Code of Conduct

Default what are your guidlines for picking fragrance for spring, summer, fall, and winter?

when you start your day how do you choose your fragrance according to the temp and cloudiness outsides, from a notes standpoint? or any other decision mechanism?
    thx

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: what are your guidlines for picking fragrance for spring, summer, fall, and winter?

For me it's totally random and I simply choose one from my collection at night to wear the next day, and then one later in the early afternoon to wear in the evening. The process repeats daily unless I am on vacation.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: what are your guidlines for picking fragrance for spring, summer, fall, and winter?

As a very general rule, I tend to choose heavier, spicy fragrances in the Winter - mostly orientals. (Fendi, Visa, Theorema,
    Cinnabar. Loulou etc.)

I reach for lighter florals in Springtime with notes of mimosa, jonquil, l.o.t.v. and
    hyacinth etc. or I go for fruity scents. (Y, Bombay Bling, Nirmala, Un Jardin Clos, Un Jour se Leve.)

In the height of Summer my thoughts turn to citric based scents and maybe even
    a few oceanic notes ("O" de Lancome, Eau de Rochas, Mandarine Basilic,)

Autumn is the season I turn to woodsy, fruity, patchouli and/or mossy perfumes (Mitsouko, Feminite du Bois,
    Samsara, Roma, Mauboussin etc.)

I don't necessarily keep to these rules but I do tend to be swayed by the weather in my perfume
    choices.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Bal d'Afrique by Byredo

i have a collection of fragrances in my cabinet that is my go to group of half a dozen. The rest are in a drawer and get fewer picks. In winter the scents in the cabinet are different from the ones in summer.

Mine: don’t complicate or overthink.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Few to none so far. Apart from avoiding heavy leathery/animalic, sweet gourmand and/or too pungently exotic spices in sweltering summer heat (but even there, mostly in the 30-40 Celsius and occasionally even above temperatures) pretty much anything (else) masculine and/or unisex goes through the nearly entire year
    Currently wearing: Derrick by Orlane

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Few to none so far. Apart from avoiding heavy leathery/animalic, sweet gourmand and/or too pungently exotic spices in sweltering summer heat (but even there, mostly in the 30-40 Celsius and occasionally even above temperatures) pretty much anything (else) masculine and/or unisex goes through the nearly entire year
    Same here

If anything the temperature would have the most impact in my decision but it would come most down to preference, the mood, and the occasion.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

I close my eyes and point. Of course, sometimes this means I end up wearing the cat all day.

The moment I wake up, before I put on my makeup, when I brush my hair, I choose which batch to wear. Weather/temperature, objectives and goals, what I haven't worn lately can all be a part of it.

All Is Beautiful

Randomly pick the first one. The second or third sometimes riff off the first one. For example, a natural that is strong in resins might follow with a second resiny scent, or vintage often follows vintage.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Basenotes Plus

Mostly I'll wear whatever whenever, but right now at the end of this long, confined winter I need to smell something fresh and green. For my sanity's sake.
    Currently wearing: Lost Cherry by Tom Ford