Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question I got my first ingredients. How not to screw up?

Hi everyone!
    I don't know anything about how to create a perfume. But I and my girlfriend ordered ingredients for ourselves on February 14.
    Can you please tell me how to determine how many drops of each substance I can add? What are the basic values to start from? From "Injection to perfume concentrate: up to 20%" or something like that?
    Ingredient List:
    - many jars.
    - 50 pieces of disposable pipettes
    - Perfumers Alcohol 1000 ml
    - Fixative Base 3 in 1 KAE
    - Cannabis oil (CND)
    - Cashmeran IFF
    - Iso E Super IFF
    - Timbersilk IFF
    - Ambroxan 10% (DPG)
    - Trimofix IFF
    - Iris 0918
    - Violet Leaf Absolute 50%
    - Cedryl Acetate IFF
    - Intreleven Aldehyde IFF
    - Hedione
    - Ebanol Givaudan
    - Evernyl 10%
    - Leather 2424 base pfw

My girlfriend wants to try to repeat the Molecule / Eccentric 01, 02, 05
    I also added some more ingredients at random that I might like to mix something. I also added analogs of iso e super and ambroxan for the base.

How can I figure out the basic meaning of the drops that I could rely on?
    I understand correctly that I, for example, drip 1-20 drops of some ingredient, then dilute it with alcohol to 10 ml, stir it, and can I already use it? Like, it is desirable to "let it brew" or nonsense?
    And then, if you like it, keeping the proportions, can I repeat the same thing with 50-100 ml of alcohol?
    Thank you!
    P. S. Sorry that I am probably the hundredth person who asks this.

Default Re: I got my first ingredients. How not to screw up?

you must be from the future; in our time, February 14 is in 2 days ...
    'Today I'm a star. What will I be tomorrow? A black hole?'
    Woody Allen

Frankly, I see a pattern. Does anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post
    Frankly, I see a pattern. Does anyone else?
    Yup. Most forum software has a mechanism for disallowing starting new threads until a user has posted a threshold number of responses to existing threads. That imposes a substantial activation energy for the most obvious form of what is going on, although more sophisticated versions are still available to new users, of course. For what they almost certainly are, these recent ones are pretty good attempts, from an aesthetic standpoint.

Learning without screwing up is just kicking the can down the road, screw ups happen because learning happens and vice versa. There are no rules in perfumery except for regulations and restrictions of allergens/toxins. Also there is learning by inspiration and structure, but it's one side of a coin.

You should do a lot more research before you waste material. Many here will tell you don't even start mixing until you have a scale and perfumery is done by weight and not drops.

However, I'll bite on a possible formula based on what you have.

ISO E Super- 40
    Cedryl Acetate- 15
    Hedione- 7
    Ambroxan- 4 @10%
    Ebanol- 1
    Cashmeran- 1
    Evernyl- .5 @10%

I'm not sure which products your "Violet leaf absolute, and Iris" are.

LOL @ Godmu.

As for this being a troll - I'm no whizz when it comes to IT so forgive my naivety if I'm incorrect but surely the mods can check an IP address and suss out whether or not this is the same person from the other weird threads. Having written that, it could all be quite innocent and simply someone new to perfumery that hasn't done any research whatsoever. Which I do find a bit difficult to swallow.

Just slap 'em on ignore and everything will be cosy again, right...

Basenotes Junkie

I always take it seriously, I was that person not long ago. It’s gotten worse because of molecule 01, etc

PerAspera- 1st thing to know- we don’t recreate or have formulas from other perfumers creations. From time to time someone will do an exercise to reproduce something- usually a big deal perfume or something from youth, not to plagiarize, but to stretch the abilities. If you are set on those perfumes, buy those perfumes- most likely the creators have access to proprietary materials that we as the general public, cannot obtain. A molecule can have many versions and purities that smell different than what is available commercially. So between that , and any other materials they might have added , your chance of success is lower.
    Perfume is about smell, silliage( how it floats on the air), projection( how far out the aroma goes) and duration. Even if you get the perfume where it smells nice- that is t the hard part, it’s getting it act like a perfume, even a little bit. Adding materials can actually set the process back— and yes you have to let it cook, or macerate , and then add ethanol, and let it sit some more.
    You could try whatever you were going to try, and it will either inspire you to go further, or you will have no interest. If you are further inspired- we are just the place to learn more.

Basenotes Plus

Did you order from Parfclub?
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

I'm from the future, right, but no one should have known about it. Google Translate revealed me.
    You know too much. I have to find you and ..

Quote Originally Posted by Godmu View Post
    you must be from the future; in our time, February 14 is in 2 days ...
    I'm from the future, right, but no one should have known about it. Google Translate revealed me.

Quote Originally Posted by chyprefresh View Post
    Learning without screwing up is just kicking the can down the road
    I understand that I'm screwing up and ready for this, just wanted some tips to try and minimize this
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinrick View Post
    ISO E Super- 40
    Cedryl Acetate- 15
    Hedione- 7
    Ambroxan- 4 @10%
    Ebanol- 1
    Cashmeran- 1
    Evernyl- .5 @10%
    Thank you so much for your practical advice! I will definitely try to start with it, and then I will continue to experiment with it and start trying to make my fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by Jolieo View Post
    I always take it seriously, I was that person not long ago. It’s gotten worse because of molecule 01, etc

PerAspera- 1st thing to know- we don’t recreate or have formulas from other perfumers creations.
    I agree with you. Thanks for so much detailed explanation.
    Why Molecules, I just decided to take this as a starting point, because at first glance this fragrance looks the simplest of all. I already understood from another branch that my Ambroxan is not at all the Ambroxan that is in the molecule, perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Did you order from Parfclub?
    Right, site: "parfclub .shop". I hope the links are not prohibited, and who cares about the site in Russia. Or is it something like a franchise?
    Could there be any problem with this? I just didn't want to order from abroad, as it takes a long time, and my girlfriend and I wanted to be in time before February 14.

However, I'll bite on a possible formula based on what you have.
    Thank you so much for your practical advice! I will definitely start with this formula, and only then I will experiment with it and my other fragrances.

ISO E Super- 40
    Cedryl Acetate- 15
    Hedione- 7
    Ambroxan- 4 @10%
    Ebanol- 1
    Cashmeran- 1
    Evernyl- .5 @10%
    Did I understand correctly that this value is in drops? After I add everything, will I have to add, for example, 10 ml of perfume alcohol? Then stir it for a long time, shaking it? Then it is advisable to wait?
    VIOLET LEAF ABSOLUTE 50% (EGYPT) VIOLA ODORATA. Perfume concentrate addition: up to 0.5%.
    IRIS 0918 BASE from PFW. Perfume concentrate addition: up to 4%.
    This is all the data I have.

Quote Originally Posted by PerAsperaAdCreation View Post
    ... reward me for being observant?
    'Today I'm a star. What will I be tomorrow? A black hole?'
    Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Quay Limey View Post
    LOL @ Godmu.

As for this being a troll
    Unfortunately for the noses around me, I am not a troll.WZKYOQluplw.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Godmu View Post
    ... reward me for being observant?
    Strangle you with my newbie fragrances *Laughs villainously*

As long as you're sincere and not pushing an agenda out the gate, I won't assume anyone to be a troll. Welcome aboard, best to you.

's all good, PerAspera - I didn't really care if you were a troll account or not as there was nothing offensive about your request, simply naivety of how the process works, and that's just fine; you gotta start somewhere, right.

My two penneth - get blending and see how things interact with each other and accept that some materials will be lost to the experiment at a cost worth paying in the long run. Follow classics if that's your bag (it wasn't for me) but most of all enjoy it.

If you search the web you'll find many threads on the Molecule series and how to make them if that's one of those you wish to assemble. Here's a few for your perusal...

https://www.basenotes.net/threads/29...t-Iso-E-Super)

https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...nd-Molecule-04

https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...Molecules-No-2

Many thanks!

Basenotes Junkie

So if you put materials together-you do have to leave them for a bit- many , many, many threads here that discuss how long, but arbitrarily let’s say 5-7 days, probably fine with less- whatever.
    Adding ethanol can be done by rote: 20-33% perfume concentrate to ethanol, lower amounts for eau de toilette . https://perfumesociety.org/166302-2/
    But I think trial and error sampling to see which strength you want your concentration at gets better results.. then leave it awhile, again so many threads on how long- I just keep sampling till I am happy - usually a week to 3.
    Usually measuring is done by weight, drops will work in a pinch, but results vary widely, very hard to reproduce exactly . For you first attempts , following a formula is a good start, but easier to learn your materials inside and out , and create with your nose. Most dilute their materials 5-20% and learn their properties, smell them a lot, put them on blotters- and smell that a lot, put it on skin, etc.
    You want to see what it smells like, how far it goes, and how long it lasts. Then after doing that with a few, seeing combination ratios you like.
    It’s a long , drawn out, expensive process- but in the end very satisfying. Have fun!

I expect the OP is indeed having fun, as with other recent guaranteed-bait threads.

VPN?

Somewhat interestingly, back when AOL was "the world's largest anonymization service," a company I worked for had a serious problem from some AOL-anonymized postings, which falsely purported to be from an employee and utterly savaged the company. I happened to know an ex Army Intelligence Agency veteran and recommended he be contracted to track the source down. He did manage to do it despite the apparent anonymization. Of course, that was with a couple of thousand dollars worth of work, which a forum can hardly afford and the consequence of allowing such to continue is not as bad.

DFTT, is my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post
    I expect the OP is indeed having fun, as with other recent guaranteed-bait threads.

VPN?

Somewhat interestingly, back when AOL was "the world's largest anonymization service," a company I worked for had a serious problem from some AOL-anonymized postings, which falsely purported to be from an employee and utterly savaged the company. I happened to know an ex Army Intelligence Agency veteran and recommended he be contracted to track the source down. He did manage to do it despite the apparent anonymization. Of course, that was with a couple of thousand dollars worth of work, which a forum can hardly afford and the consequence of allowing such to continue is not as bad.

DFTT, is my advice.
    Again, I must be incredibly gullible because I don’t see anything wrong with this thread. The others to which I think you’re referring - maybe - but who are we to judge such things without proof.

If you continue to hound every other newb because you think they’re trolling then maybe share with the rest of us why or how you’ve arrived at that conclusion. Putting off new members in such a fashion will simply result in what is basically happening right now - a few loud voices on a section of a forum dangerously close to imploding through a lack of fresh input. Nothing stays static, it’s the way things are. If you have an issue just report it through the appropriate channels - that’s what the report button is for. I personally find this kind of input from, usually, longstanding members rather tedious and totally unnecessary given the option to simply ignore anyone with whom you don’t wish to engage. Why not put it to use rather than cause unnecessary waves or contention.

I don't care to give attention to such and advise against it. My only reason for posting was that advice. I am not going to advise such account creators as to why they are fairly obvious. I am not the only one able to diagnose the very high likelihood. Your not spotting the multiple signs does not mean they do not exist.

As you find such as my above post tedious and you tout the Ignore button as for what others should do re any complaints they have, this not being the first time and you're not wrong there, kindly do take your own suggestion.

As you (falsely) attribute to me "hounding" which is a negative personality trait and characterization, and I don't tolerate posters who attribute bad personal traits, motives, or personal behavior to anyone let alone falsely, IMO you violate the CoC again. No further replies from me to you, or this IMO content-is-trolling and thanks to you, a smash-success-at-that thread.
    Last edited by Bill Roberts; 13th February 2021 at 08:06 PM.

Okay, maybe hounding was a stretch, but you've made two comments on a thread that have no relevance to the query. Call it what you like, it's unnecessary.

But, isn't it also stated that your posts should be relevant to the thread and to ask yourself if they bring anything to the discussion? Did you do that prior to posting? If so, what do your entires bring to the thread that you feel is so absolutely necessary? If you have doubts about the authenticity of the OP then simply play elsewhere.

As for ignoring you - not a chance. I'll call out this kind of nonsense wherever I see it.

It doesn't have to be nasty, Bill. You just have to step back every once in a while and analyse your own behaviour. That's not to say it's good or bad before you infer something not intended, just that everyone needs to check themselves every now and then and you spend an awful lot of time on this forum. Maybe take a break for a bit and see how you feel. Come back refreshed and all that stuff.

Don't read malice into my words - there is none. I've been around the block a few times and seen this kind of attitude on forums every time someone new turns up. It's just nonsense and pointless and doesn't appear inviting to anyone looking on in silence, does it.

Molecule 01 like fragrance, courtesy of Jeroen Sparla:

Ingredient EO/PO/AC % diluted milligrams
    ISO E Super AC 100% 950
    Timbersilk AC 100% 295
    Pink pepper EO 5% 90
    Hedione HC AC 100% 150
    Amboryl acetate AC 20% 20
    Ambroxan AC 10% 95
    Tonalid AC 20% 145
    Iris OA or AC 10% 30
    Bacdanol AC 5% 75
    Lemonile AC 10% 25
    Aldehyde supra AC 1% 35
    Aurelione AC 10% 40
    Alcohol 15.000
    (ca. 18 ml

Anyway, back on topic. Here's a link, PerAspera, to help you further understand Escentric04...

https://m.facebook.com/ScentChemistr...375399/?type=3