Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Banned

Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

Well..sometimes I occasionally post something because it suddenly reminded me of a Pokemon!
    Those are probably my most important and memorable posts! Everyone make a note of that!

No, really though..

Recently I just started posting in some of those "scent of the day threads" because i just randomly felt like trying some more samples and writing up some brief reviews.
    I've been shut in way too long due to COVID 19 related lockdowns and I think I was just bored!

Iím not old, Iím vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    …to avoid having pertinent pictures disappear, as I’ve seen in older posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post
    Nobody cares about the posts from these threads after a while.
    Well, obviously I cared, hence my concern.
    The only images that would be nice not to disappear are those of vintage perfumes.
    Which are usually what I’m posting or looking at.
    That doesn't make any sense. Why would you care what X wore on a certain date, six month ago?!

If you want certain relevant information, search on the relevant threads, not on the SOTD type of threads.
    Again: Obviously, I cared, hence my concern. Since I did, and do, your statement that "nobody cares" is incorrect.

If I want relevant information, I will search for it wherever it might be, not just where you think it should be. So far as I'm concerned, the Vintage SOTD threads are relevant to all vintage fragrances that are, or might be, mentioned therein. I have found information of interest to me in all sorts of threads, and on occasion been frustrated by illustrations of that information using pictures that are no longer online—including old SOTD threads. The context for my original statement about posting my pictures so as to have BN host them was with regard to images I employ in discussion of a fragrance or company. I don't start a new thread for every vintage fragrance I post about: if it's my SOTD, then I'll post any information I deem pertinent, including images, in the relevant SOTD thread. You can, of course, post nothing but the name and photo of whatever you're wearing, but no one is constrained to doing only that in order to comply with the purpose of the thread.

While my primary interest is in photos of, and related to, vintage fragrances, anyone might be legitimately interested in any other photos, in any thread, of any age. Their interest does not require your approval, nor does it require your understanding for it to make sense.
    Currently wearing: Diorling by Christian Dior

Again: Obviously, I cared, hence my concern. Since I did, and do, your statement that "nobody cares" is incorrect.
    If I want relevant information, I will search for it wherever it might be, not just where you think it should be.
    You can, of course, post nothing but the name and photo of whatever you're wearing, but no one is constrained to doing only that in order to comply with the purpose of the thread.
    While my primary interest is in photos of, and related to, vintage fragrances, anyone might be legitimately interested in any other photos, in any thread, of any age. Their interest does not require your approval, nor does it require your understanding for it to make sense.
    Of course.

So far as I'm concerned, the Vintage SOTD threads are relevant to all vintage fragrances that are, or might be, mentioned therein. I have found information of interest to me in all sorts of threads, and on occasion been frustrated by illustrations of that information using pictures that are no longer online—including old SOTD threads.
    The SOTD thread from the Vintage area abounds with information, indeed. I just did a quick visit there.
    It doesn't follow the pattern of most SOTD threads.
    Currently wearing: JaÔpur Homme by Boucheron

Now that mods are cracking down on requiring some explanation to keep threads like "why, I'm particularly enjoying" distinct from SOTD, I'm getting a good laugh out of watching those who are of few words but many posts try to add some details while still somehow managing to be just as repetitive and unsubstantial as ever.

Like a politician changing the wording while saying the same thing to stay out of trouble.

Have never posted in any of these threads.
    Personally, I just don't understand what's the need esp. for SOTD.
    Well, you wore a scent... so... you wore a scent.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pallas Moncreiff View Post
    So many objections from so many people!...
    ...and yet..these still seem to be the topics that people keep posting in by far the most here on Basenotes!

Explain that one to me!
    People supposedly hate SOTD threads, and keep complaining about them?!
    ..but..SOTD threads are also the most popular threads here on this forum!
    Seriously..I try to start other topics and no one is interested! lol XD

Also..

I'm sorry, no offense or anything (meant to anyone in particular) but if a person has no interest in reading about someone's fragrance (or someone's likes or dislikes in fragrance) why the heck are they even on a fragrance forum?
    Like..what were we supposed to talk about on here? Tigers?
    Like..I kind of agree with PStoller and everyone else who says why do we need people dictating to us what we're supposed to post on here and how we can post it?(Especially if I paid money to be here.)

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yellowtone View Post
    Oh my, are there people worried about their post count? Why?!
    I care a lot about my post count, certainly much more than non-issues like climate change. Especially since I figured that my post count has 80-90% correlation with how many matches I get on Tinder, based on data from Nov 2020 - Jan 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Glad you started this, since it gives me an opportunity for a little rant.

First, to your questions:
    Where do you post and why?
    --Pretty much only in the FFD SOTD and Vintage SOTD.
    Do you select the scent, put it on, and post or do you report at the end of the day?
    --Sometimes I scroll through the SOTD thread for ideas before I apply anything. Then usually post the scent after I've had it on a couple of hours.
    Does the classification of the scent (e.g. marketed to women) determine where you post?
    --Yes.
    Do you post in the Vintage thread if you are wearing a vintage?
    --Yes.

Now, about that rant: I feel like there are just way too many of these daily posting threads, and that they provide too many spammy opportunities for some people who are obsessed with post counts. And you didn't even list one of my biggest peeves: "Fragrance You're Waiting to be Delivered in the Mail". So you buy it, post it in "Bought Today" (X2 if it's a vintage), then post it in "Waiting TB Delivered", receive it, wear it, post it in SOTD (X2 if it's vintage), post it in "Today I'm Enjoying" and maybe in "A Song/Drink/Perfume" (or now "A Movie/Drink/Perfume").

It's overkill.

Factor in the photos, and a person could spend half a day (and I'm sure some do) posting their SOTD and acquisitions.

Sub-rant: if you don't yet have it in hand, you haven't yet bought it as far as I'm concerned. All you've done is order it.

Sub-rant II: Don't get me started on the 3-megabyte photos that take even my high-speed broadband 30 seconds to download.

Got it, will post less, and keep an eye on photo size (size issues never end, do they?). Instead will PM you all my posts. I know that your inbox loves my attention, even if you don't.

It's because it's just such a pleasure to be able to share perfume talk with fellow enthusiasts.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon
    Currently wearing: Eau du Coq by Guerlain

Sillage Monster

I sincerely hope that SOTD thread variations do not get moderated for content. Let's let people post what they want. No one has to read them if not interested.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    I sincerely hope that SOTD thread variations do not get moderated for content. Let's let people post what they want. No one has to read them if not interested.
    Seconded

Iím not old, Iím vintage.

There’s no need for any of this at all, if it comes to that. The very existence of perfume is a luxury. I grant you that SOTD is the most reductive account of fragrance imaginable, but it’s also a springboard for conversation about fragrances, and even without that it’s a form of communal signaling. The level of participation suggests that many people feel the desire, if not the need, to publicly note the day’s scent. Surely there’s no harm in it.
    Currently wearing: Diorling by Christian Dior

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I care a lot about my post count, certainly much more than non-issues like climate change. Especially since I figured that my post count has 80-90% correlation with how many matches I get on Tinder, based on data from Nov 2020 - Jan 2021.

Got it, will post less, and keep an eye on photo size (size issues never end, do they?). Instead will PM you all my posts. I know that your inbox loves my attention, even if you don't.

No no no.
    Indeed, you don't understand.

I wore a scent. I.
    Everyone should hear the news.
    Currently wearing: JaÔpur Homme by Boucheron

I have been a perfum-o-phile for a very long time, it goes back to childhood because of my family.
    I have a huge olfactory library but my interest is academic as well.
    When I post about a scent, I talk about what I like, what I don't like, the history etc.

Of course I don't understand, what merely listing a perfume they wore on a certain day achieves, since it has no meaning to 'me'.
    The emphasis is on 'me'.
    Everyone has a right to an opinion.
    What and where you post is your business.

Well, I agree with ya. Reading SOTD is just about as interesting as reading the phone book. I don't understand at all the point of listing a fragrance you wore (or bought for that matter) without saying anything about it. I'm here for the discussion of the hobby not to read lists.

That said, many people seem to enjoy it so I would never suggest we get rid of it. In fact there is way more participation in these types of threads than in discussion threads which I find disappointing. But describing/analyzing/discussing fragrances makes you use that squishy stuff between your ears and most ppl don't seem up for that.

I suppose the one sense in which it can be interesting is as a type of poll, if you keep seeing many ppl wearing a certain thing it might pique your interest to check it out. Still, it would be a lot more interesting if people could say at least something about it other than the fact they wore it.

It is also a particular frustration of the medium. I've participate in fashion forums before and "What I wore today" threads are interesting because it's a visual medium and the internet is a visual medium. SOTD for sure would be infinitely more interesting (and weird!) if we could actually smell each other.

I have been a perfum-o-phile for a very long time, it goes back to childhood because of my family.
    When I post about a scent, I talk about what I like, what I don't like, the history etc.

Of course I don't understand, what merely listing a perfume they wore on a certain day achieves, since it has no meaning to 'me'.
    The emphasis is on 'me'.

Well, I agree with ya. Reading SOTD is just about as interesting as reading the phone book. I don't understand at all the point of listing a fragrance you wore (or bought for that matter) without saying anything about it. I'm here for the discussion of the hobby not to read lists.

That said, many people seem to enjoy it so I would never suggest we get rid of it. In fact there is way more participation in these types of threads than in discussion threads which I find disappointing. But describing/analyzing/discussing fragrances makes you use that squishy stuff between your ears and most ppl don't seem up for that.

I suppose the one sense in which it can be interesting is as a type of poll, if you keep seeing many ppl wearing a certain thing it might pique your interest to check it out. Still, it would be a lot better if people could say at least something about it other than the fact that they wore it.

It is also a particular frustration of the medium. I've participated in fashion forums and "What I wore today" threads are interesting because it is visual and involves the creativity of the wearer in how they put it together which can be conveyed over the internet. SOTD for sure would be infinitely more interesting (and weird!) if we could actually smell each other and see the context of who/when/where someone wore a particular fragrance.

The emphasis is on 'me'.

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post

I suppose the one sense in which it can be interesting is as a type of poll, if you keep seeing many ppl wearing a certain thing it might pique your interest to check it out. Still, it would be a lot more interesting if people could say at least something about it other than the fact they wore it.
    It is also a particular frustration of the medium. I've participate in fashion forums before and "What I wore today" threads are interesting because it's a visual medium and the internet is a visual medium. SOTD for sure would be infinitely more interesting (and weird!) if we could actually smell each other
    You voiced the points so succinctly; thank you kindly!
    And gave suggestion which would make those SOTD threads worthwhile (to me).

When someone says in person, I am wearing this scent, what's your immediate reaction... ask permission/bend forward and take an inhale, or expect them to extend their wrist or arm for you to sniff. That has meaning because (to my everlasting chagrin), perfumes do smell different on different people.
    But I often do something that rattles folks... after smelling their arm or wrist, I look at them quietly but intensely and say, hmmh. (I'm thinking about their choice of perfume, how it smells on them, and it does influence how I "see" them!)
    And on the money, next comes a very sheepish, Whhhaaat? Lol. And I say, no, Nothing (Nay, Ingenting!)
    Perfume is such a conundrum, so vocal (a sense) that anyone can smell you, but so intimate (an effect) that any hint of a criticism rankles.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks again for the thoughtful replies, folks.

Just to be clear, I think anyone can post their SOTD, SOTN’s, or SOWhenever, in whatever way they wish.

I may not ever produce so systematic a record of my perfume consumption as some, but that’s okay. I didn’t know about the post count competition—is there some sort of prize?

In the end, I just enjoy discussing perfumes with like-minded people.

I wish that we had some sort of digital Smell-O-Vision that would allow us to share actual scent experiences with each other. Exchanging samples is probably the best we can do, so just let me know if I can share anything with you that I have written about.