Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default SOTD: Tuesday, 2nd March, 2021

Scent of the Day Thread for Tuesday, 2nd March, 2021

Useful Links
    * SOTD for yesterday, Monday, 1st March, 2021 (FFD)
    * SOTD for yesterday, Monday, 1st March, 2021 (MFD)
    * SOTD Feature

Basenotes Robot's SOTD
    Today I'm wearing: Honeydew by Dragonfly Blue

Bloop bloop bleep

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: SOTD: Tuesday, 2nd March, 2021

Bois Blanc by Frapin

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Dependent

------------------------------------------------
    For what its worth!

hello all,
    vtg.

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all !. Mrs Q, I sampled Iris Torréfié soon after it's release and came to roughly the same conclusion. Pleasant but unremarkable. Pass.

Amouage Gold.

Good morning.
    Very chilly is these parts today.

My SOTD is Mandarine Basilic.

mandarine.jpg
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Omnia by Bulgari

Blog Entries

Morning all!

lt's cloudy & chilly here too, but it looks like it'll brighten up soon...

l'm wearing Dame Perfumery's Soliflore Mimosa for my late shift today, for a beautiful breath of spring.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Hello all.

Cologne du Parfumeur by Guerlain
    DONNA

Thumbs up Re: SOTD: Tuesday, 2nd March, 2021

Cuir Beluga
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Good morning everyone Today I was in the mood for Lipstick rose, so that is my sotd. Have a great day everyone

Basenotes Plus

Hello and best to everyone. Paco Rabanne Calandre today.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,

Basenotes Plus

La Petite Robe Noire Black Perfecto eau de Parfum Floraleguerlain

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Czech & Speake Citrus Paradisi today
    3x2(nyz)4a

Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
    Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
    --John Keats

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post

Cuir Beluga
    Great choice Roberto. One of my favourites.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Omnia by Bulgari

Kewart and HoP, you smell gorgeous, ladies!
    (Roberto, I'd love to sniff Cuir Beluga some day, I like the sound of it. The last time I was in the store that has the expensive Guerlain line, they didn't have this one. I'll check them out again when the pandemic restrictions are lifted! ...Although I only smelled the other ones on paper only - because I didn't want to fall in love with their expensive line!)

I didn't post much the past week because I was working my ass off, and now I can finally breathe. Wheeew.

My trade package arrived, so I was wearing new perfumes lately and enjoying them. So it was Aqua Solis by Le Couvent des Minimes for the morning - a spicy citrus cologne with mandarine and cardamom by JC Ellena - aaaand Bottega Veneta for the evening! The funny thing is that I first tried Bottega Veneta two years ago and then I found it beautiful but way too much intense for me - so beautiful on paper and sadly almost cloying on my skin. Last year I tried it again and I found it strong and possibly overwhelming, but manageable. Now it feels just right - even quite light - I guess either I got accustomed to the stronger scents or my nose deteriorated badly in the last two years! Uh-oh!

Hope you are having a good start of spring, my scented darlings!
    Currently wearing: Orchid Soleil by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Creed Royal Oud.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Good morning! I am heavily overscented today in my entire sample of Bruno Acampora's Prima T perfume oil.

I wanted to use the whole vial so I could throw it away, thus, even my legs are moisturized with it. Today will be a day of social distancing! I don't think my son will come very close to me for very long.

It'll just be me and my vacuum.
    She who laughs last.....

Polo

Sillage Monster

I'm wearing L'Air du Desert Marocain. Another trip to the dentist today. Yipee!
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

SOTD

Petits Papiers

Hello, everyone, and Trilby, you smell especially great!

It very suddenly got EXTREMELY cold again in Boston. I picked the correct sample for it: 4160 Tuesdays Captured by Candlelight. How have I managed to miss this one for the past 5 years? Must be my fairly recent craving for sweet/spicy comfort scents...

Terrific Tuesday to all!

Captured By Candlelight fragrance notes: Cognac, Cinnamon, Toffee, Stewed fruits, Toasted hazelnuts, Opoponax, Candlewax, Oakwood.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson
    Currently wearing: Sacred Memory by Kerosene

Between two pine trees

Best wishes for an uneventful dentist visit, Trilby!

The weather forecast says it will reach 60F/16C here today, with what we in the middle of the country refer to as "spring breezes," which can mean anything from an actual, pleasant breeze of 5-10mph, all the way up to 40mph gusts. Based on the wind sounds I'm hearing, we're in the gusty range today, probably around 25mph. Hopefully, those "spring breezes" will start drying out some of the muddy muck!

I'm cautiously, optimistically celebrating the arrival of "spring" by wearing Narciso EDP (the white cube). Lovely stuff.
    Currently wearing: Vert des Bois by Tom Ford

Awaiting spring

Blog Entries

Turned to Prada's reliable iris: Infusion d'Iris Cedre.
    The wind is biting cold, but the sunshine and blue skies say
    No one knows what their tomorrow will bring.
    Currently wearing: VIP Room by VIP Room

Maison Tahité Floranilla on this sunny morning, although it is quite chilly in the house.
    Currently wearing: Red Queen by 4160 Tuesdays

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    So it was Aqua Solis by Le Couvent des Minimes for the morning - a spicy citrus cologne with mandarine and cardamom by JC Ellena
    This caught my attention! I didn't know Ellena had ever done any work for Couvent des Minimes, and though there's no reviews on Basenotes, the comments at Fragrantica make this sound pretty wonderful. I'm always up for a good cardamom scent, and adding fig and tea notes appeals. There seems to be a whole new line of botanical colognes from Minimes in the last two years, and I'll definitely be looking for some samples.

- aaaand Bottega Veneta for the evening!
    Joining you! I went unscented til 2pm because of a doctor appointment, but now I'm going to wrap myself in the wonderful plumskin and suede leather of BV original EdP.

Alice, have you tried the L'Absolu flanker of BV? I found I didn't like it nearly as much as the original.

First of all - Trilby, I hope your visit to the dentist goes well!

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    This caught my attention! I didn't know Ellena had ever done any work for Couvent des Minimes, and though there's no reviews on Basenotes, the comments at Fragrantica make this sound pretty wonderful. I'm always up for a good cardamom scent, and adding fig and tea notes appeals. There seems to be a whole new line of botanical colognes from Minimes in the last two years, and I'll definitely be looking for some samples.

Joining you! I went unscented til 2pm because of a doctor appointment, but now I'm going to wrap myself in the wonderful plumskin and suede leather of BV original EdP.

Alice, have you tried the L'Absolu flanker of BV? I found I didn't like it nearly as much as the original.
    As far as I know, JC Ellena is directing Le couvent des minimes right now, probably since he stepped down from Hermes.
    I actually really recommend checking out their page as the creativity and quality seems to be there, and prices are quite friendly. I haven't seen the option to buy the samples (although they do offer 3 samples of choice with a purchase), BUT you can buy a 10 ml travel size of most of perfumes for 5–6 € which is even better than a sample! At least for me 10 ml size is enough for ~30 wears (could be more or less for you depending on how much you spray) and that's really more than enough to fully experience a scent inside and out and decide if a bigger bottle is in order. Now I'm actually interested in trying out more of their scents, too.

As for Aqua Solis, I wonder if that wouldn't be a touch too sweet for you as the mandarin is rather sweet here - but cardamom and spices and a hint of rosemary do tame that and make it more aromatic, so who knows. (For me it feels very unisex though, where Aqua Allegoria Mandarine Basilic or Orange Sanguine skew a little bit more feminine to my nose - but I also probably enjoy those two more; not because of the perceived femininity, but because they're actually showcasing the citrus first and foremost, and in Aqua Solis mandarin is more a team player, not a primadonna).
    EDIT:
    I knew it was too good to be true. Just checked their website again for delivery information and:
    Delivery location
    Le Couvent only delivers Product parcels in mainland France (including Corsica and Monaco).
    Ugh, what.

o_O okay.

Anyway.
    Yay for Bottega Veneta mini synch!

I haven't tried BV L'Absolu - only the original BV and BV Legere was available in our stores, and now even that supply is slowly drying up. I liked both a lot, felt like Legere was easier to wear and the original felt cooler. Would be happy with any of them TBH.
    Last edited by ClockworkAlice; 2nd March 2021 at 09:05 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Frapin 1270

It seems that I joined in the mini sync for Bottega Veneta EDP, it was my day and evening scent. I love wearing Bottega Veneta during the transitional seasons - autumn is the top favourite season for BV but spring is a close second!

ExtremeK - it was only 16C here today and we had to put the central heating on!
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.
    Currently wearing: Tiare by Ormonde Jayne

Yay for CuddleCat joining the Bottega Veneta mini synch!

...and as for Le couvent des minimes, I found some hope reading their product delivery terms in another section:

Product delivery terms

FRANCE – STANDARD FRANCE & ACCESS – Presentation WITHOUT signature

The contribution to delivery costs is €5. This price applies to deliveries in mainland France only (including Corsica and Monaco).For delivery in other countries, the cost may vary.

Standard delivery is free for all orders of €75 or more. The guide delivery time provided by La Poste (the French post office) is 24 to 48 hours after LE COUVENT makes the parcel available to La Poste. The recipient can track the parcel using the parcel number sent by email, or by contacting the Customer Services department.

It still boggles me that they would write that they only deliver in France in one place and then add a line about shipping fees for delivery elsewhere. Very confusing.