Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best Cypress scent.

Hello! Ive asked this question a few years ago. Im looking for a solid cypress , pine, fir scent where that note is the star of the show. I currently own Tom Ford Itilian Cypress, Floris 1962, vintage Halston Z14, vintage polo, Norne. Owned Cape Heartache swapped it. So if anyone can make a suggestion Id be happy to purchase today from a reputable site. Thanks guys!

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Best Cypress scent.

Have you smelled Cypress & Grapevine Cologne Intense by Jo Malone?
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood
    Currently wearing: Bang by Marc Jacobs

I haven’t Mike! I know Jo Malone doesn’t have great longevity. Is this a good one?

I do like CLIVE CHRISTIAN Noble XXI Art Deco Cypress, but it may not be cypress dominant enough for what you seek.

It's there of course, but it is more a very, very nice woody scent with a cypress element.

ORMANDE JAYNE MAN Is my favorite conifer/fir style scent and think you might want to sample.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I do like CLIVE CHRISTIAN Noble XXI Art Deco Cypress, but it may not be cypress dominant enough for what you seek.

It's there of course, but it is more a very, very nice woody scent with a cypress element.

ORMANDE JAYNE MAN Is my favorite conifer/fir style scent and think you might want to sample.
    Thank you! I’ll check out OJM. Would you say fir is the star?

I'd suggest trying Acqua di Parma Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Cipresso di Toscana.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I'd suggest trying Acqua di Parma Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Cipresso di Toscana.
    I did at one time. I ended up buying Mirto Di Panera. Maybe I’ll try again is it cypress heavy?

Quote Originally Posted by ANGIESDOEBOY View Post
    Thank you! I’ll check out OJM. Would you say fir is the star?
    Hmmm, I find it a nice blend with a noticeable fir accent. You'll have to sample. It's a note called black hemlock which is pretty pronounced to me.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

Sad Cypress Ikiryō

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Sad Cypress Ikiryō
    Hi Hednic! I know it’s in the name. is cypress the star?

Hello! Ive asked this question a few years ago. Im looking for a solid cypress , pine, fir scent where that note is the star of the show. I currently own Tom Ford Itilian Cypress, Floris 1962, vintage Halston Z14, vintage polo, Norne. Owned Cape Heartache swapped it. So if anyone can make a suggestion Id be happy to purchase today from a reputable site. Thanks guys!
    You need to check out Pineward Perfumes. There's a Pineward thread in the general fragrance discussion thread. They make some of the very best fir, pine, spruce forward fragrances available. Fanghorn, Murkwood, Boreal are three from Pineward that are definitely worth checking into...they're brilliant.

As far as cypress forward fragrances you should try to find at least a sample of Cypres Musc by Creed as well.
    Currently wearing: Grandenia by Areej le Dor

Quote Originally Posted by Scent Detective View Post
    You need to check out Pineward Perfumes. There's a Pineward thread in the general fragrance discussion thread. They make some of the very best fir, pine, spruce forward fragrances available. Fanghorn, Murkwood, Boreal are three from Pineward that are definitely worth checking into...they're brilliant.

As far as cypress forward fragrances you should try to find at least a sample of Cypres Musc by Creed as well.
    Gonna. Look now. Had Cypress Musc long ago.

Olympic Orchids - Olympic Rainforest Leans a touch dark, more fir and pine than cypress but a great wood scent.
    Goutal - Nuit Etoilee very few people seem to wear this but it's conifer heaven. Many threads compare it to Norme but I have not tried that......

As to AdP Cipresso Toscana, good scent, but I find the wood to be more subtle/less up front than my other suggestions. Now if you get the vintage/original version it's a bit of a different story, the wood is not so much primary in that one but it is more constant of a presence beginning to end...
    Currently wearing: Santos by Cartier

Basenotes Junkie

Floris 1962, but u have it already

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

Hello! I’ve asked this question a few years ago. I’m looking for a solid cypress , pine, fir scent where that note is the star of the show. I currently own Tom Ford Itilian Cypress, Floris 1962, vintage Halston Z14, vintage polo, Norne. Owned Cape Heartache swapped it. So if anyone can make a suggestion I’d be happy to purchase today from a reputable site. Thanks guys!
    Wow, you seem to be ahead of the game already with the Tom Ford and Floris. Both superb cypress scents alike.

Esencia Loewe might be one to check out as well. The current version is actually better than the vintage, now that I've tried both side by side.

I have recently started looking at a small private perfume brand here in the UK that is very well known amongst wet shaving enthusiasts. It's called Castle Forbes. They have two really good pine scents: 1445 and Gentlemen's Cologne. Both are highly recommended.

I did at one time. I ended up buying Mirto Di Panera. Maybe I’ll try again is it cypress heavy?
    I have been bitten by this one too! Mirto is a superb scent, very fresh - that opening is out of this world.

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

You already own it - Floris 1962
    Favorites
    Fahrenheit Parfum - Dior
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    Danger- Roja Dove
    Baraonda - Nasomatto
    Pardon - Nasomatto
    Jubilation XXV - Amouage
    Patchouli Intense - Parfums de Nicolai
    1962 - Floris
    Currently wearing: New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

Blog Entries

Only cypress scent better than 1962 for me is Roja Reckless Parfum Pour Homme

Micallef Seducteur also a very good niche take on Polo Green.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    Only cypress scent better than 1962 for me is Roja Reckless Parfum Pour Homme

Micallef Seducteur also a very good niche take on Polo Green.
    Hey Nick, just curious. Looking at the RECKLESS notes I don't see anything cypress or fir related...
    Roja blends so many notes, does the mix conjure a "conifer" feel?

EDIT: D'OH... looked at the wrong "RECKLESS" - I see the Parfum version does have cypress!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Hey Nick, just curious. Looking at the RECKLESS notes I don't see anything cypress or fir related...
    Roja blends so many notes, does the mix conjure a "conifer" feel?

EDIT: D'OH... looked at the wrong "RECKLESS" - I see the Parfum version does have cypress!
    oh yes, you won’t miss the cypress in the parfum!
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Wow, you seem to be ahead of the game already with the Tom Ford and Floris. Both superb cypress scents alike.

Esencia Loewe might be one to check out as well. The current version is actually better than the vintage, now that I've tried both side by side.

I have recently started looking at a small private perfume brand here in the UK that is very well known amongst wet shaving enthusiasts. It's called Castle Forbes. They have two really good pine scents: 1445 and Gentlemen's Cologne. Both are highly recommended.
    I was on fence about Esencia Loewe, so it really is Pine heavy?

Quote Originally Posted by Scent Detective View Post

OK, just ordered from Pineward hopefully It's what Im after. Thank you for this!

I was on fence about Esencia Loewe, so it really is Pine heavy?
    Honestly, no it's not heavily in there by any means. But it is there.

You will get much more pine out of the Castle Forbes recommendations that I made.

You will get much more pine out of the Castle Forbes recommendations that I made.
    Thank you!

I was going to suggest Italian Cypress, but you already have it.
    Current Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    MFK Baccarat Rouge 540
    Creed Royal Oud
    Armani Prive Myrrhe Imperiale
    Amouage Jubilation XXV
    MFK Grand Soir
    Roja Dove Elysium Cologne
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Creed Viking
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Currently wearing: XJ 1861 Naxos by Xerjoff

Thank you!

Xeryus vtg
    Fille en Aiguille
    FREE AS THE WIND!

I just sprayed this sample I got from House of Matriarch (as part of my purchase) and it's called Bonsai. Wow, what a blast of cypress, juniper, christmas tree greeness. I literally just sprayed it on a strip, so not sure yet what the dry down entails, but this is pretty photorealistic so far. I do get a bit of sweetness underneath and not sure if that develops more.

If you can get a sample, it's definitely worth a try!
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Surprised Encre Noire hasn’t come up yet. To me the cypress in that is just as prominent as the vetiver.

Another one I just sampled recently is Nishane B-612. It’s more of a lavender fragrance than cypress but there is a nice, sharp cypress note in the top that is blended with the herbal, cold lavender.
    I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation - Montaigne

Basenotes Institution

Since you have Italian Cypress, you already have the best.