Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 41
  1. #1

    Default Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

    Was at a fish restaurant last night and there was a disconnect between my meal and the scent I was wearing (will not disclose name of scent out of respect). It was a teaching moment for me.

    What scent goes best when eating a a nice fish restaurant. I had shrimp, lobster and tuna if that helps.
    Thank you God for guiding me the way you want to guide me.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Best restaurant when eating fish?

    Quasar by J del Pozo.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Best restaurant when eating fish?

    Hi Camron,

    Man, this is a tough call. As much as I LOVE Fragrances, when I go out for Seafood Dinner (I live in Maine) I try (but often fail) not to wear a Fragrances so as to not have the scent interfere with my (or others) dining experience. Please note, this is ESPECIALLY true (basic etiquette) if one dines out at a authentic Japanese Sushi Restaurant and (ESPECIALLY) more true if one sits directly at the Sushi Bar ! (I.E. no Cologne/Perfume/Cell Phones/no LOUD talking, no fancy drinks) etc. Ones who display this type of behavior is considered LOW Class. This is almost as bad as Sushi patrons filling that little bowl too full of Shoyu (Soy sauce) and mixing in copious amounts of "Wasabi" and then dipping/ soaking their Sushi (or Sashimi) in this concoction. This is an insult to the skill and knowledge of the Sushi Chef (of course, the Chef will never say so). This is almost as bad as the Guy who removes the Chop Sticks from the package, then proceed to split them apart (so far so good) and then, quickly ROLLS them back in forth together in the Palms of their Hands, in an attempt to show, God knows what ? Sorry, end of rant. That being said (call me a Hypocrite) the Mrs. and I dined out the other night (Wife's Birthday Dinner) having Seafood (not Sushi Bar) and I was in fact wearing Cologne. I had sprayed on one of my Favorite Colognes several hours earlier before Dinner. I chose Christian Dior "Eau Sauvage" (2012). By the time we were seated to enjoy our Dinner, the "Eau Sauvage" had mellowed out nicely and it didn't really interfere with my Food. Besides, my drinking two (English Imperial) Pints of Guinness as well as a Spicy Bloody Mary, it didn't matter much lol. So, on the whole, I would suggest (if you're going to wear a Fragrance) I'd go light on the sprayer and perhaps wear a lighter Fragrance straight out the gate (or apply Cologne hours earlier). Oooh, Fish ? Go LEMON!


    SixCats!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Best restaurant when eating fish?

    When pairing aromas and food, go for something that'll blend in rather than contrast.

    Something fresh and zesty and relatively unsweet, like Dior Eau Sauvage EDT (lemon and herbs), would be the way to go. Maybe a classic EDC.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Best restaurant when eating fish?

    I don’t like eau sauvage. I have the parfum which is better but still not of my faves at this time. Any other suggestions?
    Thank you God for guiding me the way you want to guide me.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Best restaurant when eating fish?

    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I don’t like eau sauvage. I have the parfum which is better but still not of my faves at this time. Any other suggestions?
    Like I said: lemon and herbs, very little sweetness. (In general, think about what you'd cook fish with.)

    Plenty of iconic variations on that theme out there, pick the one that works for you!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

    I agree with others, lemon goes well with fish. From my own collection, I would go with AdP Colonia or Essenza, Creed Erolfa, or Kilian Vodka on the Rocks. I don't own it, but Profumum Acqua Viva would be great too.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

    Double post mistake.

    SixCats!

  9. #9
    Super Member annetteo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    United kingdom
    Posts
    492

    Default Re: Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

    IMG_20210227_161922.jpgyou won't go far wrong with this rare version of Spongebob Square pants... A particularly good batch.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    923

    Default Re: Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

    This is maybe kind of a weird thing to say, but, a couple of years back I went out to eat at Red Lobster one night, and I wore YSL "Mon Paris!" EDP.
    (The original one..I think there are flankers now too but it wasn't one of those.)
    Oddly, I felt like the sweet n' sour patchouli-rose-citrus-strawberry combo of that particular scent meshed particularly well in that restaurant!
    Like, I have no idea why, but I felt like I was particularly enjoying my scent that night! (And my food! lol)

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    923

    Default Re: Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

    I agree that lemon or lime scents seem like a good idea too..or maybe something herbal? Like..something that smells like basil? Or mint?

  12. #12
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    340,584

    Default Re: Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    What scent goes best when eating a a nice fish restaurant.
    For me, whichever scent I'm wearing on that day.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

    Epice Marine, it will spice the fish for you!

  14. #14
    Common Lackey

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Land of Shrimp&Grits
    Posts
    8,297

    Default Re: Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

    Eau d'Orange Verte

    Eau de Campagne

  15. #15
    Basenotes Plus
    bklow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    545

    Default Re: Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

    Out of my own wardrobe, I would probably reach for Heeley Sel Marin.

  16. #16
    Basenotes Plus
    Fernaldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    211

    Default Re: Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

    Squid - Zoologist
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates
    Currently wearing: Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf

  17. #17
    Dependent Francolino's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South of No North
    Posts
    8,077

    Default Re: Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

    M/ mink
    FREE AS THE WIND!

  18. #18

    Default Re: Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

    Maybe anything apart from too heavy, formal, sweet/gourmand and/or leathery scents.
    However something fresh, be it of the aquatic type like Insese Ultramarine or most male Kenzo, minty like Cartier Rodaster or bright yet timelessly tasteful citrus apart from
    Eau Sauvage, for example Lalique White, Best of Chevignon, Cerruti 1881 Edition Blanche, Azzaro PH l'Eau, Eau de Rochas, could likely be suitable.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

  19. #19

    Default Re: Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

    Quote Originally Posted by annetteo View Post
    IMG_20210227_161922.jpgyou won't go far wrong with this rare version of Spongebob Square pants... A particularly good batch.
    YES!!!!! THIS!!!!

    There isn't enough room deodorizer in the world that would cover and neutralize the smell of fish for me (disclaimer: I am severely allergic to a lot of seafood. Salmon once tried to kill me. My body warns me for that by being disgusted by the smell of seafood)
    Currently wearing: New-York by Nicolaï

  20. #20

    Default Re: Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

    Selection Verte by Creed would be nice. It's fresh and citrusy and not overpowering...light on the sprays and you're good to go!
    Currently wearing: Orage by Louis Vuitton

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    923

    Default Re: Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

    I think "Twilly D'Hermes" might be really great too!
    Ginger and seafood can smell awesome together!

  22. #22
    Basenotes Plus

    purecaramel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    in a garden with 7 senses
    Posts
    5,095

    Default Re: Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Eau d'Orange Verte

    Eau de Campagne
    These.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

  23. #23

    Default Re: Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

    I like anise/fennel/tarragon with fish (Pernod makes a nice fish sauce), something a bit unexpected from the usual citrus pairing and has a pleasing freshness.

  24. #24
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Seoul, Korea
    Posts
    172

    Default Re: Best restaurant when eating fish?

    Quote Originally Posted by SixCats View Post
    Hi Camron,

    Man, this is a tough call. As much as I LOVE Fragrances, when I go out for Seafood Dinner (I live in Maine) I try (but often fail) not to wear a Fragrances so as to not have the scent interfere with my (or others) dining experience. Please note, this is ESPECIALLY true (basic etiquette) if one dines out at a authentic Japanese Sushi Restaurant and (ESPECIALLY) more true if one sits directly at the Sushi Bar ! (I.E. no Cologne/Perfume/Cell Phones/no LOUD talking, no fancy drinks) etc. Ones who display this type of behavior is considered LOW Class. This is almost as bad as Sushi patrons filling that little bowl too full of Shoyu (Soy sauce) and mixing in copious amounts of "Wasabi" and then dipping/ soaking their Sushi (or Sashimi) in this concoction. This is an insult to the skill and knowledge of the Sushi Chef (of course, the Chef will never say so). This is almost as bad as the Guy who removes the Chop Sticks from the package, then proceed to split them apart (so far so good) and then, quickly ROLLS them back in forth together in the Palms of their Hands, in an attempt to show, God knows what ? Sorry, end of rant. That being said (call me a Hypocrite) the Mrs. and I dined out the other night (Wife's Birthday Dinner) having Seafood (not Sushi Bar) and I was in fact wearing Cologne. I had sprayed on one of my Favorite Colognes several hours earlier before Dinner. I chose Christian Dior "Eau Sauvage" (2012). By the time we were seated to enjoy our Dinner, the "Eau Sauvage" had mellowed out nicely and it didn't really interfere with my Food. Besides, my drinking two (English Imperial) Pints of Guinness as well as a Spicy Bloody Mary, it didn't matter much lol. So, on the whole, I would suggest (if you're going to wear a Fragrance) I'd go light on the sprayer and perhaps wear a lighter Fragrance straight out the gate (or apply Cologne hours earlier). Oooh, Fish ? Go LEMON!


    SixCats!
    Agree with this.

    The exception would be wearing "light" natural fragrances like Di Ser. I've often worn Di Ser (which has a Japanese aesthetic) to omakase and other Japanese restaurants without issue.
    Currently wearing: Kyara by Di Ser

  25. #25
    Basenotes Plus

    CapriDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Saigon, Vietnam
    Posts
    14,426

    Default Re: Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

    A dab of fish sauce on both wrists. You are welcome.

  26. #26
    Sillage Monster
    Trilby Lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    7,256

    Default Re: Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

    For me, Le Lion de Chanel, Diorella, or Gabrielle. All are light and bright, with a citrus quality.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

  27. #27
    Basenotes Institution
    sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    46,957

    Default Re: Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

    Dior Homme Cologne

  28. #28
    Dependent RedRaider430's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,223

    Default Re: Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

    While eating, I prefer to just smell the Cheddar Bay Biscuits and Shrimp Scampi.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

    Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

  29. #29

    Default Re: Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scent Detective View Post
    Selection Verte by Creed would be nice. It's fresh and citrusy and not overpowering...light on the sprays and you're good to go!
    I'd add Erolfa or Millesime Imperial.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  30. #30

    Default Re: Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Was at a fish restaurant last night and there was a disconnect between my meal and the scent I was wearing (will not disclose name of scent out of respect). It was a teaching moment for me.

    What scent goes best when eating a a nice fish restaurant. I had shrimp, lobster and tuna if that helps.
    Hardly think it would be a sign of disrespect to merely mention the name of the scent you felt did not match the ambiance of a fish restaurant. It would probably be of some interest




Similar Threads

  1. Best scent while eating shabu shabu
    By cameron in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 28th August 2018, 10:15 AM
  2. which perfume to wear? seafood dinner tonight.
    By hedonist222 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 18th May 2011, 07:26 AM
  3. Long-lasting tuberose on scent-eating skin
    By Genge in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 17th March 2011, 10:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000