as the bottle though that would be a letdown.
    Current Top Favorites:

Ralph Lauren Polo
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017
    Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Costume National Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Caron Le 3ème Homme
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP

It’s more Kenneth Cole. Seriously ��
    I mean, I don’t hate it, per se. There isn’t much to hate. It’s more that it seems so off brand.

I think the TdH bottle did a nice job of modern minimalism that feels more timeless and more Hermes.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Common Lackey

The advert seems to attest to that being the inspiration as well.
    A generic man in a generic manmade landscape. Not the most inspirational advert I've ever seen.

I just realized that this is another case of name recycling, like YSL did with "Y". Hermes already have a women's scent, 24 Faubourg, based on their address (24 rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré).

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    A generic man in a generic manmade landscape. Not the most inspirational advert I've ever seen.
    If a male model is generic then god help the rest of us...

The original pics were a bit puzzling. I think someone even said it was a mock up and not a real photo (and it was!). But now that I've seen a few more angles, it's growing on me quite a bit. I suspect it'll be even better in person.

Finally heard back from the boutique and they're blaming the delay on the weather across the country. They'll call me when it finally arrives.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa
    Currently wearing: Tempest by Al Kimiya

The bottle looks nicer from above looking down (which is how most people will view their bottles anyways) as opposed to directly eye level

The silver/chrome trim at the top is hidden when you look at it from eye level
    Currently wearing: Bergamote 22 by Le Labo

Let us know what you thought when you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Let us know what you thought when you get it.
    Sure will. Unvarnished truth!

Sure will. Unvarnished truth!
    LOL. That’s what we like. No fantasies from YouTube and the wonderland!

Ordered a bottle Thru Hermes website .
    Nordstrom by me didn’t have it on site.
    Thank you God for guiding me the way you want to guide me.

H24 came today. My first impression was it’s much sweeter than anyone is alluding to. There is a delicate fruitiness, mildly metallic, petricore, transparent herbal greenishness. It’s very rounded and smooth. The floral heart is outlined by the sweetness under a slightly metallic petricore haze.

I really like it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by c0rtland View Post
    H24 came today. My first impression was it’s much sweeter than anyone is alluding to. There is a delicate fruitiness, mildly metallic, petricore, transparent herbal greenishness. It’s very rounded and smooth. The floral heart is outlined by the sweetness under a slightly metallic petricore haze.

I really like it so far.
    I agree about the sweetness, I really started to notice after the 2nd wearing. I didn't find it cloying though.

And just to put in perspective, I pretty much despise designer scents from the past 15 or so years. I find this to be wayyyy better than the woody-amber "blue" scents, the bubblegum-tonka "club" scents, and cheap aquatics. I am a fan of Christine Nagel because it seems as if she's the only in-house perfumer who is actually creating new accords. I would definitely recommend for people to sample first, unless you're the type to blind-buy everything, in which case I'll just say "hope you enjoy it!"

If I ever get back to the office, I look forward to wearing this.
    Currently wearing: Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

Some more reviews and first impressions:

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    Both the SmellGreat and the GentsScents guys loved the smell.... not good news. Despite that, I will keep it on my to-test list.
    Currently wearing: Casbah by Robert Piguet

I’m excited to get my 100 ML bottle in 7 to 10 business days from Hermes!
    Thank you God for guiding me the way you want to guide me.

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post

Thanks for these. I don't get fragrance youtubers in my 'recommended' anymore but I wanted to see what some of them say about this.

Thanks for these. I don't get fragrance youtubers in my 'recommended' anymore but I wanted to see what some of them say about this.
    Ha! I relate. Watch one on YouTube, and you’re plastered with them for a month.

Getting curiouser and curiouser to sniff this. I like Nagel’s style.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast