Code of Conduct

Blog Entries

Default Sample of the Day - March 2021

Thanks to everyone who posted in the February thread! Looking forward to reading more of your impressions this month, folks.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Banned

Default Re: Sample of the Day - March 2021

Today, I am wearing my sample of "Dark Rum" EDP from Malin+Goetz.
    I happened to get a free sample from Sephora, BTW, in case anyone was wondering. I think Sephora may actually have a box set of samples for Malin+Goetz perfumes too though.

So..on the subject of "Dark Rum", I personally feel like this fragrance was mis-named. :/
    It doesn't really make me think of rum or booze at all..it has a flowery-woody scent, and it actually makes me think of either chamomile or some other type of herbal tea more than it makes me think of anything else! So, yes..I probably would have categorized this one as a "tea" scent, more than I would have categorized it as a "rum" scent. In fact..it actually reminds me a little bit of Elizabeth Arden's "White Tea" EDT, which I just also tried the other day!
    I think Dark Rum from Malin+Goetz is a very calming and soothing type of scent, which is good for use in aromatherapy..or it could just be worn casually any time!
    I recommend trying it if you are looking for a good scent with wood notes that is done in a more soft and feminine way.

Banned

Today, I'm finally wearing my sample of "Fawn" from Ellis Brooklyn perfumes!
    Okay, so it turns out I actually don't like this one so much! I kind of like the coconut note (which is mostly all I can smell when I first sptitz it on!)
    But..it has some other notes that kind of irritate my nose..probably the lily-of-the-valley for one (although often I like that note in perfume!)
    But..I think also the musk in the base. :/
    Although I often love lily-of-the-valley, I think maybe I hate it mixed with coconut. I can also smell the magnolia in this one too, and I kind of dislike it. :/
    Again..this is one scent I find a bit weird too because it has a warm amber-vanilla-musk base and then (again) it has more fresh and cool notes layered over that on top!
    Again..I think I just feel some of the notes in this one are a bit at odds with each other. In any case..I don't care for this specific note combo..it smells bad to me! :/

Banned

Today, I spritzed on my sample of "West" from Ellis Brooklyn perfumes..and then very quickly decided to "hide" it by spraying myself all over with "Eau D'Energie" from Biotherm!
    It turns out that "West" is actually a masculine orange scent..one of those ones that has that stinky note that I can't stand! (That is found in many popular masculines.)
    Again..I have no idea what the note is! I don't know if it's the "vetiver" listed as a basenote, or if it's iso e super or what, but it smells kind of bad to me and I dislike it! :/
    I can't wear it myself anyway..I spritzed it on and immediately wished I hadn't! It's one scent I wanted to immediately wash off! I felt that way about Ellis Brooklyn's "Fawn" as well, which i wore yesterday and wished I hadn't! It just ruined my whole day..it really irritated my nose!
    Anyway..now I'm also wearing Biotherm's "Eau D'Energie" as well which is a lovely, soft feminine orange scent! (One done in a very delicate and pretty sort of way..no bad notes here!) And..mostly that's all I can smell now so it's all good!

Banned

Today, I am wearing my sample of Valentino "Donna" EDP. (The original from 2015, not one of the flankers..although I have samples of those too which I will try in the coming days! )

I'm pretty sure I've smelled this one lots of times before, either sprayed in the air in a department store, or on other ladies as they walked by me outside or at the mall!
    It smells extremely familiar in any case! I probably could have posted this one in "smelled on the street" too! I just didn't fully realize what I was smelling until now!
    In any case..I really love this perfume actually, and I'm happy to have discovered what it is! It smells fantastic!
    I highly recommend Valentino "Donna" to all women who love a really good, romantic rose-iris scent. I think I predominantly smell the rose note more, but I also get lots of powdery notes (like a little sachel of powder) that are like iris or violet. It's a great scent anyway..you should try it at least once if you haven't yet!

Banned

Today, I'm wearing my sample of Valentino "Donna Acqua" EDT.
    So..yes, first of all I should clarify that this scent is not actually the "EDT version" of "Donna" EDP (which I wore yesterday.)
    "Donna Acqua" is actually a completely different scent, so yes, this one is actually a flanker, not just a less concentrated version of the original.
    This, again, is just a lovely perfume, with a very predominant sweet almond or cherry note..especially when you first spritz it from the bottle. It is not a rose scent..the floral notes in the heart are hawthorn (interestingly), frangipani and jasmine. In any case, it's just a very beautiful perfume..when it dries down a little bit it actually reminds me a bit of "Japanese Cherry Blossom" from Bath and Body Works. Or..it reminds me a lot of something else I've smelled before anyway..but I think I agree with people on Fragrantica that say it makes them think of Japanese Cherry Blossom. It also, of course, smells a lot like amaretto liqueur!
    I highly recommend that everyone try this one too, if you haven't yet! Especially if you're a huge fan of the type of notes I'm describing!

Banned

Today, I'm wearing my sample of Valentino "Donna: Rosa Verde" EDT. Yet another flanker for the Valentino "Donna" fragrance.

Unfortunately, I actually don't care for this one so much. :/ It's official note listing is: Yerba Mate, musk and wood notes in the base (all of which I definitely get a lot), rose, magnolia and osmanthus heart notes and bergamot, petitgrain and ginger top notes.
    Truthfully, when it's first spritzed on the specific note combo in this one also makes me think a bit of lemon-lime, or coriander as well, which is the main reason I'm not so crazy about it. :/ After reading the note listing I totally get that I'm also smelling petitgrain..I have another neroli perfume with petitgrain in the top notes from Yves Rocher as well, and the note absolutely is like what I'm smelling here too. :/ In general, I'm not so crazy about petitgrain though..also not crazy about Yerba Mate as a note in perfume either..I didn't like it in "Amo Ferragamo!" and I don't like it here either. :/ (Truthfully, I don't even like drinking Yerba Mate.)
    So..try this one if you want to, but personally, I wouldn't recommend it. :/ It's not my cup of tea! (Get it? Cup of tea? LOL XD)

Banned

Today, I'm wearing my sample of Valentino "Donna: Born in Roma" EDP.

Again, this is another flanker in the Valentino "Donna" fragrance line. This one, unfortunately, I find to be one of those feminine new release fragrances that is maybe a tad "generic." It has a woody, ambery base, white floral heart and bergamot, black currant and pink pepper top notes. So..it smells highly similar to many perfumes that out there. Personally, I also get a bit of a sweet almond vibe from this one too, although "Donna Acqua" smells like almond or amaretto way, way more! Overall, "Donna: Born in Roma" is okay, but personally I also find it a bit uninteresting as well. Try it if you haven't yet, but personally, I would probably recommend original "Donna" EDP or "Donna Acqua" EDT over this one..I liked both of them more. I also like "Voce Viva!" more than this one too..it's a much better white floral! (That actually smells more purely like white floral too, if you were looking for that.) "Donna: Born in Roma" is just okay, in my humble opinion.

Last night gave another try to Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese.

What a difference wearing on skin makes! I have previously tried on paper among others, and I found the incense/smoke to be overly sharp. I'm also feeling over this kind of fragrance so I was kinda like ugh not another smokey sharp incense.

However, last night wore a spray on my chest before going to bed and it was wonderful! It became much rounder and blended really well with my skin. It is also quite hot where I'm at right now and it was actually wonderful for cutting through the hot sticky feeling here with some dry almost soapy incense.

I do think it contains a hefty dose of ISO E, when I woke up I had that "what smells nice??" fluffy woods effect that ISO E gives. I'm not complaining though, I don't have a problem with ISO E when used well. ISO E is almost annoyingly good, because I know what it is and that it's a cheap trick but still it always works on me.