Code of Conduct

Default Masculine Tropical perfumes?

I’m in the middle of developing some perfumes of my own and one of the things I want to create is a tropical masculine fragrance. Being a woman that has so far leaned very femme in terms of perfume, I wanted to try some masc tropicals to see what notes Capture my vision.

I’m thinking something either gourmand with coconut, vanilla, spice, and banana notes,

Or something fresh with ocean salt, aquatic, citrus, and woody notes.

Any suggestions?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Masculine Tropical perfumes?

Perhaps something woody with exotic tropical fruits not commonly seen in fragrances.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by WitchingWell View Post

Or something fresh with ocean salt, aquatic, citrus, and woody notes.

Any suggestions?
    Additionaly, Mint and Ginger are notes that I often find pleasing, refreshing and potentiallty exotic if well done
    I'm thinking of those notes because I own Still Life in Rio which is very nice but I find them in other fragrances on regular bases with similar themes than yours
    Currently wearing: Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

Banned

I used to really like "Paradise" by Alfred Sung for men. I'm not sure if you can still get that one or not?
    It had great tropical fruit notes though!

I also like "Insurrection II Pure" from Reyane Tradition. The pineapple note smells great!
    Oh..and of course there is also "Aventus" for men from Creed..it's super expensive though.
    I feel like Insurrection II Pure smells extremely close to Aventus..and it costs a lot less!

A traditional tropical association in male perfumery is bay rhum, which you can find in many traditional aftershaves (the association is rhum=Caribbean).

Otherwise, there doesn't seem that much in masculine perfumery. There's certainly a lot of beach/fresh, though probably more often associated with mediterranean beaches rather than tropical (see the Light blue ad). But beaches are beaches, so marine notes seem always ok.

cacio

LOL...I initially thought this thread title said, "Masculine "Topical" Scents for Men", and I was going to say, "Well, aren't they all "topical" after all".

A nice "tropical" masculine fragrance on the other hand sounds very nice. How about a nice ripe mango with coconut or lime? Or, some ripe guava with coconut or lime? Or, a nice ripe papaya with coconut or lime?They need to be the ripe version though, as especially papaya's and guava's don't smell nearly as good when they're underripe as they do when they're nice and ripe.

A ripe guava note would be pretty gourmand however...

You will probably run into a lot of cliched combinations if combining notes that go together in real life.

Perhaps a salty sea breeze, mango and tobacco.

Or lemongrass, coconut, tobacco, sandalwood, benzoin.

MD > LA > NYC > Chicago > MSP > NYC > LA > Seattle

Adjatay popped into my head, but I'm sure there would be plenty of disagreement on whether it's masculine or not. It's bursting with tropical notes like ylang, tuberose, tonka, and jasmine.

Basenotes Institution

Bergamatto Marino

Perhaps something like Creed Millesime Imperial. Sea salt with marine notes accompanied by some kind of fruit.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Aramis New West
    FREE AS THE WIND!

The go-to cheapie is Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts.

If you're going more luxe, look to Arquiste Sydney Rock Pool.

Try Kenzo Pour Homme (despite it is a ghost of what it was once), L’Eau Par Kenzo, Hermès Un Jardin Sur Le Nil, En Méditerranée and Sur Le Toit, Acqua di Parma Colonia Pura, Guerlain Bergamote Calabria and Herba Fresca, Dior Balade Sauvage, Heeley Menthe Fraîche and Cocobello.
    Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo series is a must try for good ideas regarding tropical scents and Guerlain Aqua Allegoria as well (despite the Guerlain lean more towards the feminine side most of the times).
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Dependent

Paradise Tropical by Dixit and Zak. It’s a available through Luckyscent. Pandanus, tropical florals, saffron, and Oud. Really good stuff!
    Currently wearing: Lustre by Hiram Green

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Perhaps something like Creed Millesime Imperial. Sea salt with marine notes accompanied by some kind of fruit.
    I second this recommendation.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    A traditional tropical association in male perfumery is bay rhum, which you can find in many traditional aftershaves (the association is rhum=Caribbean).

Otherwise, there doesn't seem that much in masculine perfumery. There's certainly a lot of beach/fresh, though probably more often associated with mediterranean beaches rather than tropical (see the Light blue ad). But beaches are beaches, so marine notes seem always ok.

cacio
    I just want to add a disclaimer saying that "rum" fragrances don't always smell that much like actual rum though (although I guess this also just depends on your nose.)
    And..not all of them make me think "tropical" or "beach vacation" or "cruise ship."
    For example, I'm wearing "Dark Rum" EDP from Malin+Goetz perfumes today, and seriously..despite it's clever name, I really don't think it even smells like Caribbean rum!
    It makes me think of an herbal tea more than anything else, with a blend of flowery, herbal and wood notes!
    It's nice and soothing, and I think it makes a good calming aromatherapy scent (it actually reminds me quite a lot of Elizabeth Arden's White Tea EDT!)
    But..it really doesn't seem boozy or tropical or anything like that to me! Also...it's kind of soft and delicate, despite it's wood notes..definitely done in a more feminine way! So..it wouldn't be a good example of a tropical masculine either lol! But..I was just using it as an example to point out that just because a fragrance has the word "rum" in it's name, or even might have "rum" as a listed note, doesn't necessarily mean that it really smells realistically like rum! :/

Basenotes Junkie

Virgin island water

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

Beach Hut Man Amouage and K'Bridge Club Xerjoff could be a couple of nice choices

Cruz del Sur II by Xerjoff is pretty much exclusively a tropical fragrance. Also agree with the Creeds, MI and VIW, or even Erolfa which I find pretty similar to MI. I think Bortnikioff's Amber Cologne would work well in a tropical atmosphere as well.

Banned

Oh! Oh!
    Other ones I just thought of too are Pacific Lime or Lemon Island from Atelier Cologne!
    Pacific Lime for sure! It makes me think of margaritas on the beach or on the deck of a cruise ship like crazy!
    I haven't tried Lemon Island yet, but it's name is tropical! It's definitely supposed to have a vacation resort vibe!

Also adding Kenzo Jungle and Joop Nightflight

MD > LA > NYC > Chicago > MSP > NYC > LA > Seattle

I think Timbuktu kinda falls into this category as well. Mango, Patchouli, Papyrus, Karo Karounde, Vetiver... all of tropical origin.

Banned

I can't remember what it smells like, and it really isn't marketed as "tropical" or "beachy", but I also kind of wonder about Givenchy "Gentleman?'
    It has a pineapple note too, apparently, like Aventus. I can't remember how prominent it is though..it might be another one that's more "Mediterranean" in it's vibe, especially since it also has lavender notes.

Armani "Because it's You" totally smells like a can of dole pineapples..I think it's marketed to women though lol!

Correction: I think it's Armani "Stronger with You" for men that smells like Dole canned pineapples! XD
    Try that one! It's tropical too! lol

Banned

I just spritzed on a bit of Givenchy "Gentleman" (the current formulation) from the tester bottle at the store too.
    I would say that one is also a good recommendation for a "masculine tropical" scent. I can actually smell the pineapple note (its not overwhelming though.) It's nice.
    It reminds me of some of the Creed masculines too actually (from what I can remember of how they smell.) But its at a much better price point!