Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Classic Scent

Default Classic Scent

I'm looking for a classic masculine fragrance. Kinda going back and forth on Azzaro pour homme, Pack Rabanne pour homme, and Polo Green. Which do you prefer and why? Any other suggestions?

Default Re: Classic Scent

Hi Wisco,

Welcome to the MADNESS! Wisco, I am going to highly suggest that you first search the many threads on this page to help guide you along in your search for Fragrances. There are HUNDREDS of threads with very useful information on this subject. Fragrances are such a "personal" thing it can often be difficult trying to find just what one likes/loves. I'm still learning and I've been a member here at BN for over eighteen years! Best of luck Wisco in your search/journey.

SixCats!

I prefer the Azzaro. Its just my favorite of the three and the best when considering current formulations.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Out of those my preference is for Paco Rabanne pour Homme, but mine is a vintage bottle. I haven't tried the current Paco. Between the current versions of Azzaro and Polo I'd go with the former.
    Currently wearing: Boy Chanel by Chanel

Blog Entries

In current formulations, I like them all except Paco Rabanne, it's too sharp and abrasive imo. While Polo has some sharpness to it, it calms down and smooths out for the most part. ApH is smooth straight through. Personally I'd consider checking out Loewe Esencia, it's like Polo but smoother, more mossy, more bold, and bordering on niche quality.

Azzaro Azzaro Pour Homme
    Ralph Lauren Polo

Rotate between both of them no need to choose, both excellent and this hobby doesn’t restrict how many you can have!
    Current Top Favorites:

Ralph Lauren Polo
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017
    Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Costume National Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Caron Le 3ème Homme
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP

Whichever you choose, I would seek vintage. Learn How to tell the vintage bottles/packages and go hunting on eBay or in the classifieds here. Mini’s of vintage paco & Azzaro are plentiful.
    All of them are great.

I really like the classic Chanel Allure Homme. Masculine, classy, maybe a bit understated. Not something you will smell everyone else wearing (at least not in the US).

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Opiate View Post
    Whichever you choose, I would seek vintage. Learn How to tell the vintage bottles/packages and go hunting on eBay or in the classifieds here. Mini’s of vintage paco & Azzaro are plentiful.
    All of them are great.
    + 1 - all 3 are available to sample in vintage form online. My preference from this list would be 1) Azzaro 2) Polo 3) Paco Rabanne.

Reasons why:

Azzaro - I prefer aromatic fougere’s and vintage Azzaro has the best qualities and blending from this genre. With Azzaro, the opening has a strong anise note. I love it, but many who dislike this fragrance is due to the powerful opening. No sweetness / mature 30 years old +

Polo - Similar to Azzaro, Polo has a huge number of ingredients that are well blended and simply just “smell good.” With Polo you need to enjoy the notes of Pine, Patchouli and ashy tobacco as they are prominent throughout. No sweetness / mature 30 years old +

Paco Rabanne - This one has a strong herbal / soapy quality to it that for many is the definition of its genre. It also has some sweetness in the base which can be a love or hate deal breaker for some. Mature 30 years old +

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Either Azzaro pour homme, Pack Rabanne pour homme would be a fine choice IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by WiscoMan View Post
    I'm looking for a classic masculine fragrance. Kinda going back and forth on Azzaro pour homme, Pack Rabanne pour homme, and Polo Green. Which do you prefer and why? Any other suggestions?
    I like them all in "vintage" form and don't care for their current formulations:

1. Polo Green (the current version is too sharp/harsh in my opinion - I prefer the older Cosmair version)

2. Azarro Pour Homme (the current version smells fine but its weak and watered down - I prefer the versions with the metal foil sticker on the front or the silk screened white logo)

3. Paco Rabanne Pour Homme (current version is way too sharp for my liking - prefer the version with the clear bottle, yellow juice, pale green box with white borders, old silver lowercase r logo on front of bottle )

Quote Originally Posted by Jcelello View Post
    I prefer the Azzaro. Its just my favorite of the three and the best when considering current formulations.
    I concur - Azzaro is the best in current formulation. Paco Rabanne makes a good bathroom spray.

Basenotes Institution

Polo Green. Just smells better IMO.

All good choices. Strangely, I would pick the same one, Paco Rabanne, whether getting vintage or buying current. It's definitely more green but unlike others I find it less sharp and a lot more well rounded.....
    Currently wearing: H.M. by Hanae Mori

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Polo for sure and no contest at all. Just a great blend of dark moss, pine, leather, tobacco and patchouli.

Azzaro is great as well. Paco, no. Not a fan at all.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme.

I'd suggest Chanel Antaeus, Guerlain Derby, Hermes Bel Ami, and Dior Jules as other classics for consideration.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Paco Rabanne.
    Do also check out Santos de Cartier and Caron Yatagan.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

1) Paco Rabanne Pour Homme
    This is just a very clean, soapy green smelling fragrance that gets a bit dirty and musk in the dry down. It's a clean/dirty macho fragrance.
    Patrick of Ireland and Bogart Signature are supposed to be similar to it.

2) Azzaro Pour Homme
    This is dirty throughout the drydown, and these days I find it too coarse of a scent.
    But if you like it, or want something similar I'd recommend Azzaro L'eau which is watery version of it, and Cuba Black, which is slightly sweeter on the anise with a hint of tobacco.

3) Polo
    I love this fragrance but it's rare when I reach for it. The version I have has a weird rubbery note in the middle, and takes a while to get to the good part of the dry down. I personally find it too challenging to wear keep in my regular rotation.

My recommendation of other "classic masculine" smelling fragrances:

Pasha de Cartier & Ralph Lauren Safari
    These both have a similar dry down. They came out in the early 90s but smell closer to the style of men's cologne from the 80s.

John Varvatos Artisan Acqua
    You know the smell when you first splash on some aftershave? That's what this smells like throughout the dry down. Very old school, and classic smelling.

IMG_20210301_133309_238.jpg

My favorite of those three is 100% Paco Rabanne, FRESH OUT OF THE SHOWER SMELL.

Current Antaeus, Heritage edt/edp, Lalique pour homme Lion edp, Egoiste and Santos Concentre edp are pretty classic to me!
    (the one you already mentioned as well of course, especially in one of their vintage formulations)
    My Top '12':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco/Aoud Vanille
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - Initio: Side Effect
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - Vermeil: Pour Homme

All 3 of these are classics and benchmark fragrances in the history of masculine perfumery. All three represent great entry points into the rabbit hole of old fragrances. Polo is the most dated smelling of the three and Azzaro is probably the safest as it smells the least dated. I've worn Azzaro the most of the 3, but currently Paco is my favourite. I've been on a Paco kick lately and it just might be sneaking into my top 5. Absolutely love the green herbal opening - lots of sage, rosemary and lavender that's backed up by a strong base of oakmoss & a honeyed musk.

Modern bottles are fine of all of these. You lose some power, some clarity and it smells overall more synthetic but no need to immediately jump into vintage. I own vintage and current bottles of all 3 and yeah vintage is better but the current gets you 90% of the way. Oakmoss is lost in all three of these current bottles and it is missed, but they do a suitable enough job replacing it.

There are lots of excellent older scents to explore and I'll list some more below, but I think those 3 would make fantastic starts. Some other great scents:

Havana
    Pasha
    Sung Homme
    Heritage
    Habit Rouge
    Bel Ami
    Equipage
    Quorum
    Krizia Uomo
    Anteaus
    Santos - regular or Concentree

If you end up developing a taste for older fragrances I'd recommend Kouros. It's hit or miss with people but those who connect with it are over the moon in love with Kouros.
    Formerly known as BeardedBarbershopFan - Still have a beard and still a barbershop fan

If having to choose only one of these, it would be likely a close combat between Azzaro PH and Paco Rabanne - though liking RL Polo green as well, still having the feeling of getting the most out of these two in their current formulations.

As alternative options, apart from many great ones already mentioned, also adding Boucheron pour Homme EDP, Knize Forest, Houbigant Fougere Royale to only name a few.
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Personally, Azzaro Pour Homme, Paco and then Polo Green would be my order of preference... As the Cologneist noted, Loewe Esencia would be a better selection than current Polo Green...

Along with the lovely suggestions listed already, perhaps Bogart Signature, Jaguar for Men, Aramis Gentlemen Line, Roger & Gallet Open/Black, Dunhill Edition, Bijan for Men, Anucci Man, may pique your interest.

Aramis and Antaeus for most of the year
    Eau Savage and Acqua di Parma for Summer
    Bel Ami Vintage For special occasions

All 3 in current formulation are shadows of their former selves... I'd try Alfred Sung homme! Still great in current formulation!
    Currently wearing: Pi by Givenchy

If it weren't the ashtray note of Polo, it would be my favorite. Then, Paco Rabanne is my favorite out of these.
    Suggestions: Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme, Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Tsar if you can find some, MFK Masculin Pluriel, L'Ocitanne Vetyver, Grey Vetiver, Cartier Santos and Pasha, Bel Ami, Equipage, Rocabar and Terre D'Hermès EDT (contemporary classic imo), Aramis 900, Guerlain Heritage and Derby, Chanel Antaeus, Amouage Epic...
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Touch for Men by Burberry

Basenotes Junkie

Paco rabbane ph for me.
    To try...
    Givenchy gentleman (original)
    Parfum d habit by mpg

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

Azzaro Pour Homme is my pick. I love it.

Some that come to mind:

Cabaret PH
    Cuba Black
    Caesars Man
    Roger & Gallet l'homme
    Taxi

After a lot of thought and research, I decided on Azzaro Pour Homme. Waiting for it in the mail, hopefully it's as delightful as people say it is.