Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 48
  1. #1
    Basenotes Plus
    grayspoole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,390

    Default SOTD, etc. Threads

    Hi all

    I’m curious to know how each of you approach the various SOTD topics. Where do you post and why? Do you select the scent, put it on, and post or do you report at the end of the day? Does the classification of the scent (e.g. marketed to women) determine where you post? Do you post in the Vintage thread if you are wearing a vintage?

    I have not developed my own strategy. And, yes, I did make a list...


    General Fragrance Discussion

    Why did you wear what you wore today
    Today I am particularly enjoying
    A drink, a song, a perfume
    Sample of the day (monthly)

    Female Fragrance Discussion

    SOTD
    Today I Finished (Monthly)
    Today I Bought (Monthly)
    Synchronized Fridays


    Male Fragrance Discussion

    SOTD
    Today I Bought (Monthly)
    SOTW (Monthly)

    Vintage Forum

    Vintage Scent of the Day
    Vintage Scent I Bought Today

  2. #2

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    First I select, apply and wear the scent(s). Towards the end of the day, I usually record my various SOTM/D/A/E/Ns on BN.
    These days, Friday Synch is about the only 'SOTD'-type thread I post in.
    And MFD 'Your most worn scents in Month X'

    I used to post in the MFD SOTD thread, but mostly cba.
    When the 'Why did you wear what you wore today' and 'Today I am particularly enjoying' threads were moved to GFD, I thought I'd post more in those instead of SOTD, but I don't.
    I thought about posting in the GFD Sample of the day (monthly), but mostly my thoughts get gathered in Private Notes or DMs, and then tidied up into a review - until then, they're insufficiently articulate to be posted in the forums
    I only have one 'vintage' scent, and wouldn't describe myself as into vintages, so I don't even go on the Vintage board.

    Hmm.
    Spring is coming. Selecting from : Penhaligon's Elixir, Juniper Sling; Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta pour Homme EdT, Bottega Veneta EdP; Etro Heliotrope, Gomma, Dianthus, Palais Jamais. Aramis Tuscany; Knize Knize Ten, Hermes Equipage (vtg), Bel Ami, Prada Infusion d'Iris. Decants/samples - various fougeres

  3. #3
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    340,092

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    Normally I select the night before and in the afternoon wear a vintage.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  4. #4
    Common Lackey

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Land of Shrimp&Grits
    Posts
    8,214

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    Glad you started this, since it gives me an opportunity for a little rant.

    First, to your questions:
    Where do you post and why?
    --Pretty much only in the FFD SOTD and Vintage SOTD.
    Do you select the scent, put it on, and post or do you report at the end of the day?
    --Sometimes I scroll through the SOTD thread for ideas before I apply anything. Then usually post the scent after I've had it on a couple of hours.
    Does the classification of the scent (e.g. marketed to women) determine where you post?
    --Yes.
    Do you post in the Vintage thread if you are wearing a vintage?
    --Yes.

    Now, about that rant: I feel like there are just way too many of these daily posting threads, and that they provide too many spammy opportunities for some people who are obsessed with post counts. And you didn't even list one of my biggest peeves: "Fragrance You're Waiting to be Delivered in the Mail". So you buy it, post it in "Bought Today" (X2 if it's a vintage), then post it in "Waiting TB Delivered", receive it, wear it, post it in SOTD (X2 if it's vintage), post it in "Today I'm Enjoying" and maybe in "A Song/Drink/Perfume" (or now "A Movie/Drink/Perfume").

    It's overkill.

    Factor in the photos, and a person could spend half a day (and I'm sure some do) posting their SOTD and acquisitions.

    Sub-rant: if you don't yet have it in hand, you haven't yet bought it as far as I'm concerned. All you've done is order it.

    Sub-rant II: Don't get me started on the 3-megabyte photos that take even my high-speed broadband 30 seconds to download.



  5. #5
    Basenotes Plus
    Wingie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Beautiful Prairies
    Posts
    659

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I feel like there are just way too many of these daily posting threads, and that they provide too many spammy opportunities for some people who are obsessed with post counts.
    Agree 100%. Thank you for saying this as I didn't have the guts to.

  6. #6
    I’m not old, I’m vintage.
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,837

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    I usually wear vintage, so I usually post in VSOTD. If wearing current, then usually MSOTD. I avoid multiple posts with the exception of synchs, which I post in both the synch and relevant SOTD threads.

    Which is to say, even my self-indulgence has limits.
    Currently wearing: Diorling by Christian Dior

  7. #7
    Dependent jkonick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,587

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    I agree that many of these threads overlap, and I'd be more likely to read and participate if they were pared down to 3-4 across the board. I do like posting in and reading the "today I smelled for the first time" thread. There is more useful and interesting discussion and posting there since it's not just listing a name and photo, but usually accompanied by first impressions. I tried posting in the SOTD thread on the male forum for a while but grew bored with it quickly.
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne

  8. #8
    Basenotes Plus
    The Cologne Cabinet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,610

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    I post in Vintage SOTD or Male Fragrance SOTD depending on what I'm wearing. Avoid double posts because it's pointless and try to upload only the best 5MB photos I can with my iPhone XIII prototype smartest phone............................................. ..........................................jk...... ................................................................ .

    “Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

  9. #9
    Common Lackey

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Land of Shrimp&Grits
    Posts
    8,214

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cologne Cabinet View Post
    and try to upload only the best 5MB photos I can with my iPhone XIII prototype smartest phone...
    Wiseguy.

    I just thought of another one that's in the same field: Scent Of The Night 2021 - What fragrance did you sleep with last night?

  10. #10

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    I'm leaning more toward the Why did you wear what you wore today thread in General and I still really like the Female Sotd thread as it's a mix of what you are wearing and what's happening in your life although posting in both daily threads, sometimes feels too repetitive for me. I will occasionally post in the Today I am particularly enjoying thread in general when I'm having a great perfume day where one of perfumes is smelling extra wonderful for what ever reason. We are trying to get the Today I am particularly enjoying thread back on track and topic where posters at least have to post the reason why they are particularly enjoying their daily choice - no fragrance name only posts or fragrance picture only posts are allowed in there anymore as the original topic was a discussion thread and wasn't meant as a daily Sotd type thread. So, it may be worth a read if you haven't done so recently?

    As for the other threads in general, A drink, a song, a perfume and Sample of the day (monthly) - I like more discussion type fragrance threads so I rarely read the A drink, a song, a perfume thread and only go in there if I have some spare time and I want to see the songs posted. And, the Sample of the day (monthly) thread, I tend to forget about as I only sample things on and off when the need to try new fragrances hits (I can go months without sampling anything new) but I don't think of this thread as a daily Sotd thread and I hope others aren't using it that way.

    In the female fragrance forum, I don't think of the Today I Finished thread which is yearly not monthly as a daily Sotd thread. I do read it when there is a new post as I'm always interested in fragrances that members enjoy enough to finish a bottle and whether they love it enough to replenish or if they are ready to move on or want to play the "wait awhile and see if they miss it" game. The Synchronized Fridays thread is more of a Sotd thread but it does encourage more discussion which I like and it's weekly not daily. I sometimes only post in the Synchronized Fridays thread and not in the Sotd thread if I don't have enough time to post in both. The Today I Bought threads in both the Female and Male forums are different to the SOTD threads but I can see how they can they can get repetitive if members post in both and if it's vintage as well then it's in all three bought threads.

    Personally, I would love to see more fragrance discussion threads and less of the repetitive type ones. So, if you think of some good fragrance discussion topics, please start a new discussion thread.
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.
    Currently wearing: Tiare by Ormonde Jayne

  11. #11
    Sillage Monster
    Trilby Lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    7,211

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    The threads I post on daily are:
    1. SOTD (Female)
    2. Why Did You Wear What You Wore Today?

    The two threads are different and a different mix of people post to each. SOTD is chatty and tends to be personal, with fragrance discussion thrown in. The Why Did You Wear thread can be more focussed on fragrance discussion related to the Why question.

    I often post to the What Fragrance Did You Sleep With thread. I didn't used to wear more than one a day but now I do. There's not a lot of discussion on the thread.

    The What Did You Buy and What Did You Receive threads are a little redundant. Also, as a confirmed Unisex buyer, it's a little confusing about what gender to post to. I wish the topic was not segregated.

    I only post to the Particularly Enjoying thread if something absolutely blows my mind and I have something to say about it.

    Yes, some people post the same fragrance wearing to multiple threads. Whatever...
    Last edited by Trilby Lark; 20th February 2021 at 04:12 AM.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

  12. #12
    The Scented Devil
    Varanis Ridari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    12,429
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    I used to post religiously, now I just don't have the getupandgo. So I pick one or two.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

  13. #13

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    For SOTD I post in the Perfume Directory, Scents of the Day, Todays Perfumes. It can be any time of day but it’s not necessarily every day because I only post when changing fragrance. I like that spot because it’s easy to calculate your usage over time.

    Other than that, I like the Why did you wear...etc. thread because I find everybody’s reasoning behind their choice really enjoyable to read. And it encourages me to articulate my own reasoning and share it.

    As for Today I bought and Today I finished, these are for registering landmarks and a chance to indulge in some glamour photos of perfume bottles. Discussion in those threads is a great bonus.

    For purchases and finished bottles I post in the Female fragrance discussion forum, just to have the events saved in one place for reference if needed later. But I’m with Trilby Lark on this: I’d rather see these topics in the General fragrance discussion forum because gender-typing perfumes I may wear can really be an artificial distinction as they often span categories.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

    Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon
    Currently wearing: Eau du Coq by Guerlain

  14. #14

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Glad you started this, since it gives me an opportunity for a little rant.

    First, to your questions:
    Where do you post and why?
    --Pretty much only in the FFD SOTD and Vintage SOTD.
    Do you select the scent, put it on, and post or do you report at the end of the day?
    --Sometimes I scroll through the SOTD thread for ideas before I apply anything. Then usually post the scent after I've had it on a couple of hours.
    Does the classification of the scent (e.g. marketed to women) determine where you post?
    --Yes.
    Do you post in the Vintage thread if you are wearing a vintage?
    --Yes.

    Now, about that rant: I feel like there are just way too many of these daily posting threads, and that they provide too many spammy opportunities for some people who are obsessed with post counts. And you didn't even list one of my biggest peeves: "Fragrance You're Waiting to be Delivered in the Mail". So you buy it, post it in "Bought Today" (X2 if it's a vintage), then post it in "Waiting TB Delivered", receive it, wear it, post it in SOTD (X2 if it's vintage), post it in "Today I'm Enjoying" and maybe in "A Song/Drink/Perfume" (or now "A Movie/Drink/Perfume").

    It's overkill.

    Factor in the photos, and a person could spend half a day (and I'm sure some do) posting their SOTD and acquisitions.

    Sub-rant: if you don't yet have it in hand, you haven't yet bought it as far as I'm concerned. All you've done is order it.

    Sub-rant II: Don't get me started on the 3-megabyte photos that take even my high-speed broadband 30 seconds to download.


    Oh my, are there people worried about their post count? Why?!

    To answer the original questions, I don't post in these threads, precisely because there are so many, and I feel some of them are quite close knit groups. I just keep track of what I wear using the scent of the day feature. The only thread I sometimes post in is Today I am particularly enjoying because every now and then a selected scent hits me particularly well, and on those days this thread seems appropriate.

  15. #15
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    3,373

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    I’m curious to know how each of you approach the various SOTD topics. Where do you post and why? Do you select the scent, put it on, and post or do you report at the end of the day? Does the classification of the scent (e.g. marketed to women) determine where you post? Do you post in the Vintage thread if you are wearing a vintage?
    I select the scent, put it on, and post. The vintage SOTD thread has been great at times over the last few years, so that's my first choice if the fragrance qualifies. Otherwise, I post in either the male or female SOTD threads.

    When there was the original "A song, a drink, and a perfume" thread, it could be tempting to double post my scent of the day because I liked that thread so much.

    I end up posting in some of the other threads responding to people.
    Last edited by Bavard; 20th February 2021 at 02:24 PM.

  16. #16
    Super Member Nom de Guerre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    189

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    I'm pretty new here and only post to two threads that are a bit more fun than other SOTD threads.

    A drink, a song, a perfume – what I've chosen to wear that day, a song that goes well with the scent and whatever I'm drinking at the moment.
    A film, a drink, a perfume – what I've chosen to wear that day, a film that goes well with the scent and whatever I'm drinking at the moment.

    I don't see any benefit to post in other SOTD threads.

  17. #17
    Basenotes Plus
    grayspoole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,390

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    Everyone—

    Thanks to all for the thoughtful replies. Perhaps it is just my pandemic-addled brain, but I can’t seem to settle on an approach to documenting my SOTD. But I do think and read about perfume on most days...


    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Normally I select the night before and in the afternoon wear a vintage.
    This seems very rational and orderly. Query: why are vintages your preferred choice for evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by CuddleCat View Post
    We are trying to get the Today I am particularly enjoying thread back on track and topic where posters at least have to post the reason why they are particularly enjoying their daily choice - no fragrance name only posts or fragrance picture only posts are allowed in there anymore as the original topic was a discussion thread and wasn't meant as a daily Sotd type thread. So, it may be worth a read if you haven't done so recently?....

    Personally, I would love to see more fragrance discussion threads and less of the repetitive type ones. So, if you think of some good fragrance discussion topics, please start a new discussion thread.
    I will check out the “Particularly Enjoying Today” thread. I definitely lean more to discussion than simply documenting my SOTD so I agree. Sometimes an interesting discussion starts in a SOTD thread, and it is nearly impossible to find it again, or remember which thread it was in.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I used to post religiously, now I just don't have the getupandgo. So I pick one or two.
    Same here. Putting on perfume is an accomplishment in itself these days. Or pants.

    Quote Originally Posted by yellowtone View Post
    To answer the original questions, I don't post in these threads, precisely because there are so many, and I feel some of them are quite close knit groups. I just keep track of what I wear using the scent of the day feature. The only thread I sometimes post in is Today I am particularly enjoying because every now and then a selected scent hits me particularly well, and on those days this thread seems appropriate.
    Another solid vote for the “Particularly Enjoying” thread..

  18. #18

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard
    I select the scent, put it on, and post. The vintage SOTD thread has been great at times over the last few years, so that's my first choice if the fragrance qualifies. Otherwise, I post in either the male or female SOTD threads.
    Same for me.
    Currently wearing: Furyo by Jacques Bogart

  19. #19

    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    18,778
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    l always post in the female SOTD thread, not because l'm necessarily wearing a female-marketed fragrance, but because that's where l feel most at home. l enjoy the fact that people there share a little about their lives, & often there's an interesting or amusing discussion unrelated to perfume. The same thing doesn't seem to happen in the male SOTD thread. l post once l've decided what to wear that day, sometimes before applying it, sometimes after.

    l post in the weekly synch thread, & usually go into more detail there about my choice of perfume than l do in the SOTD thread.

    l post in the Sample of the Day thread whenever l sample something, which isn't so often these days, but l really enjoy readiing about others' sampling experiences, & it doesn't have to mean writing a fullly-formed review. l do think the Today l Smelled for the First Time thread serves a similar purpose & is probably unnecessary.

    l post in the Today l Finished thread on the rare occasions that this happens, because it seems fitting to mark such a milestone.

    l almost never look at the Today l Bought thread, because it's not good for my wallet...

    l'm not crazy about chasing vintage fragrances, so l don't tend to participate in the Vintage forum.

    l don't post in any of the others such as Why Did You Wear.. or, A Song, a Drink.. because there's not enough hours in the day, & l dislike repeating myself too often.

    And l agree with Cook.bot's rants regarding the repetetiveness of some of these threads, as well as the huge photos...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

  20. #20
    I’m not old, I’m vintage.
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,837

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Sub-rant: if you don't yet have it in hand, you haven't yet bought it as far as I'm concerned. All you've done is order it.

    Sub-rant II: Don't get me started on the 3-megabyte photos that take even my high-speed broadband 30 seconds to download.
    1. If I've paid for it, I've bought it, as far as I'm concerned. But, I see no point in posting that I bought it, then that it's on its way, then that it arrived, unless something noteworthy has happened along the way.

    2. I post largish photos, so I apologize if they cause loading issues. I do that because I'm annoyed by small photos with gnarly compression artifacts that are too hard to see. Two more things about those: first, I actually downsize them before posting, because the original resolution is indeed overkill; and second, the board software automatically downsizes them further, so the photo that gets posted is rarely if ever as large as the one I upload. If I could figure out what the threshold is, I would optimize my photos as much as possible to the board's tolerance settings. In any case, none of them is 3MB by the time you see it—in fact, I just checked, and it appears that none of the photos on BN is larger than 100K.
    Currently wearing: Diorling by Christian Dior

  21. #21

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    Generally don't announce what I'm wearing though I've periodically tried some of these threads. Why Did You Wear What You Wore Today is probably my favourite.

  22. #22
    Basenotes Plus

    HouseOfPhlegethon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    in a river valley
    Posts
    6,085

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    I'm totally random where I post: female SOTD- often multiple times of the day, sometimes male SOTD, vintage SOTD if I happen to pick an oldie. I don't purchase new bottles anymore so, those are moot for me.

    Every now and then, I'll disappear for a day or two - not feeling fragrantly social.
    Currently wearing: Irish Leather by Memo

  23. #23
    Common Lackey

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Land of Shrimp&Grits
    Posts
    8,214

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    2. I post largish photos, so I apologize if they cause loading issues. I do that because I'm annoyed by small photos with gnarly compression artifacts that are too hard to see. Two more things about those: first, I actually downsize them before posting, because the original resolution is indeed overkill; and second, the board software automatically downsizes them further, so the photo that gets posted is rarely if ever as large as the one I upload. If I could figure out what the threshold is, I would optimize my photos as much as possible to the board's tolerance settings. In any case, none of them is 3MB by the time you see it—in fact, I just checked, and it appears that none of the photos on BN is larger than 100K.
    One more ranty note and then I'll stop hijacking this thread: Your own photos are never a problem; large though they are, they're appropriately compressed. The big bad fatties are not ones that users have uploaded to their BN assets folder -- they're almost always giant files that have been linked to from users' accounts on photo sharing sites outside of BN.

  24. #24
    Dependent Emanuel76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Oriental Europe
    Posts
    2,300

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Where do you post and why?
    I'm posting on "Fragrances that WOW you recently", "SOTD", "What fragrance did you sleep with last night?" and "Waiting To Be Delivered In The Mail", because WOW, SOTD, wore it last night, or I'm waiting to be delivered.

    I'm lazy (sometimes), so I don't review the samples I test. So after a while I forget how they smell and test them again. Some of them are far too bad to be worth testing twice. By posting on some threads like "Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time" I force myself to write reviews, which helps me a lot later.

    Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Do you select the scent, put it on, and post or do you report at the end of the day?
    At the middle of the day, lately.
    I used to post in the morning, from the office. But since the weather has warmed up, I'm hyperactive again, so in the morning I'm not in the mood to compose, search and sniff my wrist.
    I hate the cold weather. On the other hand, my perfumes are especially suitable for cold weather, so...

    I'm always posting only from my laptop, at my desk. Never from the phone.

    Posting on those threads marks the beginning of the hour (or more) when I read reviews, look for samples, fill out my lists, I look on ebay for all the rare perfumes I want, and so on.

    Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Does the classification of the scent (e.g. marketed to women) determine where you post?
    No.

    Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    Do you post in the Vintage thread if you are wearing a vintage?
    No. Only in the male forum.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Factor in the photos, and a person could spend half a day (and I'm sure some do) posting their SOTD and acquisitions.
    Less than 30 seconds, per photo, in 70% of cases.

    ----

    I just ate mouldy cheese (gorgonzola) and Kaiser pear cut in small pieces and mixed with walnuts, honey and cow fat cream (15-20%).

    1. You should try it. It's delicious.
    2. I want a perfume like that.
    3. I need a fat burner.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

  25. #25
    I’m not old, I’m vintage.
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,837

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    The big bad fatties are not ones that users have uploaded to their BN assets folder -- they're almost always giant files that have been linked to from users' accounts on photo sharing sites outside of BN.
    Ah, gotcha. Should the situation arise, I’ll be wary about that in the future. My usual practice with “outside” photos is to d/l from the source and u/l to BN. This is not to control size, but to avoid having pertinent pictures disappear, as I’ve seen in older posts.
    Currently wearing: Diorling by Christian Dior

  26. #26

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    I only report purchases when they are safely in hand and then photograph the actual bottle and post using the basenotes uploader. I hope the photos are within reasonable paramaters. On my devices they fit readily but others' may present them differently.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

    Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon
    Currently wearing: Eau du Coq by Guerlain

  27. #27
    Dependent Emanuel76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Oriental Europe
    Posts
    2,300

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    to avoid having pertinent pictures disappear, as I’ve seen in older posts.
    Nobody cares about the posts from these threads after a while. They're just snacks.

    Google will return the more relevant results.
    For example, if you search "Dior Eau Sauvage basenotes", you'll find threads from basenotes with Dior Eau Sauvage in the title, not posts from the SOTD type of threads.

    The only images that would be nice not to disappear are those of vintage perfumes.
    - What does the vintage pre-2000 Habit Rouge bottle looks like?
    The picture is very relevant, especially when there are no explanations added.
    - The tall bottle with spray and golden cap. The contour of the label is also golden.

    But it is quite likely that the information will be lost, if it's not posted on a thread with Vintage Habit Rouge in the title.


    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

  28. #28
    I’m not old, I’m vintage.
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,837

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post
    Nobody cares about the posts from these threads after a while.
    Well, obviously I cared, hence my concern.

    The only images that would be nice not to disappear are those of vintage perfumes.
    Which are usually what I’m posting or looking at.
    Currently wearing: Diorling by Christian Dior

  29. #29
    Dependent Emanuel76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Oriental Europe
    Posts
    2,300

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Well, obviously I cared, hence my concern.


    Which are usually what I’m posting or looking at.
    That doesn't make any sense.
    Why would you care what X wore on a certain date, six month ago?!

    As I already said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post
    But it is quite likely that the information will be lost, if it's not posted on a thread with Vintage Habit Rouge in the title.
    If you want certain relevant information, search on the relevant threads, not on the SOTD type of threads.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

  30. #30
    Moderator

    cazaubon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,982

    Default Re: SOTD, etc. Threads

    I can barely get myself together to post once a day in the Female SOTD thread, never post in the others.




Similar Threads

  1. SOTD Threads
    By Grant in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 5th February 2016, 08:32 AM
  2. Do you read SOTD threads?
    By Reminiscent in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 16th November 2010, 12:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000