Code of Conduct

Default Current Polo Green or vintage Jaguar for Men (wood cap)?

Current Polo Green 118ml is about 60 euros shipped.
    Vintage Jaguar for Men (wood cap) 75ml is about 50 euros shipped.

Any thoughts, comparisons? I've not smelled either, only the current Jaguar for Men. Warner/Cosmair Polos appear very hard to come by in Europe and the prices are in a completely different league.

According to many, the current Jaguar and Polo are quite similar. I happen to like the Jaguar, very old school, pungent, somehow balmy - reminds me of an 80's hotel with a dark green and brown interior. Certainly not a crowd pleaser in modern times, lol.
    Spray less, love more.

Default Re: Current Polo Green or vintage Jaguar for Men (wood cap)?

Jaguar is inferior to Polo imo especially the current formulation of Jaguar nothing exciting to smell Polo has more depth and smells way nicer. I don’t feel a worthy replacement for Polo exists other than Tom Ford Italian Cypress which I have never smelled but hear it’s a excellent take on this style. Modern Polo can be found in the newer stubby sprayer and the bottles say made in France on them and also in the made in USA bottles with the taller fire hose sprayer. I have enjoyed the made in USA bottles which can still be found and are quite strong and last all day, I hear good and bad things about the made in France bottles so I’ve stayed away. I think Polo would be your best all around excellent fragrance that delivers, Jaguar for Men with the wood cap is said to be nice and can still be found on eBay.
    Current Top Favorites:

Ralph Lauren Polo
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017
    Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Costume National Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Caron Le 3čme Homme
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

I've owned and swapped away bottles of vintage and current Polo. I have a bottle of vintage Jaguar and don't think I'll swap it. Draw your own conclusions.

(Seriously, though, Jaguar and Polo have very little in common and shouldn't be seen as alternatives to one another.)

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Jaguar is inferior to Polo imo especially the current formulation of Jaguar nothing exciting to smell Polo has more depth and smells way nicer.
    You mean also current Polo has more depth? Interestingly, I don't find the current Jaguar to lack depth. There can't be any moss now of course, but I find the pungency makes it tenacious enough. I can easily see why some/many people dislike it - I wouldn't call it "refined" but I personally like it. It doesn't really smell like anything else I own.
    Spray less, love more.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I have a bottle of vintage Jaguar and don't think I'll swap it.
    Have you compared it to the current Jaguar by any chance? I'm wondering if vintage Jaguar would be redundant to me, IF (and when) I'm not offended by the alleged cheap and synthetic nature of the newest Jaguar. If I like a smell, I like it - "synthetic" or not. Applies to Sex Appeal too, for example.
    Spray less, love more.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by motorcade View Post
    Current Polo Green 118ml is about 60 euros shipped.
    Vintage Jaguar for Men (wood cap) 75ml is about 50 euros shipped.

Any thoughts, comparisons? I've not smelled either, only the current Jaguar for Men. Warner/Cosmair Polos appear very hard to come by in Europe and the prices are in a completely different league.

According to many, the current Jaguar and Polo are quite similar. I happen to like the Jaguar, very old school, pungent, somehow balmy - reminds me of an 80's hotel with a dark green and brown interior. Certainly not a crowd pleaser in modern times, lol.
    If Cosmair Polo is difficult for you to find online, how about looking right here on BaseNotes? Add it to the "Fragrances Wanted" thread and also take a look at the splits board. I have personally swapped decants with several Basenoter's and it is a great way to discover hard to find or vintage fragrances.

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Jaguar is inferior to Polo imo especially the current formulation of Jaguar nothing exciting to smell Polo has more depth and smells way nicer. I don’t feel a worthy replacement for Polo exists other than Tom Ford Italian Cypress which I have never smelled but hear it’s a excellent take on this style. Modern Polo can be found in the newer stubby sprayer and the bottles say made in France on them and also in the made in USA bottles with the taller fire hose sprayer. I have enjoyed the made in USA bottles which can still be found and are quite strong and last all day, I hear good and bad things about the made in France bottles so I’ve stayed away. I think Polo would be your best all around excellent fragrance that delivers, Jaguar for Men with the wood cap is said to be nice and can still be found on eBay.
    Totally agree with everything here.
    I have tried current Jaguar and I don't think it's comparable at all to Polo, as Brooks stated. I should say that it's been well over a year since I tried Jaguar so I may try it out again, preferably in vintage forn.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Vintage Jaguar is mostly about a creamy orange sherbet accord, layered over coniferous greens and some tobacco. It's not a powerhouse.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by motorcade View Post
    Vintage Jaguar for Men (wood cap)
    This one for me by far.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Depends on whether you'd prefer an earthy green (Polo) versus an herbaceous one (Jaguar). I get a ton of basil out of Jaguar, it smells nice and it's pretty unique, but I think polo is the better scent of the two.

I find myself in the mood for Jaguar more often, but it rarely excites me when I wear it. Although less often, when the mood for Polo strikes me, few other fragrances give me such a visceral enjoyment
    Formerly known as BeardedBarbershopFan - Still have a beard and still a barbershop fan

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Vintage Jaguar is mostly about a creamy orange sherbet accord, layered over coniferous greens and some tobacco. It's not a powerhouse.
    Interesting. Sounds a little less musty than the current Jaguar from your description. I definitely get the creaminess in the current Jaguar too, which to me translates to not being as weak and thin like, say, current One Man Show. Not a lot of citrus though, which would be nice to have to give it a little "zing". As for the sherbet - I don't think I can sense that in the current at all.

I just might grab a bottle of vintage Jaguar. What I like about the current is that there's nothing else in my wardrobe that really smells like it. Obviously, I expect the vintage to be much better.
    Spray less, love more.

Inclined to recommend either with no second thoughts-however slightly inclined even more towards the Polo.
    Because of having paradoxically owned and/or tested both the vintage and the current formulation of Jaguar Green, have come to perceive Polo Green as more complex and even more classic- be it due to its older first release year, it comparative absence in the current personal wardrobe, a certain acquired olfactory fatigue (rather than taste) towards the frequently worn Jaguar Green and/or a combination of all these and more factors.
    Currently wearing: Bogart by Jacques Bogart

Thanks everyone for your input! I went for the wooden cap Jaguar for now, in part because the price was very good (25 euros).
    Spray less, love more.