Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

Was at a fish restaurant last night and there was a disconnect between my meal and the scent I was wearing (will not disclose name of scent out of respect). It was a teaching moment for me.

What scent goes best when eating a a nice fish restaurant. I had shrimp, lobster and tuna if that helps.
    Thank you God for guiding me the way you want to guide me.

Default Re: Best restaurant when eating fish?

Quasar by J del Pozo.

Hi Camron,

Man, this is a tough call. As much as I LOVE Fragrances, when I go out for Seafood Dinner (I live in Maine) I try (but often fail) not to wear a Fragrances so as to not have the scent interfere with my (or others) dining experience. Please note, this is ESPECIALLY true (basic etiquette) if one dines out at a authentic Japanese Sushi Restaurant and (ESPECIALLY) more true if one sits directly at the Sushi Bar ! (I.E. no Cologne/Perfume/Cell Phones/no LOUD talking, no fancy drinks) etc. Ones who display this type of behavior is considered LOW Class. This is almost as bad as Sushi patrons filling that little bowl too full of Shoyu (Soy sauce) and mixing in copious amounts of "Wasabi" and then dipping/ soaking their Sushi (or Sashimi) in this concoction. This is an insult to the skill and knowledge of the Sushi Chef (of course, the Chef will never say so). This is almost as bad as the Guy who removes the Chop Sticks from the package, then proceed to split them apart (so far so good) and then, quickly ROLLS them back in forth together in the Palms of their Hands, in an attempt to show, God knows what ? Sorry, end of rant. That being said (call me a Hypocrite) the Mrs. and I dined out the other night (Wife's Birthday Dinner) having Seafood (not Sushi Bar) and I was in fact wearing Cologne. I had sprayed on one of my Favorite Colognes several hours earlier before Dinner. I chose Christian Dior "Eau Sauvage" (2012). By the time we were seated to enjoy our Dinner, the "Eau Sauvage" had mellowed out nicely and it didn't really interfere with my Food. Besides, my drinking two (English Imperial) Pints of Guinness as well as a Spicy Bloody Mary, it didn't matter much lol. So, on the whole, I would suggest (if you're going to wear a Fragrance) I'd go light on the sprayer and perhaps wear a lighter Fragrance straight out the gate (or apply Cologne hours earlier). Oooh, Fish ? Go LEMON!

SixCats!

When pairing aromas and food, go for something that'll blend in rather than contrast.

Something fresh and zesty and relatively unsweet, like Dior Eau Sauvage EDT (lemon and herbs), would be the way to go. Maybe a classic EDC.

I don’t like eau sauvage. I have the parfum which is better but still not of my faves at this time. Any other suggestions?
    Thank you God for guiding me the way you want to guide me.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I don’t like eau sauvage. I have the parfum which is better but still not of my faves at this time. Any other suggestions?
    Like I said: lemon and herbs, very little sweetness. (In general, think about what you'd cook fish with.)

Plenty of iconic variations on that theme out there, pick the one that works for you!

Default Re: Best scent when eating in a seafood restaurant?

I agree with others, lemon goes well with fish. From my own collection, I would go with AdP Colonia or Essenza, Creed Erolfa, or Kilian Vodka on the Rocks. I don't own it, but Profumum Acqua Viva would be great too.

Double post mistake.

SixCats!

IMG_20210227_161922.jpgyou won't go far wrong with this rare version of Spongebob Square pants... A particularly good batch.

Banned

This is maybe kind of a weird thing to say, but, a couple of years back I went out to eat at Red Lobster one night, and I wore YSL "Mon Paris!" EDP.
    (The original one..I think there are flankers now too but it wasn't one of those.)
    Oddly, I felt like the sweet n' sour patchouli-rose-citrus-strawberry combo of that particular scent meshed particularly well in that restaurant!
    Like, I have no idea why, but I felt like I was particularly enjoying my scent that night! (And my food! lol)

Banned

I agree that lemon or lime scents seem like a good idea too..or maybe something herbal? Like..something that smells like basil? Or mint?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

What scent goes best when eating a a nice fish restaurant.
    For me, whichever scent I'm wearing on that day.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Epice Marine, it will spice the fish for you!

Common Lackey

Eau d'Orange Verte

Eau de Campagne

Basenotes Plus

Out of my own wardrobe, I would probably reach for Heeley Sel Marin.

Basenotes Plus

Squid - Zoologist
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates
    Currently wearing: Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf

M/ mink
    FREE AS THE WIND!

Maybe anything apart from too heavy, formal, sweet/gourmand and/or leathery scents.
    However something fresh, be it of the aquatic type like Insese Ultramarine or most male Kenzo, minty like Cartier Rodaster or bright yet timelessly tasteful citrus apart from
    Eau Sauvage, for example Lalique White, Best of Chevignon, Cerruti 1881 Edition Blanche, Azzaro PH l'Eau, Eau de Rochas, could likely be suitable.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by annetteo View Post
    IMG_20210227_161922.jpgyou won't go far wrong with this rare version of Spongebob Square pants... A particularly good batch.
    YES!!!!! THIS!!!!

There isn't enough room deodorizer in the world that would cover and neutralize the smell of fish for me (disclaimer: I am severely allergic to a lot of seafood. Salmon once tried to kill me. My body warns me for that by being disgusted by the smell of seafood)
    Currently wearing: New-York by Nicolaï

Selection Verte by Creed would be nice. It's fresh and citrusy and not overpowering...light on the sprays and you're good to go!
    Currently wearing: Orage by Louis Vuitton

Banned

I think "Twilly D'Hermes" might be really great too!
    Ginger and seafood can smell awesome together!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Eau d'Orange Verte

Eau de Campagne
    These.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

I like anise/fennel/tarragon with fish (Pernod makes a nice fish sauce), something a bit unexpected from the usual citrus pairing and has a pleasing freshness.

Quote Originally Posted by SixCats View Post
    Hi Camron,

Man, this is a tough call. As much as I LOVE Fragrances, when I go out for Seafood Dinner (I live in Maine) I try (but often fail) not to wear a Fragrances so as to not have the scent interfere with my (or others) dining experience. Please note, this is ESPECIALLY true (basic etiquette) if one dines out at a authentic Japanese Sushi Restaurant and (ESPECIALLY) more true if one sits directly at the Sushi Bar ! (I.E. no Cologne/Perfume/Cell Phones/no LOUD talking, no fancy drinks) etc. Ones who display this type of behavior is considered LOW Class. This is almost as bad as Sushi patrons filling that little bowl too full of Shoyu (Soy sauce) and mixing in copious amounts of "Wasabi" and then dipping/ soaking their Sushi (or Sashimi) in this concoction. This is an insult to the skill and knowledge of the Sushi Chef (of course, the Chef will never say so). This is almost as bad as the Guy who removes the Chop Sticks from the package, then proceed to split them apart (so far so good) and then, quickly ROLLS them back in forth together in the Palms of their Hands, in an attempt to show, God knows what ? Sorry, end of rant. That being said (call me a Hypocrite) the Mrs. and I dined out the other night (Wife's Birthday Dinner) having Seafood (not Sushi Bar) and I was in fact wearing Cologne. I had sprayed on one of my Favorite Colognes several hours earlier before Dinner. I chose Christian Dior "Eau Sauvage" (2012). By the time we were seated to enjoy our Dinner, the "Eau Sauvage" had mellowed out nicely and it didn't really interfere with my Food. Besides, my drinking two (English Imperial) Pints of Guinness as well as a Spicy Bloody Mary, it didn't matter much lol. So, on the whole, I would suggest (if you're going to wear a Fragrance) I'd go light on the sprayer and perhaps wear a lighter Fragrance straight out the gate (or apply Cologne hours earlier). Oooh, Fish ? Go LEMON!

SixCats!
    Agree with this.

The exception would be wearing "light" natural fragrances like Di Ser. I've often worn Di Ser (which has a Japanese aesthetic) to omakase and other Japanese restaurants without issue.
    Currently wearing: Kyara by Di Ser

Basenotes Plus

A dab of fish sauce on both wrists. You are welcome.

Sillage Monster

For me, Le Lion de Chanel, Diorella, or Gabrielle. All are light and bright, with a citrus quality.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Basenotes Institution

Dior Homme Cologne

While eating, I prefer to just smell the Cheddar Bay Biscuits and Shrimp Scampi.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by Scent Detective View Post
    Selection Verte by Creed would be nice. It's fresh and citrusy and not overpowering...light on the sprays and you're good to go!
    I'd add Erolfa or Millesime Imperial.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Was at a fish restaurant last night and there was a disconnect between my meal and the scent I was wearing (will not disclose name of scent out of respect). It was a teaching moment for me.

What scent goes best when eating a a nice fish restaurant. I had shrimp, lobster and tuna if that helps.
    Hardly think it would be a sign of disrespect to merely mention the name of the scent you felt did not match the ambiance of a fish restaurant. It would probably be of some interest