Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Your favorite cdg?

I’m thinking of getting vettiveru and 2man. Vettiveru was recommended to me before and 2 man I have sniffed before.

Is Scent One Hinoki better than 2man?

What else should I test?

Default Re: Your favorite cdg?

2 Man is my favourite from CdG and imo a more well-rounded fragrance than Hinoki, which I like but don’t love. 2 Man is incense, candle smoke, Vetiver, spice and honey. Hinoki is camphorous woods throughout.

Some others I’d recommend sampling:

2 - Strange, metallic and inky but a great Spring fragrance. I get Vetiver, rose and magnolia.
    Avignon - “The” incense fragrance.
    Black - Licorice, birch tar and smoke. Very dark and smoky, with the licorice giving a point of difference.
    Sugi - Eucalyptus, pine, incense and iris. Starts bracing and woody and ends on soft iris and incense - very interesting.

Avignon is my favorite CdG.

mystic1

Quote Originally Posted by Jcelello View Post
    Avignon is my favorite CdG.
    + 1

Vettiveru is nice but not too different to a whole host of other vetivers in a very saturated market. Fairly straightforward vetiver. Good price nonetheless. Not sure how Vetiverru 2 might differ

I can only recommend extensive sampling from this house. Original EDP, Incense series, Monocles, Synthetic series, Black, Artek all well worth exploring.

The uniquely shaped bottles tend to be more interesting than the pebble bottles (at least as of the last decade or so)

Avignon

Quote Originally Posted by ION-ONE View Post
    Vettiveru is nice but not too different to a whole host of other vetivers in a very saturated market. Fairly straightforward vetiver. Good price nonetheless. Not sure how Vetiverru 2 might differ

I can only recommend extensive sampling from this house. Original EDP, Incense series, Monocles, Synthetic series, Black, Artek all well worth exploring.

The uniquely shaped bottles tend to be more interesting than the pebble bottles (at least as of the last decade or so)
    I am expecting vettiveru to be much much lighter than what is out there

Almost like a mugler cologne

Am I off?

Avignon is the one that smells like loccitane eau de baux right?

BLACK, hands down!
    FREE AS THE WIND!

AVIGNON has kind of become THE incense scent. Odd side note: AVIGNON is Morrissey's signature scent and evidently people who attend his concerts in the few rows bomb themselves in it.

BLACK is not really my thing but certainly bold. Kind of smoky, campfire, licorice. S T R O N G
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: Black Suede by Avon

Can someone tell me which is better..Black or Amazing green? I've found Black for a good price and I'm not very familiar with it but I've heard it's really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersmellgood View Post
    I am expecting vettiveru to be much much lighter than what is out there

Almost like a mugler cologne

Am I off?
    It's not all that light. Even though it's in the Cologne series it wears more like an EDT. Think rooty green Vetiver with cedar some very slight florals and supporting aroma-chemicals. I like it!
    Not really like Mugler as not soapy

Blog Entries

I don't have much experience with the brand, but I'd probably go with Wonderwood.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersmellgood View Post
    Avignon is the one that smells like loccitane eau de baux right?
    No, Avignon is like straight up church incense. Bone dry frankincense.

Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    Can someone tell me which is better..Black or Amazing green? I've found Black for a good price and I'm not very familiar with it but I've heard it's really interesting.
    Black is charred wood, licorice and incense... Amazing Green is an herbal light concoction... had a bottle when it first came out but was an incredibly boring scent...
    FREE AS THE WIND!

I have owned 2 Man, Kyoto, and Blue Cedrat. I really liked 2 Man, though it's similar to l'Occitane Eau des Baux and Aesop Marrakech, which are better and cheaper. Kyoto was nice, but more of a room scent IMO. I appreciate how fun and different CdG is, however none of the scents appealed to me over the long term.

Rouge, 2Man, and Kyoto are very nice
    Avignon is a little too simplistic for me, but still great
    I don‘t like Black, it smells like brown sauce to me, although I thought I‘d love it.
    Rouge is the best of the ones I‘ve tried.
    Last edited by ThVH; 28th February 2021 at 06:25 PM.

The incense line, by some margin. Avignon is the pick.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

1994 EDP
    My opinions in weblog form: FragranceReviewer.com
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Many excellent ones from this house, but if I had to pick one I would go with CdG 2 Man.
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami Vetiver by Hermès

Quote Originally Posted by ION-ONE View Post
    It's not all that light. Even though it's in the Cologne series it wears more like an EDT. Think rooty green Vetiver with cedar some very slight florals and supporting aroma-chemicals. I like it!
    Not really like Mugler as not soapy
    Alright I see thanks for the feedback!

CdG 2 Man, Kyoto, Avignon, Ouarzazate, Back and Arek Standard.

How is Citrico?? There is a 500ml bottle on sale here quite cheap too..is it nice??

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Avignon
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I love CdG, and they have such a wide catalog and variety of scents it's hard to choose one. But I'd say most of them fall under the broad categories of incense, green/natural, and synthetic/experimental. I think the incense category has already been well spoken for here, and that seems to be some of their most popular offerings.

For green/natural, I'd say Vettiveru 2 is definitely a good option. It's a pretty straightforward woody citrus vetiver EdC, but the vetiver is very prominent. It doesn't have the soapy clean quality of Mugler Cologne or Creed OV, but it's still a refreshing vetiver-centric cologne. Lasts a fairly long time for an EdC and it's cheap enough you can overspray all day. I'd say Amazingreen is closer generally speaking to the clean, soapy green style. It does have the quirky gunpowder note, but it's got a nice, steamy green vibe. Play Green is another nice, refreshing mint and lime (and everything green) fragrance. But it doesn't quite stand out enough for me to buy a bottle. I think the best in this category are Hinoki and Laurel, both of which are more mature, developed, natural-smelling but also unique green/woody fragrances. They aren't super strong but they just smell classy and nice while retaining the originality of CdG.

For synthetic/experimental, one of my favorites is Odeur 71. I won't list all the notes here, just look it up (along with its sibling scent Odeur 53), but it's got a unique but very wearable combination of office supplies, electrical fuzz and light floral/woody notes. I'm expecting Tar in the mail this week so I'll be curious to try that, and Garage is another in that vein that I haven't smelled but at least sounds intriguing to me. There's also a recent series, "Clash," with some interesting synthetic and green "clashes" of notes - Celluloid Galbanum, Radish Vetiver and Chlorophyll Gardenia. I've only tried Radish Vetiver, which I own, but it's a weird and surprisingly wearable combination of earthy, rooty vetiver, geosmin, and a watery calone interpretation of radish.
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne

So far liked 2Man most and therefore more inclined to recommend this one
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Wonderoud and Wonderwood are both worth trying.

I honestly think Kyoto is better than Avignon. It's a little sweeter I guess but it develops so nicely.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    Black by a long way.Cannot stop sniffing my arm when I wear it. Spices, tar, licorice, vetiver and incense.
    AmazingGreen..... not so amazing.

In answer to the OP : Black, obviously ! But also Avignon, Zagorsk, Hinoki and Sugi.
    Spring is coming. Selecting from : Penhaligon's Elixir, Juniper Sling; Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta pour Homme EdT, Bottega Veneta EdP; Etro Heliotrope, Gomma, Dianthus, Palais Jamais. Aramis Tuscany; Knize Knize Ten, Hermes Equipage (vtg), Bel Ami, Prada Infusion d'Iris. Decants/samples - various fougeres
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Black it is then..sounds right up my alley!

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

2 Man
    Kyoto
    Black
    Would be my top 3. Whether Hinoki is better than 2 Man would depend on what you want from a scent. They’re very different. I like 2 Man better (dry woods, smoke, incense) but own a full bottle of Hinoki as well (steam, turpentine, cypress with a clean musky base).
    Sugi is good too, albeit lighter and airier than Hinoki.
    Wonderwood, Blackpepper, Vettiveru, Artek, Avignon are all also full bottle worthy in my book.

FWIW 2 Man smells nothing like Eau des Baux except for a very tangential shared incense. I found Baux to be unbearably sweet while 2 Man is bone dry.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.