Code of Conduct

Thread: Smell of Blood

Basenotes Member

Default Smell of Blood

Hi guys, from what I understand the smell of blood is mainly given by trans-4,5-epoxy-(E)-2-decenal. Does any of you know if this will be stable in a perfume over time and where to get it from?

Or any of you have any suggestions with which materials to start in a blood accord?

Thank you.

Default Re: Smell of Blood

Its damned hard to get. And expensive when you do.

I spent a great deal of time in "bodily fluid accords". Blood was my first and skin far only real success.

I think blood accords must be one of those accords people gravitate towards when they start widening their horizons with more obscure perfumery. I had a dabble myself, and I've seen quite a few people attempt it.

Rose oxide works well. Look into adding a tiny amount of ozonics, and there are a few metallic scents that I can't quite remember the names of off the top of my head. I'll have a butchers once I get the chance.

The chemical you mentioned sounds interesting. Since you live in the UK we could look into splitting a batch if you find more information about it? I do question what the shelf life would be on it though being an aldehyde.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ockin View Post
    I think blood accords must be one of those accords people gravitate towards when they start widening their horizons with more obscure perfumery. I had a dabble myself, and I've seen quite a few people attempt it.

Rose oxide works well. Look into adding a tiny amount of ozonics, and there are a few metallic scents that I can't quite remember the names of off the top of my head. I'll have a butchers once I get the chance.

The chemical you mentioned sounds interesting. Since you live in the UK we could look into splitting a batch if you find more information about it? I do question what the shelf life would be on it though being an aldehyde.
    If I get my hands on some of it I'd be very happy to share it.
    Cheers for that.

Break it down into smells instead of specific chemicals. Blood is metallic and musky and a bit rich IMO, but you might have to get your hands on some to smell. The old stuff stinks, the new stuff is more pleasant IMO. I'll spitball down below.

Rose Oxide is definitely metallic and a bit waxy and green. Some salt would help with the savory aspect. Aldehydes add some bite. Many aldehydes and green notes can be metal in the right dilution. I think C-12 MNA smells like sharp soap and detergent, but I could see it being metallic. Lots of things could add to metal. Anything pungent and bitter like citrus rind, soap, butyls.

I'm probably gonna try PA's salt accords and see how they smell. Sometimes salt accords can smell like soap, not very good. But I think salt, musk, and metal are important in a blood accord.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by WitchingWell View Post
    Break it down into smells instead of specific chemicals. Blood is metallic and musky and a bit rich IMO, but you might have to get your hands on some to smell. The old stuff stinks, the new stuff is more pleasant IMO. I'll spitball down below.

Rose Oxide is definitely metallic and a bit waxy and green. Some salt would help with the savory aspect. Aldehydes add some bite. Many aldehydes and green notes can be metal in the right dilution. I think C-12 MNA smells like sharp soap and detergent, but I could see it being metallic. Lots of things could add to metal. Anything pungent and bitter like citrus rind, soap, butyls.

I'm probably gonna try PA's salt accords and see how they smell. Sometimes salt accords can smell like soap, not very good. But I think salt, musk, and metal are important in a blood accord.

These are some great starting points thank you so much.
    Last edited by AlexMeno; 6th March 2021 at 09:23 AM.