Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Do you have any favorites in the Maison Dior line?

Hi all,

I was thinking of sampling a few of these come Spring and would be interested in hearing any suggestions or impressions, positive or negative. I'm more interested in the line's feminine-leaning fragrances but any thoughts or comments are welcome.

Francois Demachy reportedly has a knack for 'luxurious simplicity' - upgrading banal structures with excellent raw materials and tweaking them until they sing. I also like the way the Dior website separates the line's fragrances into orientals, florals, light florals, etc. and rates and describes their intensity. It's quite practical for a luxury line and gives a better idea of how the fragrances will smell.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default Re: Do you have any favorites in the Maison Dior line?

Three that I've worn and enjoyed were Rose Gipsy, Jasmin des Anges, and New Look 1947.

Rose Gipsy is just one rose option. I also like the Miss Dior Rose N'Roses.

Jasmin des Anges and New Look 1947 are reserved, which I think works.

I tend to think this line is nice, but nothing makes me go gaga.

The only one I have tried is Gris Dior and I did like it.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Iris Prima by Penhaligon's

The Maison Christian Dior line are the exclusives?
    I like some of the strong ones a lot (Leather oud, Oud ispahan), not even sure they still exist. Recently, the line went all the way into light, pastel florals, which are nice, but really nothing shines. Among these, I though Lucky was a fresh summery lily of the valley (miles away from vintage Diorissimo, of course).

cacio

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wingie View Post
    Hi all,

I was thinking of sampling a few of these come Spring and would be interested in hearing any suggestions or impressions, positive or negative. I'm more interested in the line's feminine-leaning fragrances but any thoughts or comments are welcome.

Francois Demachy reportedly has a knack for 'luxurious simplicity' - upgrading banal structures with excellent raw materials and tweaking them until they sing. I also like the way the Dior website separates the line's fragrances into orientals, florals, light florals, etc. and rates and describes their intensity. It's quite practical for a luxury line and gives a better idea of how the fragrances will smell.
    For you I'd suggest Gris Dior (previously Gris Montaigne). It's a nice dry floral perfume, chypre-ish.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Cologne Blanche and Santal Noir
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Sillage Monster

I don't have a lot of experience with the line, but I own and love Oud Ispahan. The Oud is tame but it lends weight to the scent.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks everyone for your replies. I would like to try a lot of the scents mentioned here!

Basenotes Junkie

A lot of good options but the only one that I would be willing to pay full price for is ambre nuit. If ur an oud lover then oud ispahan.
    Cuir cannage is slowly climbing the charts for me too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

Cuir Cannage was definitely a standout if you like leather. Is it discontinued, guys?

But the two I thought I would most wear were Bois d’Argent and Le Colle Noire.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Feve Délicieuse would be my favorite with Ambre Nuit and Oud Ispahan following closely behind it. These are more in the middle.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Ambre Nuit, Gris Montaigne/Dior, Mitzah, Cuir Cannage, Fève Délicieuse, La Colle Noire, Gipsy Rose, Rouge Trafalgar and minis of Patchouli Imperial, Purple Oud and Santal Noir are in my collection.
    Currently wearing: Anima Dulcis by Arquiste

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I think for me, Tobacolor has the potential to be up there with the other ones I especially admire and previously mentioned.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution

Ambre Nuit
    Feve Delicieuse
    Mitza
    Cuir Cannage
    Granville
    Bois D'Argent
    Patchouli Imperial
    Eau Noire
    Cologne Royale
    Own and enjoy all of these.

Blog Entries

I liked a lot of the old lineup, but I am confused as to which ones are even still in production, especially since they have, apparently, changed some names, along with discontinuing some of them. I loved Feve Delicieuse, Bois d’Argent, Mitza, and the amber rose whose name I cannot remember. Cuir Cannage was also outstanding.

My impression is that the new versions and lineup are unfortunately not as good. I won’t be out smelling perfume until probably next fall at the earliest, so I can’t personally confirm this. I hope i am wrong ..: it seems like even the “exclusives” are becoming less interesting these days. Please do tell if you find something good, I do so want to be wrong about this
    "Put on some red lipstick, and live a little."--Dita Von Teese
    current avatar: the incomparable Annie Lennox ❤️❤️❤️
    Currently wearing: Futur by Robert Piguet

Basenotes Plus

Thanks everyone. Out of the ones that have been mentioned, I think Granville and Mitzah are the only ones that have been discontinued as they're not on the Dior website. The rest of them are but another BN'er informed me that some of the Maison Diors aren't available in all countries or regions.

It looks like a lot of people prefer the earlier releases over the new lighter florals, so I don't think you're alone Khanada in thinking that the newer releases aren't as interesting. I would like to try the older releases too but was planning to try some of the lighter florals first just because we're moving into Spring and they would fit with the Season.

The most recent release, Tobacolor looks like it's a break with these lighter florals and more similar to the older releases, so maybe that's a good sign for this line. Maybe the lighter florals haven't been selling as well as Dior hoped.

Milly-La-Foret has been discontinued as well. Even those that were not discontinued have been reformulated to be appealing to non-perfume lovers. Leather Oud used to be an incredible animalic but is now just a standard mainstream oud, light and approachable. New Look 1947 is totally different, it's lost its creaminess, and is brighter and simpler. Oud Ispahan is much lighter. I think Bois d'Argent is probably the only one that has survived relatively unscathed.

Even if Tobacolor turns out to be good, it's likely to be in line with their new aesthetic: polished and approachable.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by chypre View Post
    Milly-La-Foret has been discontinued as well. Even those that were not discontinued have been reformulated to be appealing to non-perfume lovers. Leather Oud used to be an incredible animalic but is now just a standard mainstream oud, light and approachable. New Look 1947 is totally different, it's lost its creaminess, and is brighter and simpler. Oud Ispahan is much lighter. I think Bois d'Argent is probably the only one that has survived relatively unscathed.

Even if Tobacolor turns out to be good, it's likely to be in line with their new aesthetic: polished and approachable.
    Thanks for the insight, I did see that many of them appeared to be reformulated in 2018. Polished and approachable sounds more or less on par with what I was expecting, I think. A kind BN'er is sending me a sample of Bois d'Argent.

Basenotes Plus

I have Souffle de Soie, but since I'm not a floral lover I'm not able to judge this fairly. It's squarely in Demachy's "less is more" aesthetic, I can safely say that much. I'm adding it to this convo because I'm hoping someone else is able to add details.
    Screenshot 2021-03-05 101122.jpg

Just yesterday I bought another bottle of Fève Délicieuse - definitely not a spring scent.

Eau Noire. Game Over!

I'm liking the sound of Tobacolor also

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Rick58 & Beth62 View Post
    I have Souffle de Soie, but since I'm not a floral lover I'm not able to judge this fairly. It's squarely in Demachy's "less is more" aesthetic, I can safely say that much.
    Is the style similar to Jean-Claude Ellena's?

I believe the inspiration for Souffle de Soie was a delicate silk scarf lightly gracing the skin, so it does sound like this one would be a lighter scent.

In Europe Mitzah is still on the Dior website, but only in 250 ml as a collector’s item, along with Granville and Eau noire.

Basenotes Plus

Pretty sure Cuir Cannage is discontinued, as well.
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain