Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What was ordered Vs What was received

Thought I'd create a thread to allow fellow basenoters to share and blow off some steam from failed orders.

What I ordered:

s-l500.jpg

What they sent me:

IMG_8031.jpg

The customer service rep didn't understand what the problem was after several attempts to explain. Ugh!

Of course they don't have another one to replace it with.

I知 not old, I知 vintage.

Default Re: What was ordered Vs What was received

Where from?

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Where from?
    Good ole' FragranceNet. The chat customer service rep was trying to convince me that it's the same fragrance in a new presentation/package.

They ultimately gave me a return shipping label. Now I must wait for 2 weeks for them to get the return and another 7-10 days for bank to process credit.

I知 not old, I知 vintage.

Yeah, ordered a vintage Carlo Corinto from FragNet and got Carlo Corinto Classic, so I had to return it. But they were perfectly nice about it.

Yeah, ordered a vintage Carlo Corinto from FragNet and got Carlo Corinto Classic, so I had to return it. But they were perfectly nice about it.
    Did you ever get a vintage Carlo Corinto?

I知 not old, I知 vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by nosey74 View Post
    Did you ever get a vintage Carlo Corinto?
    Nah, I dropped it in favor of other shiny things that crossed my path.

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Thought I'd create a thread to allow fellow basenoters to share and blow off some steam from failed orders.

What I ordered:

s-l500.jpg

What they sent me:

IMG_8031.jpg

The customer service rep didn't understand what the problem was after several attempts to explain. Ugh!

Of course they don't have another one to replace it with.
    Bummer. PM sent.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

Nah, I dropped it in favor of other shiny things that crossed my path.
    Sounds like me too. PS - I ended up getting a 50ml vintage GG and a silver cap modern GG for a great deal so the mixup turned out to be a blessing.

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Sounds like me too. PS - I ended up getting a 50ml vintage GG and a silver cap modern GG for a great deal so the mixup turned out to be a blessing.
    Oh.. Ignore PM then

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Oh.. Ignore PM then
    My revenge:

gg1.jpg

gg2.jpg

Banned

I hope this doesn't sound like an annoying question, but
    just out of curiosity, if you're a collector of original vintage scents, how do you actually go about finding and obtaining those?
    I would think that might be a trickier thing to collect. :/
    I used to know a guy (or was sort of acquainted with him anyway) who collected and sold old and "antique" postcards, and I think he found them through certain dealers.
    (Or I guess other collectors too.) I would think collecting vintage fragrances or vintage or "antique" perfume bottles would be sort of like that too..I guess you would have to find things mostly through connections with other collectors and trade and swap? But yeah..I would think most of these online stores probably don't carry original vintage things..and yeah..they shouldn't be using a photo like that if that's not what it is. They should use the photo of the actual item they're selling.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyDragonFire View Post
    I hope this doesn't sound like an annoying question, but
    just out of curiosity, if you're a collector of original vintage scents, how do you actually go about finding and obtaining those?
    Not an annoying question at all. The majority of my vintage fragrances come from eBay but I've been lucky a few times at thrift stores and estate sales. I also purchased and traded here with other basenoters. There are also a few brick and mortar fragrance shops that sell vintage fragrances as well like Beverly Hills Perfumery though they are not listed on their website - you'll have to call the store and speak with Alan or visit his eBay shop.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyDragonFire View Post
    But yeah..I would think most of these online stores probably don't carry original vintage things..and yeah..they shouldn't be using a photo like that if that's not what it is. They should use the photo of the actual item they're selling.
    FragranceNet sometimes sells vintage and discontinued fragrances and I've gotten lucky a few times before. The fragrance I'm griping about has a confusing name because Givenchy has a dozen fragrances with the same name - Gentleman by Givenchy EDT, Gentleman by Givenchy EDP, Gentleman Original by Givenchy, and their respective gift sets. I don't doubt they had the fragrance I intended to buy, rather, I think the FragranceNet fulfillment team got confused or maybe they ran out and made an executive decision to offer a substitute which happens to have the same words in the title in a different order?

I don't trust stock photos on eBay and always ask sellers if what is pictured is actually what is being sold.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

I once many years ago ordered a Vintage Balafre EDT directly from Lancome and they sent me a Vintage After Shave. Wasn't happy, but they soon rectified their mistake.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I once many years ago ordered a Vintage Balafre EDT directly from Lancome and they sent me a Vintage After Shave. Wasn't happy, but they soon rectified their mistake.
    Mistakes are bound to happen it's how it's handled that can keep or lose a customer. Glad to hear Lancome rectified your order. One of these days I'll add a vintage Balafre to my inspired by Hednic collection.

Default What was ordered Vs What was received

I believe that the run of the mill online perfume store do not really understand (or even care) the concept of vintage, different batch codes or even special (rare) editions. It is simply not in their interest commercially.

I once inquired with Notino about Armaf CDNIM EDP (which was/is a special edition not widely sold) and they claimed that the EDP is strictly the female CDN version (just an example - I actually dislike CDNIM greatly by now).

So for them if the name fits it壮 what they sell - no matter age, year, batch, etc. and I wouldn奏 go by the exact image as they can sometimes be misleading.

Those stores sell to the mainstream customer that does not give a single thought about age, version, batch code, etc.

At least how I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dependent

It has happened to me several times, but only once did it bother me.

Eau Sauvage Parfum - the photo was the 2012 version, but I received the 2017 one. I knew this was a possibility and wanted the 2017 anyway, so no big deal.

La Fille de Berlin - photo was the older label but I got the new big, black ugly one. Again, I kind of expected it. It's the worst Serge Lutens I own, so it doesn't bother me either.

Bogart Signature - I ordered a small, older 30ml bottle to compare with the current. I actually received an even older bottle than the one pictured, but it wasn't full. The seller said she made a mistake and I believe her. I got a partial refund.

Now, the one that did upset me: Avon Spicy after shave. I hate the tacky decanters, so I paid more for a normal looking bottle like this:

But, I received three of these:

I actually got more product, but it most definitely wasn't what I ordered. I got a full refund.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Had a classic, had ordered something that looked like a quite good but not too great to believe deal and the next day received a mail. It said they were having issues with a new storage site and suspected I might receive the wrong item, to not get all worked up and let them know and they would take care of it. Then a couple days later another mail saying they think they did have it right, but mentioned a 4 ounce size where the picture was for a 5 ounce. Told them that and they said wait and see. So skip ahead when the package arrives and I get.... 0.04 ounce!!!! Yep, it was samples at bottle price.... I took pics of it and even of the shipping label showing the package weight, sent them, and got a full refund plus complimentary samples...... Since they hard warned first was never peeved, but it's still kind of funny....

nosey74, if you don't mind, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the vintage vs. current GG! I've never smell the vintage but think the new one is very nice.

Personally, I've been lucky so far with no mixed up orders nor broken, leaked, fake or visibly pre-used new bottles. Knock on wood!
    Spray less, love more.

Dependent

It's hit or miss sometimes, it's true. I ordered Timbuktu from Fragrancenet last year, figuring it was now or never if I was going to avoid the ugly new dark bottles, and when it arrived I was happily surprised to see an original eight-sided bottle with the old round cap.
    Currently wearing: Potion by Dsquared2

Quote Originally Posted by Fugufish View Post
    I believe that the run of the mill online perfume store do not really understand (or even care) the concept of vintage, different batch codes or even special (rare) editions. It is simply not in their interest commercially.

I once inquired with Notino about Armaf CDNIM EDP (which was/is a special edition not widely sold) and they claimed that the EDP is strictly the female CDN version (just an example - I actually dislike CDNIM greatly by now).

So for them if the name fits it‘s what they sell - no matter age, year, batch, etc. and I wouldn‘t go by the exact image as they can sometimes be misleading.

Those stores sell to the mainstream customer that does not give a single thought about age, version, batch code, etc.

At least how I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    It has happened to me several times, but only once did it bother me.

Eau Sauvage Parfum - the photo was the 2012 version, but I received the 2017 one. I knew this was a possibility and wanted the 2017 anyway, so no big deal.

La Fille de Berlin - photo was the older label but I got the new big, black ugly one. Again, I kind of expected it. It's the worst Serge Lutens I own, so it doesn't bother me either.

Bogart Signature - I ordered a small, older 30ml bottle to compare with the current. I actually received an even older bottle than the one pictured, but it wasn't full. The seller said she made a mistake and I believe her. I got a partial refund.

Now, the one that did upset me: Avon Spicy after shave. I hate the tacky decanters, so I paid more for a normal looking bottle like this:

But, I received three of these:

I actually got more product, but it most definitely wasn't what I ordered. I got a full refund.

Thanks for sharing. I wish sellers would post actual pictures of items for sale and honor it!

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post
    Had a classic, had ordered something that looked like a quite good but not too great to believe deal and the next day received a mail. It said they were having issues with a new storage site and suspected I might receive the wrong item, to not get all worked up and let them know and they would take care of it. Then a couple days later another mail saying they think they did have it right, but mentioned a 4 ounce size where the picture was for a 5 ounce. Told them that and they said wait and see. So skip ahead when the package arrives and I get.... 0.04 ounce!!!! Yep, it was samples at bottle price.... I took pics of it and even of the shipping label showing the package weight, sent them, and got a full refund plus complimentary samples...... Since they hard warned first was never peeved, but it's still kind of funny....
    Sounds like they had good intentions but something went wrong. That was nice of them to send you some samples.

Quote Originally Posted by motorcade View Post
    nosey74, if you don't mind, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the vintage vs. current GG! I've never smell the vintage but think the new one is very nice.

Personally, I've been lucky so far with no mixed up orders nor broken, leaked, fake or visibly pre-used new bottles. Knock on wood!

I will try to give my impressions regarding vintage vs silver cap modern version of GG but I warn you I am terrible at describing fragrances.

Glad to hear you haven't had any bad purchasing experiences - hope your good fortune continues!

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    It's hit or miss sometimes, it's true. I ordered Timbuktu from Fragrancenet last year, figuring it was now or never if I was going to avoid the ugly new dark bottles, and when it arrived I was happily surprised to see an original eight-sided bottle with the old round cap.
    It's always nice when things work out for the best - happy to hear you got what you wanted! Sometimes FragNet can positively surprise me too!

Good ole' FragranceNet. The chat customer service rep was trying to convince me that it's the same fragrance in a new presentation/package.

They ultimately gave me a return shipping label. Now I must wait for 2 weeks for them to get the return and another 7-10 days for bank to process credit.
    Excellent. They need to be clear about what is being sold. Just the presentation is enough to justify a return.
    Sometimes buying in fragrancenet is like “blindbuying”.
    I don稚 understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Excellent. They need to be clear about what is being sold. Just the presentation is enough to justify a return.
    Sometimes buying in fragrancenet is like “blindbuying”.
    The fragrant Wild Wild West (cue music from the movie The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly)

Several years ago there was a individual here who was looking for a bottle of Creed Tabarome Millesime on ebay. To his surprise he wound getting a bottle of Vintage Tabarome, it was a tester bottle. The seller didn't know what it was so that individual struck gold.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Several years ago there was a individual here who was looking for a bottle of Creed Tabarome Millesime on ebay. To his surprise he wound getting a bottle of Vintage Tabarome, it was a tester bottle. The seller didn't know what it was so that individual struck gold.
    Love to hear those kinds of stories!

I think I found the thread you were referencing - what a fun read!

https://www.basenotes.net/threads/27...-windup!/page3

Love to hear those kinds of stories!

I think I found the thread you were referencing - what a fun read!

https://www.basenotes.net/threads/27...-windup!/page3
    That's the one.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

The fragrant Wild Wild West (cue music from the movie The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly)

Hahaha! Most likely!
    I don稚 understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Hahaha! Most likely!
    Yeah..sometimes when I test new fragrances (that I had zero previous knowledge of) I kind of feel like it can be like this too! XD
    The good, the bad and the ugly! That's very apt..I couldn't come up with a better way of putting that myself! XD

Banned

This is sort of off topic, but,
    recently, I've been re-watching all the episodes of Two and a Half Men on Amazon Prime video, and there is this one episode where Alan Harper is sitting on the couch watching some movie, and Charlie walks in and he goes, "oh, what are you watching?"
    And Alan says, "A Clint Eastwood movie!" And Charlie (of course very surprised) says "Oh! Which one?"
    Alan says, "The Bridges of Madison County!"
    And Charlie goes, "Oh come on! Even Clint Eastwood doesn't think that's a Clint Eastwood movie!"

Heaven's made of oakmoss

A couple of days ago I almost pulled the trigger on a bottle of silver-shoulders Kouros, but something told me I'd better double check it. After writing the Seller THREE times, he finally responded with a photo of the actual item. And sure enough...
    The listed item:

The actual item:

Idiot...

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    A couple of days ago I almost pulled the trigger on a bottle of silver-shoulders Kouros, but something told me I'd better double check it. After writing the Seller THREE times, he finally responded with a photo of the actual item. And sure enough...
    The listed item:

The actual item:

Idiot...
    Not an idiot. He was trying to burn someone. He knew what he was doing. Too many dishonest sellers use old stock photos to lure people who want vintage bottles. He ignored you the first 2 times hoping you'd bite.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader