Code of Conduct

Default Processing orris root for tincture experiment

Hey. I want to tincture some orris and have the traditional variety used in my garden. I dug a chunk up, cleaned it up and peeled it, then dried it a little in a warm place. March in England has surprisingly different weather to July in Italy, so that was the only option. It now needs to be fully dried and aged I guess before tincturing.

Anyone else tried this? I'm wondering if I should cut it up now or before making the tincture. I presume the second option will be harder, but it will be easier to store one chunk.

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Processing orris root for tincture experiment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DouLylJxImk
    See this.....It will be useful to you... it is shot in the typical areas of Iris in Italy (the Tuscany region) where the iris is also called "giaggiolo" .....it should be cut after cleaning and washing and before drying .... and in any case do not wait for aging before cutting it, because it becomes hard as a stone!! (I have collected, cleaned and cut and aged 10 kg at least, I have experience ... ;-)

In the traditional method the iris rhizomes, after beeing harvested, peeled and sun-dried, are aged for about three years. The ageing is necessary for developing of irones.
    For industrial production, they use ionizing radiations to accelerate the process of ageing.
    I have an iris tincture in progress now. I had an aged Iris pallida rhizome from a friend. That is the variety of iris that was traditionally cultivated in Tuscany.
    I just finely chopped it in the mortary and put it into natural grain alcohol 95. I will leave it for 3 months, shaking it more or less once a day. It has been going for two months now.
    I have made a tincture before with iris powder bought from a store; it worked out not bad, but very faint and too woody.
    I hope this one will be better. They say that all depends on the quality of rhizomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffita View Post
    In the traditional method the iris rhizomes, after beeing harvested, peeled and sun-dried, are aged for about three years. The ageing is necessary for developing of irones.
    For industrial production, they use ionizing radiations to accelerate the process of ageing.
    I have an iris tincture in progress now. I had an aged Iris pallida rhizome from a friend. That is the variety of iris that was traditionally cultivated in Tuscany.
    I just finely chopped it in the mortary and put it into natural grain alcohol 95. I will leave it for 3 months, shaking it more or less once a day. It has been going for two months now.
    I have made a tincture before with iris powder bought from a store; it worked out not bad, but very faint and too woody.
    I hope this one will be better. They say that all depends on the quality of rhizomes.
    Thank you - I have just chopped them up before they get too hard! Interesting texture in this semi-dried state. Sort of waxy.

Lovely video, thanks!