Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: The official Jeremy Fragrance fragrance thread Vol 2

Please let's not forget that not Jeremy himself created the men's fragrances but master perfumer Alberto Morillas!

I like a lot of Alberto Morillas' work, AdG Profumo, AdG Absolu Instinct (yeah I know the Norlimbanol...), Bvlgari Man in Black All Blacks, Bvlgari Man Black Orient... they are great!

Basically Jeremy is just deciding if he likes the samples he got from Alberto or not.
    And I guess one of the main criteria is if it's mass pleasing. So chances are there that people who even blindbuy them will like it.

Of course Alberto could also do some different stuff like with Gucci Guilty Absolute pH, Initio Blessed Baraka or Amouage Journey Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Varanis Ridari View Post
    Some people are just "built for speed" you know?
    Miami Jeremy is definitely built for speed. Judging by his most recent videos, I’m not sure he’s slept since he got to Miami

*Que up Glenn Fry’s You belong to the city*

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    Have you guys watched this?

https://youtu.be/d0BArlJsceM?t=255

Jeremy says that Office for Men costs $ 5,70 in production.
    Damnation, he really does say that. And then brags about it's retail price too.

It had been a while since I last saw him, and had forgotten how out-of-his-mind he can get.
    Currently wearing: Potion by Dsquared2

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Jeremy said that he wanted to have his own fragrance boutique in Miami.
    I guess you can order it from there or you visit him directly and eat a big wild salmon after having bought some fragrances there.
    Dude is obsessed with Miami, lol. It would take someone not from the U.S. to be obsessed with Miami. Because otherwise, good Lord, no.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Have you guys watched this?

https://youtu.be/d0BArlJsceM?t=255

Jeremy says that Office for Men costs $ 5,70 in production.
    I seriously cannot believe he not only admitted that but boasted about it! Kudos to him though for convincing legions of people to pay hundreds of dollars for something that cost him a cool fiver to produce.

I wonder how many fragrances cost that little to make in raw materials. Obviously true costs are higher because of the money spent on R&D, the countless hours a perfumer spends tinkering with the formula, the packaging costs, the marketing costs, etc. but it makes me wonder if for example each bottle of Bleu de Chanel only costs $5 to produce
    Formerly known as BeardedBarbershopFan - Still have a beard and still a barbershop fan
    Currently wearing: Vibrant Leather by Zara

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolScents View Post
    I seriously cannot believe he not only admitted that but boasted about it! Kudos to him though for convincing legions of people to pay hundreds of dollars for something that cost him a cool fiver to produce.

I wonder how many fragrances cost that little to make in raw materials. Obviously true costs are higher because of the money spent on R&D, the countless hours a perfumer spends tinkering with the formula, the packaging costs, the marketing costs, etc. but it makes me wonder if for example each bottle of Bleu de Chanel only costs $5 to produce
    For the size of the bottle you get, compared to the amounts and volume it is made in, that probably isn't too far off.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Dude is obsessed with Miami, lol. It would take someone not from the U.S. to be obsessed with Miami. Because otherwise, good Lord, no.
    Can't comment on that, I've never been to Miami - but I guess it's a nice place to live.
    Though I wouldn't run around only wearing a white speedo there.

Most fragrances are not even $2 per bottle (pure production costs), also most niche is under $5 per bottle unless you have some really expensive raw materials (real oud, ambergris, rose absolu etc.).
    If Jeremy really pays around $5 per bottle that's only because he doesn't sell huge amounts like Creed or MFK, who could do that cheaper then.

And of course it's clever marketing when telling his viewers they could also purchase fragrances for > $200 and then getting in contact with him personally via email and finally get a refund of 50%.
    In doing so, he ensures that buyers feel special and at the same time exposes the competition who do not offer such promotions, although they could also afford it due to the very high profit margins.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Wow, I've probably spent thousands on samples sadly. I'm ok with that, it's an expensive hobby. I don't know how you'd be able to sample and review many things without sampling them. Most places don't care who you are enough to even give you a free sample.
    I rarely spend money on samples. I'm lucky in that I live somewhere with great stores, and I've developed really great relationships with SAs at those stores. They know what I'm into and what I buy, so they're very generous with samples. I even buy apparel through my SA at the Dior beauty counter at Saks in order to keep a good relationship going with her.

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    I rarely spend money on samples. I'm lucky in that I live somewhere with great stores, and I've developed really great relationships with SAs at those stores. They know what I'm into and what I buy, so they're very generous with samples. I even buy apparel through my SA at the Dior beauty counter at Saks in order to keep a good relationship going with her.
    It may be a matter of "degree." The Cologneist has an enormous wardrobe and may be looking to score samples on a commensurate level.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 22nd March 2021 at 11:51 PM.
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: No. 89 by Floris

I actually give him credit for admitting that... I am sure there are some big initial costs that he needs to recoup (100k+), but still. If that's the margin for most fragrances, why should he be undercutting that? I also appreciate that he released one fragrance at a time. I realistically don't think you can do 5-6 bulk releases at one time and maintain the QA of something "exceptional".

All that said... the guy has lost all integrity with me with this YT Channel. Just pure volume, not even any consideration for what he is putting out (completely opposite to how he is doing his fragrance line).
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Banned

Default Re: Does Jeremy Fragrance has a misconception what it means to follow your inspiration & to be creat

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    It's a misconception that creating a designer fragrance usually envolves much of the perfumer's artistic expression. It should, in an ideal world, but in reality it's primarily driven by the desire to make a profit from it one way or another - a very calculated effort that most certainly takes into account the expectations of the target audience. Deliberately subverting expectations can be part of the calculation of course.
    Correct.

Default Re: Does Jeremy Fragrance has a misconception what it means to follow your inspiration & to be creat

Quote Originally Posted by vd86 View Post
    Jeremy isnt a fraghead anymore like he was 1-2 years ago.
    He is just about money and profit now.

Proof for that are his top 10 lists.
    As an example, He STILL promotes Sean john unforgivable, despite this stuff was taken over by Jacavi Beauty Group and got reformulated/watered down to the extreme. It lasts 30 minutes now. Its like that since over a year.

If he was a fraghead he would have known that Armaf Milestone should have taken that spot.

Same with the abysmal Nautica voyage.
    Same rehashed reviews and recommendations over and over... just an excuse to post a new video and be noticed it seems I asked to stop being recommended his stuff I never subscribed but still annoying as hell nothing new to see or be aware of!

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Same rehashed reviews and recommendations over and over... just an excuse to post a new video and be noticed it seems I asked to stop being recommended his stuff I never subscribed but still annoying as hell nothing new to see or be aware of!
    He will need to get involved in some polemic again if he aspires to keep under the spotlights. The competition is cruel nowadays.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Quote Originally Posted by flame-2020 View Post
    " the misconception that a perfumer should please people and their expectations,"

Well, when you look at fragrances like Bleu de Channel, Aqua di Gio and Sauvage, it's clearly not a misconception.

I'm tempted to say 'who cares'?

Quote Originally Posted by Gurahl View Post
    I'm tempted to say 'who cares'?
    An entire army.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    An entire army.
    Exactly.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader
    Currently wearing: The Dreamer by Versace

Banned

Are these actually in shops in the UK? I barely remember what non-essential shops looked like by now.

Jeremy once said that Prada L'Homme Intense would be Batman's signature scent.
    So he says now that the world doesn't need Batman?
    Now i am shocked!
    How dare he!

The guy posts like 10 videos a day, he changes opinions like some people change clothes. I haven't watched him seriously since the whole Ferrari/patreon debacle. He sure knows how to work his crowd, I'll give him that.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Hoover View Post
    The sooner this fad dies down, the better.

True, I hardly watch any review videos anymore. I'd rather read reviews from users on here.
    It's hard to find a review on youtube that doesn't come from someone either given free product or paid or coming from someone who aspires to get free product and/or paid. "Influencers" are just hypemen.

I dont get the personal hate for him. Like after reading, one accuses him of doing drugs, or hoping he would fall. I do not know the guy, I do not wish him ill. His lifestyle, his personality, it is none of my business... It seems to attract a lot of people though. Good for him.

I do not really trust his reviews. Like for example, he once said the best leather fragrance is Mercedes Benz VIP Club- Black Leather, but the on another video, he said it is Bentley Intense. Maybe he did change his opinion, I dont know. Maybe he is just kissing ass to fragrances that his favorite perfumers made.

What he does for me though is he may mention new fragrances that I have not heard of, which makes me research more about it. Plus he probably bring new people to the hobby... people who might just want a fragrance idea, but ended up being more interested. So I cant fault him for that.

Quote Originally Posted by flame-2020 View Post
    With that said he obviously has the misconception that a perfumer should please people and their expectations!

Frédéric Malle would disagree with your take, and agree with Jeremy that fragrance is supposed to please and seduce. It has to smell sexy:

https://the-talks.com/interview/frederic-malle/
    Mr. Malle, do you consider seduction to be an essential part of perfumery?

Perfume has to be a magnet. It says, “Come to me.” It’s one of those languages that people speak but they don’t understand. Think of it like this: you get dressed like this in the morning, and you feel comfortable b**ecause this is how you want to appear. But then at the end of the day, you take it off. With perfume, you don’t even take it off! You are in bed with a girl and she’s attracted because it’s part of your scent — it empowers you even in your bed. It’s a fourth dimension.
    https://www.hautesofabulous.com/blog...-the-interview
    Perfumery is always about seduction. Thanks god there are many ways to seduce. Life would be too boring otherwise! I would never publish something under the name of Editions de Parfums that I didn’t think was super chic, timeless and very sexy.
    https://www.elle.com/beauty/makeup-s...lle-interview/
    WHAT'S THE KEY TO A GREAT EAU?

It's very simple. When I make a fragrance, I want it to make the person who wears it sexier. You can be sexy in many different ways, but you still have to smell like a human being. A lot of flower scents stay on top of people, like they're wearing a room spray. But the classics enhance the skin and generate sex appeal.
    https://www.racked.com/2017/6/26/158...me-los-angeles
    Ultimately, though, he thinks young people will want good fragrances because of, well, sex. “People have not stopped sleeping with one another. And perfume is like the salt and pepper to sex appeal, and to the act itself. I’m not worried about that,” says Malle. “What is worrying is to keep on having people that don’t do their jobs properly, either because they’re mass and they’re selling image rather than perfumes or because they are bad indie brands that don’t know what they’re doing. But I think if you do things well, they will come.”
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001...71092999495754
    "We make fragrances to make people desirable," he said. "The endgame is to make people sexy. Anybody thinking otherwise is doomed to fail. You have to make people more sexy than they are."

The goal to make a sexy fragrance, or make people feel or appear sexier, doesn't necessarily amount to pleasing people or meeting their expectations.

The goal to make a sexy fragrance, or make people feel or appear sexier, doesn't necessarily amount to pleasing people or meeting their expectations.
    If convincing yourself this makes you feel better, then I won't stop you.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    This.
    That didn't take long. Case closed, M'lud.
    Currently wearing: La Colonia by Oliver & Co.

Your quip makes no sense. But I'm sure that posting it made you feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by imm0rtelle View Post
    If convincing yourself this makes you feel better, then I won't stop you.
    Goofball quips aside......There's nothing there in your quotes that directly references pleasing people and their expectation. Quip or no quip, (if it makes you feel better? lol), the references posted arguably did nothing.

Don't take it personally, my guy, it's just an observation.

Your quip makes no sense. But I'm sure that posting it made you feel better.

Goofball quips aside......There's nothing there in your quotes that directly references pleasing people and their expectation. Quip or no quip, (if it makes you feel better? lol), the references posted arguably did nothing.

Don't take it personally, my guy, it's just an observation.
    Oh dear, I seem to have offended you. I think you are a bit confused, so let me try to clarify how Jeremy and Frédéric share a similar philosophy as creative directors in releasing pleasing fragrances to their customers.

Frédéric Malle is clearly saying that when he is creatively directing his fragrances, he makes sure the perfumer's final product will be perceived as sexy and appropriate to be used for seduction. Now when the customer perceives the scent as sexy, Frédéric hopes that it will elicit enough pleasure for the customer to purchase the product. It doesn't matter how the fragrance smells, if it is does not please the customer. This connects to the idea that Frédéric makes sure his perfumer is able to please his customers with their creations. He has no interest in releasing fragrances that he knows will not be pleasing to his customers. That much is crystal clear, but in case it isn't I will endeavour to break it down further for you, so just ask.

Can't you just post info without trying so hard to come across as a know it all quip machine? Lol. Calm down, man.
    Just share info and be cool. The parts of the post that aren't related to the info and topic at hand? Let it go.

Can't you just post info without trying so hard to come across as a know it all quip machine? Lol. Calm down, man.
    Just share info and be cool. The parts of the post that aren't related to the info and topic at hand? Let it go.
    I just find it funny that one of the most well regarded niche house's creative director also subscribes to the same "bro" philosophy that Jeremy is hated for. At the end of the day, for almost all brands, fragrances are commercial products. Jeremy uses the panty dropper euphemism, while Frédéric straight up says they're made for sex and seduction in mind, which is similar language PUAs would use. Personally, I appreciate Frédéric keeping it real and honest. I'm not a snob that will look down on something as silly as that. If it smells good, it smells good. If it smells bad, it smells bad. There seems to be an anti-Jeremy thread every other week on Basenotes. There might be more gossiping here than actual fragrance discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by imm0rtelle View Post
    I just find it funny that one of the most well regarded niche house's creative director also subscribes to the same "bro" philosophy that Jeremy is hated for. At the end of the day, for almost all brands, fragrances are commercial products. Jeremy uses the panty dropper euphemism, while Frédéric straight up says they're made for sex and seduction in mind, which is similar language PUAs would use. Personally, I appreciate Frédéric keeping it real and honest. I'm not a snob that will look down on something as silly as that. If it smells good, it smells good. If it smells bad, it smells bad. There seems to be an anti-Jeremy thread every other week on Basenotes. There might be more gossiping here than actual fragrance discussion.
    Right on, man. It's a considerable scale, IMO, about the intention of wearing something sexy and seductive.....all the way down to creating something from a focus group. That's all I'm saying. I don't disagree with you as far as what Fred is doing.
    And I don't think anyone here is negative toward JF just for the sake of it. It looks to me more of an observation of what he has done/is doing.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast