Code of Conduct

Default Aventus to a noob

So it's nice. It's dynamic too, not so easily described as just one thing, which I really like and respect, but yeah, I just don't get the hype. There's no wow factor to it. It's not impressive. It's just nice. The price tag is not worthy for me. I'd say more like $30 for 3.34oz... department store equivalent.

Default Re: Aventus to a noob

It has changed a lot over the years, I spent a good amount of time with this one, the batch variations are very real and can make or break liking this one. Some believe the variations others don’t, even with sinus issues I could clearly make out the variations when everything aligns right in a batch this one is beautiful appreciate your take and feedback on it!
    Current Top Favorites:

Ralph Lauren Polo
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017
    Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Costume National Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Caron Le 3ème Homme
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Yeah, I guess the 'wow' factor has gone now. Probably because there are so many variations of it out there. It will always be special for me though.

All Creed price tags are crazy and unjustifiable, as are most niche.

it's the best 'sharp fruity' scent with a smidge of mainstream ambroxan-iso-e appeal. more niche in it's early days & still unsurpassed in the bubble it occupies, IMO.
    Currently wearing: Acqua Wood by Collistar

Quote Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
    it's the best 'sharp fruity' scent with a smidge of mainstream ambroxan-iso-e appeal. more niche in it's early days & still unsurpassed in the bubble it occupies, IMO.
    This is a good way to describe it. I was underwhelmed by Aventus at first (GIT too) but it remains my most versatile frag and an easy reach when going out (before you-know-what). Hype for just about anything can make our first impressions decidedly underwhelming. It really grew on me though, especially in hotter weather, and became my most worn for a spell. Now I'm a bit bored with it though it remains my dumb reach.
    "No one wants advice - only corroboration." - John Steinbeck
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

funny there hasn't been a follow-up scent which is just Aventus with a different fruity twist. maybe it's not that easy and wouldn't necessarily come from Creed who didn't perfume their biggest hits begin with. Aventus Cologne was just Aventus with the best bit (pineapple) taken out and a more mainstream sort of base. pathetic really.

the only scents i've smelled which come really close to Aventus with a twist-

Purple Label - near identical in structure, tart blackberry replaces the pineapple/apple, more of a soapy vibe
    Bleu Satin - Aventus with watermelon instead of pineapple. incredible smell but dismal performance
    Currently wearing: Acqua Wood by Collistar

It’s probably the most versatile fragrance I’ve ever owned. Although there are batch variations it’s balanced as a fragrance and it hits so many great chords. The interplay of notes is clever. Aventus does so many things well and nothing badly. Many have tried to replicate what made it special and have managed to do maybe one small part well but the rest is lacking. There’s a reason the original is so well received when people encounter it.

I can’t speak for what’s on shelves since Creed was bought by BR.

Basenotes Institution

Own and enjoy.

It would be helpful if you included the batch you had. I own 19S01 and 19U01. This week I received a new 15R11 bottle, and I was totally blown away. So much so that I rushed to the bank to deposit more money and buy two bottle the seller still had availbable. I laughing while I'm typing this.

Quote Originally Posted by coding101 View Post
    It would be helpful if you included the batch you had. I own 19S01 and 19U01. This week I received a new 15R11 bottle, and I was totally blown away. So much so that I rushed to the bank to deposit more money and buy two bottle the seller still had availbable. I laughing while I'm typing this.
    How much did u pay for those? Is that the strong pineapple citrus batch?

Quote Originally Posted by Ineedcreed View Post
    How much did u pay for those? Is that the strong pineapple citrus batch?
    I'm embarrassed to say but $1k each for the 15R11 "fruity". I also bought a 17Q11, and it's totally a pineapple MONSTER if that's what you're into.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Bought the original when it was first released and never have had any regrets.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Factory View Post
    So it's nice. It's dynamic too, not so easily described as just one thing, which I really like and respect, but yeah, I just don't get the hype. There's no wow factor to it. It's not impressive. It's just nice. The price tag is not worthy for me. I'd say more like $30 for 3.34oz... department store equivalent.
    That's interesting. I've gotten an Aventus store sample (on paper strip) several times and each time, I didn't get much of any scent from the paper strip. Definitely not any pineapple accord but actually almost no scent at all from the paper strip. Confusing. Almost all other scents I've ever tried on paper strips have invariably had a strong, distinct scent. I'm trying to learn more about the Aventus sensation (and it would be nice to actually smell the scent). Maybe I should buy a sample from one of the online sample sites. But if it's just like typical designer scents as you indicate, maybe I shouldn't waste any time trying to hunt down a sample.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie1Kenobi View Post
    That's interesting. I've gotten an Aventus store sample (on paper strip) several times and each time, I didn't get much of any scent from the paper strip. Definitely not any pineapple accord but actually almost no scent at all from the paper strip. Confusing. Almost all other scents I've ever tried on paper strips have invariably had a strong, distinct scent. I'm trying to learn more about the Aventus sensation (and it would be nice to actually smell the scent). Maybe I should buy a sample from one of the online sample sites. But if it's just like typical designer scents as you indicate, maybe I shouldn't waste any time trying to hunt down a sample.
    It’s changed a lot over the years most likely the reason it’s blah to you. 2018 and older would be a good place to start, I hear mixed feedback with the newest stuff 2019 is said to have a few excellent batches, recent ownership change and new restrictions have changed Aventus.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

There was another reformulation in late 2019 and it has turned it into a really weak scent that is not worth the money. I unfortunately have a late 2019 flacon and it is so disappointing coming from a 2014 batch. The basic DNA is the same but it is just really weak with poor longevity where it used to be so overpowering but in a good way.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Happening to like the batch/version owned, perhaps just enough into this one subjectively to even consider/accept its current pricing
    Currently wearing: Romeo Gigli by Romeo Gigli

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Old Factory View Post
    I'd say more like $30 for 3.34oz... department store equivalent.
    $30 for 3.34oz, yikes. A department store won't even sell something that cheap; I just checked Macy's website, and a similar size bottle of Acqua di Gio is selling for $91. $30?That's Wal-Mart tier stuff at that point.

I do agree that Creed's watering down of their fragrances has made it impossible to justify their Roja Dove-level prices. If I had the brand, I'd put it in indie hands and say "screw the IFRA compliance - make Aventus like it's 2011 again. And the others, too - Millesime Imperial needs its salt back, etc." Basically roll back the reformulations and revitalize what brought the brand up in the first place.

$30 seems like a pointless and troll-ish claim.

If nothing else, Creed quite clearly have access to materials that other brands do not.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford