Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hello Basenotes! My modest collection grows. Need suggestions.

Thank you for providing this forum for discussion on fragrance. I never gave it much thought before. I hadn't bought a bottle in over 12 years. My interest in this hobby grew out of a progression while upgrading my regular grooming:
    Started using a double edge safety razor to shave -->
    Began buying better quality shave soaps & brushes
    -->
    Enter the world of quality aftershaves (discovered fragrance) -->
    Lurked forums and utube and blind bought cologne online.
    Over the past year I grew a modest collection that will last a long time but I still feel it's lacking. Some are not good performers. Some smell too much like each other. They're almost all too sweet or powdery. I'm in my late 30's and I remember men's fragrance as smelling so much louder and not so floral. Kill me I loved Drakar Noir.

1614029939960_20210222_161205.jpg

Do you helpful folks have any suggestions that you think will knock my socks off and is different from these?
    I live in Florida where it is hot and humid. Most turn into a skin scent pretty fast. With the pandemic I'll probably end up just blind buying unless it's expensive. If costly I'll try a decant first.
    Thank you for your thoughtful reply!

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Hello Basenotes! My modest collection grows. Need suggestions.

Bel Ami Vetiver is a nice one.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

If you want some old school back in your life, grab some POLO, Fahrenheit, Azzaro Pour Homme, Green Irish Tweed. Something new that stands out from the rest, try Gucci Guilty Absolute.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Perhaps explore the Montale and Mancera houses
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Thank you for the suggestion. I've been meaning to get my nose on some Vetiver and see how I like it. From the descriptions I've read, it may be right up my alley. There are so many variations

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    If you want some old school back in your life, grab some POLO, Fahrenheit, Azzaro Pour Homme, Green Irish Tweed. Something new that stands out from the rest, try Gucci Guilty Absolute.
    I don't mind going old school. I've bought some new flankers of the old goodies and it's been a mixed bag - example ADG
    I feel like at some time I'm going to have to try Green Irish Tweed just because it's so referenced. Will definitely look at the Gucci Guilty Absolute. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Perhaps explore the Montale and Mancera houses
    I never heard of them and will take a look. I'm not too wary of deviating from the mainstream. I'd love to find a less common unique and pleasant scent. In this regard I bought a fragrance from one of my favorite aftershaves, Speick, unfortunately it smelled like bug spray.

+1

Adding:

Chanel Egoiste
    Guerlain Heritage
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Hermes Terre D’Hermes EDT
    Givenchy Gentleman EDT Originale
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Guerlain Homme L’Eau Boisee
    Chanel Antaeus
    Cartier Pasha EDT/Parfum
    Floris 1962
    Costume National Homme
    Nicolai New York Intense
    Tom Ford Beau De Jour
    Tom Ford Ombre Leather 18
    Acqua Di Parma Colonia Intensa

So many excellent masculine classy fragrances!
    Current Top Favorites:

Ralph Lauren Polo
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017
    Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Costume National Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Caron Le 3čme Homme
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP

Dependent

My top recommendation for you would be Rive Gauche. Feels like a combination of old world aftershave and new school niche. Smells fantastic.

In the same vein, you should check out Dior Homme Parfum (2017 version). Doesn't smell sweet or "cologne-y" at all. Just smells fresh, clean, masculine. Vetiver and elemi resin are fantastic, and (like RG) work well in the heat.

Last recommendation is Fahrenheit Parfum. Amazing stuff that really smells nothing like the original (although you should *definitely* check out the original too - both wear well in warm temps).

Dependent

Double post

I would suggest a few Creeds like Green Irish Tweed, Bois du Portugal, and Millesime Imperial, or Chanels like Allure Homme Edition Blanche, Egoiste, and Antaeus, or Guerlains like Heritage, Vetiver, Derby. A great collection you so far.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Welcome!

Concurring on vetivers. They smell fresh, so a good alternative to other styles.
    For some niche, CDG2 man, vetiver and incense, quite fresh, and unique combination.

cacio

Dependent

Something new that stands out from the rest, try Gucci Guilty Absolute.
    I think that this would be a good addition.

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    +1

Adding:

Chanel Egoiste
    Guerlain Heritage
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Hermes Terre D’Hermes EDT
    Givenchy Gentleman EDT Originale
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Guerlain Homme L’Eau Boisee
    Chanel Antaeus
    Cartier Pasha EDT/Parfum
    Floris 1962
    Costume National Homme
    Nicolai New York Intense
    Tom Ford Beau De Jour
    Tom Ford Ombre Leather 18
    Acqua Di Parma Colonia Intensa

So many excellent masculine classy fragrances!
    I'm seeing that picture... thanks for the list!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    My top recommendation for you would be Rive Gauche. Feels like a combination of old world aftershave and new school niche. Smells fantastic.

In the same vein, you should check out Dior Homme Parfum (2017 version). Doesn't smell sweet or "cologne-y" at all. Just smells fresh, clean, masculine. Vetiver and elemi resin are fantastic, and (like RG) work well in the heat.

Last recommendation is Fahrenheit Parfum. Amazing stuff that really smells nothing like the original (although you should *definitely* check out the original too - both wear well in warm temps).
    Your specific recommendations are thoughtful and appreciated. I will check them out. Thank you!

Based off your expert suggestions, I placed orders last night:
    Bel Ami Vetiver
    Gucci Guilty Absolute
    sample of Green Irish Tweed

tonight's planned acquisitions:
    Rive Gauche
    Fahrenheit for old school
    some Creed decants

It'll take a couple weeks for these all to arrive and I'm sure they'll smell great. Thanks again!

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by Nickodemus View Post
    Bel Ami Vetiver
    Gucci Guilty Absolute

Rive Gauche
    some Creed decants

It'll take a couple weeks for these all to arrive and I'm sure they'll smell great. Thanks again!
    That is quick action. Following for smelling notes.

Bel Ami Vetiver
    Gucci Guilty Absolute

Rive Gauche
    some Creed decants

Don't forget to check back and share your thoughts.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

For those interested I'll happily line them up and give my honest opinion. I'm still discovering what I like and my descriptions might help someone with similar tastes.

Bel Ami Vetiver
    Gucci Guilty Absolute

Rive Gauche
    some Creed decants

That's a great start. I'd be interested in knowing which other Creeds you went after what your thoughts. of them after trying.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Bel Ami Vetiver
    Gucci Guilty Absolute

Rive Gauche
    some Creed decants

Way to dive in head first! You'll enjoy these!
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Already a great collection, to the point that it may be difficult to find something else highly different from these that stands out as a scent wardrobe highlight - since your current lineup is plentiful on both outstanding quality and variety.
    Maybe a fine and versatile, not overpriced while still classy fragrance that contains lavender and remains appropriate in hot summery temperatures like L'Occitan, Caron pour un Homme Sport, Sartorial by Penhaligon's might be worth (re) testing.
    Also perhaps a stylish minty option like Cartier Roadster or Creed Royal Mayfair.
    Currently wearing: Derrick by Orlane

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Already a great collection, to the point that it may be difficult to find something else highly different from these that stands out as a scent wardrobe highlight - since your current lineup is plentiful on both outstanding quality and variety.
    Maybe a fine and versatile, not overpriced while still classy fragrance that contains lavender and remains appropriate in hot summery temperatures like L'Occitan, Caron pour un Homme Sport, Sartorial by Penhaligon's might be worth (re) testing.
    Also perhaps a stylish minty option like Cartier Roadster or Creed Royal Mayfair.
    It's a joy for me to discover these fragrances; after years of worry about being scent non-offensive lol
    I have the L'Occitan aftershave and it is very good. I love the penhalion's ram horns. Aries! Haven't tried their stuff yet. Thank you for the kind words.

1614378639939_20210226_172702.jpg
    First arrival is the Gucci Guilty Absolute. Fast shipping. My first smell:
    WHOA WHOA WHOOOOOOOA AWESOME!
    Y'all didn't give me the bump steer. I don't know how to describe it, it's leathery and tart, has a lot going on. Smells no-nonsense. I love it. It has kind of a peachy color. It came in with the atomizer primed. I stopped smelling it on me with three sprays after about 20 minutes. The atomizer is not great just gives an instant little squirt. My wife got home about half an hour after me and I went out front to greet her. She didn't smell it on me until her nose was right against me. She's still recovering her smell from covid though. I put another spray-on in front of her and she said it smelled too 'musky' for her. I don't know what that means. She likes Aspen. Regardless I'll definitely be wearing this one. Just doesn't seem to have much longevity but it's still fresh I don't know if it'll make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    That's a great start. I'd be interested in knowing which other Creeds you went after what your thoughts. of them after trying.
    Thank you for your reply and previous suggestions.
    Creed samples due in:
    Himalaya
    Milestone Imperial
    Original Vetiver
    Green Irish Tweed
    That will be all for now with Creed. The Fahrenheit was an easy find. Rive Gauche was not, only abundent in the female version. Might skip that one unless it's a uni

Two more arrived.
    Bel Ami Vetiver by Hermes:
    "A bold assertive charm, The encounter between vetiver and Russian leather." It's class in a bottle.
    I wore this one yesterday and couldn't stop smelling my wrist! It's another wonderful suggestion that blew me away at first spray. Taken all at once the bouquet of aroma is present, pleasant, and professional. Not for the club or one prone to whimsy. The opening was a little more sweet and soapy than I prefer but it tamed out very quickly. Performance is good. I had longevity and sillage. To my nose something like faint cinnamon cookie peeks out in the middle and surprised me. It's not on the level of bay rum but is still there. It starts with a nice leather scent and layers of complexity float around after that; notes I cannot identify but are delicious and earthy. Don't get me wrong thinking sweet cookie; this is a masculine scent. I have more vetiver fragrances due in and hopefully I can use that to help identify the smell of vetiver. This is now my favorite and the first I can really smell the notes profoundly develop while wearing. I think it works well with my peppery body chemistry. It's amazing how a scent sometimes bubble memories from way back in your mind. When I was a child my beloved pediatrician wore something similar to this. I'll always associate it with a wise, mature, altruistic family doctor type. The person with taste and experience who calmly explains things accurately to you smells like this. I think it's very wearable anytime anywhere and plan to enjoy it often. Thank you for the awesome suggestion.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed:
    "This is what the older boss of the guy wearing Aventus wears"... uhmm no! I found it overrated to say the least. This is what some middle school gym spray can deodorant smells like. I got an alpine tree smell like aspen plus some sort of sporty aquatic. I've smelled something cheap very similar to it before but cannot put my finger on what it was. Just a generic clean smell. Fit for t-shirts and playing sports in. My wife liked it. I'm wearing it now to see how it rides but am unimpressed. According to shipping tracking, Fahrenheit is arriving today and I cannot wait to wash off the GIT and try the Fahrenheit. While some people love this, it's just not for me. FWIW I found Aventus to be a good performer but one-dimensional and unthrilling too. My brother liked Aventus on me so I bought him Mont Blanc (I'm a sucker for a good fountain pen) Explorer. We both like the Explorer more because the richer "other" fragrances present in it. Mainly leather and idk some exotic fruit berries or something. More Creed samples are due in so I'll see if they have anything I really like but so far 1) Bel Ami Vetiver 2) Gucci Guilty Absolute (smells badass)

Nick

Glad to hear that your experience with BelAmi was an overall positive one!
    Last edited by hednic; 2nd March 2021 at 01:04 PM.

Hard pass on the Fahrenheit for me! I can't get past the fuel smell. I don't want to smell like that. Now I know...
    I read a review somewhere that the Gucci Guilty Absolute was like a new generation's Fahrenheit but I found them very different. I enjoy GGA. The GGA makes me think of Arnold Schwarzenegger's character in Terminator 2 Judgement Day. The robots would have made him smell like that.

If you loved Drakar Noir, certainly try Duc de Vervins.

Quote Originally Posted by LL Cool Spray View Post
    If you loved Drakar Noir, certainly try Duc de Vervins.
    Appears to be a more dignified take of my old favorite Drakar Noir... I'll bite! Thank you for the suggestion. It's due in on Thursday.