Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bottles....how much do they influence your decision to buy?

There are lots of gorgeous and classy bottles out there. Bottles that would really look great in anyone's display (if indeed you do display them).
    However, there are also some foul smelling juices in some of them, juices that, if used as smelling salts would revive Tutankhamen himself and have him running down the street shouting 'scrubber...scrubber...'

So, how much do you allow (or wish) the packaging, especially the bottle itself, to influence your decision to purchase?

Are you a collector in the true sense that you don't have to even like something providing it fits into the category of what you collect.
    Are you more about smelling good, therefore only buy what you like, regardless of packaging?

I personally do sometimes become 'influenced' on some level, by nice bottles but manage to restrain myself from buying a fragrance purely based on sexy bottles.
    I would never buy a juice I didn't like and didn't think I'd wear and enjoy, regardless of packaging but if I like it and it also has a nice bottle then that's a bonus, a win win for me!

What about you?

Do you collect bottles or fragrances?

Default Re: Bottles....how much do they influence your decision to buy?

I believe the only way to approach this objectively would be if you smelled a fragrance or fragrances without any reference to the brand, name, or bottling. In other words I think the bottle is quite important to the overall idea of the scent as is the name of the perfume, and unfortunately the brand it comes form. If Dior released Jicky as "Morning Joy", and relased it in the bottling Joy come in, then people would hate it.

IMHO the juice is far more important but I do appreciate a nice bottle, especially those with a big of heft, I think I enjoy the tactililty of nice bottles more than their appearances. You could sell me great fragrances in Listerine bottles and I'd be happy cough*Guerlain*cough

I love the Dunhill Icon series of bottles and some of them smell ok, nothing wrong but perhaps a bit generic (I can't remember which one I preferred and I'm not sure I've tried them all) but I just can't bring myself to buy them for the bottle alone.

Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

When I'm buying a bottle, the bottle design has zero influence, even if, in general, I really appreciate the aesthetics.
    It has influence, in some cases, when I choose what to test.

For example, I loved the bottle of Tiziana Terenzi - Porpora. That intense red high quality bottle stirs passions, especially when we talk about a rose fragrance - it fit perfectly.
    It was said to be similar to POAL. I already owned POAL. If it was a top quality perfume, even if a little bit redundant for me, I would have bought it.
    Unfortunately, they preferred to saturate it with fixatives to achieve top performances, in the detriment of the smell. It's unbearable for a few hours. But, indeed, the performances are extreme.
    I never cared about it since.

The same with The Merchant of Venice - Arabesque. Awesome bottle design, attractive name, but the smell doesn't excite me.
    BTW, I tested it first because of the bottle's design (and the tobacco note, and the name), even if other perfumes from the same line (Vinegia and Fenicia) seemed more suited to my taste.

I love Etro's bottles design, but they also deliver quality juice.

Well, of course, I chose the small bottle (50ml) of The Different Company - Bois d'Iris because it looks better than the bulky 100ml bottle. But that's because I had where to chose from. I liked the perfume first of all.

Montana Black Edition has a horrible looking bottle. But I love the juice.
    I wanted to change the bottle, but it's a 125 ml, so it's hard to find one.
    I threw away the cap. And that's it. Now it doesn't look so monstrous anymore.

I really appreciate a beautiful bottle, but the bottle design it's not a factor when deciding to buy perfumes.
    Last edited by Emanuel76; 8th February 2021 at 04:56 PM.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

I'm a sucker for clear glass and understated design – Chanel Les Exclusifs, Maison Christian Dior Perfumes, even Le Labo. Not a fan of Frederic Malle labels, but I like their new limited edition bottles. A lot of people dislike the Serge Lutens black bottles but I find them very appealing in an austere matter. Diptique has gorgeous illustrations on their bottles, the form is also nice.
    Currently wearing: Sartorial by Penhaligon's

Not really -- unless they have huge antlers protruding from the top

However, I have just noticed how awkward the 100ml Bond #9 bottles are to hold and spray. Their 50ml bottles are ok though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Not really -- unless they have huge antlers protruding from the top

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    However, I have just noticed how awkward the 100ml Bond #9 bottles are to hold and spray.
    The same problem with flat bottles - Must de Cartier pour Homme, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post

The same problem with flat bottles - Must de Cartier pour Homme, for example.
    Ha Ha -- exactly, yes.

Puck like bottles are a nightmare -- Bulgari Black, Linari and Vilhelm Parfumerie, etc.

Back in the dark days pre-internet and fragrance forums, bottles often caught my eye and played a part in influencing me.

But in the time since joining Basenotes and other forums, the bottle plays zero part in my decision.

I do not prominently display my frags per se, so attractive or cool bottles have no real value to me.

I do appreciate a nice bottle but it doesn't factor into any buying decisions at all. A lot of my favorites are in really minimally designed bottles.
    It's a bit of a generalization, but designer scents tend to put a lot more emphasis on bottle and packaging design.

LUBIN IDOLE and JOVOY PRIVATE LABEL are the only two bottles I have that I think are really amazing.
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    IMHO the juice is far more important but I do appreciate a nice bottle, especially those with a big of heft, I think I enjoy the tactililty of nice bottles more than their appearances.
    The JOVOY bottles are perfect for you. They could be used as a weapon.
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Basenotes Plus

Who are we kidding - heavily! Haha.
    It would be neat to smell stuff 'blindly', but that opportunity doesn't happen much. I suppose you can acquire a bunch of samples, and spray one on without looking at what it is. See what your mind thinks without a lot of preconceived notion.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: HiM by Hanae Mori

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    The JOVOY bottles are perfect for you. They could be used as a weapon.
    Yeah, you don't want to drop one of those on your foot
    Currently wearing: No. 88 by Czech & Speake

+1 for Emanuel76's vote for Etro bottles and their contents. They fit the hand nicely.

Likewise the Gucci Guilty range bottles, almost like a hip flask. Shame about the juice - GGA is the only one I own and love.

The Jacomo de Jacomo bottle irritates the hell out me - flip top lid that won't stay down, awkward sprayer, and bottle so opaque there seems no way to tell how much is left apart from by weight. However, the contents are one of my very favourites, so it gets a pass.

The tops of CdG bottles are often annoying to remove : Black, and the Incense Series for starters.
    Same issue with Boucheron Jaipur : annoying hard to remove cap, this combined with rather tacky bottle design.

It would seem that bottle appearance and design play little part in my enjoyment of fragrances. Though when bottle and contents align, it's even better.
    Summer is here : greens, vetiver, aromatics. Daily drivers : Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta pour Homme EdT; Guerlain Vetiver, Etro Palais Jamais. Aramis Tuscany; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; CDG Zagorsk; Caron Yatagan; Puig Quorum; Hermes Equipage Geranium.
    Sampling : Parfum d'Empire Eau de Gloire, Corsica Furiosa; Anatole Lebreton L'Eau de Merzhin; Chanel No19 Poudre; Knize Sec

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

The bad bottles can talk me out of considering them. Like Toy Boy and the other one that looks like a Windex bottle.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Quote Originally Posted by incense+heliotrope View Post
    +1 for Emanuel76's vote for Etro bottles and their contents. They fit the hand nicely.

Likewise the Gucci Guilty range bottles, almost like a hip flask. Shame about the juice - GGA is the only one I own and love.
    Not nearly as great as the Absolute, but Guilty Oud isn't bad. Overpriced but a decent one.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    So, how much do you allow (or wish) the packaging, especially the bottle itself, to influence your decision to purchase?
    The bottle has no influence as to whether I purchase a fragrance or not.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Agreat looking bottle would not influence me to buy it.but a tacky looking bottle would prevent me from buying.eg I've never even tried one million.

Basenotes Plus

Bvlgari's Aqva line of fragrances were okay, but the bottles left me with a big no thank you.
    BvlgariAqvaBottles.jpg

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    The bad bottles can talk me out of considering them. Like Toy Boy and the other one that looks like a Windex bottle.
    Hehe
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: HiM by Hanae Mori

Bottles are nice to look at but the fragrance is what matters to me I’m also the only one that sees the bottles.

Definitely collect fragrances, but a good bottle design is always a bonus.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Fragrance du Bois Sahraa Oud
    4. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Carner Fig Man

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Hehe
    Yeah...Green Irish Tweed from that bottle would be hard to love. Sheesh.
    Currently wearing: Beach Hut Man by Amouage

The bottle doesnt matter to me. Only the juice matters. If the bottle happens to be nice then thats fine, but paying for Swarovski crystal is not my thing. I'd rather just have the decant then.

Basenotes Plus

I do care about bottle design, but it's ultimately about what's inside.

Basenotes Plus

I made this mistake exactly 1 time back in 2010 when Bvlgari Man was released. I liked the juice, but really loved the heavy bottle. It had a good atomizer as well. I ended up using around 1/3 of it before selling it off.

1C018460-C299-4219-A121-BDFAE7CDA92D.jpg

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Hehe
    YUP! Hard to take, not matter what they put in those.

And I have to hand it to the Eau Sauvage bottles and their flankers. Their bottles are so appealing and call out to you even when you don't know what they smell like.

I don't think bottle appearance could ever sway my buying decision one way of the other, at least on a conscious level. That said, there may have been a rare case, where I've picked a 50ml vs. 100ml bottle (or vice versa) based on how it would look in my cabinet, in the slot that I've envisioned for it.
    Spray less, love more.

When I'm buying a bottle, the bottle design has zero influence
    If it was a top quality perfume, even if a little bit redundant for me, I would have bought it.
    So, it's actually not zero.

That's why I like this forum. I'm always learning new things.

So, it's actually not zero.

That's why I like this forum. I'm always learning new things.
    Yes, it's also a good place to have an argument with yourself

I buy a lot of things un-sniffed, particularly if they're from a house I'm familiar with. A lot of the Middle Eastern houses have some over-the-top presentations, but I always go on notes first and foremost. This below, happens to be one from Al Haramain that I've had very good success with regarding their attars.

The notes on this were quite enticing: Top notes are Cypriol Oil or Nagarmotha, Bergamot, Plum, Aldehydes and Mango; middle notes are Rose, Geranium, Saffron, Ylang-Ylang, Jasmine, Orris Root and Lily-of-the-Valley; base notes are Agarwood (Oud), Sandalwood, Cedar, Musk, Amber, Rose and Vanilla.

Unfortunately, the fruits come across a bit muted and the whole thing feels dark/woody. I don't get much florals and the orris sticks out. I love the bottle, I just wish the scent lived up to it - though I do confess, I haven't worn it a lot. The last few times, I've gotten more and more out of it. I need to give it another go, soon.

fullsizeoutput_119d.jpg
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast