Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anything noteworthy over at Ormonde Jayne?

I think I only know of 2 of their scents Man and Isfarkand or however it is spelled.

They might have only 2 men’s scents but I could be wrong.

Default Re: Anything noteworthy over at Ormonde Jayne?

I am a near crusader for ORMANDE JAYNE MAN. I had a horrific hospital stay last March and this was first purchase after being released. I bought a decant and ordered full bottle in the middle of the second wearing.

I love it. It is one a couple of scents I like so much, I wish I was working again to wear to office. I find it fresh with some punch, conservative but distinctive.

I like that I can't tell you it's kind of like....anything. I wouldn't exactly classify it as an office scent, but that's where I would wear the crap out of it.

Some have issues with longevity. It's fair to good on me.

This one just really set me off.

I keep trying to sample MONTABACO but every time I order a free sample on a Lucky Scent purchase, they don't seem to have it.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I am a near crusader for ORMANDE JAYNE MAN. I had a horrific hospital stay last March and this was first purchase after being released. I bought a decant and ordered full bottle in the middle of the second wearing.

I love it. It is one a couple of scents I like so much, I wish I was working again to wear to office. I find it fresh with some punch, conservative but distinctive.

I like that I can't tell you it's kind of like....anything. I wouldn't exactly classify it as an office scent, but that's where I would wear the crap out of it.

Some have issues with longevity. It's fair to good on me.

This one just really set me off.

I keep trying to sample MONTABACO but every time I order a free sample on a Lucky Scent purchase, they don't seem to have it.
    Hermès and Tom Ford have crazy markups over here in the Philippines. Tom Ford used to be on the cheaper side compared to other countries now a 50ml is near the US costs of a 100ml bottle and H24 is $162. The only niche store that I know of in the country just started stocking Ormonde Jaynes and the cost the same as in other countries. I might purchase from them instead of a heavily taxed designer fragrance. I can always wait to travel in the US for the H24.

Back to Ormonde Man I read it had some parts Tom Ford Oud Wood and some parts Marc jacobs bang. Would you say it is an Oud fragrance at least?

Montabaco is $$$$

Basenotes Junkie

I dont consider ormonde man to be an oud fragrance. Its a spice heavy aromatic fragrance where oud plays but a supporting role. The drydown has the classic ormonde feel of luxury body cream, perhaps due to the sandalwood and musk. I find the similar effect in Tolu and Taif, both outstanding releases from OJ.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

Quote Originally Posted by mistersmellgood View Post
    Hermès and Tom Ford have crazy markups over here in the Philippines. Tom Ford used to be on the cheaper side compared to other countries now a 50ml is near the US costs of a 100ml bottle and H24 is $162. The only niche store that I know of in the country just started stocking Ormonde Jaynes and the cost the same as in other countries. I might purchase from them instead of a heavily taxed designer fragrance. I can always wait to travel in the US for the H24.

Back to Ormonde Man I read it had some parts Tom Ford Oud Wood and some parts Marc jacobs bang. Would you say it is an Oud fragrance at least?
    I honestly don't think of it as an oud scent at all. I'm sure there is some oud aspect, but it's definitely NOT an oud prominent scent; certainly no barnyard or animalic notes.

I gush about this one but you should sample first. I'd wear it anytime but it strikes me as fairly business like, but with an edge. None of the other "boys in the office" will be wearing this and I like that about it. The note that stands out to me is the black hemlock which is a conifer/pine like note.

It's been awhile since I wore OUD WOOD and never tried BANG, so hard to make that judgement. In my scent memory, maybe slight resemblance to OUD WOOD. But it doesn't have that pronounced "bandaid" note I recall with OUD WOOD.

satyen above does a good job of describing the scent quite succinctly.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Montabaco is $$$$
    Yes I see that and the reviews and comments here are muddled...no one really raves about it, so I haven't really pursued it much.

Solid house. I like Geza Schoen's composition style and the company aesthetic. I concur that Ormonde Man is great. Ormonde Elixir is basically Ormonde Man with the addition of Cambodian oud. This is my favorite from the line, but if you do not like oud you may dislike Elixir. I did not enjoy Montabaco. Black Gold is excellent. Nawab of Oudh is great, but for one note that is a little off to my nose. Tolu is really great, but leans a bit feminine. I bought this for my wife actually and it smells great on her, but I do wear it occasionally myself. Cuir Imperial is excellent. I regret selling my bottle. Royal Elixir is pretty good too if you like osmanthus and jasmine.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Jcelello View Post
    Solid house. I like Geza Schoen's composition style and the company aesthetic. I concur that Ormonde Man is great. Ormonde Elixir is basically Ormonde Man with the addition of Cambodian oud. This is my favorite from the line, but if you do not like oud you may dislike Elixir. I did not enjoy Montabaco. Black Gold is excellent. Nawab of Oudh is great, but for one note that is a little off to my nose. Tolu is really great, but leans a bit feminine. I bought this for my wife actually and it smells great on her, but I do wear it occasionally myself. Cuir Imperial is excellent. I regret selling my bottle. Royal Elixir is pretty good too if you like osmanthus and jasmine.
    Interesting notes about ELIXIR. Mentally not sure I would like the introduction of an animalic oud into ORMANDE MAN, but may get a sample in future.

I think I tried BLACK GOLD and it just didn't grab me.

Yes I see that and the reviews and comments here are muddled...no one really raves about it, so I haven't really pursued it much.
    Let me help: Montabaco Intensivo is in my top 3 tobacco frags. Is it better now?

Interesting notes about ELIXIR. Mentally not sure I would like the introduction of an animalic oud into ORMANDE MAN, but may get a sample in future.

No animalic oud in Elixir. Just a creamy/saffrony soft oud (Think MFK Oud light) that is decently noticeable and improved performance. Man for the days, Elixir for the evening, that’s how I see that.

The only one I know if Ambre Royal, but I do really like it.
    Currently wearing: French Affair by Ex Nihilo

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Black Gold of those I have tried was interesting.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I own Man and Black Gold and think they're both well made.

Black Gold was a slow burn for me. It was a bit too subtle the first couple of times trying it, but the first time I wore it to the office it really grabbed me because I was able to focus on it more and for longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    No animalic oud in Elixir. Just a creamy/saffrony soft oud (Think MFK Oud light) that is decently noticeable and improved performance. Man for the days, Elixir for the evening, that’s how I see that.
    Nice way of putting it. I agree.

I think I only know of 2 of their scents Man and Isfarkand or however it is spelled.

They might have only 2 men’s scents but I could be wrong.
    Black Gold is my favorite from the house. I cannot at all get into Ormonde Man. Just did not like it no matter how many ways I tried to wear it. I liked Montabaco Intensivo quite a bit but had to sell it as the wife did not like it on me.

I also enjoy Tolu quite a bit and own a bottle. Definitely sample if you can.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

What about isfarkand?

Is there a freshie among the line up?

They discontinued Zizian right?

What about isfarkand?

Is there a freshie among the line up?

They discontinued Zizian right?
    I have a sample of Isfarkand and it never grabbed me. It's pleasant, but almost in a generic sort of way.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Isfarkand (or the intense version) is on my wish list, and the best of those I have tried. Yet to try Black Gold.
    It has a fresh lime opening.

Ormonde Woman (found it even better than men), Montabaco, 2 Nawab of Oudh, Black Gold, Isfarkand, Osmanthus and Tolu.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

I found Isfarkand ok, but overpriced for what it is. There are cheaper and more interesting citruses out there.

My favorites in the line are Tiare (citrus chypre) and Tolu (amber oriental).

cacio

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    My favorites in the line are Tiare (citrus chypre) and Tolu (amber oriental).
    100% on Tiare. I'm also dying to get my nose on Qi. Ormonde Jayne has a magical touch with osmanthus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcelello View Post
    Cuir Imperial is excellent. I regret selling my bottle.
    Sorry! I dont regret swapping for it!
    Oily, grungy leather with a dapper side.
    Unique!
    My opinions in weblog form: FragranceReviewer.com
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Basenotes Plus

Black Gold is the best Ormonde Jayne IMO

Basenotes Plus

Sorry Andy but I have to disagree, yes the Oud is tamed in Elixir, but it does have a slight animalic touch to my nose & def is more prominent than in MFK Oud.
    In fact I don't get any Oud in MFK Oud, only saffron & cedar.
    Make It Happen!

Current Top 10 Of All Time
    1.Encens Mythique d’Orient
    2.L’Heure Perdue XI
    3.Le Monarque II/Sultanate Of Oman/Pierre de Velay No. 1/Black Cashmere/Pearl Moon/Semi Bespoke 21/Parfum Royale No.1
    4.Candy Aoud/(Dior) Vetiver/Santal Noir/Great Britain/Correspondence/Dasman/Symphonium/Al-Khatt/Nuit de Bekelite/Richwood
    5.Les Sables Roses/Mon Patchouly/1996/EL/Vision In A Dream Psychedelic/Argentium Halo De Lune/Torc/FDB Velvet Amber
    6.L’Heure Mysterieuse XII/Au Hasard/#laislablanca/ Luci Ed Ombre/Tabac Rose/Russian Tea/Oud & Ambre
    7.Opus VI/Prolixe/Jump Up & Kiss Me Hedonistic/Alseif
    8.Le Monarque III/V/MAAI/Malesia/Absolue Pour le Soir/Ganymede
    9.Fetish Parfum Pour Homme/Dhajala
    10.Cuir Intense

Let me help: Montabaco Intensivo is in my top 3 tobacco frags. Is it better now?
    Ok it's back on the try to sample list now...

Nothing, imo!
    FREE AS THE WIND!

Almost nothing UN noteworthy at Ormonde Jayne. Orris Noir is amazingly spicy and original...but the classic house Signature Ormonde Woman (not necessarily feminine) and Ormonde Man are out of this world

Basenotes Plus

At the moment Ormonde Elixir is my favorite fragrance. Ormonde Man is great as well.
    The Elixir has almost got some kind of cotton candy sweetness up top, and creamy powdery dry down with sparkle in the mid. Really nice.

Anyone tried Taif Elixir? I generally dont go for rose forward scents, as the note seems to dominate compositions to me.
    I smell.