Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 91
  1. #1

    Default Houses that keep having price increases

    Around 2018/2019 I remember Tom Ford signatures being just a little over $100 usd retail and now they are $184??

    Did this start when they started bringing some of the private blends to the signature line?

    Creed of course I also remember being under $200 and now $300+ a bottle.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    Hermessence prices increase each year. Back in 2014, Cuir d'Ange was €185/100ml, now it's €240/100ml.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    I believe it's a never-ending story. Penhaligon's Portraits just went 10 pounds up.
    Sad, but that's the reality.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

  4. #4

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    Hi all,

    I too am upset at the outrageous cost of Fragrances (especially so called "Niche" Fragrances) in general. Not only are (too many) Fragrances ridiculously expensive/over priced, I'm sick and tired of the marketing of Fragrances in 30ml bottles. I understand the (Psychological concept) of this Marketing approach however, I just will NOT play this game! Two Fragrances that I have sampled (and VERY much liked) come to mind. One is Montecristo Eau de Parfum by Masque Milano and the other is "Oud Assam" Eau de Parfum
    by Rania J. I found both these Fragrances to be excellent however, I flat out refuse to pay upwards (or more) of one hundred fifty dollars for a (ESPECIALLY) 30ml (or 50ml) bottle of ANY Fragrance. If there is one upside to all this ridiculous pricing, it would be that this has become the driving force that motivates me to do deep research and seek out quality alternative lower cost/bargain/close out Fragrances. If I am to pay (I occasionally do) anywhere near the cost of one hundred dollars (or more) for a bottle of Cologne, it had damn well better come in a 3.4oz. bottle. End of rant! Thanks.

    SixCats!

  5. #5
    Dependent Man Of The World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Essex - But born & bred in good old East London
    Posts
    2,265

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    At this current moment in time I would say that Penhaligons fall into this category. Especially their portraits line. Such a vast difference in price between their standard fragrances and this one.
    Favorites
    Fahrenheit Parfum - Dior
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    Danger- Roja Dove
    Baraonda - Nasomatto
    Pardon - Nasomatto
    Jubilation XXV - Amouage
    Patchouli Intense - Parfums de Nicolai
    1962 - Floris
    Currently wearing: Oligarch by Roja Dove

  6. #6

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Hoover View Post
    Hermessence prices increase each year. Back in 2014, Cuir d'Ange was €185/100ml, now it's €240/100ml.
    Wtf you would think you were buying real estate

  7. #7

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    What houses have fair pricing? Please point me in their direction. Not cheap... fair.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    Quote Originally Posted by mistersmellgood View Post
    What houses have fair pricing? Please point me in their direction. Not cheap... fair.
    I don't believe it actually may have a relevant answer. No perfume can objectively const 200 Euro or more. Subjectively, however, that a completely different story. It something works for me and I can afford, it's fair.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

  9. #9

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    Penhaligons was mentioned. Their standard line has gone up almost 3 fold over the past 15 years alone. And that is their standard line not the even more expensive ones with the stupid looking tops. Their quality has also gone down. I used to like them now I have zero interest in them. Parfums Nicolai always seem to be raising their prices. A couple of years ago I started a topic about how over priced fragrances in general have become and a few people blasted me about it. But I don't care. Fragrances these days are ridiculously over priced in general. Couple that with the general decline in quality and I have lost a lot of interest in even trying new colognes.

  10. #10
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    340,051

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    Quote Originally Posted by mistersmellgood View Post
    What houses have fair pricing? Please point me in their direction. Not cheap... fair.
    Etat Libre D'Orange
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    Louis Vuitton raises prices once or twice a year. They're small increases, but they add up.

  12. #12
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    24,783

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    CREED, they never increase their prices.
    Currently wearing: Cuiron by Helmut Lang

  13. #13

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Etat Libre D'Orange
    Which one is your fave?

    I like the cologne. I tested fat electrician on 2 different occasions but I was dissuaded from a purchase.

  14. #14
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    340,051

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    Quote Originally Posted by mistersmellgood View Post
    Which one is your fave?

    I like the cologne. I tested fat electrician on 2 different occasions but I was dissuaded from a purchase.
    I'd say Rien.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry2 View Post
    Penhaligons was mentioned. Their standard line has gone up almost 3 fold over the past 15 years alone. And that is their standard line not the even more expensive ones with the stupid looking tops. Their quality has also gone down. I used to like them now I have zero interest in them. Parfums Nicolai always seem to be raising their prices. A couple of years ago I started a topic about how over priced fragrances in general have become and a few people blasted me about it. But I don't care. Fragrances these days are ridiculously over priced in general. Couple that with the general decline in quality and I have lost a lot of interest in even trying new colognes.
    Couldn't agree more, especially regarding Penhaligon's. With the exception of Sartorial, I wouldn't pay more than $50 for any of them, much less the ridiculous prices they retail for now. Though I do still enjoy trying new frags, even if the general quality and price/performance/value ratio is the worst it's ever been at the moment industry wide.

  16. #16
    Dependent ThVH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    1,160

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    Quote Originally Posted by mistersmellgood View Post
    What houses have fair pricing? Please point me in their direction. Not cheap... fair.
    Nicolaï! Especially since the 30mls are much fairer priced than other houses. Superb quality, top notch.
    Seconding ELdO - try Je suis un Homme, it is a real gem imo

  17. #17

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    When did men especially become brainwashed into spending so much for colognes and perfumes. Maybe brainwashed is too harsh a term, however back in the not too distant past the highest most guys would go for is the designers. And even that was considered going all out. It used to be mostly women that would over spend for cosmetic items, but it seems these days men over spend just as much as women do. Maybe even more so.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    Years ago I tried to explain the concept of niche perfumery to my dad

    Mind you he has more bottles than me

    He said

    Who would buy that?!

    He is a D&G PH guy

  19. #19

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    Quote Originally Posted by mistersmellgood View Post
    What houses have fair pricing? Please point me in their direction. Not cheap... fair.
    Fragrances of the Bahamas. They have been around a long time and they are very fairly priced. Nothing fancy but they have some real nice colognes.

  20. #20
    Super Member ImaFedec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    450

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    ELdO, Etro, Diptyque, Miller Harris, Comptoir Sud Pacifique, Histoire de Parfums (because of their various sizes and overall great quality), Mancera and Atelier Cologne seem to have fair prices for their offerings. I am not comparing with their evolution in time though, I am too new in the frag world to tell
    Currently wearing: Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

  21. #21

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    Quote Originally Posted by SixCats View Post
    Hi all,

    I too am upset at the outrageous cost of Fragrances (especially so called "Niche" Fragrances) in general. Not only are (too many) Fragrances ridiculously expensive/over priced, I'm sick and tired of the marketing of Fragrances in 30ml bottles. I understand the (Psychological concept) of this Marketing approach however, I just will NOT play this game! Two Fragrances that I have sampled (and VERY much liked) come to mind. One is Montecristo Eau de Parfum by Masque Milano and the other is "Oud Assam" Eau de Parfum
    by Rania J. I found both these Fragrances to be excellent however, I flat out refuse to pay upwards (or more) of one hundred fifty dollars for a (ESPECIALLY) 30ml (or 50ml) bottle of ANY Fragrance. If there is one upside to all this ridiculous pricing, it would be that this has become the driving force that motivates me to do deep research and seek out quality alternative lower cost/bargain/close out Fragrances. If I am to pay (I occasionally do) anywhere near the cost of one hundred dollars (or more) for a bottle of Cologne, it had damn well better come in a 3.4oz. bottle. End of rant! Thanks.

    SixCats!

    Do you know any alternatives to Montecristo? Haven’t got the chance to try it. Reviews are good.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    Couldn't agree more, especially regarding Penhaligon's. With the exception of Sartorial, I wouldn't pay more than $50 for any of them, much less the ridiculous prices they retail for now. Though I do still enjoy trying new frags, even if the general quality and price/performance/value ratio is the worst it's ever been at the moment industry wide.
    When I first discovered Penhaligons around 2005, they were charging about 45 dollars a bottle retail for a 50 ml and about 65 dollars for a 100 ml. And they did not have that stupid line of colognes with the gaudy tops. I immediately fell for Bleinheim Bouquet, Lords/Duoro and English Fern. Back then they were still a charming little English fragrance company. These days I don't know what they are.

  23. #23
    Dependent allkindsofwatches1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,264

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    Quote Originally Posted by SixCats View Post
    Hi all,

    I too am upset at the outrageous cost of Fragrances (especially so called "Niche" Fragrances) in general. Not only are (too many) Fragrances ridiculously expensive/over priced, I'm sick and tired of the marketing of Fragrances in 30ml bottles. I understand the (Psychological concept) of this Marketing approach however, I just will NOT play this game! Two Fragrances that I have sampled (and VERY much liked) come to mind. One is Montecristo Eau de Parfum by Masque Milano and the other is "Oud Assam" Eau de Parfum
    by Rania J. I found both these Fragrances to be excellent however, I flat out refuse to pay upwards (or more) of one hundred fifty dollars for a (ESPECIALLY) 30ml (or 50ml) bottle of ANY Fragrance. If there is one upside to all this ridiculous pricing, it would be that this has become the driving force that motivates me to do deep research and seek out quality alternative lower cost/bargain/close out Fragrances. If I am to pay (I occasionally do) anywhere near the cost of one hundred dollars (or more) for a bottle of Cologne, it had damn well better come in a 3.4oz. bottle. End of rant! Thanks.

    SixCats!
    AMEN!!

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    Basenotes Institution
    sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    46,911

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    All of them have seem to increase prices.
    Last edited by sjg3839; 1st March 2021 at 12:49 AM.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry2 View Post
    When I first discovered Penhaligons around 2005, they were charging about 45 dollars a bottle retail for a 50 ml and about 65 dollars for a 100 ml. And they did not have that stupid line of colognes with the gaudy tops. I immediately fell for Bleinheim Bouquet, Lords/Duoro and English Fern. Back then they were still a charming little English fragrance company. These days I don't know what they are.
    I didn't sample any Penhaligons until 2011. Really enjoyed English Fern as well, along with Castile, Endymion and of course Sartorial. As recently as 2018 you could still find testers of most Penhaligons in the $50 range or even below. I think they were bought out by Puig or another big conglomerate a few years ago. I guess they decided they were going to start marketing the line as more "upscale" and started restricting grey market distribution. Maybe $50 is a little cheap, but certainly the retail prices they charge now are ridiculous in my opinion since most of the line are either outright eau de cologne strength fragrances, or very moderate performing frags at best. I do regret not stocking up on Sartorial when you could still buy testers all day in that $50 to $60 range.

    I agree with others that appreciate houses like Nicolai and Histoires de Parfums, that at least offer 30ml or 15ml sizes at a more reasonable price. Although I do agree that Nicolai's prices have gone beyond what I'm willing to pay, even for something like NY Intense, that I consider to be a flat out masterpiece. I will cut Nicolai a little bit of slack though, because I feel like the ingredient quality, performance and overall blending of the fragrances (even the ones I don't enjoy as much, like Patchouli Intense) are outstanding. And even their reformulations, like the orginal New York, are still very good quality. I do however, have a big problem with houses like Dior and Chanel, who have not only reformulated fragrances for the worse, but continue to raise prices as well.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry2 View Post
    When I first discovered Penhaligons around 2005, they were charging about 45 dollars a bottle retail for a 50 ml and about 65 dollars for a 100 ml. And they did not have that stupid line of colognes with the gaudy tops. I immediately fell for Bleinheim Bouquet, Lords/Duoro and English Fern. Back then they were still a charming little English fragrance company. These days I don't know what they are.
    Yeah Castile or English fern are not bad for those prices. They were out of my radar by the time they did the gaudy bottle heads.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    What about Designer houses?

  28. #28
    Dependent
    techt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    South Lake Tahoe
    Posts
    6,869

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    CREED, they never increase their prices.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    I mentioned this before, but in the early 2000's, Creed 4.0oz bottles could be found at Saks, Neiman Marcus, et al for $170 - $180. Their prices jumped upon the release of Virgin Island Water to $220. They've subsequently seemed to have gone up every now and then since (and let's not forget the downsizing of the bottles to 3.3oz, too.) I still have a few and recently purchased VIW again, but I bargain hunt and don't pay full retail, especially when they have quality (batch) issues.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

  30. #30
    Dependent Foamywax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    2,133

    Default Re: Houses that keep having price increases

    Strange how no one is talking about designer prices going up..Guerlain and Boucheron go for around 100$ for a 100ml bottle these days..I'm talking about retail ofcourse..
    Dior is not cheap either. But they are probably the best when it comes to designer along with Guerlain and Chanel.




Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Upcoming price increases
    By cazaubon in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13th January 2021, 09:49 PM
  2. Creed Price Increases!
    By FlashingBlade in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 16th July 2018, 08:16 AM
  3. Creed boutique price increases
    By tyler-durden in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 9th August 2014, 05:37 PM
  4. Opium PH, price increases, discontinued soon?
    By TheOpiumJuices in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 5th August 2014, 09:04 AM
  5. Fragrance price increases: Why, and are they reasonable or just greed?
    By Akahina in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 19th March 2014, 01:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000