Code of Conduct

Default Im Stuck, suggest me a new Spring/Summer scent - trying to stay around $100 for 100ml or less

Been wanting a new spring/summer scent that I can use when I do not wear Tom Ford Grey Vetiver EdP.

I have had the following:

Acqua di Parma Essenza (white floral, so so) and Colonia (nice but it is gone after 3 hours). Essenza was a go-to but I want something more upbeat, bright even if that makes sense.

Terre D'Hermes, wore every version, sold every version, but thinking of if I go back, the EdT. I mean cheap enough at Fragrencenet for the EdT and EdT's I think project more.

Mancera Cedrat Boise, perfect longevity and projection, 2nd summer, was more black currant than citrus So I sold it.

Guerlain l"eau Boisee - lime for like 5 minutes,. scent disappeared after an hour. But it had that fun bright quality. If it had lasted 3 or 4 hours, I would have kept it

Drakkar Noir - liked, lemony on me, gone after 4 but hey, its cheap. I could get this as a second cologne if I find another cheapie at Frangrancenet

Various Atelier Colognes, gone in an hour

Chanel Allure Homme Sport, Edition Blanche and Homme Sport Cologne - on me the Sport Cologne lasted the best but was very piercing. Edition Blanche, I could not smell. Egoiste never could I smell cinnamon.

So thinking of a new scent, from Macys/Sephora/Fragrancenet. If cheap enough at Fragrancenet, could get 2. I do like citrus, but the marine or acquatic notes, not a big fan nor that salty vibe. Could never grow to like Creed Virgin Island Water. I do like them to project and last and loud is fine - I mean, I wear Histories de Parfum 1740 Marquis de Sade and Chanel Coromandel to work.

Dior Homme Cologne - floral as I recall
    Dior Homme Sport - maybe, but I tended to gravitate to the DHC
    Dior Eau Sauvage EdP - lavendar? I mean they have it at my Sephora and I think Fragrancenet
    Acqua di Gio Profumo - wore the first AdG a ton back in the day
    Mugler Cologne - soapy? short lived? Can't find the 100ml on Fragrancenet
    Chanel Pour Monsigneur - does it have lavendar?

Top of my price list:
    Mancera Lemon LIne
    Mancera Aoud Mint
    Acqua di Parma Colonia Pura- been curious how it compares to the Colonia. I don't think we have AdP locally because the one Sephora I went in, it was not there.

Thinking out loud but suggest others
    Last edited by finsfan; 3rd March 2021 at 07:20 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Im Stuck, suggest me a new Spring/Summer scent - trying to stay around $100 for 100ml or less

Gucci Pour Homme II

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Im Stuck, suggest me a new Spring/Summer scent - trying to stay around $100 for 100ml or less

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    Mancera Lemon LIne
    I'd go with this
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Aramis Tuscany? I'm in love with this stuff, especially in hotter weather. I have longevity issues but I also have only ever tried vintage. 30ml of vintage can be had for around 50 bucks.
    "No one wants advice - only corroboration." - John Steinbeck
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Vintage Cool Water

Lemon Line is a good one!
    My Top '12':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco/Aoud Vanille
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - Initio: Side Effect
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - Vermeil: Pour Homme

Spray your clothes some of the ones you mentioned not lasting last all day and easily smelled by others at the end of the day for me. Not everyone’s skin is the same and fragrance does just fine on cotton undershirts I hear this so many times with performance which can be overcome by spraying clothing and still enjoying the fragrances. It’s a matter of choice but you can still wear and enjoy a fragrance even if your skin doesn’t work with it.

Acqua di Parma Colonia Pura
    Mancera Lemon Line
    Current Top Favorites:

Ralph Lauren Polo
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017
    Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Costume National Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Caron Le 3ème Homme
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP

Basenotes Junkie

From ur list eau sauvage and chanel pm.
    Penhaligons castile if u like adp essenza.
    Sartorial if u like drakkar noir.

Gs03 from biehl parfumwarksten
    Guerlain vetiver extreme

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

Nicolaï‘s freshies last very long and are top notch. A little over 100 for 100ml, but the 30mls are very fair priced and you don‘t need a lot. L‘Eau Mixte and Eau de Sport are both citrus heavy and very well done.

Many great ideas beginning with the initial post and amply completed by equally informative replies, also adding:
    Best of Chevignon, Lalique White, Eau des Missions by Le Couvent des Minimes, Dior Dune PH, Fougere Royale by Houbigant
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

EAU Sauvage EDP will be excellent for Spring/Summer and beyond. Citrus with a real backbone!

Quote Originally Posted by ION-ONE View Post
    EAU Sauvage EDP will be excellent for Spring/Summer and beyond. Citrus with a real backbone!
    Probably the Dior I would like most, but Dior Homme Sport, while it seems to last and project on me, has no citrus to my nose. It is a bit powdery, and a small bit on the floral side. Very nice, and I think my wife would like it. But no something that uplifts me or energizes me

Back in 1980, I wore Eau Sauvage like nothing else in summer. It was a brighter and more lemon type of smell. Wore that and Paco Rabanne so much. Even got the ES aftershave balm

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Spray your clothes some of the ones you mentioned not lasting last all day and easily smelled by others at the end of the day for me. Not everyone’s skin is the same and fragrance does just fine on cotton undershirts I hear this so many times with performance which can be overcome by spraying clothing and still enjoying the fragrances. It’s a matter of choice but you can still wear and enjoy a fragrance even if your skin doesn’t work with it.

Acqua di Parma Colonia Pura
    Mancera Lemon Line
    Always was reluctant to spray clothes, thinking that the scent would not wash out. Spraying an undershirt works because heck, they are the cheapest compared to shirts and sweaters.

How about L'Eau d'issey Pour Homme? A fresh floral classic that is quite affordable.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

New ES EDP you should find to be a very satisfying update to the o.g you know and love. Citrus opening is Cedrat and it lasts well into the journey of the fragrance

Well you like Colonia and Essenza, so how about Arancia di Capri. It goes further into the orange side of citrus.

As to Pura, it didn't grab me like colonia and many of the others, but it is growing on me, but need more wearings. It seems more subtle/less loud to me compared to regular colonia. Not enough wearings in warm weather to compare longevity......

Don't overlook the wonderful Caron Troisième Homme, it lasts really well and has a good development. A bit of a citrus/anise opening, a bit floral, comforting and great for warmer weather. It has depth and richness while still being fresh.

Listed notes include:
    Top - Lavender, Rosemary, Anise, Bergamot
    Heart - Geranium, Jasmin, Rose, Fern, Carnation
    Base - Amber, Musk, Moss, Cedarwood, Patchouli, Tonka, Vanilla

The following are something to at least consider.

Guerlain Homme EdP
    Baldessarini Del Mar
    Kenzo Pour Homme
    Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey
    Prada Luna Rossa Carbon
    Bvlgari Aqva

"Green Water", Jacques Fath ? I don't know if it is still available.
    Currently wearing: Xeryus by Givenchy

Hermès eau de citron noir

So many recommendations, but I don't think you can do better than Chanel Pour Monsieur EDT. I'm not familiar with the EDP, but the EDT is absolutely perfect for spring. Citrus, aromatic, and slightly resinous in the base. I prefer it to eau sauvage.

I also am a big advocate for Cartier declaration essence. I like it much better than the original.
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Eau Sauvage Edp 2017 - Don't let any negative notions you may have about Eau Sauvage Edt keep you from trying this beauty.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

How about Paco Rabanne pour Homme?

Fresh enough for spring/summer, interesting enough, and lasts long enough.
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami Vetiver by Hermès

Match Point (2020)
    by Lacoste

Nice recent release that is affordable enough for you to spring for another.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    How about Paco Rabanne pour Homme?

Fresh enough for spring/summer, interesting enough, and lasts long enough.
    Back in say 1979-1982 or so, I wore this. This and the Dior Eau Savauge. Then the first Calvin Klein came out in the blue bottle, then Oscar de le Renta had his, and Halston came out with the I-12 and Z-14. And Quorom and Kourous So a couple of years ago I tried the Paco, and it was nothing like I remembered. And it lasted so short on me. So my problem is I do not enjoy Paco for what it is NOW, but always finding it to fall short of what I RECALL it was, i get disappointed with it

Quote Originally Posted by DonBos View Post
    So many recommendations, but I don't think you can do better than Chanel Pour Monsieur EDT. I'm not familiar with the EDP, but the EDT is absolutely perfect for spring. Citrus, aromatic, and slightly resinous in the base. I prefer it to eau sauvage.
    I think I sampled the EdP and it had lavender and was more of a barbershop. I usually prefer EDP over EDT as the parfum lasts longer. I’m thinking for summer going with the toilette will give me better projection and more citrus and hopefully last almost as long

The Chanel is up there in my thinking with the Dior Homme Cologne and Homme Sport. Maybe revisit the TdH EDT. Dolce Light Blue was nice and at times I felt like I got grapefruit, but did not project. Been reading up on an Armaf for summer, like Aventus. Asnomic to Aventus. The Acqua di Parma range I think to underpin the citrus the florals have to be there, or woods, and the white florals have passed me bu

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I haven't tried it but how about the new Hermes H24?
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami Vetiver by Hermès

Prada Luna Rossa - the original.

Owned this one years ago, and can't remember why I got rid of it. I just bought a new bottle the other day and was wowed by it.
    It's like Prada L'Homme without Iris, and Luna Rossa is more appropriate for warm/hot weather in my opinion than L'Homme. No one does "clean" like Prada, and Luna Rossa continues that aesthetic masterfully. It reminds me at times of Prada Infusion D'Homme in that it has that same soapy/clean smell in a good way. It also has spearmint which adds a briskness and body to it, along with a well done dose of Ambroxan in the base to give it a little more longevity and projection. It's not "groundbreaking" in the sense that it's territory that's been covered before, but it does so better than most other fragrances in the genre.

The bottle I got has a 2019 batch code, and it performed very well for me, so if it has been reformulated, it's been done well. That's one thing I can say about Prada as a house in general - if there have been reformulations to their well-known hits, like L'Homme and Amber Pour Homme, they've been done exceedingly well to the point that I can't tell the difference between new and vintage, and Luna Rossa is no exception. Very glad I revisited this fragrance.