Code of Conduct

Default Old School yes, but I LOVE the smell of "Z-14"

Hi all,

I have two bottles (both purchased/found nearly full/new for Pennies on the dollar at Thrift Shops) of Halston Z-14. Tonight, just for myself, I decided to wear this (seldom worn/reached for) Classic Halston Cologne. I sprayed a few good sprays about my Neck/Face/Chest/Wrists and I just have to say, Man, I LOVE the smell of Z-14 ! I'm thinking the next time I place an order with the likes of "FragranceNet" and need to include a "IN-expensive" item to "bump up" the total cost so as to include FREE shipping, I think I'll order and give (the other) Halston a try, I speaking of Halston 1-12. I understand that 1-12 is also suppose to be a pretty darn good Fragrance as well. Thoughts ?

SixCats!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Old School yes, but I LOVE the smell of "Z-14"

Glad to hear that you love your Halston and I imagine you will also like the other one you are contemplating. For me though, I personally never liked anything made by this house.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Glad to hear that you love your Halston and I imagine you will also like the other one you are contemplating. For me though, I personally never liked anything made by this house.
    Hi hednic,

Really ? Not a fan eh ? That's ok. Not everybody going to like everything!

SixCats!

Used to wear each in the early 80’s

Love the older Z-14. It's an excellent fragrance. I also have the most recent and while it's not as good as the vintage Z-14, it's still not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    Used to wear each in the early 80’s
    Hi ya finsfan,

It's been a long time since I've said "hello". I hope all's well. Wow, you too a member since 2003. Pray tell, did you prefer Z14 or I-12 , 1-12 over Z14 or equally both ?

Regards,
    SixCats!

Quote Originally Posted by Scent Detective View Post
    Love the older Z-14. It's an excellent fragrance. I also have the most recent and while it's not as good as the vintage Z-14, it's still not too bad.
    Hi SD,

Man, I'd love to smell some original/older Z-14. The bottles I have are perhaps less than ten years old. I think it's nice but, I suspect nowhere near as strong as the stuff in the day!

SixCats!

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Halston 1-12 and Z-14 were among the first fragrances I tried when I seriously started getting into fragrances, around 2015.

1-12 was great, but it took several years for me to appreciate it past its top notes.

Z-14 always smelled wonderful on paper, but on my skin it felt merely like a cinnamon bomb. I started to really like it when I smelled it in the wild during a very cold winter season. It's probably one of my favorite cold weather fragrances.

So yeah, I only love it when it gets "activated" in cold, wet weather.

Sound Scents

The Z-14 vintage stuff smells great, and is a superb value.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    7) Nombre Noir (Shiseido)
    8) Lucifer (Renaissance Fragrances) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

I like Z-14 OK, but I’m more of a 1-12 guy.
    Currently wearing: Yram by Mary Chess

Hi Guys,

Ummmmm, I'm going to have to give I-12 a try for sure!

SixCats!

Own both in vintage form and enjoy both equally. Haven’t tried the newer I-12 but the new Z-14 has too much cinnamon for my taste...

Truth be told, my favorite from the house is Halston Limited. I’m a rose fan and this one is done just right. I find it to be somewhat dark, moderately resinous and incredibly grounding. If you can sample it, I’d highly recommend it.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

Quote Originally Posted by SixCats View Post
    Hi ya finsfan,

It's been a long time since I've said "hello". I hope all's well. Wow, you too a member since 2003. Pray tell, did you prefer Z14 or I-12 , 1-12 over Z14 or equally both ?

Regards,
    SixCats!
    It has been a long time. And a long time since I remember which I may have preferred. I did have them both. One thing that is disappointing is that a scent now, like Paco Rabanne, does not smell like my memory remembers it

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    It has been a long time. And a long time since I remember which I may have preferred. I did have them both. One thing that is disappointing is that a scent now, like Paco Rabanne, does not smell like my memory remembers it
    Hi ff,

I hear ya my friend, indeed. I have waaay too often experienced that same disappointment with so many of my Favorite Colognes of the past such as (circa early 2000's) Creed Millesime Tabarome (which I so LOVED back in the day) and truly saddened by the likes of todays YSL "KOUROS" to be sure. It is disappointing how these once wonderful Colognes have changed (not for the better). While still good, even my beloved L'Artisan "Dzing!" has been waaaay toned down (missing a lot of it's original FUNK) from days past. Some might suggest it's just our old fading memories lol, however, I know that's not the case.

SixCats!

Thank you for sharing this post, relating even more so since both Z-14 are 1-12 long term personal favorites.

With Z-14 being even more of a personal favorite would still own and purchase multiple backups of and also regularly wear even if being blessed at some point with an ideal wardrobe of hundreds or even thousands of bottles in the hundreds or thousands of USD/GBP/EUR per bottle price range.

No matter how inexpensive and openly old school both of these fragrances are, to my nose they are a worthy addition to any classic scent lineup, admirably standing out and holding their own for so long after their first release.
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Thank you for sharing this post, relating even more so since both Z-14 are 1-12 long term personal favorites.

With Z-14 being even more of a personal favorite would still own and purchase multiple backups of and also regularly wear even if being blessed at some point with an ideal wardrobe of hundreds or even thousands of bottles in the hundreds or thousands of USD/GBP/EUR per bottle price range.

No matter how inexpensive and openly old school both of these fragrances are, to my nose they are a worthy addition to any classic scent lineup, admirably standing out and holding their own for so long after their first release.
    Hi Ken,

You are most welcome Sir Ken. I agree with your comments. I too find Halston Z-14 a most worthy addition to my collection as well. I ESPECIALLY love the opening of Z-14.

SixCats!