Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The recent uptick in discontinuations

Hey guys,

This might be a bit long but bear with me. This is a topic I wanted to bring up because of the recent uptick in the frequency of fragrance discontinuations. There have been just so many good or decent fragrances being discontinued within the last few years that it's literally getting depressing to watch! It already kind of sucked that most of my favorite fragrances just happened to already be discontinued prior to getting into this hobby but so many of the newer fragrances I have grown to love are also now being discontinued as well. Once upon a time when a certain house like Gucci for example put out a fragrance, it would be on the market for a good 20+ years before it was discontinued. Now it seems fragrances are discontinued after maybe like only 5 or 6 years on the market? If it's not a big hit you could even see it disappear in 1-2 years! There is this crazy trend where houses like Gucci, Yves Saint Laurent etc push out dozens of repetitive flankers for one fragrance but somehow they can't keep other classic fragrances of theirs on the market for more than 10 years or so? As a huge fan of Gucci fragrances from the Tom Ford era which were discontinued right around the time I started this hobby, it's crazy to see the more recent Gucci fragrances which replaced those already being discontinued as well! It especially hit me when Dior decided to replace the modern classic Dior Homme with a completely different fragrance while keeping the same name, the same bottle etc. For God's sake, Dior Homme was still very popular! Like, there are still iris based fragrances for men being released right now which are completely inspired after Dior Homme so it just boggles my mind that Dior would get rid of it! I mean, do men really so badly want to smell like a sickly sweet desert or an over the top synthetic mélange of fruit nowadays that a fragrance like Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme Intenso couldn't even survive on the market for more than 5 years? There are so many fragrances on my wishlist I still had not been able to purchase which have now been discontinued before I was able to even get to them in the first place. Sadly, it seems folks on sites like Ebay for example have picked up on all of this as the price-gouging has become insane! Not that long ago it took years for remaining stock to dry up before a discontinued fragrance would go for hundreds of dollars. Now the day a fragrance is discontinued those on Ebay decide to start charging hundreds for it right away! Oh man, I don't know. The fact that I am not enjoying the direction of where men's fragrances are now going is not helping either, as I am left chasing after discontinued fragrance after discontinued fragrance which I can't afford! Tell me, have you noticed this recent uptick? What are your thoughts? Or is it just me?

Thanks
    Last edited by DolceThaDon; 26th February 2021 at 02:05 PM.

Default Re: The recent uptick in discontinuations

I've been into fragrances since the 80s, so I know some of the pain of discontinuations. I'm not real fond of a lot of recent releases either.

I gather it seems to you like the number of discontinued scents is on the rise and I don't know if that's true or not.
    It could be Covid has caused some "house cleaning" for fragrance companies and other businesses as well.

You say DIOR HOMME "was still popular," but what is that based on. None of us really have access to actual sale figures for scents. I think it is easy for us as members to here to impart far more importance to a scent than the buying public at large. In the world market, the number of Basenoters (and Fraganticans) who love DIOR HOMME is insignificant.

If DIOR HOMME (original) was still a very strong seller, they would not have dropped it. It makes no sense. They replaced it with a scent that seems to be a variation of the SAUVAGE theme.

Same holds true for RIVE GAUCHE POUR HOMME. My guess is both DIOR HOMME Original and RIVE GAUCHE have a bit of a following- even outside forums like this - but that following doesn't generate enough in sales to rationalize continuing it.

I'm kind of surprised (though pleased) that ANTAEUS and EGOISTE are hanging in there. This may speak to the amount of sheer marking muscle and share of sales CHANEL has...these must sell well enough to keep them in production.

We've both been hanging around here awhile (you since 2012 and me since 2009), so we've seen a lot go away. It may be heading into the 2020s, scents are going into some new directions that we may or may not really like, but someone must. Also I notice the majority of scents I like are from 2000-2010 or so, and so those scents are coming up on twenty years old.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

I'm not surprised, the mass market tastes are fickle. Outside of BN and in the real world no one wears these fragrances, even though people that are into fragrances might love them, the average buyer tends to go for whatever is on trend. It seems as if the average Joe tends to go for either something a bit sweet or aquatic and fresh. Price is also a factor, most buyers really don't spend much.

Has the legendary Kouros actually been discontinued? Rive Gauche seemed to disappear from shelves very quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    Has the legendary Kouros actually been discontinued?
    There was a thread here recently where a sales rep (in the US?) was quoted as confirming this is the case. Not reflected in the pricing or availability at European discounters yet, though.
    Spray less, love more.

Quote Originally Posted by DolceThaDon View Post
    Hey guys,

This might be a bit long but bear with me. This is a topic I wanted to bring up because of the recent uptick in the frequency of fragrance discontinuations. There have been just so many good or decent fragrances being discontinued within the last few years that it's literally getting depressing to watch! It already kind of sucked that most of my favorite fragrances just happened to be already discontinued prior to getting into this hobby but so many of the newer fragrances I have grown to love are also now being discontinued as well. Once upon a time when a certain house like Gucci for example put out a fragrance, it would be on the market for a good 20+ years before it was discontinued. Now it seems fragrances are discontinued after maybe like only 5 or 6 years on the market? If it's not a big hit you could even see it disappear in 1-2 years! There is this crazy trend where houses like Gucci, Yves Saint Laurent etc push out dozens of repetitive flankers for one fragrance but somehow they can't keep other classic fragrances of theirs on the market for more than 10 years or so? As a huge fan of Gucci fragrances from the Tom Ford era which were discontinued right around the time I started this hobby, it's crazy to see the more recent Gucci fragrances which replaced those already being discontinued as well! It especially hit me when Dior decided to replace the modern classic Dior Homme with a completely different fragrance while keeping the same name, the same bottle etc. For God's sake, Dior Homme was still very popular! Like, there are still iris based fragrances for men being released right now which are completely inspired after Dior Homme so it just boggles my mind that Dior would get rid of it! I mean, do men really so badly want to smell like a sickly sweet desert or an over the top synthetic mélange of fruit nowadays that a fragrance like Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme Intenso couldn't even survive on the market for more than 5 years? There are so many fragrances on my wishlist I still had not been able to purchase which have now been discontinued before I was able to even get to them in the first place. Sadly, it seems folks on sites like Ebay for example have picked up on all of this as the price-gouging has become insane! Not that long ago it took years for remaining stock to dry up before a discontinued fragrance would go for hundreds of dollars. Now the day a fragrance is discontinued those on Ebay decide to start charging hundreds for it right away! Oh man, I don't know. The fact that I am not enjoying the direction of where men's fragrances are now going is not helping either, as I am left chasing after discontinued fragrance after discontinued fragrance which I can't afford! Tell me, have you noticed this recent uptick? What are your thoughts? Or is it just me?

Thanks
    I feel your pain!!
    Currently wearing: Myths Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    If DIOR HOMME (original) was still a very strong seller, they would not have dropped it. It makes no sense. They replaced it with a scent that seems to be a variation of the SAUVAGE theme.

Same holds true for RIVE GAUCHE POUR HOMME. My guess is both DIOR HOMME Original and RIVE GAUCHE have a bit of a following- even outside forums like this - but that following doesn't generate enough in sales to rationalize continuing it.
    My thoughts also.

This is why you buy backups when there is something out there you love.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Creed - Royal Oud
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Creed - Bois du Portugal
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I hear ya, but that gets scary and pricey. I backed up BOIS DU PORTUGAL when CREED got bought.

There's about five of my faves right now that are probably on the cusp of being dropped.

Kind of frustrating to buy a new bottle when it's something you already have.

Plus when you're an old MFer like me you wonder if you'll ever crack into the backup bottles.

The other annoying thing is a lot of the discontinuations sneak up fast..you think you have time. I remember almost all of us were blindsided by the RIVE GAUCHE drop.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Not so big gamer in the fragrance world but Coty Aspen is discontinued. Coty confirmed this info.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewy View Post
    Not so big gamer in the fragrance world but Coty Aspen is discontinued. Coty confirmed this info.
    If so, I suggest anyone wanting a very nice clone of current GIT at an insanely low price to buy Aspen now. (Mind you, I've only owned recent versions of both - no idea how Aspen used to smell in the past.)
    Spray less, love more.

There's your answer.

It's cheap to release fragrances and, potentially, very profitable. However, even if one of your flankers fails to make the grade, there's no great monetary loss in just chopping it within 5 years of release. There will be another 5 new fragrances released in that time that could become a huge seller (Pure Malt, Ultra Male etc).

The pandemic has royally fucked over the beauty industry though so expect to see a significant curtailing of releases, at least for a few years.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Agreed. This is also a reminder to only buy what you really enjoy/live/love. In my opinion, that means just have a small wardrobe, but even if you consider yourself a 'collector', would you give up 10 bottles of crap you never wear for another 2 bottles of something you love? Well, then do that.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Hey guys,

This might be a bit long but bear with me. This is a topic I wanted to bring up because of the recent uptick in the frequency of fragrance discontinuations. There have been just so many good or decent fragrances being discontinued within the last few years that it's literally getting depressing to watch! It already kind of sucked that most of my favorite fragrances just happened to be already discontinued prior to getting into this hobby but so many of the newer fragrances I have grown to love are also now being discontinued as well. Once upon a time when a certain house like Gucci for example put out a fragrance, it would be on the market for a good 20+ years before it was discontinued. Now it seems fragrances are discontinued after maybe like only 5 or 6 years on the market? If it's not a big hit you could even see it disappear in 1-2 years! There is this crazy trend where houses like Gucci, Yves Saint Laurent etc push out dozens of repetitive flankers for one fragrance but somehow they can't keep other classic fragrances of theirs on the market for more than 10 years or so? As a huge fan of Gucci fragrances from the Tom Ford era which were discontinued right around the time I started this hobby, it's crazy to see the more recent Gucci fragrances which replaced those already being discontinued as well! It especially hit me when Dior decided to replace the modern classic Dior Homme with a completely different fragrance while keeping the same name, the same bottle etc. For God's sake, Dior Homme was still very popular! Like, there are still iris based fragrances for men being released right now which are completely inspired after Dior Homme so it just boggles my mind that Dior would get rid of it! I mean, do men really so badly want to smell like a sickly sweet desert or an over the top synthetic mélange of fruit nowadays that a fragrance like Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme Intenso couldn't even survive on the market for more than 5 years? There are so many fragrances on my wishlist I still had not been able to purchase which have now been discontinued before I was able to even get to them in the first place. Sadly, it seems folks on sites like Ebay for example have picked up on all of this as the price-gouging has become insane! Not that long ago it took years for remaining stock to dry up before a discontinued fragrance would go for hundreds of dollars. Now the day a fragrance is discontinued those on Ebay decide to start charging hundreds for it right away! Oh man, I don't know. The fact that I am not enjoying the direction of where men's fragrances are now going is not helping either, as I am left chasing after discontinued fragrance after discontinued fragrance which I can't afford! Tell me, have you noticed this recent uptick? What are your thoughts? Or is it just me?

Thanks
    I dig the shoutout to D&G INTENSO! It was promoted hard but died quick. An underrated frag that can be had for super cheap.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

I've been into fragrances since the 80s, so I know some of the pain of discontinuations. I'm not real fond of a lot of recent releases either.

I gather it seems to you like the number of discontinued scents is on the rise and I don't know if that's true or not.
    It could be Covid has caused some "house cleaning" for fragrance companies and other businesses as well.

You say DIOR HOMME "was still popular," but what is that based on. None of us really have access to actual sale figures for scents. I think it is easy for us as members to here to impart far more importance to a scent than the buying public at large. In the world market, the number of Basenoters (and Fraganticans) who love DIOR HOMME is insignificant.

I'm kind of surprised (though pleased) that ANTAEUS and EGOISTE are hanging in there. This may speak to the amount of sheer marking muscle and share of sales CHANEL has...these must sell well enough to keep them in production.

We've both been hanging around here awhile (you since 2012 and me since 2009), so we've seen a lot go away. It may be heading into the 2020s, scents are going into some new directions that we may or may not really like, but someone must. Also I notice the majority of scents I like are from 2000-2010 or so, and so those scents are coming up on twenty years old.
    I hear what you are saying. As far as my comments on Dior Homme though. I based it not just off of the fact that Dior Homme & Dior Homme Intense are popular on here but because they were popular pretty much everywhere! Very, very hyped by YouTube reviewers who have a big audience. It's not just that though. Dior Homme set an iris trend in men's fragrances which is still going on till this day! For God's sake a few years back Valentino pretty much copied Dior Homme with their Valentino Uomo & Valentino Uomo Intense! Getting rid of a fragrance that not only has a following but is being copied by other houses & sparked a trend that is still alive in the world of men's fragrance doesn't make much sense? I guess maybe Dior Sauvage was just so overwhelmingly successful that someone over there decided to turn Dior Homme into another synthetic Sauvage-esque bomb hoping for the same response. What a shame! By the way we have pretty similar tastes. Most of my favorite fragrances are from the late 90's to early 2010's. Most of the stuff released within the last few years I am not that fond of! Ugh..

Basenotes Plus

[QUOTEit's cheap to release fragrances and, potentially, very profitable. However, even if one of your flankers fails to make the grade, there's no great monetary loss in just chopping it within 5 years of release. There will be another 5 new fragrances released in that time that could become a huge seller (Pure Malt, Ultra Male etc).[/QUOTE]

+ 1 ....the amount of new releases from every corner of the world just never seems to end.

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I dig the shoutout to D&G INTENSO! It was promoted hard but died quick. An underrated frag that can be had for super cheap.
    Yeah, that was one of the more recent ones that really got me depressed even though I believe it's still being produced in limited quantities in Europe. I never expected Intenso to be around long though as I felt it was a bit too different for the mainstream tastes of today. Intenso was also quite bashed on here for certain reasons when it first came out. I think many in the fragrance community made a mistake on this one. I found it to be one of the best designer releases in years, although I was always a huge Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme fan! Intenso might not be vintage Pour Homme but it put a new spin on the Pour Homme DNA & I loved it! When I found out it was no longer being sold in America I snagged a few backups. Unfortunately I can't do that with much else. I just don't have the funds. Ugh..

I used to own Gucci Envy for Men. I paid £20 around 2015. No way I will pay £300 even if I win the lottery. While people do it keeps the price artificially high; it is pretty much on par with new Bortnikoff in terms of price. Personally I have zero problem with sellers who are selling stuff off to fund new purchases or even to pay the bills. It's scalpers and as mentioned chancers artificially inflating prices that are an annoyance to many. If only we had a time machine.
    Currently wearing: Bang by Marc Jacobs

The other annoying thing is a lot of the discontinuations sneak up fast..you think you have time. I remember almost all of us were blindsided by the RIVE GAUCHE drop.
    True. That said, for me in that precise case, while I find RG to be great, it has never cracked my top 10. I'm glad I own on a bottle , but also glad I've spent only $80 on that one.

There’s been a recent round of IFRA regulations, so a lot of companies may think it would be easier to discontinue some lines than to try to reformulate.

The number of people actually affected by the recent restricted/banned ingredients is probably miniscule compared to how many people aren’t affected at all. IFRA regulations banning these ingredients is like using a sledge hammer to crack a walnut. I guess it makes sense if your business is selling sledge hammers...

Who is IFRA made up of? The answer will make you chuckle but you’ll need to look that up yourselves.

IFRA aside, there is also the matter of companies clearing the least profitable fragrance lines from their portfolios to make way for the new.

Also anything that can create deep positive feelings and emotions in people is slowly but surely being removed from the world in an effort to dumb down populations whether that’s good music, film, perfume or words. I’ve said too much... Enough for today kids.
    Currently wearing: Castile by Penhaligon's

Tell me, have you noticed this recent uptick? What are your thoughts? Or is it just me?
    Honestly, I have noticed that once in my life. When Tom Ford Bois Rouge was discontinued. I think it should've been named as Fucking Divine ))))
    But, why even bother? There are lots of good options out there.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

What are your thoughts? Or is it just me?

Thanks
    That's why IMO it's important to get a fragrance as soon as it comes out, if you can, as one never knows when it will be discontinued.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Unless something has very recently changed that I'm unaware of Dior Homme (Original) is not discontinued, but seems to only be on the Dior France website.

Honestly, it probably doesn't sell well outside of the fragcom. It's a pretty unisex smelling scent and I'm pretty sure your average Joe going into a department store won't see the appeal behind a scent from 15 years ago that smells lipsticky. As much as basenoters and fragranticans lambaste the new 2020 Dior Homme, its much more in line with the kind of scent that the average guy (or his wife would) would buy after sampling at a department store. As much as it sucks, if a product doesn't move well I can understand their motivation for axing it.

Hopefully though Dior has not completely discontinued this and have instead done what they do with many of their scents which is limit them to the European market. Grey market retailers often get their hands on these so hopefully it'll still be available to buy for years to come, even if not super easy to obtain
    Formerly known as BeardedBarbershopFan - Still have a beard and still a barbershop fan

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Yeah, that was one of the more recent ones that really got me depressed even though I believe it's still being produced in limited quantities in Europe. I never expected Intenso to be around long though as I felt it was a bit too different for the mainstream tastes of today. Intenso was also quite bashed on here for certain reasons when it first came out. I think many in the fragrance community made a mistake on this one. I found it to be one of the best designer releases in years, although I was always a huge Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme fan! Intenso might not be vintage Pour Homme but it put a new spin on the Pour Homme DNA & I loved it! When I found out it was no longer being sold in America I snagged a few backups. Unfortunately I can't do that with much else. I just don't have the funds. Ugh..
    If you have a CVS closeby, you can get this for a good price with all of the coupons CVS sends out. If you're a rewards member.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Plus when you're an old MFer like me you wonder if you'll ever crack into the backup bottles.

Agreed. I’m 53. I own maybe 2 that I’ll finish. Viking and GIT.
    Currently wearing: Invictus by Paco Rabanne

I wasn't impressed by this. It felt like a fusion or two outdated genres - light, designer, herbal woody-tobacco elements of 'The One', and an aquatic watery base. It smells like it was designed for men who dislike fragrance, a 'safe' buy for Father's Day or for your father at Christmas. It had a big marketing push, with Colin Farrell, so it's not as if they didn't try to make it sell - they did. It's just nowhere near as impressive as The One.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Also anything that can create deep positive feelings and emotions in people is slowly but surely being removed from the world in an effort to dumb down populations whether that’s good music, film, perfume or words. I’ve said too much... Enough for today kids.
    This is the sad reality.

The nature of fragrance is, if you find something that bucks the trend, value it accordingly.

If you have 100+ bottles of fragrance but don't buy several 'back ups' of your favourite scent, then there's only one person to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolScents View Post
    Unless something has very recently changed that I'm unaware of Dior Homme (Original) is not discontinued, but seems to only be on the Dior France website.

Honestly, it probably doesn't sell well outside of the fragcom. It's a pretty unisex smelling scent and I'm pretty sure your average Joe going into a department store won't see the appeal behind a scent from 15 years ago that smells lipsticky. As much as basenoters and fragranticans lambaste the new 2020 Dior Homme, its much more in line with the kind of scent that the average guy (or his wife would) would buy after sampling at a department store. As much as it sucks, if a product doesn't move well I can understand their motivation for axing it.

Hopefully though Dior has not completely discontinued this and have instead done what they do with many of their scents which is limit them to the European market. Grey market retailers often get their hands on these so hopefully it'll still be available to buy for years to come, even if not super easy to obtain
    It would make sense if they did the whole 'managed decline' thing of saying "oh no, we're still keeping the original Dior Homme, we're just changing it to be Dior Homme original..." to avoid the backlash as they slash the rest of the 'lipstick Diors' from their back catalogue. Then, 12-18 months later, the original Dior Homme slips away quietly to ensure there's no confusion and the new Dior Homme 2020 is given its desired place as THE main fragrance designed to make the brand money.

Also, if we think it's bad now, complaining about the discontinuation of something like Gucci Envy - one of the biggest designer fragrances during its time of release - imagine what it will be like in 20 years time.

Considering how many people have chosen to wear niche or exclusive fragrances from houses/brands that are smaller than Gucci, I can see there being a far bigger issue with discontinuations than there is now. How difficult, and costly, will it be to acquire a bottle of something made by Zoologist or MDCI or Rogue?

It's something to think about. We're living in hedonistic times, they can't last forever.

Stick with Chanel if you're worried about it.

Basenotes Plus

Hasn't there been a massive increase in fragrances being released within the past 10-25 or so years compared to the past though?

More output = more discontinuations later. It's maybe simply not viable as a business viewpoint (finances, brand image, etc.) to have such a wide variety available at once.

So if the output of perfumes has increased 3, 5, 10 times that of the past, expect up to 3, 5, 10 times the discontinuations.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!