Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Cool The NEW HERMES H24 Eau de Toilette

The fragrance has become available in stores so I started the new thread.
    First, the bottle seems very simple like something from mid 2000s from a Montblanc type of a brand. Hermes could do much better!

The advertising presents a guy in a megapolis. Also the theme from 2000s. No connection to sport cars!

The scent itself is surprising to me. This is not the thing I expected from Hermes and Nagel in 2021. A fruity fougere with a modern twist. The first comparison that comes to mind is Diptyque Eau de Minthe. The same combination of a typical fougere structure (imagine TF Beau de Jour) with synthetic woods and an overdose of ambroxan in the base. I get something friity (melony) in the dry down that makes the scent a bit sweeter than I prefer and a bit similar to Bleu de Chanel.

The fragrance is very powerful. I did 3 sprays and feel myself uncomfortable like everyone around me smells it. I face the same effect with Bleu de Chanel, maybe the fans of Bleu could love H24, who knows.

As a first verdict. H24 is better than most designer fragrances of nowadays. It doesn't smell of Invictus, Aventus, Sauvage. But I'm sure the Sauvage crowd will not understand it. Also it could become too chemical for those who wear Terre.

20210130_200740.jpg
    20210130_200737.jpg
    20210130_200615.jpg
    20210130_200609.jpg
    20210130_200540.jpg
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Re: The NEW HERMES H24 Eau de Toilette

Sounds interesting .......

I don't really dig the name, bottle, box or packaging.

But hey, who cares? It's all about the juice, right?

To quote a Basenoter, "is the the juice worth the squeeze"?

I’m interested looking forward to smelling this one!
    Current Top Favorites:

Ralph Lauren Polo
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017
    Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Costume National Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Caron Le 3ème Homme
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Yeah not a fan of the bottle at all but it's clearly visible they're trying to target a younger type of audience. TDH bottle looked more classical in my opinion.

Anyway thanks for your first impressions, I will definitely sample this one.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Sure buy for me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Interesting. I’m not sure if it’s a must try due to similarities in Beau de Jour or a no go because it sounds a little like a chemical mess.
    "Desperation is a stinky cologne."
    --Super Troopers
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I won’t lie, when the first rumours suggested it might be called Bolide d'Hermès I was almost sold on the name itself. Plus it seemed oh so Hermès to me, in a really good way. Didn’t they actually patent that name to boot?

H24 . . . I cannot decide whether this conjures up a Netflix lowbrow action series with overarching plot lines for the pandemic’s stay-at-home restless and socially impaired, or a reference to a 1990s aquatic frag for gym bros.

Feeling conflicted about that name. But I’ll still try it.

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    The same combination of a typical fougere structure (imagine TF Beau de Jour) with synthetic woods and an overdose of ambroxan in the base. I get something fruity (melony) in the dry down that makes the scent a bit sweeter than I prefer and a bit similar to Bleu de Chanel.
    Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Whither Hermes?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Indeed!
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Genny (original) by Genny

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    Indeed!
    DKNY-Men-2009-edt-100-ml.jpg

The bottle almost identical to that.

They're aiming for a "p.... dropper".

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Sure buy for me.
    Me too, brother.

Thanks for posting this. I'm not hopeful for the cashmeran/ambroxan notes, but definitely looking forward to sampling.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    DKNY-Men-2009-edt-100-ml.jpg

The bottle almost identical to that.
    Yuck! This DKNY is horrible.
    Looking forward trying the Hermès though. The brand has a large credit with me.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

I'm still perplexed this is a real product. It seems dead-on-arrival to me. Awful early 2000's design. Shame from Hermes.

Basenotes Plus

I'll still probably try it, but it's so so so very plain and boring to look at. I'm guessing this will be a flop for Hermes. It's not an eye catcher at all, lol
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Yuck! This DKNY is horrible.
    Looking forward trying the Hermès though. The brand has a large credit with me.
    Same. But then I remember TdH Eau Intense Vetiver. That was a huge let down for me. I was hyped to get a bottle, but after finishing my sample I realized it was a dud. It had some good moments in the beginning, but really just fell apart in the mid and base. And now I realize Christine Nagel did Eau Intense Vetiver...

I really hope H24 is good! I want to get on this hype train. I don't mind if it's "synthetic" or "modern" as long as it's well done. On the level of Dior Homme 2020. (To me DH 2020 is the pinnacle of "synthetic and modern but well done").

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

That is one ugly box and bottle. Shades of KC Reaction.

Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to try it myself.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

I love Hermes, but I don't really love any designer pillar fragrances (Terre included) so I'm hesitantly excited. Must say the bottle and box are terribly dated looking, I thought Hermes could do better. But the description of it from that FT article sounds like could be pretty good!

And Nagel has done great work so far by my book. Still, I would be more excited by a new Hermessence than a mainstream pillar men's frag.

Turns out my guess about the name was correct, from this article:
    "As one of the oldest and most storied luxury houses in Paris, Hermès manages to be at once current and timeless. In fact, the 24 in H24 references 24 Faubourg Saint-Honoré, the Paris address of the brand’s iconic flagship since 1889. “When I see the young contemporary men in their movement, there’s a fluidity and a contemporyness. The man is always anchored with pleasure in his story and his history.”

Just realized that article I linked above has lots of good info that hasn't been posted yet.

Apparently the packaging is sustainable so maybe some of its ugliness can be forgiven in the name of good intentions:
    "The brand credits its longevity and relevance to its ability to stay true to house codes while meeting the cultural moment. Part of that is a commitment to sustainability and reducing environmental harm while maintaining a great respect for the materials. These same considerations went into the creation and packaging of H24; the bottle is made from recycled glass and is refillable, and the packaging is also 100% recycled and recyclable. Even the amount of ink used throughout the packaging was considered so as to reduce pollution."

Also, according to the article it will be available (in the U.S. I presume) Feb 24 on Hermes.com.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Not a fan of fougere’s and nothing else about it sounds like it’s for me at all, so I probably don’t even need to sample this.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

I like the design, I like the concept, and the notes sound good as well.

There's a lot of melodrama in this thread. I don't understand it. It's almost as if you're taking it personally.

The business model for successful brands is, clearly, to create a mass pleasing mass seller and hope it sells well. The more creative releases - of which there are more than ever, however successful they may be - are appealing to different customers. The notion that a brand must make a scent that appeals to enthusiasts first seems silly. If Chanel do it, everyone else will follow if they value their future growth and viability. It's that simple.

As I said, I like the 2000s utilitarian style. The scent sounds interesting and something I'd like to try just for the sake of trying it.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    Just realized that article I linked above has lots of good info that hasn't been posted yet.

Apparently the packaging is sustainable so maybe some of its ugliness can be forgiven in the name of good intentions:
    "The brand credits its longevity and relevance to its ability to stay true to house codes while meeting the cultural moment. Part of that is a commitment to sustainability and reducing environmental harm while maintaining a great respect for the materials. These same considerations went into the creation and packaging of H24; the bottle is made from recycled glass and is refillable, and the packaging is also 100% recycled and recyclable. Even the amount of ink used throughout the packaging was considered so as to reduce pollution."

Also, according to the article it will be available (in the U.S. I presume) Feb 24 on Hermes.com.
    Clever marketing. Will go down well in northern Europe and America.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Clever marketing. Will go down well in northern Europe and America.
    But not in eastern Europe as we are still on a way to sustainability.

Thanks for sharing Anton, you always get first dibs on new releases.

I’ll sample this when I can but if the narcissus abs is dominant that might be a dealbreaker for me.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

As I thought, this sounds a bit like a continuation of the DH2020 trend: retro woodiness/greenness with contemporary synthetic freshness. It sounds marginally more interesting than DH2020 but not by much.

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    The notion that a brand must make a scent that appeals to enthusiasts first seems silly.
    We know. But we continue to hope for artistry from the legendary houses.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast