Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I've never had a light summer scent. TDH is the closest I've come

I just can't seem to get on board with any summertime scents. I almost feel like none of them are enough. Kind of like ordering baked fish in a Steakhouse.

I don't like the smell of coconut, and there are a lot of them that kind of smell like bug repellent.

I guess I'm not sure what I should be wearing during the summer that still packs a punch the way I like my fragrances to pack a punch.

Is there anybody else who doesn't seem to like the freshies?

I am very open to recommendations
    Current rotation:
    Polo Green(Warner version)
    Calvin(original)
    Dakar(prefer it to current drakkar noir)
    LPDO Vanille Persuasive
    Kenzo Jungle Home
    Mercedes Benz Private
    Terre d'Hermes EDT

Default Re: I've never had a light summer scent. TDH is the closest I've come

I've had a hard time with so called "freshies" too and I'm very picky with citrus notes, couldn't stand eg. Chanel Allure Homme Sport Edition Blanche or Dior Homme Cologne and sold both because I was so annoyed by the sharp and piercing citrus notes.

There are only very few out of the bunch I could wear.
    I like Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (though it has a weird armpit/gunpowder drydown), AHS Cologne and Guerlain L'Homme Ideal Cologne.
    Givenchy Gentleman Cologne isn't too bad either - but really weak.

And yes, I really really like my Aqva Amara!

There are also not typical summer freshies which work well in higher heat eg. Lalique Encre Noire Sport, that one has indeed a somewhat cooling effect on me.

I know exactly what you mean! I used to be just like that. I love my woods, spices, incense etc so light spring/summer fragrances were never really my thing. A few years back I started to develop a chronic headache disorder. It really changed things for me as I was no longer able to really tolerate a lot of the heavy fall/winter fragrances I own. I was kind of forced to start using lighter spring/summer fragrances. Come to find out Is I started to like them, a lot! I recommend finding some spring/summer fragrances that may have a few notes you might like & then really just give them a chance. I personally can recommend some of the lighter spring/summer oriented fragrances in the Chanel Allure Homme line. Allure Homme Sport, Allure Homme Sport Cologne & Allure Homme Edition Blanche can work well in the spring/summer. All of them are very well put together fragrances. I absolutely love Edition Blanche & never get sick of it! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by DEMON View Post
    Kind of like ordering baked fish in a Steakhouse.
    Haha....

I notice GIT is in your top 10.....do you wear that one in the summer and think it "packs a punch?" Do you feel like you have (or need) to wear "light" summer scents, or do you WANT to?

Do you not like great smelling citrus fragrances? I don't automatically classify great smelling citrus scents as "freshies". I tend to think of "freshies" as the ambroxan bombs that seem to be all the rage today (i.e., Sauvage). But there are a lot of primary citrus scents out there that don't smell like that.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Perhaps Lemon Island by Atelier Cologne.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Havana
    Kouros
    Cool Water
    Kiehl's Musk
    Antaeus
    Bogart Signature
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Le 3me Homme de Caron
    Lagerfeld Classic

I say ....... bring it on.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post

Do you not like great smelling citrus fragrances? I don't automatically classify great smelling citrus scents as "freshies". I tend to think of "freshies" as the ambroxan bombs that seem to be all the rage today (i.e., Sauvage). But there are a lot of primary citrus scents out there that don't smell like that.

This is exactly what I was thinking, I don't like "freshies" but do like citrus, but perhaps those don't have the projection or longevity you are looking for. Top picks here include Acqua di Parma Colonia, Penhaligons Castille, Eau d'Hadrien. If you want to go further away from citrus you could try AdP or Zegna Bergamotto.

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post

And yes, I really really like my Aqva Amara!
    This seems to be getting harder to find, but might be the best suggestion in the list, it's a citrus bomb leaning strongly orange, and has huge longevity.

Also adding Lalique White, Best of Chevignon, Azzaro pour Homme l'Eau among the brightest non aquatic, nor (coconut/other fruit notes type of sweet) light summer scents currently available
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

I'm not really crazy about freshies, but one that I own and love that has pretty great longevity is Dior Balade Sauvage. Also Profumum Roma Acqua di Sale. I don't know that Acqua di Sale is really that light, but it's an aquatic that's perfect in the heat.
    Currently wearing: French Affair by Ex Nihilo

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post

This seems to be getting harder to find, but might be the best suggestion in the list, it's a citrus bomb leaning strongly orange, and has huge longevity.
    Yes, at least older batches are great.
    I've heard some people complaining about newer ones (2016, 2017). Never had those and got my backup bottles earlier.
    It's still available here and there, but more the 50 ml bottles.

Great fragrance and I just don't understand why Bvlgari discontinued it (same for Black Orient).

Hi DEM,

For the better part of (nearly) twenty years here as a BN member, I have collected (what I call) "The Heavy Hitters, the "Old School" Strong type Fragrances and/or the "Animalic" type grouping of Fragrances. That being said, I have recently purchased several (IN-expensive) lighter, Summer type Fragrances. I am of the opinion that (for the most part) spending a lot of money on expensive Summer Fragrances is sort of a waste of money due to fragrance short life because of the Summer heat/Sun. Of course, it would be a different situation if one is wearing a Summer Fragrance for an "indoor" (read Air Conditioning) event in which case, one could pull off using either a pricier Summer Fragrance and/or a borderline Fall/Winter Fragrance. At any rate, my looking for a change from my usual, I recently purchased a few (so called) Summer Colognes that I think I'm going to enjoy, despite not being expensive. As I mentioned, this "Summer Fragances" thing is sort of "new" territory for me and I recently purchased a few bottles "on sale" Colognes such as : Nautica Colognes (Voyage and Blue). I also purchased a couple of Guerlain's Fragrances, "Imperial" and "Homme". Last year, I had purchased (used from Thrift Shop find) a bottle of D & G "Light" which is quite nice. Oooh, one that I'm really going to enjoy wearing this Summer is Ermenegildo Zegna "UOMO" which (so far) punches waaay above it weight for such a (bargain/on sale) Cologne that truly smells excellent! Ooh, also be sure to check out BOUCHERON PH. My best suggestion to you would be, do NOT pay retail for any of the Summer (daily driver) Fragrances. Good luck in your search.

SixCats!

Happy for Men - fresh, uncomplicated and not at all unhappy about being happily synthetic.
    Spray less, love more.

I do like some freshies but I don't find them as satisfying usually as my oud, leather, etc scents. I do like wearing citrus vetiver combos in the summer because the vetiver still lends some heft. Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisée is a good option, it's got a solid woody cedar base but also a great, refreshing lime top note.

Also +1 Lalique White - it's pretty simple and won't stand out, but it's still unique enough blend of lemon, pepper, tamarind and clean white musk. And a big 4.2 oz bottle is shockingly cheap online.
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne

Azzaro Chrome Aqua is fantastic. not too much of anything, just a nice fresh apply type smell and smoothly blended.
    Currently wearing: 3AM by Sean John

Malle Cologne indelebile / French lover / Bigarade Concentree/ Eau de Magnolia
    Hermes Un Jardin Apres la Mousson

These ones aren't typically seen as summer scents, but I find that they bloom really well during the summer:
    Tauer LADDM
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan/ Arabie/ La fille de Berlin

Try spicy freshies like Déclaration and Déclaration Essence, Chic for Men, Paco Rabanne XS...
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

I dislike aquatics (the common freshies nowadays), but like vetivers a lot and find them fresh and perfect for the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I dislike aquatics (the common freshies nowadays), but like vetivers a lot and find them fresh and perfect for the summer.
    Yes! Vetivers are also nice options: Sycomore, Grey Vetiver...
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I looked at my most-worn and filtered for fresh fragrances, and these are the ones I've worn the most (at least 10 times) -

Infusion d'Homme / Infusion d'Iris Cedre
    Grey Vetiver
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Acqua di Gio Profumo
    Green Irish Tweed
    Mugler Cologne
    Sel Marin
    Cool Water
    Allure Homme Sport Cologne
    Set Sail St. Bart's for Men
    Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
    Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche
    Original Vetiver
    Silver Mountain Water
    Guerlain Homme L'eau Boisee
    Bel Respiro
    Bvlgari pour Homme Extreme
    Menthe Fraiche
    Granville
    Dior Homme Sport
    Eau Sauvage
    Acqua Amara
    Castile
    Dior Homme Cologne

So yes, not a lot of aquatics/blue/shower gel scents, but more greens, vetivers and citrus ones.

Quote Originally Posted by boui_boui View Post
    These ones aren't typically seen as summer scents, but I find that they bloom really well during the summer:
    Tauer LADDM
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan/ Arabie/ La fille de Berlin
    Arabie seems a bit risky during the hottest days of Summer, but I swear I will try!

I will also add that Chergui is stunning during the hot days, as well as several oud-focused fragrance, that are more traditionally worn during Winter in the western world.
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

Perhaps there might some classics that could work. Something like Chanel Pour Monsieur or Guerlain Eau de Cologne Imperiale.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

Well, I might have a few recommendations that are not sharp citrus frags, but wearable in summer:

Guerlain Homme EdP
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal Cool
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport and/or Sport Cologne
    Hugo Boss Boss In Motion (more for a younger crowd and a bit synthetic)
    Prada Luna Rossa
    Prada L'Homme and/or L'Homme Cologne
    Baldessarini Del Mar
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa by Prada

If you like TdH, try Rasasi Fattan which is (way) stronger but more suitable for warmer weather!
    (roughly said it smells like a mix of the Edt, PP and Eau Intense Vetiver version and costs next to nothing)
    My Top '12':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco/Aoud Vanille
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - Initio: Side Effect
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - Vermeil: Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Azzaro pour Homme l'Eau among the brightest non aquatic, nor (coconut/other fruit notes type of sweet) light summer scents currently available
    +1!
    Spray less, love more.

Burberry Wekend is my choice!
    FREE AS THE WIND!

Try GGA in the heat. Trust me.

Aramis Havana,
    Joop Nightflight
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Amouage Beach Hut
    Loewe Paula's Ibiza
    The different Company Sel de Vetiver
    Acqua di Portofino Notte
    David Beckham Instinct
    Giorgio for man
    Escentric Molecules Kinski
    Must de Cartier PH vert anis
    Eau d'Orange verte hermes
    Frapin L'Humaniste etc
    Currently wearing: Lui by Mazzolari

I’m a huge, huge fan of Un Jardin Sur Le Nil in the heat. Green, fruity, watery without being an “aquatic”— and the mango-musk drydown sings the hotter it gets.

But I’m also going to recommend you read this fascinating piece by Basenoter Claire Vukcevic from 2017: Summer Fragrances for People Who Hate Summer & Also Summer Fragrances. https://www.basenotes.net/features/3...grances/view/1
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

L'humaniste!
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

If you like Terre d'Hermes try:

Sel de Vetiver
    Guerlain Homme L'eau Boisee
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Racine
    My opinions in weblog form: FragranceReviewer.com
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron